As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Quit your [job] thread

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    My aunt helped design the space toilet system for women that replaced the previous 'pretty much catheterize yourself every time you go' one.

"My office never gets included on tours when bigwigs come in, because it looks like an explosion in a sex toy shop."

That seems like exactly the office you should bring people to.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    My aunt helped design the space toilet system for women that replaced the previous 'pretty much catheterize yourself every time you go' one.

"My office never gets included on tours when bigwigs come in, because it looks like an explosion in a sex toy shop."

fuck i'm going there right now

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular

When I worked at space camp "How to bathroom in space" was always the most fun briefing to give.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    We've had a guy out on my crew since late October with covid/other serious health issues and we just got informed he won't be back until at least January.

So far we've had one person acting as the coverage operator for the entire shop, but now a bunch of people in the other department are taking vacation and she has to go over there, meaning we're running as a two man crew unless somebody decides to be generous and work OT with us.

Well, our boss told her to put up a volunteer list and if no one volunteers then use the call in list. So that basically means we're all about to get hit with OT. Because our shop is fucked six ways to Sunday nobody has wanted to use the call in list, preferring to suffer a two man shift if need be, because as soon as somebody sets that precedent ain't nobody getting a day off. Its not fair for one crew to call somebody in and then not have anybody come in for them.

I'm gonna need to move out of this department as soon as I can. I'm at my limit. I keep getting stuck with the absolute shit work and I'm exhausted and furious every day. Like, I could move back up to my old job if a spot opens up and make the same money I make now without grinding myself into the dirt and getting nowhere.

Huff puff grumble complain

Juggernut on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    We've had a guy out on my crew since late October with covid/other serious health issues and we just got informed he won't be back until at least January.

So far we've had one person acting as the coverage operator for the entire shop, but now a bunch of people in the other department are taking vacation and she has to go over there, meaning we're running as a two man crew unless somebody decides to be generous and work OT with us.

Well, our boss told her to put up a volunteer list and if no one volunteers then use the call in list. So that basically means we're all about to get hit with OT. Because our shop is fucked six ways to Sunday nobody has wanted to use the call in list, preferring to suffer a two man shift if need be, because as soon as somebody sets that precedent ain't nobody getting a day off. Its not fair for one crew to call somebody in and then not have anybody come in for them.

I'm gonna need to move out of this department as soon as I can. I'm at my limit. I keep getting stuck with the absolute shit work and I'm exhausted and furious every day. Like, I could move back up to my old job if a spot opens up and make the same money I make now grinding myself into the dirt and getting nowhere.

:bro:

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

I'm gonna need to move out of this department as soon as I can. I'm at my limit. I keep getting stuck with the absolute shit work and I'm exhausted and furious every day. Like, I could move back up to my old job if a spot opens up and make the same money I make now grinding myself into the dirt and getting nowhere.

Why don't they just hire more people?

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    expendable wrote: »

When I worked at space camp "How to bathroom in space" was always the most fun briefing to give.

It's kind of impossible NOT to take gravity for granted when it comes to so many bio processes, especially the elimination ones. And a disposal system that keeps things 99% contained isn't good enough, because that 1% isn't going to drip to the floor or otherwise end up out of the way, it's going to be floating around and going places. Kind of the same way how crumb-generating food is a big issue.

Ain't pushing the boundaries of our existence space grand~? :biggrin:
    Magic Pink wrote: »

fuck i'm going there right now
    Well, my aunt's retirement is about to get interesting. I'm -pretty -sure she didn't take of that stuff home as souveniers.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Oh, that's a good one, Pin. :D

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    FF wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    So, do you all in here like jobs or what?

you're fired

I'm sorry. Fired was the wrong word. See, we're restructuring due to the ongoing financial strain of the global pandemic. Unfortunately, this means you're being laid off effective Dec. 24th as we cannot have your paltry pay reflected on 2021 budgets.

In brighter news, we recently awarded the CFO with a watch worth tens-of-thousands of dollars for their years of cooking the books service, and are looking forward to many more years of their illegal activity service with the company.

"You have been promoted to customer"

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    It seems like it would solve a lot of problems!

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    First paycheck at new job :D

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Why don't they just hire more people?

https://youtu.be/QT13kk8HDDo

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

My favourite instance of this is when ICE locked itself out of its account by trying to change its founding to during the Trump presidency.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ok a) that's hilarious and b) what the SHIT

Real answer: its complicated and its been something of an issue down in this particular department for, man at least the last 10 years, since they reopened.

The way our shop is set up you can have 3 people per crew and, as long as everything is going well, run like gravy and fuck off for most of the day. So bringing in a fourth person isn't really justifiable because they may not end up having anything to do. So you'd be paying (total, with benefits and everything they factor in not actual take home pay) like close to $100,000 a year to have someone on the team who might only actually be helpful 20 to 30% of the time.

Now, as soon as you lose a crewman the job suddenly goes up to like, 80 or 90% occupied, meaning your busting ass, running like a chicken with your head cut off for pretty much the whole 12 hours. And still, thats not factoring in the myriad ways these piece of shit machines can and will break. So there's no real in between.

Some project decisions made shortly before I got here and enacted shortly after have only further fucked us up.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    CEO changed my job again, to remove me from the operations side again after adding me to it like two weeks ago. He was very open about it being him trying to put out a fire by throwing anything he could at it, but in the end it would just be a waste of my time. So that's the third job description in less than six months, let's see how long this one lasts.

He also said he didn't want to put in a position to talk to customers, in part because "you're too nice and then you tell them more than you should". Just before leaving I did a card trick, an Any Card at Any Number with a method I made up myself (at least, I haven't seen or heard of anyone else using it, undoubtedly because no one thought the method would actually work) and when I fooled him he went "OK, how did you do that?". Oh no, I learned that lesson.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I tasked our asset protection rep to submit a work order for malfunctioning security equipment middle of last month, because they're supposed to be responsible for maintaining that equipment, so I was already doing them a favor by saying, hey, your shit's broke. It's all still broke, so I dive into the facility engineering ticketing system and see that our in-house people came out, went "Yup, equipment isn't getting power, but we can't be assed to trace the problem since it's somewhere in the drop ceiling. Get an electrician."

Very slightly paraphrasing that last bit. So me, somebody who by my position shouldn't be involved in this at all, had to reach out above and to the side of people's heads to find out if, ok did you actually hire an electrician because that's not in your own work order notes, or were you just waiting for the ticket to time out, or do we have to create a new work order for an outside contractor?

Real answer: its complicated and its been something of an issue down in this particular department for, man at least the last 10 years, since they reopened.

The way our shop is set up you can have 3 people per crew and, as long as everything is going well, run like gravy and fuck off for most of the day. So bringing in a fourth person isn't really justifiable because they may not end up having anything to do. So you'd be paying (total, with benefits and everything they factor in not actual take home pay) like close to $100,000 a year to have someone on the team who might only actually be helpful 20 to 30% of the time.

Now, as soon as you lose a crewman the job suddenly goes up to like, 80 or 90% occupied, meaning your busting ass, running like a chicken with your head cut off for pretty much the whole 12 hours. And still, thats not factoring in the myriad ways these piece of shit machines can and will break. So there's no real in between.

Some project decisions made shortly before I got here and enacted shortly after have only further fucked us up.

So sounds like what you actually need is a fourth person you don't have to pay benefits to employ, or even a wage, who can sit in a corner and do nothing 90% of the time but spring into action in an emergency

dwyidadfhvr8.jpg

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Swear if/when I ever leave this shop everything is gonna collapse.

edited December 2020

So sounds like what you actually need is a fourth person you don't have to pay benefits to employ, or even a wage, who can sit in a corner and do nothing 90% of the time but spring into action in an emergency

dwyidadfhvr8.jpg

Don't even think about it, Robot Lady

Juggernut on
    Unless it is that specific robot because its adorable then ok, maybe think about it a little I could use a buddy

my post also works better if you pretend the forum css isn't buggy and he's popping in hopefully from the left hand corner

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Every part of that robot has been specifically designed and optimized for peak human enslaving performance.

Do not trust it.

edited December 2020
    Someone on this call said they moved out of California a few months ago because they "couldn't hack the restrictions" and I'm like WHAT RESTRICTIONS

edit: like I know we're restricted compared to a lot of the rest of the country but jeepers look at Australia/NZ/SE Asia if you want to see what actual restrictions look like, even the bay area is basically at "oh dear we can't go inside bars."

tynic on
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular

You can be lean and mean but don't think it's your job to protect them from the consequences of that. If you get something else, take it, your co workers should and probably would do the same.

Oh trust me everybody is or is actively trying to bail on this department.

I'm applying in house everywhere I can its just luck of the draw on when/if you get something. I can't move down a pay grade so I'm looking at lateral or upwards movements and those tend to be scarce.

We're having a goodbye party for one of our team members, who is moving to a different department, and my manager has hired an improv storyteller to 'facilitate' the goodbye party

I think this tells you everything you need to know about my manager.

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    I guess I can say here now, I just did a similar thing. I love the people I currently work with, but in a fit of pique a while back looked for another job. Then somehow got an interview etc. and...then got offered more money more bonuses and a reliable source saying the management was more sane and I'd be getting in in the real early days of a promising company and....well I start Jan 4th, gave my notice at current place yesterday. Their reply was "so now we only have person x to do thing y"....and I just nodded because I have been banging that drum basically since I joined that they do NOT have redundancy where they need it. When I joined it was two great lower level people who trained me, and I've managed to half train another person (who....also has plans to leave) meanwhile those first two left. In every upper level meeting I had I would cite both of those people as people to throw incentives at to stay, and that they should hire to fill that in but noooope. So whelp. Our job is to do a good job, not to do everyone's job.

Also I'm scared shitless I'm making a huge mistake but eh. Nothing ventured and all that.

In "I don't feel that bad about this in some ways" a higher up who has been good about staying the fuck home is coming from out of state next week, and they better have a damn good secret reason cause the current public one is "just to see people". Sit your plague ass at home away from our potential plague asses you numpty.

• KadithKadith Registered User regular

So, you cross train people and that extra person is rotating between crews and is now 40-60% utilized.

If you have need for 50% of a FTE you need a person.

zkHcp.jpg
    edited December 2020
    We're having a goodbye party for one of our team members, who is moving to a different department, and my manager has hired an improv storyteller to 'facilitate' the goodbye party

update: it's super awkward because he keeps trying to joke along with us, but he doesn't work at the company or know us at all so it's SUPER forced and weird.
    This is actually delightful because bitching about it later is going to be a fun team bonding experience.

edit: holy shit now we have to "write [her] story" of her time at the company
    I'm so glad this isn't me

tynic on
    You can never leave or they'll do it to you

this is my main takeaway from this session

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited December 2020

update: it's super awkward because he keeps trying to joke along with us, but he doesn't work at the company or know us at all so it's SUPER forced and weird.
    This is actually delightful because bitching about it later is going to be a fun team bonding experience.

edit: holy shit now we have to "write [her] story" of her time at the company
    I'm so glad this isn't me

I just

What

Man

Are they trying to embarrass the team into never leaving??

We've had a few departures mid-covid but they have mostly amounted to managers attempting to organize a safe lunch, giving up, and then suggesting you can join a goodbye Zoom call if you *really* want to (and most, it seems, do not)

This week it was "you can come in and say bye if you want, in this very small room with mediocre ventilation" (I did not want to)

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Me after a 10 hour workday in a 70 hour work week: Ah, time to crack open a beer and doodle around online for an hour before I have to shower and go to bed.

The world: But what if instead your internet connection didn't work and they need to send a technician out to even figure out what the issue is?

💀

Anyway my manager has gone incommunicado again so I guess I'm back to having little to no work to do. Not really a complaint while working from home since I can keep myself occupied, though it's a little annoying because I need to get approval to pay for more French courses, and since we're at like a month and a half of waiting on that request I'm on the brink of just paying for it myself and saying they can expense me later if it gets approved in like ten goddamn years

Still on the hunt for more work, but given that I a. Need to stay local due to family stuff and b. Would prefer to take no more than a 15 percent pay cut things are quite grim, especially given that I haven't seen many mechanical design postings for some time

Still debating a return to school but not solid enough on it yet, though I'll need to start working on an application soon so I gotta do some more solid pondering I guess

Steam
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

This all seems like a good reason to ensure you get fired from your job rather than leaving normally

Or sneak away silently in the night with all the workshop equipment I can carry.

I've thought about it and I've decided the best part of the meeting was when my manager said "With you gone, who else is gonna do that weird thing where you put three of your fingers at 90 degrees to each other and rotate your wrist with a confused expression on your face" and everyone else on the call said "you mean that thing every single engineer in the universe does? who indeed."

I've thought about it and I've decided the best part of the meeting was when my manager said "With you gone, who else is gonna do that weird thing where you put three of your fingers at 90 degrees to each other and rotate your wrist with a confused expression on your face" and everyone else on the call said "you mean that thing every single engineer in the universe does? who indeed."

I read this and found I was doing the thing by the end of the paragraph

Steam
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Is this a secret engineer thing or is it a common gesture that this person described in the weirdest possible way, I can't decide

This discussion has been closed.