As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quit your [job] thread

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Is this a secret engineer thing or is it a common gesture that this person described in the weirdest possible way, I can't decide

Thumbs up!
    fe28lmocrxh2.png

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    That hurts my hand.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    That hurts my hand.

Me to. I have been typing a lot though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I do the same motion but with my hand completely open instead of just my thumb, index and middle finger.

What does that make me?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I do the same motion but with my hand completely open instead of just my thumb, index and middle finger.

What does that make me?

a fifth dimensional wizard

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Is this a secret engineer thing or is it a common gesture that this person described in the weirdest possible way, I can't decide

Thumbs up!
    fe28lmocrxh2.png

huh

is this just a display of confusion or is the confusion ancillary to trying to work out the direction of axb

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    So long as the secret librarian hand gesture doesn’t get out.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The biologist secret hand gesture is just giving both barrels to the ultra centrifuge as it smugly tells you "imbalanced load" for the 5th time despite it being WITHIN 0.1 MILLIGRAMS JUST SPIN YOU FUCKING METAL BASTARD I WANT TO GO HOME

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Thumbs up!
    fe28lmocrxh2.png

huh

is this just a display of confusion or is the confusion ancillary to trying to work out the direction of axb

It's all about chirality or to not be a jerk: handedness. There isn't a definition for left/right handed that doesn't end up circular. This matters for setting up an X/Y/Z axis, for cross products and a bunch of other science things. Since the definition is circular anyways, might as well teach people using the reference material attached to their body.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Thumbs up!
    fe28lmocrxh2.png

huh

It's how you figure out the axial directions of orthogonal reference frames.
    In mathematics and physics, the right-hand rule is a common mnemonic for understanding orientation of axes in three-dimensional space.

Most of the various left- and right-hand rules arise from the fact that the three axes of three-dimensional space have two possible orientations. One can see this by holding one's hands outward and together, palms up, with the fingers curled, and the thumb out-stretched. If the curl of the fingers represents a movement from the first or x-axis to the second or y-axis, then the third or z-axis can point along either thumb. Left- and right-hand rules arise when dealing with coordinate axes, rotation, spirals, electromagnetic fields, mirror images, and enantiomers in mathematics and chemistry.

tynic on
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Juggernut wrote: »

What does that make me?

a fifth dimensional wizard

Fuck thats the worst dimension god that is so typical of me

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I work with robots, they're just not cool robots. Nobody likes grocery robots.

Weaver on
  • Options

Thumbs up!
    fe28lmocrxh2.png

huh

It's how you figure out the axial directions of orthogonal reference frames.
    In mathematics and physics, the right-hand rule is a common mnemonic for understanding orientation of axes in three-dimensional space.

Most of the various left- and right-hand rules arise from the fact that the three axes of three-dimensional space have two possible orientations. One can see this by holding one's hands outward and together, palms up, with the fingers curled, and the thumb out-stretched. If the curl of the fingers represents a movement from the first or x-axis to the second or y-axis, then the third or z-axis can point along either thumb. Left- and right-hand rules arise when dealing with coordinate axes, rotation, spirals, electromagnetic fields, mirror images, and enantiomers in mathematics and chemistry.

Oh! We have this for helixes.

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhkP0RWQ68w

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    We have two robots the floor cleaning drone and the scanning drone
    The later just slowly goes up the isle scanning the shelves but since the contract with the company that services it? is up for negotiation so it sits in the back getting dusty
    The floor cleaning one you can hear coming but I work with idiots intent on destroying their hearing so they walk into it or get clipped by it on the side

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

Everybody sees you doing the jerkoff when you don’t like a patron, you guys aren’t fooling anybody.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    If jerk off is the sign for a patron you don't like, what's the sign for someone whose actually jerking off?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TheStig wrote: »
    If jerk off is the sign for a patron you don't like, what's the sign for someone whose actually jerking off?

Is there a signal for “the thing that happens every hour on the hour every single day is happening again?”

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    The double jerk off next to the mouth while doing a sucking motion. I mean, obviously! It's like you don't even read the training!

• Options
    The double jerk off next to the mouth while doing a sucking motion. I mean, obviously! It's like you don't even read the training!

I don’t even work here!

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

Everybody sees you doing the jerkoff when you don’t like a patron, you guys aren’t fooling anybody.

Like this?

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    I TA'd for lower physics courses and labs way back in undergrad. At first I died a little on the inside every time I was proctoring a test or something and watched people using their left hand for vectors.

Then I accepted it.

Then I started pretending it was like east side vs. west side stuff. I had an elaborate scenario in my head about Vectors vs. Pseudo-Vectors. Sadly after 12 or 13 years I can no longer remember what the colors were or other associated minutia.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    In a surprising move, a forumer decided to come and hang out at my job.
    l0noqu5hh2rg.png

sig.gif
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

Thumbs up!
    fe28lmocrxh2.png

So... are you supposed to be able to do that with straight fingers without the last two fingers on your hand twitching uncontrollably? If so, this feels disconcerting in some way.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    yeah you should. But finger muscles are just like any others, if you don't exercise them individually a lot you're gonna find some positions uncomfortable.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    yeah you should. But finger muscles are just like any others, if you don't exercise them individually a lot you're gonna find some positions uncomfortable.

That's why I exercise my middle fingers on a regular basis when I'm out in public. Gotta get those gainz.

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhkP0RWQ68w

Skip his whole bit about how you had to be raped & impregnated with no abortion option in high school and also be addicted to meth in order to work in the grocery industry, but yeah funny joke about self check machines.

Patton whatever his name is a fucking shitass complete piece of wasted, just, somebody else come up with a creative insult here, I wouldn't lay his dead body in my compost pile for fear of my garden having bad vibes

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    The hand gesture for my job is ow fuck why won't my fingers move

• Options
    I wish I could help you.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'm joshing it's not that bad really.

And it's Friday today. And for the first time in my life I have a job where that actually means something. Weekends actually exist. I always thought they were just a myth.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    my fingers are like claws today

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Do hot water soaks and and just wrench the shit out of your fingers. Stretch those snaky boys out.

Weaver on
  • Options
    Gentle stretches are more what I would advise ;) but the warm water does help yeah

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Warm water to aid blood flow for tendinitis is for chronic pain relief, be careful with it.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I never soak my hands in warm water because it softens and loosens the skin on your hands, but I've heard it's good for tendon pain generically

Solar on
  • Options
    I do hot water salt baths for my legs because I'm a runner, and daily morning stretches and lower spine stretches, and it feels like it's never enough.

• Options
    Yeah it is unless the injury, specifically tendinitis were talking about, recently happened. You want to reduce swelling.

I’m not a medical expert, but have done 5 years supervising occupational therapy programs for return to work cases

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Tef wrote: »
    Warm water to aid blood flow for tendinitis is for chronic pain relief, be careful with it.

I feel like I'm reading this wrong but I can't figure out what you mean

warm water is to alleviate chronic pain from tendinitis

but what is the risk that one should be careful about?

edit: oh never mind, I figured it out from the second post

Flarne on
  • Options
    Yes sorry it’s late where I am and I wrote the first post poorly

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I'm going to be interviewed by Splunk again! This time for a role much more aligned with my skills!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
This discussion has been closed.