As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

There is a [Conspiracy Thread] here, and I will seek it out!

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    It probably wasn’t a marketing stunt. Someone probably just thought it was a cool place for a monolith and then put it up

wbBv3fj.png
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    If I had the money and means I'd be putting weird stuff like that all over the place.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    My money is on some one thinking "I bet I could freak a lot of people out if a random monolith appeared in the dessert", and viola.....

• TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    It probably wasn’t a marketing stunt. Someone probably just thought it was a cool place for a monolith and then put it up

Considering it was standing in that location since 2016, it is either not a marketing stunt, or it's a marketing stunt that went horribly wrong and was abandoned.

If it were advertising, they would have leaked its location years ago.

VuIBhrs.png
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    My money is on some one thinking "I bet I could freak a lot of people out if a random monolith appeared in the dessert", and viola.....

I also bet he's tried to admit to multiple people now who just go "sure, sure, that's what the last 6 people told me too!"

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    If I had the money and means I'd be putting weird stuff like that all over the place.

An archaeologist friend and I keep talking about leaving a big stone monolith carved, Rosetta Stone-style, with three unique-to-that-monolith conlangs someplace just to troll scholars in future centuries.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Hugo Weaving made a comment like that in regards to IIRC, a whole bunch of his agent smith dummy props being disposed of by being buried in a sand dune.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    So I see Project Veritas's new DAMNING INDICTMENT OF THE LEFTWING MEDIA is that they recorded a CNN staff meeting where... they talked some minor shit about other networks, and said that CNN shouldn't pretend like Trump's election conspiracy theories have any merit.

YOU WIN AGAIN, JAMES O'KEEFE.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »

An archaeologist friend and I keep talking about leaving a big stone monolith carved, Rosetta Stone-style, with three unique-to-that-monolith conlangs someplace just to troll scholars in future centuries.

I'm still fairly convinced that the Voynich manuscript is exactly that kind of troll.

For extra anachronistic fun find yourself a chunk of pre-atmospheric nuclear test steel and laser engrave it.

• TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    So, when a non-zero contingent of people start inventing conspiracy theories about 5G and wifi signals, what's the sensible thing to do? Buy a Faraday cage to house your router, of course!

Which people are actually selling.

And people are actually buying.

And then the people who are buying them are wondering why they can't get signal from their router.

So apparently putting Faraday cages around routers has become a thing for the 5g conspiracy nuts and there are companies out there ready to cash in.

My sides are in orbit.

VuIBhrs.png
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    (1) That enormously improves my day.

(2) I'm a little annoyed with myself for a reaction of "$190? Hell, I can easily undercut that guy and keep even more tinfoil-hatters offline.."

• mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular

(2) I'm a little annoyed with myself for a reaction of "$190? Hell, I can easily undercut that guy and keep even more tinfoil-hatters offline.."

You can also create a version that doesn't block Wi-Fi signals, and is just as effective at preventing 5G and Wi-Fi born illness. I suggest a blessed dreamcatcher. They stop all the Wi-Fi demons.</loading ready run reference>

• HevachHevach Registered User regular

Years ago I had a customer that wanted a faraday cage in their computer because of Al'Qaida EMP bombs. This was back when not everyone had 600+ wifi enabled doodads, so there wasn't that to worry about. Also. Because of bad research he wanted a Leyden Cage, so it took us a bit of research to figure out what he was in about.

Anyways, $15 worth of copper mesh that Home Depot sells for rodent control and a couple subcontractors to build it all into a closet and run an outlet inside the mess. Blocked my old Nokia phone signal but if Al'Qaida ever dropped an EMP bombs here on the armpit of America I doubt it would have done shit, I and my boss agreed it was unlikely enough if it happened him suing us would be the least of our worries.

Don't even remember what my boss ended up billing him, but it was WAY too much, and seeing as he was a relative I worried for a few years that he'd figure out how half-ass it was. Then he caught the whole thing on fire because somebody convinced him connecting the exposed wires of an extension cord to it would work better and I was off the hook.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Ok there was a monulouth in the desert , now it's gone. What are some of the crazy conspiracy theorist about this?

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Ok there was a monulouth in the desert , now it's gone. What are some of the crazy conspiracy theorist about this?

I don't know about crazy, but any casual observer can see that COVID cases in Utah peaked and fell off around the same time period.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    HkPOzEH_d.jpg

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Watching Colbert and he mentioned that apparently another one of them was found the UK and was also taken down, and then yet another was found on a mountaintop in California.

Copycats or marketing stunt?

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The first was up for years, if its a marketing stunt then its quite a long one.

The later ones, could be marketing?

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Watching Colbert and he mentioned that apparently another one of them was found the UK and was also taken down, and then yet another was found on a mountaintop in California.

Copycats or marketing stunt?

Probing actions by the inhabitants of the Hollow Earth. They are raising these monoliths to the surface and measuring how quickly they are discovered and removed in order to gauge the best place(s) to use as a staging area for the Resurfacing. Which is why it's so important to keep vigilant and cart these things off to the nearest scrap dealer as soon as possible in order to not reveal any weak spots in our control of the Surface World. The people doing so are True Patriots, not just of the USA, but of all countries on the planet.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    edited December 2020
    The new ones have to be copy cats, they were found too quickly and are apparently both in fairly trafficked areas and couldn't have been more than weeks old, days for the one in the UK.

The old one went unnoticed for nearly two years at least and only became a destination after a pilot noticed it from the air and then trekked out to see what it was.

Hevach on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Bill Gates didn’t know about the pandemic. Don’t be ridiculous. This is the thread for talking about conspiracies, not believing them.

What he did know is that the world is vulnerable to pandemics. Which is true.

I guess no-one likes a clever-clogs guy. Which is why millions of Americans like Trump so much because he doesn’t threaten their egos by being smarter than them.

I'm reading a book called The Coming Plague right now, and yep, we totally knew something like covid-19 would happen, because we keep repeating the same mistakes over and over.

Also it was written in the mid-90s. It starts at WW2 and moves on from there.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Bill Gates didn’t know about the pandemic. Don’t be ridiculous. This is the thread for talking about conspiracies, not believing them.

I guess no-one likes a clever-clogs guy. Which is why millions of Americans like Trump so much because he doesn’t threaten their egos by being smarter than them.

I'm reading a book called The Coming Plague right now, and yep, we totally knew something like covid-19 would happen, because we keep repeating the same mistakes over and over.

We also know our antibiotics will stop working relatively soon, and yet we still feed them to food animals in huge amounts..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    We also know our antibiotics will stop working relatively soon, and yet we still feed them to food animals in huge amounts..

Ugh. Can I forget about that nightmare again?

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular

Don’t worry all impending catastrophes will cancel each other out three stooges syndrome style

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Ugh I didn't realize I was reading the [Conspiracy Thre

Oh, right then, carry on.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

Don’t worry all impending catastrophes will cancel each other out three stooges syndrome style

In an amusing twist of fate, maybe? The new vaccine methods developed for covid19 might be very helpful to prevent infections in the first place, making antibiotics less important in the long rin...

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    So here's a fun youtube video. Leonard French, a youtube lawyer who normally focuses on copyright, looks at a recent lawsuit by a SovCit (and "creationism scientist") against the concept to taxes.

https://youtu.be/biRsShYHDYE

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

My wife's favorite genre is bio-fiction, Hot Zone, Outbreak, etc and then related non-fiction books by CJ Peters and similar authors. I usually read the books when she's done with them.

All the experts in the field have been screaming that this was coming for decades. Considering the stark warnings in a lot of the books, I'd imagine many of them probably consider COVID to be a best-case when it comes to a global pandemic...a 1-2% CFR is clearly no joke, especially how it devastates elderly populations, but compared to the 15% CFR of SARS or 45% CFR of MERS or 70% of Ebola we got pretty lucky.

More believable than a lot of conspiracy theories I've heard the past year would be one that virologists and epidemiologists are tired of people not listening to their warnings, so they cooked up COVID to be scary enough to get people's attention and take pandemics seriously, but mild enough not to cause the collapse of civilization.

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular

Good news! We might be able to switch to Bacteriophages (viruses for bacteria):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI3tsmFsrOg

Far less widely usable than Antibiotics, but... hope...

• marajimaraji Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Norgoth wrote: »
    So here's a fun youtube video. Leonard French, a youtube lawyer who normally focuses on copyright, looks at a recent lawsuit by a SovCit (and "creationism scientist") against the concept to taxes.

https://youtu.be/biRsShYHDYE

Hovind does almost have a point about civil forfeiture, I mean, it’s not the point he thinks it is, but w/e

maraji on
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I was actually kind of disappointed in that video, to be honest. Quite a bit of it was just the lawyer going, "that's not how the law works" but not really explaining how the law actually works in that circumstance. Like I know the SovCit stuff is just bullshit that tries to look like it isn't bullshit, but it would be really interesting to have an explanation of just how exactly the various arguments are nonsensical.

steam_sig.png
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    I was actually kind of disappointed in that video, to be honest. Quite a bit of it was just the lawyer going, "that's not how the law works" but not really explaining how the law actually works in that circumstance. Like I know the SovCit stuff is just bullshit that tries to look like it isn't bullshit, but it would be really interesting to have an explanation of just how exactly the various arguments are nonsensical.

The problem with that is that often Sovcit stuff gets into "not even wrong" category. Where it's just so bizarrely off-base that there's no real equivalent.

Phoenix-D wrote: »

The problem with that is that often Sovcit stuff gets into "not even wrong" category. Where it's just so bizarrely off-base that there's no real equivalent.

This is very true, but I would have appreciated a bit more of a response to a few things than just a flat "no" or "that's not how law works" though I get that would have expanded the video even more. Overall it's a good video and decently informative, I just personally would have liked a bit more of an in-depth takedown of some points than what we got.

There were even a few times when the guy almost had a point. Civil asset forfeiture (or whatever the technical term is) is pretty bullshit, but the SovCit guy just barely missed on that one. He argued that being required to set aside taxes for his employees was slavery, which no it isn't, but if he had made the slavery argument about being forced to work while imprisoned I wouldn't necessarily disagree. Some of this stuff is actually kind of close to making a legit point and could influence people into seeing more of the arguments presented as being valid, so I think a closer look at the almost valid arguments would be nice.

steam_sig.png
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

Yeah, when the argument is "That flag has tassels on the fringe therefore this is a naval court!" what do you even say? Or "I am not a person, I am an entity representing an individual who is known by the same name as this person and is also me but not legally". I don't see what legal response you can have except, "No. Just...no."
    (These are not examples from the video because I did not watch the video because I don't like youtube or engaging with SovCit BS when I can avoid it, just examples of SovCit arguments I've seen used in the past)

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

I just personally would have liked a bit more of an in-depth takedown of some points than what we got.
    There isn't one. Pretend your car stops working and your buddy thinks he's a mechanic. He tells you, "your shirt is too blue. That's why your car won't start."
    There is no 'in depth takedown' of why your shirt does not influence the starting of your car.

I just personally would have liked a bit more of an in-depth takedown of some points than what we got.
    There isn't one. Pretend your car stops working and your buddy thinks he's a mechanic. He tells you, "your shirt is too blue. That's why your car won't start."
    There is no 'in depth takedown' of why your shirt does not influence the starting of your car.

But an actual mechanic can rebut that by telling you the actual reason your car won't start, whether it be a dead battery, worn out starter motor, clogged fuel line or whatever. There was some of this, like where the guy claimed he wasn't subject to the authority of the government because the Federal government didn't own his land, and they were like, "well the Federal government has authority within the borders of the USA whether or not they directly own the land" and that was good. Just more of that, addressing the assertions with more than just "the law doesn't work that way" and more with how the law actually does work. As I said, that probably extends the video another 20 minutes or more so I get why it wasn't done, it is already quite long and doesn't need to go on forever, but I feel that simply saying that a claim or interpretation is nonsense is okay but could be better if there was time to explain WHY it is nonsense.

steam_sig.png
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I got nothing out of that video.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    I wish LegalEagle would do some sovcit videos. Lawfully Masses feels like you need to at least be in some kind of pre-law program to actually gain from it, but LegalEagle manages to give some context of how things would really work and why even when a case is so far in the onion fields that there's no longer any rational ground left under it.

He's managed to do the election lawsuits great justice and I feel like I learn more watching him talk about Ghostbusters II or My Cousin Vinny than listening to Lawful Masses drone on for an hour about some esoteric judicial disciplinary recommendation. The way he says, "Don't walk into the well... The bailiff WILL tackle you," I just know there's a story he won't tell there.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I love LeagalEagle but I don't really think he'd do any better.

The thing is I don't think being a lawyer, even a really diverse and experienced lawyer, will let someone break down why the sovcit shit is, well, shit.

They'd probably also need a Phd in history focused on law along with maybe at least a major in philosophy because the sovcit stuff has such little to do with actual law that to go beyond "No, all of this is wrong and asinine and dumb and jesus-tap-dancing-christ not how this works" would require spelling out how laws came to be, how they've persisted, why they've persisted, and how and why attempts to pretend they don't exist are asinine and probably many more angles I'm not even thinking of.

Sometimes things are so flabbergastingly stupid that explaining why they're that stupid somehow evolves into a truly arduous task. A large part of me thinks the original sovcit(s) were probably banking on exactly that.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I love LeagalEagle but I don't really think he'd do any better.

The thing is I don't think being a lawyer, even a really diverse and experienced lawyer, will let someone break down why the sovcit shit is, well, shit.

They'd probably also need a Phd in history focused on law along with maybe at least a major in philosophy because the sovcit stuff has such little to do with actual law that to go beyond "No, all of this is wrong and asinine and dumb and jesus-tap-dancing-christ not how this works" would require spelling out how laws came to be, how they've persisted, why they've persisted, and how and why attempts to pretend they don't exist are asinine and probably many more angles I'm not even thinking of.

Sometimes things are so flabbergastingly stupid that explaining why they're that stupid somehow evolves into a truly arduous task. A large part of me thinks the original sovcit(s) were probably banking on exactly that.

Nah, there's a pretty good takedown of them a Canadian judge wrote in a ruling, it's been linked on the forums a few times.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy