As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Baffled King

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited December 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Baffled King

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    MadSaveryMadSavery Registered User new member
    Just wanted to say, the version of Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley is the single greatest version of that song ever. If you've never heard it, you're truly missing out! Anyway, love what you guys do! keep it up!

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Utter gold. The final line slayed me.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I used to say that Zack Snyder only has one move as a director. He's got the slow motion punch (or kick in some cases). But now he's got 2 moves. He puts Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah in everything.

But for real though. 300 was a fun movie to watch in the theater. And every movie he has made since then basically has exactly the same action shots. He's kind of a one-trick pony and I'm over it. Also his story telling capability sucks. Batman vs Superman sucked. And I don't think a "Snyder Cut" of Justice League can fix that movie. It was just poorly conceived and written from the start.

Maybe Joss Whedon's 11th hour fixes weren't great. But he wasn't given much to work with. I'm sure the changes he made were something he thought were necessary to fix what was almost certainly a horrible movie. Because Zack Snyder makes bad movies.

• Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    I unexpectedly laughed out loud.

• Options
    GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    Snyder sacrifices character to get cool shots. I.E. Superman standing in flames looking sad, instead of helping people.

• Options
    BropocalypseBropocalypse Registered User regular
    Snyder might be good when directing a dumb blunt action movie, like the kind that were all over the place in the 80s, but he shouldn't try to do anything that involves drama or psychology. It just comes off as "highschool" when he does.

• Options
    KagatoACKagatoAC Registered User regular
    But Super is really fast, maybe he already helped the people and is now standing there for dramatic effect :)

• Options
    LieutenantDanLieutenantDan Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    No, what's INCREDIBLE is how damn hard that car explodes at 0:53

https://youtu.be/ZE4OV5NSVWc?t=53

LieutenantDan on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I used to say that Zack Snyder only has one move as a director. He's got the slow motion punch (or kick in some cases). But now he's got 2 moves. He puts Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah in everything.

But for real though. 300 was a fun movie to watch in the theater. And every movie he has made since then basically has exactly the same action shots. He's kind of a one-trick pony and I'm over it. Also his story telling capability sucks. Batman vs Superman sucked. And I don't think a "Snyder Cut" of Justice League can fix that movie. It was just poorly conceived and written from the start.

Maybe Joss Whedon's 11th hour fixes weren't great. But he wasn't given much to work with. I'm sure the changes he made were something he thought were necessary to fix what was almost certainly a horrible movie. Because Zack Snyder makes bad movies.

The one hope worth having for the Snyder cut is that it will feel like one bad movie. The Justice League we got originally felt like two bad movies stitched together with donor material from four different good movies we didn't get to see, and I've been trying to decide ever since if that's better or worse than just a bad movie.

• Options
    Radiated RoninRadiated Ronin Registered User regular
    I just watched Leonard Cohen sing "Hallelujah" over a video of Leonard Cohen singing "Hallelujah". Manly tears, y'all, manly tears!

:)

• Options
    BropocalypseBropocalypse Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    The one hope worth having for the Snyder cut is that it will feel like one bad movie. The Justice League we got originally felt like two bad movies stitched together with donor material from four different good movies we didn't get to see, and I've been trying to decide ever since if that's better or worse than just a bad movie.

My instincts tell me that a bad movie is still bad even if it's more consistent. At least inconsistency can be interesting in a "flashing lights" sorta way.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    David: Hey Lord, check this out. *strum*
    Lord: mmmffph
    David: ...you okay dude?
    Lord: ...I have to leave

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I feel the people who think the Snyder Cut is somehow going to completely redeem "Justice League" are similar to the people who want George Lucas to come back to Star Wars. "Oh, did you forget how much you hated Ewoks? Or the Prequel Trilogy?" :)

As for the Hallelujah song, all it does now is make me think of "Shrek." lol

MarcinMN on
    "It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I think Snyder's Watchmen adaptation was as good as anyone could reasonably expect a single-film adaptation of Watchmen to be.

I can't say that I've had any interest in any of his subsequent work with DC properties, though.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    The best use of Hallelujah is in John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme when the titular character is employed by Charles Babbage to find the secret chord so that Babbage can use it as startup music for his difference engine

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    >Tells us the chord is secret
    >Next line begins "it goes like this"

• Options
    GargathorGargathor Registered User new member
    MadSavery wrote: »
    Just wanted to say, the version of Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley is the single greatest version of that song ever. If you've never heard it, you're truly missing out! Anyway, love what you guys do! keep it up!

A thousand times, yes. The Cohen lyrics coupled with Buckley's delivery are utterly wrenching.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    David: Hey Lord, check this out. *strum*
    Lord: mmmffph
    David: ...you okay dude?
    Lord: ...I have to leave

"I'm gonna go call my mom!"

H9f4bVe.png