As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trying to have fun with drawing rather than trying to be perfect nowadays...

m.brooks42m.brooks42 Registered User regular
I figure it will help me be more consistent and less hard on myself. Here's a drawing I did recently. Hope you like :) Feel free to share your thoughts on being consistent or staying motivated and share your work too!
dyj7utw33a4a.jpg

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    I found it helped to include non-human subjects to reduce the stress of perfectionism. As humans, we are so intensely attuned to what a "right" face looks like that relatively small imperfections have an outsized impact. Still lifes, landscapes, and animals can offer a way to practice that doesn't trigger that reflex.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    gavindel wrote: »
    I found it helped to include non-human subjects to reduce the stress of perfectionism. As humans, we are so intensely attuned to what a "right" face looks like that relatively small imperfections have an outsized impact. Still lifes, landscapes, and animals can offer a way to practice that doesn't trigger that reflex.

That's a really good idea :)

• Options
    I draw reasonably well but I get very little engagement on IG. I see other pages that get way more and I don’t understand why. Am I cursed? Anyone have any tips?

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    As somebody who also has an Instagram and is an artist I am going to give you the absolute best advice that I can:

Do not give a shit about instagram.

If your goal is to become a working artist instagram is probably not the best way to go about it. It is a very saturated market. You gotta know the times, you gotta know the hashtags, you gotta stay on top of it like woah and honestly I do not think its worth it. I've seen "viral" artists talking about how they got zero jobs from going viral and instead, mostly had a bunch of people asking them to draw stuff for free.

I'm not anything close to a big artist and I only get work once in a blue moon but most of that work has come from in person networking. The few followers I have on Instagram are people I know personally and interact/have interacted with or people within that circle.

To be clear, I'm not saying DON'T use instagram or social media, but I am saying don't let it be your absolute focus. I see a lot of artists sort of try and work backwards, thinking they can develop a following and then get work, when I've found it to be more the opposite. You get work and then from that develop the following. Instagram, Twitter, whatever, should kind of be a passive thing you can use to promote your work on the side.

You can also actually pay to promote your work on instagram and I've heard that is a good move from time to time. If you really want to get more eyes on your stuff thats probably the easiest way to do it.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Also, sorry for the late reply. The Artist's Corner doesn't have the traffic it used to, unfortunately.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    For Instagram it's all about hashtagging your posts to get them into the various photo streams so that you can be discovered. If I post something on instagram I'm usually including #procreate #art #digitalart #style of art etc etc.

• Options
    What should I do with this? Especially the background?hc63hat40ba0.jpeg

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    @m.brooks42 I've merged your threads. The AC rule was always generally one thread per artist. We arent as active any more, so its good to not have one person dominating the first page.

No one can really tell you what, exactly, to do with this image. What do you want out of it? Where do you see it going? What kind of finish do you want on it?

You could go many directions from here, but if you want a more "finished" look you might consider inking it, or otherwise cleaning up your edges. If you are out of ideas, this is a good time to look for process videos of artists you respect, and see what they do next. Theres also a ton of artists on twitch now, and you can watch them paint in real time rather than sped up. This can give a nice, realistic sense of how the thought process unfolds.

• Options
    LoidLiuLoidLiu Salt Lake CityRegistered User new member
    First of all, I wanna say that I like your drawings, it looks great. About the last one that you've posted, I like the idea of inking it. Ink looks cool, lines are really accurate and clear. I think it would work great with your style.

As for Instagram hashtags might be really useful, but I don't have any experience with it, so I can't give you more recommendations.