As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Quit your [job] thread

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    What happened?

• AlanF5AlanF5 Registered User regular
    I was curious, but not enough to pause the video and go to full screen to actually read titles. I didn't see how the desk folded down to reveal a milkshake duck. Sorry, everyone.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    That's a neat bed!

Also, anyone who has Left Behind hardbacks to just strew around as props is a real creep. Like, every book in close focus in that video is from the Left Behind series, and that can't be an accident. Because the wretched state of our world means they're actually the kind of used book that's way out of your price range if you're just looking to buy prop books by the foot. We had to get them through ILL for a while because none of our vendors could get them at a reasonable price.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who immediately looks at the books.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Jedoc wrote: »
    That's a neat bed!

Also, anyone who has Left Behind hardbacks to just strew around as props is a real creep. Like, every book in close focus in that video is from the Left Behind series, and that can't be an accident. Because the wretched state of our world means they're actually the kind of used book that's way out of your price range if you're just looking to buy prop books by the foot. We had to get them through ILL for a while because none of our vendors could get them at a reasonable price.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who immediately looks at the books.

Hah, shit, I just went back and noticed that one of the other books is Virgin and Martyr by Andrew M. Greeley. Neat.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    my problem is they won't let me buy any of the things that would actually make my job easier under that allowance

why not? :(
    and, what? (I'm guessing better chair, etc)

cause "it poses a health hazard" and "is against california regulations" and "we can't inspect your property for OHS compliance" ablahblooblooblah

if I want to poison myself on company time then so be it!

You can't do that! Think of the liability suits!

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    What happened?
    • contractors have put a 'bounty' out until the end of the year toget as many customers as possible up on Fibre internet.
    • Company says "oohh free money!" and places 800+ orders to try and 'forced upgrade' customers in contractor's region onto fibre network.
    • BAU orders for this contractor are also still being placed.
    • Standard process for these orders is that if the contractor cannot reach the customer on their BAU, they flag the order back to us (the ISP) and then I try to reach customer.
    • Migration orders go out and, as per standard process, contractor is trying to contact customer and then flagging orders back to us.
    • As per my BAU, I then have to reach out to customers.
    • My workload has increased from maybe 15 orders a day to about 120, including non-migration orders.
    • I still have all my other tasks.
    • I get told, don't worry about other tasks, focus on these alerts on Tuesday after a sick day.
    • I spend my *entire week* trying to keep up with these alerts and stay within the expected SLAs and I'm doing ok-ish, but still lagging behind.
    • Team Meeting today I am told "oh, you don't need to do that standard process for the migrations. Just close those alerts and focus on the BAU orders".

So 4-5 days worth of actual work put in, still drowning in orders, having to rely on others to do my other tasks, skipping a break here and there, only to be told that I didnt *actually* have to do any of that, I could just ignore the work. It's fine.

Just ignore them.

Of course there's no easy way to determine which orders are BAU and which are Migration by a quick glance because that would make sense, so I still have to open Every. Single. Ticket to see if it's a ticket I can ignore. But at least I don't have to email every single one now.

Hey, did you know that if you just ignore the notifications, you don't have to do any work?

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Sounds like you're gonna need "oh just ignore that" in writing from your manager.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I have a nice comfy couch like three feet away from me but nope, spend most of my sitting time right here in my herman-miller. I can practically lay down in this thing.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    The biweekly zoom meetings at work were canceled a few weeks ago but the person who organizes them on zoom died. Now we get an automated meeting invite from a ghost every 2 weeks for meetings that don't happen.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    One of the odd arguments I heard about being an adult is are you a responsible if you have furniture not lawn chairs or sleep on the floor
    as this was a blanket argument about someone who lived off base as I felt it still was a well worded yet odd argument

I mean, I sleep on the floor on a Japanese futon, by choice.

Then again, I'm 75% of a functioning adult at best, so maybe not the example to use :razz:

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    No they slept on the floor and had lawn chairs
    As they were used as example of why living on base in the barracks is both good and bad

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    The biweekly zoom meetings at work were canceled a few weeks ago but the person who organizes them on zoom died. Now we get an automated meeting invite from a ghost every 2 weeks for meetings that don't happen.

fuck.
    that... is an awful and very 2020 thing.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

fuck.
    that... is an awful and very 2020 thing.

That sucks on so many levels. Can your email admins clear it out?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Finally home from work and had some time to unwind so I figured I would update. It went gloriously well. Everyone the owners spoke to reinforced that everything I said was right and their solution was not workable for even a week. The clinical director has decided we don't need a chat after all and everything is cool for now. I can't say for certain what happened in all of these calls, but apparently it is back to the drawing board. There have been reports of him sullenly saying maybe we have to go back to Zoom. Man, if only some amazingly brilliant therapist they have on staff had suggested that weeks ago before doing all these stupid half assed plans. Wouldn't that have been cool? Definitely want to give that person a huge bonus for seeing it as the best path forward.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

That happened to me when I tried to make a hotmail account for a fansite I was working on and thought I was being clever by making the date we started working on the website the date the account was "born" only for it to get locked pending adult approval.

I was like 16 at the time. Whooooooops.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular

Primo shitty cyberpunk dystopia stuff right here.

Sigh one of the vocal nurgle cult is back fresh from having the virus. Going on and on about the world bank dies every 50 years, other troll related topics and men's rights?

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Try not to engage with them and ignore them, @Brainleech

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    It is 7am and I have already seen too much bare ass in the workplace.

I try but he is ever so loud and in your face about it

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    It is 7am and I have already seen too much bare ass in the workplace.

no such thing

Disengage and ignore farther conversation, or tell them "that's bullshit" right to their face

Disengage and ignore farther conversation, or tell them "that's bullshit" right to their face

I do

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    canqg4jl303d.png

nice

nice

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular

My community/social manager is currently simultaneously howling with laughter and pouring one out for a fallen homie over this.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    So, do you all in here like jobs or what?

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    No.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yesterday morning and this morning we've had division-wide or company-wide all hands meetings, which like a responsible employee I've been joining from bed.

On the one hand it's nice to be able to attend these things horizontal and sans pants. OTOH it's a vaguely unpleasant way to wake up.

ChicoBlue wrote: »

you're fired

• FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

you're fired

I'm sorry. Fired was the wrong word. See, we're restructuring due to the ongoing financial strain of the global pandemic. Unfortunately, this means you're being laid off effective Dec. 24th as we cannot have your paltry pay reflected on 2021 budgets.

In brighter news, we recently awarded the CFO with a watch worth tens-of-thousands of dollars for their years of cooking the books service, and are looking forward to many more years of their illegal activity service with the company.

Huh...
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    FF wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »

you're fired

I'm sorry. Fired was the wrong word. See, we're restructuring due to the ongoing financial strain of the global pandemic. Unfortunately, this means you're being laid off effective Dec. 24th as we cannot have your paltry pay reflected on 2021 budgets.

In brighter news, we recently awarded the CFO with a watch worth tens-of-thousands of dollars for their years of cooking the books service, and are looking forward to many more years of their illegal activity service with the company.

Also we're going to fight you on unemployment.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Sometimes you look at a problem and think "I need to call the cops"

But you know the cops will gently and politely tell you to go fuck yourself when they get there

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Yesterday morning and this morning we've had division-wide or company-wide all hands meetings, which like a responsible employee I've been joining from bed.

On the one hand it's nice to be able to attend these things horizontal and sans pants. OTOH it's a vaguely unpleasant way to wake up.

They might be able to tell if you've muted yourself but they probably can't tell if your volume is merely set to 1%...

Sometimes you look at a problem and think "I need to call the cops"

But you know the cops will gently and politely tell you to go fuck yourself when they get there

They also might kill you, or someone else

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

The other week on Wait Wait one of that call in listeners was an engineer for NASA who basically specialized in the space toilets on the ISS.
    I bet she sometimes has shitty days.

steam_sig.png
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    My aunt helped design the space toilet system for women that replaced the previous 'pretty much catheterize yourself every time you go' one.

"My office never gets included on tours when bigwigs come in, because it looks like an explosion in a sex toy shop."

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    V1m wrote: »

They might be able to tell if you've muted yourself but they probably can't tell if your volume is merely set to 1%...

Fortunately these things involve hundreds or thousands of people so they're done as webinars. Pretty sure they can't even check you attended, but stuff mentioned there often gets brought up in team meetings later so I try to keep half an ear out in case anything important happens.

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Sometimes the ticket tells a story.

"Is there a way to remove the "reply all" option in the email and just have "reply" ?"

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
This discussion has been closed.