As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Elder Scrolls Online] It's the 2nd Era, so is this Oblivion 2, or Oblivion -1?

• Options
    mkissinmkissin Registered User regular
    Yeah, that was given away maybe 3 years ago for a similar event in Summerset, where everyone had to do a bunch of daily quests to fill a counter.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Owenashi wrote: »
    So I got the Greymoor expansion to pick up the free house-package and to my surprise, I somehow have another Notable home; the Grand Psjic Villa. Was this given away somewhere or something cause I'm pretty sure I'd remember picking that up.

It was free from an event, but I forget the details. It was like 2 years ago?

(edit, oops there was another page. Oh well.)

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    How is the new Necro class ?

I’ve not played in a while, but just reinstalled, and have enough crowns to unlock it.

My one complaint, well, two complaints, are that i get no permanent skeletal minion (need to resummon every 15 seconds), and that i can't sen and army of zombies to destroy my enemies.
    I've pretty much switched from sorcerer to warlock.
    Sorc is stronger i think, or easier, atleast it has better self heals, but necromancer is fun and that is what is most important, and it has decent self heals, good damage and some nice defense abilities.

Only real problem is that now i have to go play all the factions and dlc's, again, to get the skill points i need.
    If you don't mind that, or are ok with just getting skill points slowly through dlc's withough doing faction storylines, then i would recommend the class.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    I am kinda sorta getting to the end of my interest in terms of managing our two Guilds. I might stick around with Ash Housewares, but I'm really not interested in managing Pax Arcadia anymore.

So... who wants to take over?

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I am kinda sorta getting to the end of my interest in terms of managing our two Guilds. I might stick around with Ash Housewares, but I'm really not interested in managing Pax Arcadia anymore.

So... who wants to take over?

What's to manage? Is anyone doing anything with it? I mean, I log in every day (more or less) and can do whatever needs to be done with it, but as near as I can tell Pax Arcadia is kind of dead.

There's two other PA-related guilds I'm in... Ash Housewares and... I forgot the name of the other... but neither of them seem active either. Every once in a while I dump something in the bank for one or another guild, and look through what's in there, but nothing much seems to change.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Anyone playing this on Series X ?

If so, how is it ? Any improvements ?

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Anyone playing this on Series X ?

If so, how is it ? Any improvements ?

I am, but I just started last night and so I can't really comment on how it compares to other systems.

I actually only got it because a coworker convinced me to play with her, and it's on Gamepass so I figured it can't hurt. Turns out it's better than I expected! Less of an MMO than I thought it would be, which is great cuz I fuckin hate MMOs, but we'll see if it holds my attention like one or not. Playing with a friend will be fun for awhile at any rate. Going with a Dunmer sorcerer, straight up magicka dps and stuff since she's a dragon knight what hits monsters with a stick.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    If this game has a flaw, it is the pure amount of content.
    Well, that's not really a flaw, but how character progression is tied to the content, lot of skill points (whixh you can never have too many, or enough) are tied to exploring zones and doing main faction/dlc/expansion quests.
    Not a problem if you are doing your first character, because quite frankly all that content is great.
    But when doing alts, it can get old (the content is not always that great).

I'm currently on a break (still log in occasionally for crafting timers and stuff) because the repeating content can get old, and i want to do the main faction areas and the larger expansions before i start the newest zone.

Still, graphics are good, gameplay is great, and crafting is fun (purple gear is easy to get and more than enough for any normal dungeons or world bosses (when in teams atleast)).
    Solid recommendation from me for anyone who wants some fantasy rpg stuff with light mmo elements (though Craglorn sucks, all group content and no way to form groups easily unless you have friends who also play).

• Options
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    If this game has a flaw, it is the pure amount of content.
    Well, that's not really a flaw, but how character progression is tied to the content, lot of skill points (whixh you can never have too many, or enough) are tied to exploring zones and doing main faction/dlc/expansion quests.
    Not a problem if you are doing your first character, because quite frankly all that content is great.
    But when doing alts, it can get old (the content is not always that great).

I'm currently on a break (still log in occasionally for crafting timers and stuff) because the repeating content can get old, and i want to do the main faction areas and the larger expansions before i start the newest zone.

Still, graphics are good, gameplay is great, and crafting is fun (purple gear is easy to get and more than enough for any normal dungeons or world bosses (when in teams atleast)).
    Solid recommendation from me for anyone who wants some fantasy rpg stuff with light mmo elements (though Craglorn sucks, all group content and no way to form groups easily unless you have friends who also play).

They did add an option where you can unlock skyshards for alts if you've completed all of them on a character, but to me, skyshards are the least annoying skill point acquisition method. Well, non-Cyrodiil skyshards anyway. And if you have all the expansions and are subbed for the DLCs, it's actually A LOT of skill points.

What I've taken to doing is basically a) only coming back to farm skill points from quests if I literally cannot remember what a zone quest entails anymore and b) basically speedrunning *only* the quests that give skill points and ignoring everything else in a zone and c) also just basically skipping the dialogue. It's still... time consuming. I'm about halfway through the Aldmeri Dominion on that (and also working my way toward getting the Caldwell's Gold thing)

• Options
    Anybody having problems launching the game at all on PC?

I just decided to try to log in to do more of aforementioned Aldmeri Dominion questline, only to have the game crash between login and character select. Forums say that something went wonky with the last update, and that I should just sit tight till December 7?

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Teaser trailer for the next year of ESO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkWB-y7UcDw
    Looks like Eveli Sharp-Arrow is returning after her appearance in the Orsinium DLC.

Setting seems to be the Blackwoods region insoutheast Cyrodiil and neighboring Black Marsh. And the Deadlands in Oblivion.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I really need to get back into this, I think I have 2 expansions to playthrough.

I finished Morrowind, and was partway through Murkmire when I stopped.

I haven’t even started Summerset yet.

I love the idea of a companion, I could start safely doing those large, open dungeons !

• Options
    KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    I really need to get back into this, I think I have 2 expansions to playthrough.

I love the idea of a companion, I could start safely doing those large, open dungeons !

Companions?

steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Does anyone know how to negotiate the ESO launcher? I remember there was an alternate method of installing the game if the launcher didn't start up (which it doesn't). Maybe it was with an old install (which I no longer have).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ED! wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to negotiate the ESO launcher? I remember there was an alternate method of installing the game if the launcher didn't start up (which it doesn't). Maybe it was with an old install (which I no longer have).

Try using a VPN. There's apparently some bullshit where various ISP's get into tiffs with ZeniMax Media INC and blacklist them (which they're allowed to do thanks to the repeal of Net Neutrality :| ) and this causes the launcher to fail to fully launch. It's stupid.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular

Try using a VPN. There's apparently some bullshit where various ISP's get into tiffs with ZeniMax Media INC and blacklist them (which they're allowed to do thanks to the repeal of Net Neutrality :| ) and this causes the launcher to fail to fully launch. It's stupid.

That didn't work but it is infuriating that that needs to be done for others.

I resorted to just digging in the Install_ESO and pulling out the actually launcher folder. Sheesh.

. . .that said, I keep going back to this game but getting overwhelmed - any good returning player guides on what to focus on?

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Kendrik wrote: »

Companions?

It's a new system coming with Blackwood.

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/updates/chapter/blackwood
    FIND NEW ALLIES
    Never adventure alone again. Choose a Companion to fight alongside you, keep you company, and tell new stories as you grow your friendships with all-new and unique characters ready to aid you in your quests.

• Options
    Arteen wrote: »

Companions?

It's a new system coming with Blackwood.

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/updates/chapter/blackwood
    FIND NEW ALLIES
    Never adventure alone again. Choose a Companion to fight alongside you, keep you company, and tell new stories as you grow your friendships with all-new and unique characters ready to aid you in your quests.

It's effectively like the Hero system of Guild Wars 1, proving, once again, that somehow ESO became the actual successor to GW1, and not GW2 (which actually makes sense because ZOS has better managers and more money and so they can actually implement the lessons learned by GW1 instead of floundering with no leadership like ArenaNet >>; )

• Options
    KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular

That didn't work but it is infuriating that that needs to be done for others.

I resorted to just digging in the Install_ESO and pulling out the actually launcher folder. Sheesh.

. . .that said, I keep going back to this game but getting overwhelmed - any good returning player guides on what to focus on?

I like the guides by Lucky Ghost (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyeXkOdGbwveA-EtwQLeTYA and https://eso.justlootit.com) but there are probably others out there. What I've found personally is the following:

1) Pick a zone and stick to the main story quest in that zone. It's WAY too easy to get distracted by all the side quests and there is so much content that you don't need to do them. You can always come back later.
    2) Run the daily dungeon. Hit 'P' and queue for the dungeon finder at least once a day. Great XP and you can find fun gear, too.
    3) If you're not subbed, don't bother trying to do crafting. You simply have too many materials to gather and you'll fill up your bank and inventory super fast if you don't have access to the crafting materials storage.
    4) Don't bother trying to chase specific gear until after you hit Champion 160. Use what you find from quests and dungeon runs.
    5) Build guides are nice, but are generally made for "endgame" characters. Use them as examples, but don't worry about not being good enough if you don't have the skills / gear they recommend.
    6) Join a guild. You can be in up to 5 different guilds so find a guild that sounds like it's up your alley and join it. It makes it easy to find folks who are doing stuff that you can tag along with. Since pretty much everything except Veteran trials (Raids) scales you don't have to worry about not being able to join in.

I've found all this helps keep from getting "decison locked" when confronted with all the stuff to do. This game seems to reward playing it at your pace rather than rushing to 50/160.

steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    3) If you're not subbed, don't bother trying to do crafting. You simply have too many materials to gather and you'll fill up your bank and inventory super fast if you don't have access to the crafting materials storage.

Caveat: if you're in Ash Housewares (the PA guild on PC NA I founded), that is *specifically* meant to be a communal pool of crafting materials. It does take more steps, and it's a *communal* guild pool, but it is literally there as a resource for non-subbed people to use crafting mats. The main rule is don't put anything in there you don't want other players to use. But it does make crafting feasible for a non-sub.

*edit* and if you want/need in on the guild please say so, I don't log on often these days and I'm VERY forgetful but I'll try to put you in.

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    if you guys want a new bro and/or a new guildmate hit me up, I'm @Dwyguy

• Options
    Well, started playing the game again.
    Now doing the Dominion faction story before i do the actual main questline to open up the final vanilla zone, and then start doing dlc's and expansions, not sure in which order.

And what is striking me, is how almost every problem i face in the first 3 zones, is because Aldmer.
    Like, every other faction has issues, but they also manage to give atleast semi sympathetic portrayal of the races, even Dunmer come of as not complete shit.
    Not so Aldmer, nothing about the story makes me feel like there is anything sympathetic to the Aldmer as a culture, almost every problem in the first 3 zones is about Aldmer fucking things up, and not even just few specific idiots fucking things up, but seemingly a fairly large, and not at all out of the mainstream, group of Aldmer.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    After doing all of the factions quest lines I have concluded:

The Daggerfall Covenants problems are always caused by dremora.
    The Ebonheart Pacts problems are always caused by the Daggerfall Covenant
    The Aldmeri Dominions problems are always caused by the Aldmeri Dominion.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    That's a bit unfair i think.
    Some of Ebonheart Pacts problems are caused by Aldmeri Dominion.
    Like, the major issue in one of the zones is Aldmeri Dominion wanting to
    A. Genocide the Argonians and
    B. Literally eat their babies.

There are plenty of decent individual Aldmer, like Ayren, and quite possibly my favorite is in the summerset expansion involving aldmeri siblings
    the one where you go looking for someones brother among a theater group, only to find their sister instead.
    There is zero drama about their transgender nature, only source of conflict, quickly resolved, is how they dropped from academia to join the theater.
    But the way even their faction, and expansion, stories make them come of as terrible, i have to wonder if the writers don't actively hate them.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited March 2021

There are plenty of decent individual Aldmer, like Ayren, and quite possibly my favorite is in the summerset expansion involving aldmeri siblings
    the one where you go looking for someones brother among a theater group, only to find their sister instead.
    There is zero drama about their transgender nature, only source of conflict, quickly resolved, is how they dropped from academia to join the theater.
    But the way even their faction, and expansion, stories make them come of as terrible, i have to wonder if the writers don't actively hate them.

Eh, IIRC
    Molag Bal's crew are pulling the strings for a large chunk of the cartoonishly evil crap each faction pulls in other factions, to make sure everyone stays busy with the war.

If you just mean the general racism, every faction's loaded to the brim with racists. Daggerfall Covenant actually weirded me out more, because at least AD quests show the racism stuff as bad stuff villains do, while DC has entire quest chains dedicated to how rad colonists committing genocide (multiple times) was.

Kamar on
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Kamar wrote: »

Eh, IIRC
    Molag Bal's crew are pulling the strings for a large chunk of the cartoonishly evil crap each faction pulls in other factions, to make sure everyone stays busy with the war.

If you just mean the general racism, every faction's loaded to the brim with racists. Daggerfall Covenant actually weirded me out more, because at least AD quests show the racism stuff as bad stuff villains do, while DC has entire quest chains dedicated to how rad colonists committing genocide (multiple times) was.
    The Redguard zone? Yeah, that was messed up.
    But atleast that's glorified past (which is disgusting on its own right), instead of present day. I saw lot of parallels with that, the Nords and their treatment of Ysgrammor, and how real world nations (see: US & Founding Fathers) glorify their origin.

Can't say i remember the spoilered bit, it might be going on at some level, can't say i have really noticed in my current faction playthrough.
    Though all daedric princess are pissing in the pot at some level
    But even if true,
    literally eating babies
    is a bit much.

edit-
    Well, my Necromancer has finally finished the last faction questline in Reaper's March, and damn it hit me in the feels more than i thought it would.
    Next up i guess i should do the main quest, and Coldharbour.
    Then either Morrowing or Summerset, probably Summerset, i want the Psijic skill line, after those, Clockwork city.
    And with that i will have done all the important to the character quest areas and can go do whatever in whichever order i want, probably Skyrim, there's the vampire questline thing there i think.

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Ugh, I gotta grind CP back to get the basic functionality I had on my dang crafting toon (who is, oddly enough, also my main) blarrrg. Is there anything that's both good XP -and- fun? Note: I don't find tanking dungeons "fun," but I also hate waiting in queue for dungeons.

I could go back and finish A L L the damn sidequests I haven't done. I'm currently trying to get through Cadwell's Gold on my main, which currently sucks because it's The Aldmeri Dominion, AGAIN.

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    My friend bought me the game on Steam. I hadn't played on PC since launch, and quit after like two months.
    In the meantime, I had been playing on the Xbox when they offered free gold some time ago.
    The experience is so much better on PC, but everything I have is on the Xbox, and I don't want to restart all over from scratch. I never had a character make it to max level, let alone get any Champion Points. I had crafting maxxed out, and was working on getting all the Nirnhoned stuff as I came across it.

My main is in one of the PA guilds, but there was no one on. I saw lots of names I recognized, but I don't imagine anyone had played in years.

• Options
    Doing summerset over the past couple days.
    Second to last quest going now.
    The story is as good as i remember it, and the sinkholes are as annoying as i remember them.

Leythen is an interesting character.
    It is clear that we are meant to see him as sympathetic figure, writers are really going for tortured soul driven to extremism here.
    And to a degree it works.

Except...
    At one point he declares that he would not be party to deaths of innocents.
    Yet one of the earliest things you learn during the storyline is that he has been rounding up recent arrivals to the island, putting them in cages, and then sacrificing them to daedra.
    And you get no change to call him out on it.
    I honestly think the writers may have completely forgotten about it (or these parts were written by different person and who ever was in charge of overall story never caught it).

Because he does not really read as hypocritical, or more racially supremacist than average altmer (which is still a lot).
    My overal impression on him after he gets captured is someone who sincerely believes what he is saying, and is just incredibly stupid to believe Mephala to be benevolent.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Is there an active guild on the XBox side of the game?

• Options
    Finished Southern Elsweyr with my necromancer, now just Orsinion, Murkmire, Craglorn and Imperial city left.

Not sure what to think of Southern Elsweyr, as DLC, the main story is not the greatest, nor the map most impressive, but i did enjoy it and i did enjoy the npc interactions.
    Also it had a nice comment on the nature of the game at the end you could respond to
    It's all cyclical, disaster, hero, resolution, only to be followed by a disaster, a hero, and a resolution.
    And that's fine, got to keep going on anyway. Was my response.
    I do like it when games go slightly meta while still staying in character.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I bought and installed this last week and am really enjoying it. I was not expecting it to be so similar to regular elder scrolls. Is there anyway I can get into the PA guild? I also have a buddy who wants in. Account name is Furlion386 on ps4/NA.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    furlion wrote: »
    I bought and installed this last week and am really enjoying it. I was not expecting it to be so similar to regular elder scrolls.

It wasn't at first. The devs ended up having to bring piece by piece more ES stuff in as time went on.

• Options
    furlion wrote: »
    I bought and installed this last week and am really enjoying it. I was not expecting it to be so similar to regular elder scrolls.

It wasn't at first. The devs ended up having to bring piece by piece more ES stuff in as time went on.

Well they succeeded. Although I have to say the fact that creating is such a massive inventory hog to try and push you towards getting plus is kind of an asshole move. Other than juggling my inventory I am enjoying the game a lot. Mostly been doing random dungeons using the dungeon finder and I went from 10 to 23 in two days. Seems like an easy way to get the most money and creating materials. I am usually a bit of a trophy hound but probably not going to go after the platinum here since it is supposed to take well over 1k hours. I might pay for plus just so I can pick up all the spare trophies from the various dlcs though.

• Options
    I'd love to do ESO's dungeons but the problem is that I have no one to play with so I'd have to use the game's LFG and those tend to be populated by people that'd rather blow through the dungeon then give you a chance to see the story put into it. Yeah, I'm that kinda nerd.

• Options
    I'd love to do ESO's dungeons but the problem is that I have no one to play with so I'd have to use the game's LFG and those tend to be populated by people that'd rather blow through the dungeon then give you a chance to see the story put into it. Yeah, I'm that kinda nerd.

Oh yeah I have yet to have a single group without some 500CP or higher monster just steam roll everything. I queue as a healer because I hate queue times but I have yet to have a dungeon where I actually need to heal. Either the dps is so nuts they drop everything too quickly or the tank is a juggernaut. Do people not use the dungeon finder for hard mode? My only comparison is heroics in World of Warcraft and you could definitely pug those. Are they just that much harder here or are people just in a rush to get that once a day bonus?

• Options
    EmpiricalEmpirical USARegistered User regular
    Any time I've done a LFG/random daily and ended up in a dungeon I've not done, I've never had an issue when I've told I've never done said dungeon and would like the chance to read things. People have always been rather understanding when I've asked.

Poop nuggets.
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Is there an active guild on the XBox side of the game?

Sadly doubt it. I don't even think there is an active guild PC side. PA isn't known for sticking around with their MMOs. I've always basically treated this game as a SP experience, but if you're looking for a guild your best bet is probably looking elsweyr. (see what I did there?)

Steam: offday
  • Options
    I finally cleared my first DLC trial on veteran difficulty! It was Maw of Lorkaj, and my progression group has been at it for a while. I only started running trials, at all, late last year.

Now I get to wear the cool dro-m'Athra skin.
    PwwCgZyh.png

• Options
    I hit 30 on my khajit nightblade. My friend who I bought the game for has not played any but I know going into that he would bail. He has video game add. Playing it like a largely single player experience would work much better if the game inventory size was less restrictive. I get that I don't have to do crafting but the daily writs are such excellent money makers it real feels punishing to skip them. I finished up the main quest line in Vivec but according to the trophy list there must be another one. I am thinking I will toss this on my list of games to play in between other games since it's not like it's going anywhere and it is actually pretty fun as a single player experience.