As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Empire of Sin] As far back as I can remember, I wanted to be a gangster king

KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels StupendousRegistered User regular
edited November 2020 in Games and Technology
nu3jbaawctp9.jpg
h9v05j17jrb7.jpg
Empire of Sin Steam Page

Release Date: December 1
This thread is for talking about the videogame Empire of Sin, a paradox hybrid of a strategy game of running a hooch smuggling empire in prohibition and XCOM-style combat on the ground. You can pick from a variety of crimebosses, each with their own special abilities, and set yourself a crew, each with their own personalities, and create an empire of sin in 1920s Chicago. The crimeboss you don’t pick becomes a character in the game world and acts like their own faction in a strategy game like Paradox’s other faire. Do diplomacy with the bosses, keeping peace in da underworld, or whip out your tommy gun in da middle of they’re office and make them go lights out! They can war on you, and all of them can gun for your ‘respectable’ businesses, including John Romero’s Mexican Crimelord (crimelady?) (Crimeboss) grandmother transplanted to Chicago.

I got so excited for this I began making a prohibition setting in a TTRPG I’m making. It’s a lot of fun! Let’s discuss the game!
LA Noire Soundtrack LA Noire is about 20 years later and a detective game but I really love its ambient music and it seems appropriate for the time period to get you in the mood.

Kadoken on

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    All this bumping gums ain't gonna make the giggle juice bring in the cabage!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Game's out! Excited! Downloading now!

One thing I noticed is that the game has those esoteric and sometimes experimental guns from Battlefield 1 which makes sense since it takes place in the 20s but is interesting since I imagine a good number of those are military only (you know, for the degree of "military only" in the US at the time) or made in very few numbers.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Brenda Romero's about to make you an offer you can't refuse.

Anyway, very first impressions, it's Mob XCOM. I'm on board with that.

Only question is which boss I wanna play. I'm leaning towards the heavily tattooed carny.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I chose Capone because he seemed like a good first choice. Next I want to be the Irish-Irish guy (love that they have the flags denoting nationality) and possibly very nicely dressed man in tophat and tux.

Guns sound good, I feel like there's good feedback for hits and kills, and the game is pretty.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Brenda Romero's about to make you an offer you can't refuse.

Anyway, very first impressions, it's Mob XCOM. I'm on board with that.

Only question is which boss I wanna play. I'm leaning towards the heavily tattooed carny.

As long as there's no Fuck You minibosses, I'm interested.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I just came across this game on Switch

Has Paradox done anything on Switch before? I'd love to play this on my tv instead of my laptop

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Playing this and I'm a bit confused. My monthly take is like 1700, my two crew members get 2% and yet they're taking 300 a piece which is making it impossible for me to make money. Is this a glitch?

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Playing this and I'm a bit confused. My monthly take is like 1700, my two crew members get 2% and yet they're taking 300 a piece which is making it impossible for me to make money. Is this a glitch?

I feel like you could just ask someone down the hallway this question? I mean you clearly own the Studio that made it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I have the same thing happening

I've been roaming the streets attacking derelict buildings and ransacking them to make money so far

I bought it on Steam, by the way. I'm hoping bug fixes and feature updates happen and lord knows consoles get those slowly

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    It’s a pretty bad game!

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    More like Empire of (Throw it in the Garbage) Bin.

• Options
    edited December 2020

No. It's not explained at all, but every gangster has a minimum take. For the starter gangsters their take is either 2% of what you make or 300 bucks, whichever is higher. Gangsters that insist on a higher % take also have a higher minimum they want to be paid.

So you'll be paying them 300 bucks at least, and more if your profits start increasing.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Tube wrote: »
    It’s a pretty bad game!

Agreed, but I think a lot of the structure is there to be improved upon. It'll be interesting to see if they make enough improvements to sell the planned expansion content

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I think I’m going to use Nintendo fun bucks to buy this game.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Aww I was looking forward to this one. Sounds like I should give it a few months and check back

• Options
    It’s a pretty bad game!

What’s not working about it?

• Options
    It’s a pretty bad game!

Short answer: Every mechanic in the game is mediocre in execution

For the most part (I am really early in the game) I think everything has a solid foundation and there's nothing I've run into that's made me dislike playing, but there isn't a single aspect where I don't feel like they put in enough work/substance/depth.

It kind of feels like you bought a DVD that only contains the storyboards of the movie

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    It’s a pretty bad game!

The UI is horrible. The X Com stuff is just as janky as every other game that's tried to do it outside of X Com. There's too much combat. There are too many "sit down" cutscenes and the execution of them is appalling. I've only played for a couple of hours but so far it's remarkably weak, it feels like it just entered early access.

• Options
    They definitely leaned too hard on the combat side. This type of game I'd be actually more interested in the micro management. As it is I don't really do anything once I take over a place bar setting up the right booze.

• Options
    I kind of figured out that it wasn't the management game that I wanted when the tutorial was "kill all of these people in a warehouse and then it's your warehouse".

• Options
    Ahh that’s a bummer. It seems like xcom and xcom 2 really spoiled me - as buggy as they can be their gameplay was super satisfying and interesting and I’ve bounced off most x-com type games

Seems like it is also a difficult game type to do well

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Ok maybe I’ll save my Nintendo bucks.

• Options
    I got bored and unlocked the developer options for cheats and fully upgraded a few rackets and nothing really changed. It's still just a map that you can't do anything in. The developers have mistaken scale for content with all those featureless, samey neighborhoods. It's sadly not what I expected and I think I'm already done with it.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I never played Omerta. Was that better?

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I guess the "sandboxey run a Mafia Empire" genre is just cursed. We've had like 6 with potential in the last 20 years, and it feels like none of them can even break into 70%+ review territory. Some daaaaaaaay.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I never played Omerta. Was that better?

I think so, yeah. On the management side, anyway. I always liked building up a well-oiled economic engine, and there's enough different kinds of buildings in Omerta that do different things to tweak the engine to your satisfaction.

The battle system I'd describe as basic but functional.

• Options
    I know I played like, a decent amount of Omerta but I can't remember anything about it.