As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Washington]🦀Tim Eyman fined $2.6M, banned from directing political cmte finances🦀

• DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2020
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    Damn shame Sherae didn't get the 43rd, but that was always an uphill battle.

it's embarrassing that people keep sending Frank Chopp back to office

dude has been in charge of a majority Dem house during the entire length of both the education and homeless crises, he is directly responsible for damn near every problem the people in his district are facing

Vote blue no matter who. Fremont and Wallingford are some of the more aggressively anti-homeless areas in the city and they were never gonna go for someone who didn’t cater to them. Nothing like seeing all those “in this house we believe...” signs in front of million+ dollar homes.

Right next to “no hala upzone!” Signs

But yes, it was blue v blue. Was a good opportunity to start with a younger politician

My favorite is "I (heart) my Muslim Neighbor" because I imagine that it's about a specific person that's like "what the hell man, my name is Robert."

Doc on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Am I understanding correctly that the premise here is people in expensive houses can't be properly liberal or whatever?

Well...

Okay, no. The person who lives in the million dollar home isn't directly responsible for the fact that Seattle zoning laws make it impossible for their home to be knocked down and replaced with apartments/condos.

That said, in Fremont/Wallingford you see a lot of "in this house we believe..." signs right next to "No Upzone" signs. Which is definitely showing their true colors.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Doc wrote: »
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    Damn shame Sherae didn't get the 43rd, but that was always an uphill battle.

it's embarrassing that people keep sending Frank Chopp back to office

dude has been in charge of a majority Dem house during the entire length of both the education and homeless crises, he is directly responsible for damn near every problem the people in his district are facing

Vote blue no matter who. Fremont and Wallingford are some of the more aggressively anti-homeless areas in the city and they were never gonna go for someone who didn’t cater to them. Nothing like seeing all those “in this house we believe...” signs in front of million+ dollar homes.

Right next to “no hala upzone!” Signs

But yes, it was blue v blue. Was a good opportunity to start with a younger politician

My favorite is "I (heart) my Muslim Neighbor" because I imagine that it's about a specific person that's like "what the hell man, my name is Robert."

Couple of my neighbors have all the things on their various doors that they support and I'm like "I don't like to decorate but same same."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    They're building a bunch of condos/townhomes across the street from my place on a recently upzoned block. I've talked to quite a few neighbors about it and the only thing that most find obnoxious about it is the construction that will be ongoing for another year or so. The overall vibe is that it's the cost of doing business. I'm glad that most of them aren't NIMBY about it.

One thing to look forward to: the increased density in the neighborhood might mean that some of the chronically vacant commercial space could be filled or redeveloped into something better than empty buildings.

Doc wrote: »
    They're building a bunch of condos/townhomes across the street from my place on a recently upzoned block. I've talked to quite a few neighbors about it and the only thing that most find obnoxious about it is the construction that will be ongoing for another year or so. The overall vibe is that it's the cost of doing business. I'm glad that most of them aren't NIMBY about it.

One thing to look forward to: the increased density in the neighborhood might mean that some of the chronically vacant commercial space could be filled or redeveloped into something better than empty buildings.

I'm personally wondering if a side effect of working from home showing itself as viable in the state has some formerly all commercial areas being converted to residential. Like my work office is in a kirkland office space area that is around a lot of residential buildings and it could just as easily be back to being residential.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I don’t believe the Seattle People’s Party would align themselves with “blue” as a common shorthand for the Democratic Party. Otherwise they’d run as Dems in the primary.

David Walgas on
    Didn't realize Washington sent our first African american congressional member to the house, and she's also the first Korean American in congress ever.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    Inslee having a press conference at 5:30 tonight. People are speculating it might be another lockdown or might be a stern talking to with warning of another lockdown.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Inslee having a press conference at 5:30 tonight. People are speculating it might be another lockdown or might be a stern talking to with warning of another lockdown.

ST reporter

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Didn't they just have a stern talking to last week or something?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Am I understanding correctly that the premise here is people in expensive houses can't be properly liberal or whatever?

Choosing a side and having some specific ideals related to that side doesn't make you suddenly the Platonic ideal of that side, nor does it ensure you understand the implications of your positions.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I've been waiting for more lockdowns. I work around the public and people have gotten lazy & stupid about basic prevention stuff.

• HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Choosing a side and having some specific ideals related to that side doesn't make you suddenly the Platonic ideal of that side, nor does it ensure you understand the implications of your positions.

My personal experience with folks like that, is that yeah, that is their world view, and they do generally support those things, as long as it doesn't impact them. This is obviously not true all around, but it's a lot of more or less NIMBYism.

Weaver wrote: »
    I've been waiting for more lockdowns. I work around the public and people have gotten lazy & stupid about basic prevention stuff.

Yep I work adjacent to real estate and they were allowed to do open houses back in early october and I got word this week of someone had an outbreak at one and wouldn't you know it they weren't doing it by appointment like they were supposed to be and they don't know who to contact to let them know they were exposed. Gosh darn its just too hard on people to protect others.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

I don't really disagree I guess, but I'm not really sure how this is super related to my post. I was actually responding to another poster, and was too lazy to quote :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    People want to believe it’s long enough to be over and not locking them down until numbers drop will let people continue to harbor that dangerous illusion.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    People have been believing in the power of positive thinking in regards ro the virus since at least Memorial Day.

“Gosh it’s awful nice out and i really want to go to the lake. I guess the virus is over now!”

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    knitdan wrote: »
    People have been believing in the power of positive thinking in regards ro the virus since at least Memorial Day.

“Gosh it’s awful nice out and i really want to go to the lake. I guess the virus is over now!”

To be fair, going outside and keeping distance is not risky, AFAIK. My wife and I go to parks and such and stay away from people.

To be fair, going outside and keeping distance is not risky, AFAIK. My wife and I go to parks and such and stay away from people.

The problem is people don't wear masks or keep distant.

Yeah, that's an issue. And with holidays/cold weather more and more people are going to be gathering inside.

Yeah, that's an issue. And with holidays/cold weather more and more people are going to be gathering inside.

Yeah we have two big family gathering holidays coming up and its going to be real bad afterwards. Shit 3 forgot new years.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Looks we're going back to the hard lockdown again. https://www.reddit.com/r/SeattleWA/comments/juaouk/managers_at_safeway_have_been_told_by_the/

Safeway employee's union got a headsup from Inslee that supposedly will announce new restrictions on Monday. Wer'e looking at no more indoor dining, takeout only, 25% capacity for grocery stores etc and essentially asking to ban indoor gatherings, but the letter admits they can't really enforce it.

Why did the Safeway union get a heads up?

In my experience Safeway stores have been really bad about actually enforcing mask policies. Sure, they put up the signs. But they don’t have anyone at the door keeping mask-less people out, and if someone comes in without one they don’t say anything.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

In my experience Safeway stores have been really bad about actually enforcing mask policies. Sure, they put up the signs. But they don’t have anyone at the door keeping mask-less people out, and if someone comes in without one they don’t say anything.

Union President met with Inslee

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Also my sample size is two stores in Eastern WA so take all that with a grain of salt

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Possible the WFIA letter only relays information directly pertinent to Safeway and stores like that. There could easily be more restrictions and information for other sectors that will be explained during the governor’s announcement.

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Maaan Costcos are going to be a nightmare after all this. I mean they were pretty good about doing store restrictions before, but only 25% capacity? That's going to be rough to deal with.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    It wasn’t so bad during the first lockdown. You wait in a line and then off you go

wbBv3fj.png
    Taramoor wrote: »

Possible the WFIA letter only relays information directly pertinent to Safeway and stores like that. There could easily be more restrictions and information for other sectors that will be explained during the governor’s announcement.

Mm maybe but Id be surprised if its anything major. The Governor's office didnt keep a tight lid on shutdowns and shutdown plans back in the spring either. Didnt have to be particularly well connected to get the news early.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Also it's not really out of left field for lockdown to be coming back. It fucking better.

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So the state's covid contact tracing app finally came out. It's written by UW and works on the same privacy-first bluetooth-based standard platform built into phone OS's now that other states have been using.

And that's kinda why I'm slightly pissed. This took far too long IMHO; plenty of other states have been running theirs for months.

Still, better late than never, and it should help after the vaccine comes out when we are in the "dealing with individual outbreaks" phase again.

We'll also need human contact tracers too when that time comes, folks may not install this and may not even have smartphones, especially older folks that are the most vulnerable.

An app will not save us, but it can help.

https://www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies/COVID19/WANotify

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
    So Seattle's Mayor Jenny will not be running again, according to various news sites with way too much ad spam for me to link any of them.

So Seattle's Mayor Jenny will not be running again, according to various news sites with way too much ad spam for me to link any of them.

Not at all surprising. Glad I don't live in Seattle with that incoming clusterfuck.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I'm glad to see Jenny go but we are really great at voting in terrible mayors.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    So the state's covid contact tracing app finally came out. It's written by UW and works on the same privacy-first bluetooth-based standard platform built into phone OS's now that other states have been using.

And that's kinda why I'm slightly pissed. This took far too long IMHO; plenty of other states have been running theirs for months.

Still, better late than never, and it should help after the vaccine comes out when we are in the "dealing with individual outbreaks" phase again.

We'll also need human contact tracers too when that time comes, folks may not install this and may not even have smartphones, especially older folks that are the most vulnerable.

An app will not save us, but it can help.

https://www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies/COVID19/WANotify

It really shouldn't have, but UW is uh...hilariously bad at software development and support. I had proposed an opt in app with QR code scan in/scan out for locations to circumvent Bluetooth tracking issues, and got shot down on it back in late March, because this was in development.

I imagine UW wants to pay software developers college administrator wages.

Which doesn't really fly in Seattle.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

Not to get too in the weeds, but I'm pretty sure this is entirely student developed and driven. There's only one software developer (sort of) that I know of that works in conjunction with UW Medicine, and you're talking to him. My area of expertise is entirely web/full stack dev, and technically is only around half of my job duties (in the before times I filmed and streamed a lot of surgeries and live events as well, which took up a solid chunk of my time). And yeah, I'm making maybe 50% to 66% of what I could/should if I worked private sector.

Mvrck wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »

Not to get too in the weeds, but I'm pretty sure this is entirely student developed and driven. There's only one software developer (sort of) that I know of that works in conjunction with UW Medicine, and you're talking to him. My area of expertise is entirely web/full stack dev, and technically is only around half of my job duties (in the before times I filmed and streamed a lot of surgeries and live events as well, which took up a solid chunk of my time). And yeah, I'm making maybe 50% to 66% of what I could/should if I worked private sector.

Oh yeah that makes complete sense.

Yeah whoever is going to replace her is going to be head shakingly awful.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Yeah whoever is going to replace her is going to be head shakingly awful.
    Mayor Christopher Rufo has a certain ring to it.

This discussion has been closed.