As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Find a [job] thread you enjoy, and you will never have to post a day in your life

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I should find a resume workshop kinda thing. I haven't actually written a resume in over a decade. And I'm starting to get that urge to move on.

Weaver on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I had forgotten how to write one [really the order the stuff went in} it was my various trips to the VA last summer that helped me and lead me to my worst day

So yesterday when I came in they removed all the notices the state gave us
    09lqjqrjay06.jpg

Basically I work with idiots
    3rztu6andcw3.jpg

Another thing is I know we were expected to sell a lot of pies for thanksgiving and failed
    ee8sxo2n87f1.jpg

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Live footage of me training my new employee, a person less than half my age, who loaded his cash register backwards (twice) and writes with both hands simultaneously.

k0b3vbp65u1u.jpeg

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    We have a lady with a huge Jewfro in our organisation who insists on using Zoom virtual backgrounds and when she moves it's just crazy. I can never focus on what she's saying, because her hair is like a gif of a nuclear test glitching out.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Hey @Donovan Puppyfucker there isn't a car thread to ask this, but I figured I'd shoot it here.
    My car idles for a few minutes after short car trips, and google tells me this isn't great. Is this something I need to see a mechanic for, something I can fix myself, or not actually that big of a dilly, yo?

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    We have a lady with a huge Jewfro in our organisation who insists on using Zoom virtual backgrounds and when she moves it's just crazy. I can never focus on what she's saying, because her hair is like a gif of a nuclear test glitching out.

Ummmm. Excuse me.

Like I get what you're trying to describe, but.

Not cool.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Hey @Donovan Puppyfucker there isn't a car thread to ask this, but I figured I'd shoot it here.
    My car idles for a few minutes after short car trips, and google tells me this isn't great. Is this something I need to see a mechanic for, something I can fix myself, or not actually that big of a dilly, yo?

There is a thread
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/223607/a-supra-good-year-car-thread#latest

edited December 2020

Ummmm. Excuse me.

Not cool.
    I'm sorry, I did not mean to offend anyone.

Before I posted, I Googled to see if that was an offensive term to Jews, but couldn't find anything. Just a whole lot of hair care advice and neutral articles about actors who grew their hair out. I've never seen the term used in an offensive context and only ever as a portmanteau to describe the hairstyle.

What would be a better word to describe the hairstyle?

Aldo on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

What do you mean idles for a few minutes?

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular

Ummmm. Excuse me.

Not cool.

Before I posted, I Googled to see if that was an offensive term to Jews, but couldn't find anything. Just a whole lot of hair care advice and neutral articles about actors who grew their hair out. I've never seen the term used in an offensive context and only ever as a portmanteau to describe the hairstyle.

The fact you felt compelled to look it up first kind of says something about the term, doesn’t it?
    How about, “a whole lot of curly hair” and then it wouldn’t be weird at all.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Hey, everyone. I don't want you all to be worried when I don't show up to work today. See, I've stumbled upon this cunning ruse where I claim to be sick, but in actuality I just don't want to go to work today. I'm actually fine! But this way I don't have to put pants on or look at anyone's face or anything like that. I'll let you know if it works, maybe you can use it in your own working life.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Tried taping my fingers today. Not sure if I've done it right, but the main effect is now I can't really use those fingers for anything so I guess at least it's forcing me to rest them.

godmode wrote: »

Ummmm. Excuse me.

Not cool.

The fact you felt compelled to look it up first kind of says something about the term, doesn’t it?
    How about, “a whole lot of curly hair” and then it wouldn’t be weird at all.

I'm not a native speaker, and I learned a lot random words from '00s internet. So yeah sometimes I look up terms when I'm not sure whether I remembered something correctly or if it's just plain weird. I looked it up, saw a bunch of hair care websites and Hollywood articles, so figured it was a regular expression in American English.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    "The merge request link is in chat. Wait, am I a streamer now?"

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular

Ummmm. Excuse me.

Not cool.

To your credit, even the term Afro could be considered offensive, because the term is derivative from the word Africa.

It's curly, bushy hair. Perhaps a simplification to "Fro" would be more proper to remove any sort of ethnic origin for the hair style.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    "I hope my follow up is perceived as a professional persistence rather than an annoyance."

ITS NOT

ugh I gotta touch up the spam filters

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    Kruite wrote: »

Ummmm. Excuse me.

Not cool.

To your credit, even the term Afro could be considered offensive, because the term is derivative from the word Africa.

It's curly, bushy hair. Perhaps a simplification to "Fro" would be more proper to remove any sort of ethnic origin for the hair style.

Thanks, I'll go with that in the future.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I'm using TeamViewer to remote into my work laptop (sitting right behind me) to get it on my normal home PC setup. Which is good, fine, it works.

At least three times in the last two weeks, I've gone to shut down my work laptop and accidentally opened my own Start Menu without noticing, shutting down my PC. And there's no bright side here, there's no learning a lesson, there's just that Sam Elliott/Big Lebowski meme hovering over my shoulder as I watch my PC go "Wow, you have a lot of open windows, but I guess I'll shut down since you asked me".

euj90n71sojo.png
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    In the first half hour of work after a two week vacation I've read all my missed emails, dealt with all the available work requests, adjusted the contrast on my phone for the glare overhead, and now I'm well on my way to twiddling my thumbs for the next eight hours or so.

On the bright side it looks like telework has been increased to two days a week for us so I'm gonna try for Tu/Wed under the reasoning of least disruptment but really I only want to come to work every other day.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    Live footage of me training my new employee, a person less than half my age, who loaded his cash register backwards (twice) and writes with both hands simultaneously.

k0b3vbp65u1u.jpeg

I'm sorry what

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Yay I had to do another Covid test at work again
    Got stabbed in the nose by the nurse again but it was not the draining mess of snot like the last one

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    That wonderful feeling of nervousness going into an upgrade cycle for the financial system of a multi-million dollar state university.

Whee!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    3clipse wrote: »

k0b3vbp65u1u.jpeg

I'm sorry what

He starts with his left hand at the beginning of a word and his right hand in the middle and writes each word with both hands concurrently. I would tell you more about how he does it, but I have to look away if I see it for more than a second or I'll get a migraine.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    One writing implement or two?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

k0b3vbp65u1u.jpeg

I'm sorry what

He starts with his left hand at the beginning of a word and his right hand in the middle and writes each word with both hands concurrently. I would tell you more about how he does it, but I have to look away if I see it for more than a second or I'll get a migraine.

huh

I wonder if this is a mechanism for mitigating dyslexia or something, because otherwise I can't think of what this gains you on practicality.

Athenor wrote: »

Two. And yeah, I don't think it's for any gain other than to just be able to do it and freak out normies.

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    One of my calc professors could solve two problems simultaneously on the board. One hand per problem. At the same time.

It still breaks my brain.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam

Two. And yeah, I don't think it's for any gain other than to just be able to do it and freak out normies.

As a leftie, I absolutely hate both writing systems i've tried because they so heavily favor right-handed people. Everything just smudges or I can't push a cursive or the calligraphy of the strokes just looks off.

If I had this ability, I'd totally write with whichever hand left the cleanest, most legible words behind. And man do I wish I could pull a Da Vinci and write right-to-left.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Weaver wrote: »
    I should find a resume workshop kinda thing. I haven't actually written a resume in over a decade. And I'm starting to get that urge to move on.

I know it's a thing irritating people say, but I'm coming round to the idea that one should always be sending out resumes.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020

Mission accomplished.

Orca on
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    There's absolutely nothing for me to do this morning work wise. I'm at home. Not like I can wander into a classroom and work on a lab or something.

So instead I found out that One Must Fall 2097 totally holds up if you can get it running.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    This is basically vague booking but I can't make it too easy to link this account and my professional life:

Elon Musk can take his Starlink bullshit and shove it up his ass and into space.

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-20-1422A2.pdf

(at least in my funded service territory)

zkHcp.jpg
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Work is making my current attempt to stop nail biting very difficult.

Would it be appropriate to email the team and say "Hey, leave me alone a few weeks while I have a complete breakdown trying to get rid of my coping mechanism to deal with all of you"?

Hey "Donovan Puppyfucker" there isn't a car thread to ask this, but I figured I'd shoot it here.

What do you mean idles for a few minutes?

Like the engine keeps going. Google makes it sound like cars that do this just keep burning the residual fuel vapors in the chamber until they run out, but with a diesel I'm not sure the mechanisms are the same in that regard. It's louder than when I have the engine turned over, but not hugely so.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Oh, sorry. Thanks!

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Oh, sorry. Thanks!

no need to be sorry, just making sure you found it!

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    That wonderful feeling of nervousness going into an upgrade cycle for the financial system of a multi-million dollar state university.

Whee!

Not bad...

Only 1 customer complained because we kicked them out of an active voucher, 10 minutes after they were supposed to be out of the system, and it looks like no data was corrupted.

Took about an hour for all the pre-flight, validations, and installations, and then another 10 minutes to validate.

So I was able to release the system approx. 20 minutes ahead of schedule... which was a complete shot in the dark based on a couple previous install attempts. And then another 5-10 minutes to complete all the paperwork. I even generated a timestamped change log of all the steps I did for review if needed.

Take THAT, imposter syndrome!

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »

Ummmm. Excuse me.

Not cool.

Thanks, I'll go with that in the future.

Yeah what those folks said. Sorry I didn't answer by I passed out asleep shortly after.

Big bushy curly hair.

And I'm sure it is a term that might be used frequently in the States, but that alone should give you some pause as to whether it's offensive or not. I don't see it often and I wasn't really offended more just shocked and then a bit uncomfortable. Which I guess leads into offended.

But it's all good now, sorry for sleeping through answering your questions

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Writing with both hands was a thing in the Indian testing/ caste system iirc. I would look it up to provide more info, but my son just got out of school and I wanted to get this out there before the thread moved too much

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
This discussion has been closed.