As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Assassin's Creed]: Mirage almost out! 10/5/23 via Ubisoft Connect, EGS (PC), and consoles

• MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    What is up with enemies respawning so fast in the seer quest worlds? I clear out a small camp then take a look around with my raven and when I zoom back in the same avatar jerks are back. Is this intentional?

I came in here to hear if I can skip these missions completely. They are incredibly boring.

Movitz on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Movitz wrote: »
    What is up with enemies respawning so fast in the seer quest worlds? I clear out a small camp then take a look around with my raven and when I zoom back in the same avatar jerks are back. Is this intentional?

I came in here to hear if I can skip these missions completely. They are incredibly boring.

I want to say yes? I don't think they impacted the actual story, they really felt like DLC to the extent I actually thought they were.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah it seems to be completely unnecessary.

I mean I'll spoil this if you really want to know any impact from the seer visions in the main story.

Zero, Eivor doesn't even mention it to anyone beyond the seer quest. Hell I don't think its even brought up in the modern timeline.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »
    I mean I'll spoil this if you really want to know any impact from the seer visions in the main story.

Zero, Eivor doesn't even mention it to anyone beyond the seer quest. Hell I don't think its even brought up in the modern timeline.

Ugh this is bad even for Ubisoft.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    urahonky wrote: »

Only if you think narrative content is not a reason in itself to play. Because you can cut your play time in this game by about 80% if you want to skip all the "unnecessary" narrative content.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.

Only if you think narrative content is not a reason in itself to play. Because you can cut your play time in this game by about 80% if you want to skip all the "unnecessary" narrative content.

They could also have an effect on the story or on how Eivor interacts with people.

edited December 2020

The problem with this specific content is and I'll spoil this for people who haven't played the seer quests.

Aside from experience in the zones, you get nothing from it. So the reward is purely a narrative that takes you away from in my opinion the more interesting experience of plundering england to tell you a modified ragnarok story that overstays its welcome when you're climbing up another fucking "ok how do I get up this way." path.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

They could also have an effect on the story or on how Eivor interacts with people.

Like how the 230 narrative Mystery missions they have in the game have an "effect on the story"?

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

Like how the 230 narrative Mystery missions they have in the game have an "effect on the story"?

Given the enormity of what the seer visions should mean for Eivor from a faith perspective, and specifically what they mean in context of the ending, it is incredibly weird that they are never mentioned by her except to the seer during that quest.

And I know why, it's because they are optional and the player and therefore Eivor may not have seen them when the ending happens.

But this makes it bad writing and a waste of potential.

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular

I'm saving it for when I really want a guaranteed +5.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo

They have an effect on the narrative being told in a given area, they fill in a bit of wackiness for England. The seer quests literally pluck you from that environment.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    The first Seer section was boring a.f. Wasn't helped by the fact they were covering a tale I already knew pretty well.

The second section got a bit interesting when..
    ...it appeared that the Jotun were Eivor's version of the Isu and what they're talking about corresponds with a lot of the sci-fi stuff in other AC games. Though I am still firmly in the camp that thinks AC would be better without all the Animus bull.

Haven't played the third part yet but as with Origins and Oddysey this game is just too big and I'm getting bored with it.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    The third part is just one short thing and then that's it for the hut fwiw.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Damn i hate how games with "choices" built in don't let you kill anyone you want. I get that the story scripting would have to be massive, but it still irks me.

RDR2, Micah wouldn't have gotten out of jail, or I'd have put 6 in the back of his head once he went bonkers on the town. ACV Ivarr would have been a one mission character. This sick fuck is clearly a bad person who is going to continue to make bad fucking choices. If the game allowed it his head would already be resting in a fireplace in my long house.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Eivor sure does like to watch random people get murdered in cutscenes when she could run in and save them.

TECHNICALLY the Vikings were pretty big assholes.

• MovitzMovitz Registered User regular

Yeah. I was actually a bit uncomfortable with the whole raiding mechanic in the beginning. And still am when I think about it.

Yeah. I was actually a bit uncomfortable with the whole raiding mechanic in the beginning. And still am when I think about it.

Never mind the whole slavery thing, which Ubisoft have done their best to ignore.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    So when is Far Cry 6 out? It's already been 16 hours since Ubisoft's last huge open world came out, so I assume Far Cry 6 comes out this coming Tuesday?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar

Yeah I'm thankful they don't want you to kill civilians still.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

the only case where Miasma and Battlefield Cremation can come back to bite you

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO

the only case where Miasma and Battlefield Cremation can come back to bite you

Yeah I did desync a few times with Miasma without thinking about it.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    So when is Far Cry 6 out? It's already been 16 hours since Ubisoft's last huge open world came out, so I assume Far Cry 6 comes out this coming Tuesday?

Sadly, we have to wait till May to help Gus from Los Pollos Hermanos become the next Castro.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Ok I've played a few hours of Immortals and I can say that so far I am enjoying that way more than Valhalla.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Ok I've played a few hours of Immortals and I can say that so far I am enjoying that way more than Valhalla.

I'll probably pick it up after Cyberpunk. By then it'll be like 30% off as well I bet.

Drez wrote: »

Sadly, we have to wait till May to help Gus from Los Pollos Hermanos become the next Castro.

That's OK. I'll badly need a break after all these games anyway.

I'm still not sure I like the tone of the game. The humor falls a little flat for me. But I like the puzzles and the graphics and the combat and the story minus the groanworthy humor, at least so far.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited December 2020

Yeah I fell in love with it. It's pretty fantastic. And it weighs in at a lot less hours than the usual ubibloat game. Around 25-30 hours from what I've read, which is pretty much the perfect length in my book.

The protag (Fenyx) is great, the puzzles and combat are a lot of fun, and it's funny as hell.

If you want a break from serious Viking-ness, it's worth a look. It's on Ubisoft Connect, so $15 gets you access for a month, which could be enough time to beat it and be done with it.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    My main problem from the demo was that Zeus both isn't funny and never shuts up. It's like they brought the Borderlands writers on board.

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    The whole seer vision Asgard questline has turned me off the game for a bit. The areas are interesting to look at visually but the quests are a slog to go through. The boss battles are all kind of janky but the final Fenrir boss is straight up frustrating to me. Hitting the weakpoints are obnoxious, and when you get its health low enough I realize I cannot just brute force it with melee, you got to do the weakpoints and the game just isn't recognizing my arrow hits.

All the wealth collectibles are the same so it gets boring, and turning them all in to the alter doesn't give you anything unique so it felt like a waste of time. Then they put in a power level 400 legendary beast in there for no reason, I don't think I even want to go back to the area later.

Like others said I recommend just ignoring the Seer altogether until post game, it really soured me putting so much time into a questline that feels so out of the way.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    The whole seer vision Asgard questline has turned me off the game for a bit. The areas are interesting to look at visually but the quests are a slog to go through. The boss battles are all kind of janky but the final Fenrir boss is straight up frustrating to me. Hitting the weakpoints are obnoxious, and when you get its health low enough I realize I cannot just brute force it with melee, you got to do the weakpoints and the game just isn't recognizing my arrow hits.

All the wealth collectibles are the same so it gets boring, and turning them all in to the alter doesn't give you anything unique so it felt like a waste of time. Then they put in a power level 400 legendary beast in there for no reason, I don't think I even want to go back to the area later.

Like others said I recommend just ignoring the Seer altogether until post game, it really soured me putting so much time into a questline that feels so out of the way.

On that beast:
    It's actually pretty doeable at much lower power levels since it is slow and has a small number of predictable moves. I was like 140 when I killed it.

But... Odin says something like "This might be useful later" after killing it, and then I never got quests, trophies, or other recognition that I'd done it.

Phillishere on
    edited December 2020
    Using the ability to put fire on your weapon helps a lot for those fights. Even so they are the worst in the game.

Aistan on
    The Nudity toggle in the options set up some false expectations. I expected there to be boobs everywhere and dongs-a-floppin' but any time Eivor makes it to the Bone Zone there's just a chaste fade-to-black - not even a bare arse! Even the one scene in a brothel, which admittedly had a pair of exposed breasts, had all the men running around in their weird, probably anachronistic, Dark Age Diapers.

dont-give-me-hope-meme-3-768x409.jpg

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    There's a nudity toggle? There's nudity?

I was gonna find a gif of some kid making two dolls make out by smashing them together, but the first page of search results were a lot creepier than expected, so just picture it and that's every love scene in a video game.

Except for Witcher 3, which works in a unicorn.

There's the brothel scene, about 30 seconds. There's two of the witch sisters, however long it takes to fight them.

That's literally all.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    America: Terrified of the boobs.

This is entirely speculation but i'm convinced that initially someone there wanted the nudity toggle to apply to Eivor. One of the primary collectables is the tattoos, of which for the front and back ones they are significantly covered by that ugly underwear top she has on.

It was probably designed she could go bare-chested berserker if the player wanted, then someone up top freaked out about a partially nude protagonist and forced them to change it.

I can't think of any other reason there'd be a menu option for it otherwise, given the dearth of nakedness. Even the nudists aren't naked.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    This is entirely speculation but i'm convinced that initially someone there wanted the nudity toggle to apply to Eivor. One of the primary collectables is the tattoos, of which for the front and back ones they are significantly covered by that ugly underwear top she has on.

It was probably designed she could go bare-chested berserker if the player wanted, then someone up top freaked out about a partially nude protagonist and forced them to change it.

I can't think of any other reason there'd be a menu option for it otherwise, given the dearth of nakedness. Even the nudists aren't naked.

Well, there's a mod for that now... :wink:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    Just don't read the comments on the mod page.