As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Assassin's Creed]: Mirage almost out! 10/5/23 via Ubisoft Connect, EGS (PC), and consoles

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Just don't read the comments on the mod page.

Never read comments on any mod page. :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    With Cyberpunk hitting in 4 days, I'm looking at blitzing my way through the rest of Valhalla this weekend. One interesting thing about the online functionality of ACV...you share a primary autosave across all platforms if you log in with your Ubi account. While I'm not exactly proud of it, I had my friend with the PS4 copy my ACV autosave and run a Save Wizard script on it to max out upgrade mats and raw materials. He put it back on the PS4, let it autosave and upload to Ubi Connect again and my XbonX version now has more tungsten than I know what to do with.

I'd rounded up like 12 tungsten on my own, just stealthing into 250+ zones and hitting ingot chests, I ain't got that kinda time to leisurely collect mats as I go.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    My favorite Mystery so far might be the treasure finding boar. Eivor gets so damn excited about the thing, just fantastic line reads through the whole thing.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    My favorite Mystery so far might be the treasure finding boar. Eivor gets so damn excited about the thing, just fantastic line reads through the whole thing.

I wanted that boar to join the Dr. Doolittle coterie of critters she has been building up, right alongside the boat cat, wolfy wolf, and that fox.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    urahonky wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I mean I'll spoil this if you really want to know any impact from the seer visions in the main story.

Zero, Eivor doesn't even mention it to anyone beyond the seer quest. Hell I don't think its even brought up in the modern timeline.

Ugh this is bad even for Ubisoft.

Only if you think narrative content is not a reason in itself to play. Because you can cut your play time in this game by about 80% if you want to skip all the "unnecessary" narrative content.

They could also have an effect on the story or on how Eivor interacts with people.

Like how the 230 narrative Mystery missions they have in the game have an "effect on the story"?

Given the enormity of what the seer visions should mean for Eivor from a faith perspective, and specifically what they mean in context of the ending, it is incredibly weird that they are never mentioned by her except to the seer during that quest.

And I know why, it's because they are optional and the player and therefore Eivor may not have seen them when the ending happens.

But this makes it bad writing and a waste of potential.

It is the weirdest damn thing that at absolutely no point does Eivor feel the need to bring this up to Sigurd, his best friend who is also having visions of being a god. Like, not even a “samesies”, bro?

Also the poison cloud ability kills civilians, which kills you. And also makes such a thick cloud that you can’t see anything. Why do things be like this

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    I mean I'll spoil this if you really want to know any impact from the seer visions in the main story.

Zero, Eivor doesn't even mention it to anyone beyond the seer quest. Hell I don't think its even brought up in the modern timeline.

Only if you think narrative content is not a reason in itself to play. Because you can cut your play time in this game by about 80% if you want to skip all the "unnecessary" narrative content.

They could also have an effect on the story or on how Eivor interacts with people.

Like how the 230 narrative Mystery missions they have in the game have an "effect on the story"?

Given the enormity of what the seer visions should mean for Eivor from a faith perspective, and specifically what they mean in context of the ending, it is incredibly weird that they are never mentioned by her except to the seer during that quest.

And I know why, it's because they are optional and the player and therefore Eivor may not have seen them when the ending happens.

It is the weirdest damn thing that at absolutely no point does Eivor feel the need to bring this up to Sigurd, his best friend who is also having visions of being a god. Like, not even a “samesies”, bro?
    It would also be a very easy way to naturally justify the growing tension between the two, which feels very forced in the game. Sigurd obviously wants to be a very special and unique boy, so Eivor having regular chats with Odin would be a natural point of friction.

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »

It would also be a very easy way to naturally justify the growing tension between the two, which feels very forced in the game. Sigurd obviously wants to be a very special and unique boy, so Eivor having regular chats with Odin would be a natural point of friction.

The whole way through I thought this was going to be a *major* plotpoint and lead to a climactic face off between the two. And it’s just... never mentioned.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Having finished the story, some of the side stuff, and some of the other stuff makes more sense, in that...you can see the bones of a compelling story, but they don't put the pieces together, so it doesn't work. Full spoilers here, I guess.
    The Asgard stuff...those aren't exactly visions, they're memories. This is a story of the Isu, and Ragnarok is referring to the big solar flare that wiped them out. The anomalies show that they find a way to pass their DNA/memories onto humans. Eivor has Odin's blood, Sigurd has Tyr's blood, and Basim has Loki's. This is part of why Sigurd is so pissy with Eivor; he thought he was meant to be the leader, and that he has this great destiny, but his memories are of not being the great leader. He must, eventually, work out that Eivor is Odin, and that drives some conflict, until he gets over himself. Basim decides to kill Eivor, because I guess Odin killed his kid, and he's mad about it. He likes Sigurd because Tyr tried to keep Loki's kid alive? In effect, the game's ending relies heavily on you understanding the backstory there, if you're looking to pick up on any of what's going on.

But even if you do all the side quests to get the anomalies, and even if you finish the Asgard stuff, and you understand what they're trying to do, it doesn't work because Eivor doesn't know any of this. Eivor is meant to be the center of the narrative and she spends the entire game in the dark as to why all of this shit is happening, and actively avoids trying to find out. So all of it falls flat, because there's not really any emotional throughline.

Compare it to Odyssey, where Kassandra gets into weird shit, but the game is about figuring out why all of that weird shit is focused on her and her family, and her directly fighting against those forces. When the story ends, and she's involved in that weird shit, you understand why and you understand the personal stakes.

Shit, in this I had Eivor sleep with Sigurd's wife, and he never once mentions it! I get done with the main quest and he's like, "haha, well, I'm getting divorced!" and then Randvi's like, "he's happy for us!" I specifically went down that route because I thought there'd be fun drama and there was negative drama.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I just finished the story... that simultaneously ruled and was the most broken, buggy game I've played in a while. Softlocked twice on the final boss bad. Crashes 3-4 times a night bad. Elder Scrolls bad. But most of the time the bugs were hilarious (except when Eivor just refuses to parkour the way you want, which is more frustrating).

tbcshoszk0q8.png

Meet Eivor Arrowhand. She kept the same arrow nocked through every animation for almost a full hour, at which point the game hardlocked. Skal!

edited December 2020
    I just finished the story... that simultaneously ruled and was the most broken, buggy game I've played in a while. Softlocked twice on the final boss bad. Crashes 3-4 times a night bad. Elder Scrolls bad. But most of the time the bugs were hilarious (except when Eivor just refuses to parkour the way you want, which is more frustrating).

tbcshoszk0q8.png

Meet Eivor Arrowhand. She kept the same arrow nocked through every animation for almost a full hour, at which point the game hardlocked. Skal!

To be fair, the parkour fucking up is an AC tradition. It has actually gotten much, much better over the course of the series, and Ubisoft has made their climbing puzzles looser so you aren’t fighting the system to try to latch onto that one sweet spot anymore.

Phillishere on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

tbcshoszk0q8.png

To be fair, the parkour fucking up is an AC tradition. It has actually gotten much, much better over the course of the series, and Ubisoft has made their climbing puzzles looser so you aren’t fighting the system to try to latch onto that one sweet spot anymore.

I agree with that. That said, every time I need to get Eivor inside a window on the second floor I cringe proactively.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    There's a tattoo pattern on top of a guard tower in Halfdan's city I forget the name of. As far as I could tell there is literally no way to get on top of it to start the chase. I must have spent 15 minutes trying to climb up but the sides are unclimbable from every angle.

E: This one
    GKJoT7D.jpg

Aistan on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

tbcshoszk0q8.png

I agree with that. That said, every time I need to get Eivor inside a window on the second floor I cringe proactively.

"No jump through it, no jump fucking through it.... STOP JUMPING AROUND IT JUMP THROUGH THE FUCKING THING!"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    There's a tattoo pattern on top of a guard tower in Halfdan's city I forget the name of. As far as I could tell there is literally no way to get on top of it to start the chase. I must have spent 15 minutes trying to climb up but the sides are unclimbable from every angle.

GKJoT7D.jpg

you have to find a way to angle yourself so you're lined up with the posts, and climb up them that way. it's a pain in the ass

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

tbcshoszk0q8.png

"No jump through it, no jump fucking through it.... STOP JUMPING AROUND IT JUMP THROUGH THE FUCKING THING!"

Honestly, "go through window" should be its own button press, because the context buffers or whatever just have such trouble.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I've seen a lot of positive things said about Orlag, but I suspect every single one of those things was said after only playing a game or two. The more I play it, the clearer it has become that the only winning strategy is to get as many tokens as possible so you can just keep hitting your opponent for 8 unblockable damage. All the healing powers do nothing but delay the game and all the other damage powers are inferior in the long run. Orlag hasn't actually been fun for probably 15 games or so, but I feel a compulsion to get all the powers.

I've seen a lot of positive things said about Orlag, but I suspect every single one of those things was said after only playing a game or two. The more I play it, the clearer it has become that the only winning strategy is to get as many tokens as possible so you can just keep hitting your opponent for 8 unblockable damage. All the healing powers do nothing but delay the game and all the other damage powers are inferior in the long run. Orlag hasn't actually been fun for probably 15 games or so, but I feel a compulsion to get all the powers.

The healing abilities kill the flow of the game. It just becomes a slog to whittle down one side, heal a bunch, other player heals to compensate, and do it all over again. An Orlag match can take forever due to this.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

GKJoT7D.jpg

you have to find a way to angle yourself so you're lined up with the posts, and climb up them that way. it's a pain in the ass

Yeah probably.

But 15 minutes of Eivor moving past them instead of onto or under them, or into the window ledge, or jumping off the thing entirely and crashing to the ground. I just said fuck it and moved on I already liked the tattoos I had.

Aistan on

It's not as deep as Gwent, for sure... and yeah, the 12 token 8 damage move is so overpowered that it is baffling they give it to you so early.

They either need better mechanics to counter the god's favors, or they need to randomize what favors you get to play with in each round, or something to mix it up more.

The dice themselves are fine and there is enough variance and strategy in how a hand can play out, were it not for 8 points of token-derived damage every 2-3 rounds.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    OK, major beef with fishing.

I need to get 5 small brown trout for an altar mystery.

I have found one in 3 hours of fishing, even in places the internet told me they were supposed to be.

This minigame is the worst timesink ever, so I guess they stayed accurate to the sport, but its fkn annoying.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    the majority of fishing i did involved swinging my dane axe into schools of fish in ponds

i don't think i completed a single fish turn-in at camp, though

edited December 2020
    Well, I just had to drop the exploration difficulty to the easiest setting because the directions it gives you at the beginning of the Glowecestrescire questline are straight up wrong. I changed the setting and the icon popped up 1300 meters away from where it said it should be.

Edit: No wait. It's just that a river changes names nonsensically.

Edit 2: Which I realize isn't a fault of the game, but it's still dumb.

BionicPenguin on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Has there been a patch since 1.04 yet?

I would turn it on to check but I am still mad about Ubisoft pulling a Ubisoft.

Nope, still on 1.04 and nicely quite indeed broken as hell but fun anyways

the majority of fishing i did involved swinging my dane axe into schools of fish in ponds

i don't think i completed a single fish turn-in at camp, though

One of the silliest weapons in the game is the reward for doing that, so I am going to do it for completion's sake.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Nope, still on 1.04 and nicely quite indeed broken as hell but fun anyways

Ugh.

It's not going to get fixed before Cyberpunk comes out, at which point

OH WELL.

chamberlain on
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

I have found one in 3 hours of fishing, even in places the internet told me they were supposed to be.

This minigame is the worst timesink ever, so I guess they stayed accurate to the sport, but its fkn annoying.

The single skill point you would get from those altars is not worth that kind of time investment.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • TheWizardOfJozTheWizardOfJoz Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazedRegistered User regular
    Huh. Turns out a bullhead is a fish. Feel slightly bad for killing every single cow in England whilst cursing drop rates now...

Thank you for the days.
    I won't forget a single day believe me.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

The healing abilities kill the flow of the game. It just becomes a slog to whittle down one side, heal a bunch, other player heals to compensate, and do it all over again. An Orlag match can take forever due to this.

Yeah there was one guy who healed 3 per block and it was entirely obvious that he was setting it up while you played against him. All of a sudden it's all shields and helmets.

Only focusing on the DD is the fastest way to win. Which is a shame. Some of the other powers are pretty cool.

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    If you're going to make animal drops random at least let me use ranged abilities on passive animals. Spend all this time hunting rabbits and I don't get a foot drop when I manage to hit one.

If you're going to make animal drops random at least let me use ranged abilities on passive animals. Spend all this time hunting rabbits and I don't get a foot drop when I manage to hit one.

Yeah pretty much why I always used the light bow so I could launch 40 arrows and kill 1 of them.

The single skill point you would get from those altars is not worth that kind of time investment.

No, for sure... but it is the only item on any map that I have done the storyline in that I haven't completed. It's super annoying!

SW-4158-3990-6116
    How close am I to the end if I...
    ...just went back to Norway with Sigurd?

Wondering if I'll be able to finish it before Cyberpunk comes out in a couple days.

How close am I to the end if I...
    ...just went back to Norway with Sigurd?

Wondering if I'll be able to finish it before Cyberpunk comes out in a couple days.

About to the soft end of the game.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Depending on how much you push it you can finish it in a couple of hours.

That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I'm kinda playing, kinda annoyed with the game? It's clearly worse than Odyssey and maybe that's just the setting being less compelling. It appears to be barred from the other side. Asgard should have been far more exciting, but instead I was waiting till I could leave and welp, that's definitely a problem. It appears to be barred from the other side. There's a host of other irritating issues with the game, the talent tree is much, much worse and combat isn't nearly as fun as the last game. It appears to be barred from the other side. The ships are....nearly pointless, down from the incredible fun they were in Black Flag and still quite a bit of fun in Odyssey. The singing sounds entirely canned and is one person, not the entire crew near as I can tell. It appears to be barred from the other side. Part of me wants to push through and be done with it, and that's a terrible attitude. At the same time I do like trundling about as Eivor who is far less compelling than Kassandra ever was and visiting places and killing whoever happens to be there. The map, while appearing to be smaller feels less dense with activities, and less interesting. It appears to be barred from the other side. Even with Asgard, the game just feels less fantastic and exciting; coming across the creatures of greek mythology was so exciting and then they explain how they're there too. Here? Kill this enormous wolf that keeps calling his pals.

I enjoyed valhalla way more than Odyssey which felt too big and yet too empty. And was really happy the ship stuff was gone.

Opinions!

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited December 2020
    Yeah there's not nearly enough Gods intervention to be honest. There are a few side quests that hint at it.

Glad the ship stuff is gone too.

urahonky on
    My biggest complaint with AC Val beyond the bugs natch, is that there doesn't seem to be a driving force for Eivor. Like the individual stories in given areas can be pretty solid, but like why would Eivor care about taking over England? He doesn't seem particularly connected beyond trying to help the settlement, and aside from one quest where it got attacked it feels kind of unconnected to what you do.

Mostly I miss the focus of Origins, where Bayek was all in on getting revenge. We need a John Wick character arc for the next AC. Or not maybe these games should just be done with.

pleasepaypreacher.net