As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Per Aspera, Nine Witches, Haven, Phogs, Morbid & El Hijo out today!

19596979899101»

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    man this game sure sounds like work..

It kind of feels like that, too. It's fun enough that I want to stick with it long enough to get a proper exploration ship and make some first discoveries, but I can see myself getting bored with it once I've done that

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    The Cyberpunk devs / publisher DMCA'ing anything anyone has to say about the game sure is the weirdest viral marketing campaign.

We've talked about this 2077 times now haven't we? It's only until release, and to prevent spoilers.

People saying this when they're DMCAing legitimate criticism of including a specific tattoo in character creation is almost as dumb as people complaining that the lore of a 32 year old TTRPG constitutes spoilers.

eh

if it's a 32-year old film that's reasonably mainstream? sure, maybe. I'd be a little bummed if you spoiled, e.g., Akira. Probably.

But a ttrpg? The lore just isn't transmitted in the same way. It's compartmentalized in rulebooks and expressed through game sessions. It's primarily accessible to an audience that's a subset of a subset.

From my perspective, there's no way to know if an image being shared is part of "the lore" or if it's specific to the game's narrative. The latter is absolutely something that should be marked as a spoiler. The former is only slightly more borderline imo, and I'd err on the side of caution.

that said, what cdpr is doing with the dmca takedowns isn't good behavior, and it shouldn't be encouraged. Hiding behind the guise of 'spoilers!' when someone raises a legitimate criticism is cowardly, at best.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Took 26 jumps to meet an engineer in Elite to get there and find I can't do anything with her until I bring her some meta-alloys, whatever they are. Thanks game. I'm sure there was no way you could have included that in the original message so I knew it before I spent several hours getting here.

I ran out to Maia , the one system that has a station that sells meta-alloy, in my cobra on Saturday. Took about 2 hours cause I stopped to scan every system and scoop fuel. Picked one up and watched some anime while I waited for it to restock don I could grab spares for my friends.

Another 400 LY trip to Deciat for the turn in and to give them theirs. Then later that day system chat is saying players sell it on their super carriers in Deciat.

D'oh

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    How does posting screenshots of a game before release count as something that violates the DMCA?

The idea that preventing spoilers itself is deserving of using DMCA takedown notices is absurd to me.

Edit: And it is especially absurd to act like posting images of the character creator somehow counts as spoilers when that is exactly the sort of stuff that is shown off in previews many months before the game comes out.

Couscous on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I dunno, but the thing isnt actually out yet. Is posting movie clips and images against DMCA before a movie is released?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Leaked images from movies happens all the time

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    There's probably a degree to which every single screenshot or clip of any game could be hit with a dmca takedown

It doesn't make it any less scuzzy when they take down an image demonstrating the game's cultural insensitivity.

Whether they have the right to do something and whether it's right for them to do it are separate questions

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I dunno, but the thing isnt actually out yet. Is posting movie clips and images against DMCA before a movie is released?

The blurry line is that a lot of things that are allowed because they are good grassroots publicity are technically illegal under DMCA. It's one of the reasons why the act is so prone to abuse - entire cultural trends like streaming are extremely vulnerable to selective enforcement and corporate abuse of criticism.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    yeah DMCAing the CC stuff is just stupid, won't disagree at all.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    The Cyberpunk devs / publisher DMCA'ing anything anyone has to say about the game sure is the weirdest viral marketing campaign.

We've talked about this 2077 times now haven't we? It's only until release, and to prevent spoilers.

People saying this when they're DMCAing legitimate criticism of including a specific tattoo in character creation is almost as dumb as people complaining that the lore of a 32 year old TTRPG constitutes spoilers.

eh

if it's a 32-year old film that's reasonably mainstream? sure, maybe. I'd be a little bummed if you spoiled, e.g., Akira. Probably.

But a ttrpg? The lore just isn't transmitted in the same way. It's compartmentalized in rulebooks and expressed through game sessions. It's primarily accessible to an audience that's a subset of a subset.

From my perspective, there's no way to know if an image being shared is part of "the lore" or if it's specific to the game's narrative. The latter is absolutely something that should be marked as a spoiler. The former is only slightly more borderline imo, and I'd err on the side of caution.

that said, what cdpr is doing with the dmca takedowns isn't good behavior, and it shouldn't be encouraged. Hiding behind the guise of 'spoilers!' when someone raises a legitimate criticism is cowardly, at best.

I don't think anything from the original TTRPG would count as a spoiler since in-universe it takes place 57 years prior to the upcoming videogame. Hell, the new Cyberpunk TTRPG that just came out last month probably doesn't count as spoilers either because it also takes place decades prior to CP2077 (I forget exactly when)

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Copy paste from Wikipedia on Fair Use:
    Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 17 U.S.C. § 106 and 17 U.S.C. § 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include:[8]

the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
    the nature of the copyrighted work;
    the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
    the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.[9]
    Courts recognize that certain kinds of market harm do not negate fair use, such as when a parody or negative review impairs the market of the original work. Copyright considerations may not shield a work against adverse criticism.

The reality is that companies are going to almost automatically accept the takedown notices of major companies regardless of merit

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »

eh

I don't think anything from the original TTRPG would count as a spoiler since in-universe it takes place 57 years prior to the upcoming videogame. Hell, the new Cyberpunk TTRPG that just came out last month probably doesn't count as spoilers either because it also takes place decades prior to CP2077 (I forget exactly when)

It's like, 2 decades or so prior and is a neat setting about cyberpunk settings meeting post war diaspora and economy crashes due to chains of production breaking down.

But don't worry CP2077 is boring so it's back to cyberpunk as usual by the games setting.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

I was more meaning to make a joke about DMCAs fitting into the genre fiction that is cyberpunk as far as oppressive societal structures go.

My bad.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    There's probably a degree to which every single screenshot or clip of any game could be hit with a dmca takedown

It doesn't make it any less scuzzy when they take down an image demonstrating the game's cultural insensitivity.

Whether they have the right to do something and whether it's right for them to do it are separate questions

Yeah, technically any screenshot of a game is their copyrighted artwork. A claim for fair use can be made for it, given it's just a few still images of a much larger product, they're reporting on a issue, etc.

But it's also the nature of fair use claims that they hit you with the dmca takedown and then you have to convince the host of fair use. You can't like, proactively have your thing protected by fair use unless you own the platform.

Which is why big companies just spray DMCA claims all over the place. It's a bigger hassle for people to fight them than it is for their lawyers to release the Google killbot AI.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Yeah, technically any screenshot of a game is their copyrighted artwork. A claim for fair use can be made for it, given it's just a few still images of a much larger product, they're reporting on a issue, etc.

But it's also the nature of fair use claims that they hit you with the dmca takedown and then you have to convince the host of fair use. You can't like, proactively have your thing protected by fair use unless you own the platform.

Which is why big companies just spray DMCA claims all over the place. It's a bigger hassle for people to fight them than it is for their lawyers to release the Google killbot AI.

It also provides a great tool for penalizing critics. "Partner" streamers and Youtube personalities get early access and a blind eye in exchange for positive coverage, while those who are critical get hit with DMCA claims.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Apparently the Cyberpunk install is 70 GB. Which means Johnny Mnemonic could carry it with ten gigs to spare. Probably needs a new graphics card to actually play it, though.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    All this hype and it's not even 100 GB, weak

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Apparently the Cyberpunk install is 70 GB. Which means Johnny Mnemonic could carry it with ten gigs to spare. Probably needs a new graphics card to actually play it, though.

I thought they said on the Beastcast last week that the day one patch is 60 gb though

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I honestly wonder what could even be in a patch of that size.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    they're patching in penis 3

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Depends on how the data structures are in the client - I know that Path of Exile and Overwatch have issued updates that, while they were small in nature, involved reindexing their asset bundles which require almost complete redownloads.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Don't games these days work on that if something is changed you have to redownload the entire file? So I guess they just touched every part of the game

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I wonder if my i5-2500k can run Cyberpunk. Listed minimum required is i5-3570K, but listening to that wouldn't be very punk at all

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I honestly wonder what could even be in a patch of that size.

They went gold in October and the game wasn’t finished so my assumption is: a fuckton and not even enough I think this game is going to come out completely on fire

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    It's been pretty well-documented that the game has basically been forced at gunpoint to run on the PS4/XBONE generation, I think

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Time for a new thread

geth close the thread

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Tube. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.