As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Find a [job] thread you enjoy, and you will never have to post a day in your life

JedocJedoc In the scupperswith the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
It's Friday, but that's no excuse to bunk off early. Keep those posts coming! For the war effort!

GDdCWMm.jpg

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Apparently past me agreed to do overtime on Saturday, the stupid arse

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Past me is such an asshole, always screwing around with the things I need to do!

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Today was one of revelations, documentation, and now waiting out the clock for the end of the day to come -- or for my certificate request to be processed by our Information Security Office, whichever comes first.

I'm kind of annoyed that I have to approve a request I made, but that was before I checked and found that the certificate request process was unauthenticated, so anyone could theoretically request a cert. So the extra layer of logging in and providing approval makes sense.

bcdz7ra1umwd.png

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Apparently past me agreed to do overtime on Saturday, the stupid arse

Same here. If those cowards would ever show their face in the present, I'd say we should jump them in an alley.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    fuck

Children's rights are human rights.
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Question given to me: "Is there a way in the District email system I can see if somebody I sent an email to opened it without the recipient knowing or being asked?"

Me, internally: "I can think of a couple ways that wouldn't work 100% of the time, but..."

Me, externally: "Nope, not possible."

Fuck read receipts.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Just a little over two days left in my vacation and I simultaneously want to go back to work but also don't want to give up the luxury of being able to wake up at 10 AM instead of 6.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    Question given to me: "Is there a way in the District email system I can see if somebody I sent an email to opened it without the recipient knowing or being asked?"

Me, internally: "I can think of a couple ways that wouldn't work 100% of the time, but..."

Fuck read receipts.

Oh, you mean the thing I disable first thing always? Along with displaying images?

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    expendable wrote: »

Fuck read receipts.

Oh, you mean the thing I disable first thing always? Along with displaying images?

Eh,I don't bother. If you're left on read, there's a reason.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Every time an email has ever asked me for a read receipt I cannot windmill slam "no" fast enough.

• LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Let's say I've received five thousand emails requesting read receipts in my lifetime. All but one of those were spam, and the one real person who sent me that other email gained an enemy for life.

iwantanswers3.png
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I played Quiplash 3 with some students in our discord-enabled after school gaming club.

I made a reference to Jonestown when given a prompt about cults and none of the students got it (but the other two adult supervisors of the club did).

All the adults got real sad...

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    there is no way I could pivot to playing work-safe quiplash after the horrible things we say in our social games. I would either do something terrible, or completely freeze up trying to keep it clean.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    The only managers who have ever sent me read-receipt emails were these two passive aggressive sociopaths who coincidentally have since been fired for their idiotic fuckery

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Person who handles our incoming support tickets across our various products just hit me on slack with "WHO RUN BARTER TOWN?!"

This should be good...

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I've received a few emails where I did honor the read receipt because I felt they were probably important enough. But most get ignored with a strong amount of spite and satisfaction. No, manager in this conversation with 12 people who sends a read receipt for every message, you don't get to find out when I read your email saying "Yes that sounds good."

steam_sig.png
    I entertain read receipts for my boss and people higher than my boss in the chain of command. Random doctor wanting a read receipt for their all facility wide self wanking congratulation reply all in response to an announcement does not get a read receipt.

DrZiplock wrote: »
    Person who handles our incoming support tickets across our various products just hit me on slack with "WHO RUN BARTER TOWN?!"

This should be good...

Follow up: He got them down to zero, rejected a few key resellers along the way, and has declared himself, and I quote: "Lord High Zendesk Arbiter"

Holiday break is too many days away.

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

This should be good...

Follow up: He got them down to zero, rejected a few key resellers along the way, and has declared himself, and I quote: "Lord High Zendesk Arbiter"

Or, now just go with me here on this thought exercise, how about holiday break is too few days away?

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

This should be good...

Or, now just go with me here on this thought exercise, how about holiday break is too few days away?

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

This should be good...

Honestly this guy sounds fuckin' rad, I want to get drunk with him.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Sigh I come into a light novel of posted papers saying we have 8+ cases and are notice for certain people not wearing masks and other fun stuff

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    turns out its really hard to focus on work when you only have a week to go before you're out for good and on a 3-week staycation to boot

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'm being paid weekly at my current job, which at first I thought sounded good, but so far every bit of pay has immediately completely gone. I think I prefer monthly where at least I end up with a little bit left over.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I still don't have a job, what are you going to do about it, universe?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I still don't have a job, what are you going to do about it, universe?

It sounds like this path leads to super villainy.

Do it!

In other news, found out yesterday I may have been exposed to covid by a co-worker. He has tested positive. Its been six days since and I have no symptoms. Still might get a covid test done today.

oh h*ck
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Read receipts aren't uncommon in the legal field, particularly when talking to people outside the office. Every lawyer has had to deal with an opposing counsel claiming "I never got the email" before a judge.

My story was when an opposing counsel asked a judge to sanction both me and my client for improper behavior for allegedly freezing them out of a deposition. The judge was not happy with them when I produced both the read receipt and their actual reply showing they were okay with what I had done.

Still warms my heart.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    So the spouse of one of my direct reports has Covid. I only found out because another one of my employees also works with their husband and told me about it.

Yay forced vacations for an entire shift of employees! Yay extra unpaid OT for meee!! Yay cult of nurgle not wanting to tell people about a deadly infectious disease in their household!!!

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Read receipts aren't uncommon in the legal field, particularly when talking to people outside the office. Every lawyer has had to deal with an opposing counsel claiming "I never got the email" before a judge.

My story was when an opposing counsel asked a judge to sanction both me and my client for improper behavior for allegedly freezing them out of a deposition. The judge was not happy with them when I produced both the read receipt and their actual reply showing they were okay with what I had done.

Still warms my heart.

Normally judges take a lenient, even tolerant view of being lied to by counsel. What are the odds of that guy getting the one judge with a hair up his ass about trivial stuff like that?

V1m on
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Still warms my heart.

This is only tangentially related to your story, but I've been listening to the audiobook of the transcripts of the trial of the Chicago 7, and the amount of times the defense counsel says, "I can prove what we're saying is true" and the judge basically tells them to shut the fuck up makes my blood boil. I don't know how often lawyers wish they could punch a judge, but if I could go back in time I'd at least go give Judge Hoffman a wedgie.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    3clipse wrote: »

This should be good...

Honestly this guy sounds fuckin' rad, I want to get drunk with him.

He's good people to be sure. Not many I'd want more to stare into the void of the internet on the company's behalf.

I'm just thinking the dude needs a few weeks off, so pretty stoked that it's coming up soon for him.

It's that or I need to go get a conch shell and prepare for some shit to go down within the marketing dept.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    This is totally a post whining about my job and how much it sucks and how little I get paid, and not a way to fix the forum bug so this thread appears as read correctly again.

Also, I am simultaneously vastly overpaid for what I do, and yet not paid enough. I basically am repeating the same things manually because we don't have enough will to have people help me out in a consistent manner. So I do it all manually without a chance to automate anything to make my life easier.
    This is why I'm a grumble about my job and want to find something else, where I'm the regression testing person.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Oh good, I'm not the only one who forgot about the bug. Excuse the totally useless post.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Easy fix for the bug (at least for me):
    Don't bookmark the new thread until after you've read it all the way to the end.
    And then, maybe, click out and back again first, just to be sure.

I just don't bookmark anything

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

I wish I could mark threads as unread, as it'd be the easiest way to stay out of topics I don't think I should read.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    And keep me from going back into threads I went into accidentally the first time

Jragghen wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »

I wish I could mark threads as unread, as it'd be the easiest way to stay out of topics I don't think I should read.

There's at least three threads with Anime in the title and I have clicked on each of them at least once while only wanting to read one of them.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Oh great my work is moving everyone back in to one room (because Covid has been defeated right?).

That means I have to speak to my Brexit voting Tory loving co worker again :?

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Bookmarks are great, except when I accidentally unfollow threads while browsing the bookmark page from my phone.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
This discussion has been closed.