As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hell has frozen over(Jack Thompson)

wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done?Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
So there's an arctic air mass here in Alberta. We got below -40C last night(for you americaans, -40 is where Celsius and Fahrenheit meet, so imagine -40F). Apparently that arctic air has extended into HELL.

Jack Thompson is actually defending the video game industry in the mass effect controversy.

1UP article
The guy who shot his mouth off about it had no idea what the Hell he was talking about." (We assume he meant conservative columnist Kevin McCullough and isn't confusing Fox News guest Cooper Lawrence's gender.) Thompson later added, "This contrived controversy is absolutely ridiculous."

So, does this mean the world is going to explode tomorrow?

EDIT: fixed quote tag

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
wunderbar on

• Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I saw this earlier.

Holy fuck.

Ramen Noodle on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    He's obviously jealous of anyone else trying to stir up controversy.

Xagarath on
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I guess even he knows when a claim is too ridiculous.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Apparently it hasn't frozen enough, because he offered his obligatory "I'm going to save everyone from GTAIV" comments the day the date was announced. Unfortunately I can't link to any story about that one from work - my "full" interweb access still has limits.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    He doesn't like other crazies muscling in on his territory.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You know, as crazy as Jack Thompson may be, compared to the recent batch these days (Cooper, et al), he isn't that bad.

I would honestly go so far to say that his target company of choice poses more of a threat to the gaming industry than Mr. Thompson.

Wallhitter on
  • Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That is crazy, wonder if he will just go right back to attacking games now..

Ziac45 on
  • Robo BeatRobo Beat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria!

Robo Beat on
    This is not the greatest sig in the world.
    This is just a tribute.
  • StraythStrayth Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Nobody steps on a church in my town!

Strayth on
    That's right.
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    A pig just went sailing past my window.

YaYa on
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    He'd probably have a different opinion if it was a PC game. Because, you know, mods.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    He likes alien butts and he can not lie.

TVs_Frank on
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    signhell.jpg

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So is this the part where I get under my desk and brace my head with my hands to prevent the bombs from hurting me?

Ledneh on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wasn't his disbarment hearing supposed to be this month?

Undead Scottsman on
  • ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Its supposed to be -37 again tonight.

Last night I woke up and was all "Why is it cold in my room, the window isn't open!" So I check the thermostat and lo and behold it was set at +20 (room temperature). It was reading that the actual temperature in the room was +13.

The thermostat couldn't keep up with the cold that was seeping through the glass window, ha.

Shurakai on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wasn't his disbarment hearing supposed to be this month?

actually, the decision will be coming late april, right around the time of GTA4

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Jack Thompson doesn't want anyone making crazy claims but Jack Thompson.

TubularLuggage on
  • themocawthemocaw Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    McCullogh isn't a member of the Union of Psychotic Internet Lawyers, and there's nothing a union man hates more than a scab.

themocaw on
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Basically repeating what I said in the Fox News thread, I think he's scared. He's got a disbarment decision looming, and he has to be careful with his credibility.

See, with GTAIV, he can limit himself to the facts at hand: It's a game full of violence, crime, and will likely involve violence against law enforcement officers, women, minorities, and a few other things that can be used to rally support. So long as he's careful what he says and doesn't go off the deep end like he's been known to, he can justify attacking the game without lying or breaking ethics rules.

Mass Effect, though, the facts that have been put forth have been soundly disproven. They just aren't true - if he were to jump the bandwagon, he would be lying, being unethical, and that could be used to show he's pursuing an anti-game agenda rather than the agenda he advertises of keeping violent and sexual material out of the hands of minors.

Once that decision comes in April, all bets are off. If he wins, he might take that as carte blanch to pursue his usual antics. If he loses, he's a loony who lacks a license to practice law, but also now unbound by the risk of disbarment, he's held to a much lower standard of ethics, so if Fox or somebody else still gives him air time, he could be an even bigger annoyance than before.

Hevach on
  • Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Okay now this whole Mass Effect "controversy" story has officially reached redonkulous levels. This saga has it all: blogoshphere hate and backlash, a sexy young female reporter suddenly thrown into the harsh lime-light, Serious Business on Amazon (hax!), Fox News doing their usual stuff and then kind of apologizing for it... and now Mr. Ambulance-Chaser McPersonal Vendetta comes out in favor of that which he hates so.

I expect all of this to be immortalized in a "made for TV"-style drama with every major even reenacted by lolcats.

Seriously though, Jack Thompson is smart enough not to make wildly inaccurate claims while he's under threat od being disbarred. As for if I want him to lose his lawyer'ng license, I am as yet undecided. At least right now he is held back by a thin line of mandatory ethics.

Curly_Brace on
  • paco_pepepaco_pepe Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    haha, whats next? mario AND sonic in the same game?

paco_pepe on
    Paco+Pepper.png
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    WHINE WHINE WHINE I'M FROM ALBERTA AND I'M NOT USED TO -40

WHINE WHINE WHINE

Fuck off until you've spent a few years in Manitoba for January/February. It was -40 for a week and we're probably going to get a couple more weeks of that, too. And it's like this EVERY year.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm scared. Someone hold me.

YardGnome on
  • Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    DrDizaster, up yours mate, I moved to Alberta a year ago and just got frost nip(mild frostbite) shoveling snow for 4 fuckin hours.....but yeah....manitoba sucks for weather.

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This is obviously all a ploy. When the judges tell Jack that he is a batshit crazy hater of all games, he will stand up and say "Aha, I got you now! I actually DEFENDED a game last week, thus proving that I don't really hat them at all!"

Vic on
  • DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    DrDizaster wrote: »

WHINE WHINE WHINE

Fuck off until you've spent a few years in Manitoba for January/February. It was -40 for a week and we're probably going to get a couple more weeks of that, too. And it's like this EVERY year.

Ok ok, you win this pissing contest. Your province is obviously much shittier than my province.

Enjoy your bitter winter of discontent and black fly summers.

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
  • KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Fuck this weather.

KimFidler on
  • Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah this isn't surprising. I don't think he's scared. He's just decided it's not in his interest to support this one.

The Fox news controversy is a pretty open and shut case. They completely lied about what the content was in the game. Everything that Thompson usually spouts has some slight basis in reality compared to the complete fantasy that was the fox news report. So I don't find it that unreasonable that he'd chose to not touch this at all.

Bryse Eayo on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    KimFidler wrote: »
    I'm in Edmonton right now. Fuck this weather.
    it's not bad at all..and yes, i am only saying that because I drive from a heated garage to a heated parkade and back every day ;-)

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I've seen shit that'll turn you white.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Remember when he went after Bully without knowing anything about it beyond the title?

Good times.

I agree with the people who say he's doing kind of a "me too" to avoid attention at the moment.

I see him sitting in his office, with the lights turned off and his hands clasped, just waiting for the proper time to make his next move.

HadjiQuest on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    DrDizaster wrote: »

WHINE WHINE WHINE

Ok ok, you win this pissing contest. Your province is obviously much shittier than my province.

Enjoy your bitter winter of discontent and black fly summers.

Yea Manitoba sucks.. we already are aware of that. Congrats on living in a crappy province. :P

but yea, we have had it good so far this winter in Calgary, kinda took us by surprise since it was kinda nice out sunday morning.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    He's obviously jealous of anyone else trying to stir up controversy.

Yeah, he's just pissed that someone else beat him to it.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Compared to the other recent crazy people, Jack ain't so bad.

Hes like the Dr. Claw to our Inspector Gadget.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    KimFidler wrote: »
    I'm in Edmonton right now. Fuck this weather.
    it's not bad at all..and yes, i am only saying that because I drive from a heated garage to a heated parkade and back every day ;-)

It really IS cold though. The wind is killer. Odd that so many people from Edmonton are here though, Dontcha think?

Sceptre on
  • Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    not really its where the intelligent people live:P saying that i just saw a freaking yeti walk through the drifts outside so...

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Heh, born and raised in Edmonton. I actually miss the freak weather. We're lucky if the grass frosts over here. I have this very distinct memory of when I was 7 or 8 or so. Of walking to school in a freaking blizzard, so intense that you could barely see 3 feet in front of you. All because my parents were too dense to look outside a frigging window that morning.

I'm still pissed that they realized their screwup and ran after me 5 minutes later. I so totally could have made it. :)

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wasn't Jack up for disbarment or something last month? What came out of that? Has a judgement even been made yet?

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I've just come into this thread to laugh at you prairie folk freezing your asses off.

shryke on