As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Weightlifting/Strength Training

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Ugh, cardio? Ugh!

What, do you wanna look like that guy from that one boy band?

Keith Lee your shit, eat nothing but steak, bacon, and mushrooms, and lift heavy!

I mean, mushrooms are not my thing but that sounds pretty good.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    People who are smarter than me should say if I'm wrong but I don't think cardio always has to be running (which sucks, it is known). I've been doing a combination of walking briskly uphill on our treadmill and HIIT type work with my sandbag and that seems to blow my heart up just fine. It's not making me any better at running but I don't want to be better at running, I want to be better at moving heavy things through space with speed and intent, and that part's working out.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    yeah i haven't really added any cardio outside of the 15m walk to and from the gym. my place does have a heavy bag and because of the current lockdown regulations i wouldn't have to fight with that space being used for classes. my main hangup is that my own half gloves hit my knuckle in a weird spot that tears them up (they might be too small?) and the gym has a locker of gloves but i'm kind of worried about using their gloves for cleanliness purposes, especially now. I guess the solution is buying my own new gloves but I'd also want to be a little more mentally committed to "yeah i'm gonna do this consistently" before buying a second pair, even though i logically know the first pair isn't helpful if i can't use them without injury

initiatefailure on
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    It's funny that the campus board/finger tip pullups thing came up this week considering this was the week I started putting pullups and chinups into my daily wakeup routine. So 25 chins or pulls total done in sets of 5 between my other exercises (pushups, situps, squats). Alternating chins and pulls by the day. Definitely feeling it all today. Think I'm gonna add some calf raises to go in between my last two sets of pulls/chins.

Continuing with cardio hare lifestyle:
    Vest + dog 2.2 miles this morning

Ski erg 500m warmup
    SSB Squats...warmup to 120 then 5x3 superset w/ MB 20# slams x4 every set
    Deadlifts, 4x70, 3x110, 3x150 3x3x170+Unknown amount of shrugs each set
    GHR 4x8 superset w/ SL squat to bench 4x5each
    Neck 3x15 fwd/bwd, 2x15each lateral + grip 2hand 25kg plate flips + DB shrugs 3x20x100#

Feeling very excellent. More dog walking this evening.

• GorkGork Registered User regular
    So after years of mutilating powerlifting programs by grafting on bodybuilding accessories, with the predictable Frankenstein’s monster-like hideous results, I’m giving a straight up powerlifting program a shot and trying the 16 Week Calgary Barbell Program (https://liftvault.com/programs/powerlifting/calgary-barbell-16-week-8-week-program-spreadsheets/). It hits a lot of stuff I like to do, spends time at lower intensity then I have been running and has good reviews. Anybody tried it?

I just started the first workout and my squats for the day are scheduled at RPE 6. There are tears of joy streaming down my face. This is actually really fun.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    One-arm dead hangs progressing, now I can engage the left shoulder better, certainly feels like hangboarding is actually training that quite effectively. Once I am comfortable at the full extension I'll start training locked off hangs more, and mid-motion hangs.

I need to really consider what my weaknesses are physically and focus in on them much better though.

Core and chest could almost certainly do more work. Probably need to focus on those. But also I hate core.

First SBD day, as the kids call it, of the new program. Conventional deadlift, three count pause bench and SSB pause squat.

I don’t hate this? Intensity is still pretty low, which is humane. Switching around all my equipment for all the rack based stuff is kind of a pain. Way less time to surf Instagram between sets.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I added weight and strength training to my regular running workouts a few months ago, and combined with healthy eating I'm really starting to see some results!

Still have ways to go, but this is def progress
    oadermuqwk4q.jpg

More importantly I completed my first ever 5.12 climbing route yesterday. Pretty covid I was climbing 5.10d max, so I'm really happy.

Kyougu on
    That's pretty sick man, you don't just walk 5.12!

T-bar row PR yesterday, 4 plates and a quarter. It's a small thing but I've wanted to have 4 plates as a normal working weight for my t-bar rows for a while, just because it was the next milestone. The pandemic has been bad for a million reasons but it has allowed me to get into a rhythm with lifting again and get things moving in the right direction and that's at least something.

I have very quickly reached the point where all my lifts fill me with whatever you'd call that good sense of dread when you are looking at the bar. Everything I'm doing feels like I'm pushing right at the edge of failure.

I think in previous places I worked out I couldn't rely on support bars for benching and squatting so I didn't push those as hard as fast because I absolutely couldn't drop them.

So I've identified a weakness in my strength and it's one that I am sort of struggling to think how I will train. Essentially high underclings, holds that are positively cut but upside down, so reach up above your head, pals supinated, fingers go up under the hold, and then you have to engage the arm and shoulder to pull out and therefore hold you in.

So imagine like, a bicep curl but the arm is raised above your head. Like this

131942645-152175509622001-1701119640876704786-n.jpg

It doesn't feel the same as a medium or low undercling, which a bicep curl would replicate. It feels like it's engaging different muscles, like under the upper arm near the shoulder, and the top of the shoulder

Similarly if you imagine that out to the side, rather than arm extended up? If it's close it feels like the bicep is engaging, but further away it feels like a really shouldery move. And I have relatively strong shoulders but in this case I feel like it's really, really hard. Obviously extension makes it harder. But do you think maybe some sort of standing flies with straight or slightly bent arms?

Any kind of standing or bent fly would work the shoulder, I do them with soft elbows.

I think doing some kind of DB pullover or Indian club type exercises would benefit what you’re describing in that position. Probably halo’s with a KB as well.

Dog got his nuts snipped Thursday last week, haven’t been walking. Saturday felt a flare up in the toe, dosed NSAID heavily Sunday, swollen but mobile today. Walked dog 8/10 of mile and did KB swings x10 + SA front rack squats x5 ea + 10 mb slams for 7-8 rounds. Lost count. Feel pretty good.

On to week 2. Feeling pretty great overall. An unexpected side effect of squatting three times a week; I’m really enjoying squatting again. Doing sets of six at 70% intensity makes me feel like I can punch Godzilla in the nuts.

Squatting 3x a week is good volume

hell yeah also squatting 3 times a week!

i hit my first failure point on bench today and ya know, obviously thank god for support bars. I've never had to drop a bar on my chest before so that was scary for a moment even though i knew it was high enough to catch it.

• caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Yeah 3 times a week is my preferred frequency as well. Also, the day after posting my goals all the gyms went on lockdown again, so back to home training and hiking.

5x5 today on squats with 140kg for the top set:

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
    Sumo deads + goblet squat : 6x5 135/225/315/365# & 5x8 24/32/40kg

Back squat + chins(x3 reps) + GHR(x5 reps)
    135x5 / 225x5 / 315x3 / 365x3

Wasn’t feeling like doing anything, started feeling good midway through the deadlifts.

edited December 2020
    Another fun workout. 4 x 6 deads at 330lbs, 3 x 6 three count pause bench, 3 x 6 SSB pause squats @ RPE 8 and incline row.

I just realized this program doesn’t have me doing deads at any higher than six reps and I want to kiss the creator of the program on the mouth. Eights and tens were sucking the soul out of my body.

Gork on
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Gym's closed due to lockdown, have to try and stay motivated to keep active at home which is always harder than it should be.

I was able to borrow a pair of gymnastic rings, so going to work a lot on finally getting better at dips which I've always struggled with. Was able to get from 1-2 very uncomfortable dips to like 5 somewhat more comfortable dips within a few days, so there's definitely some good easy progression to get. I now have weird bruises just above my elbow from where my arms push against the straps though

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    Reminder, vid is slightly nsfw

Have a good one y'all

https://youtu.be/saos3KpQz8s

I finally ordered some new gym stuff, been a while (thanks stimulus!); I've got an angled multi-grip bar coming from Titan, gateway briefs from Spud, and a mace to do some shoulder stuff. I'm excited!

Also Julius Maddox with the unspeakable 710x3, the man continues to set limits that are beyond belief.

Peen wrote: »
    I finally ordered some new gym stuff, been a while (thanks stimulus!); I've got an angled multi-grip bar coming from Titan, gateway briefs from Spud, and a mace to do some shoulder stuff. I'm excited!

Also Julius Maddox with the unspeakable 710x3, the man continues to set limits that are beyond belief.

I just got the Titan cambered multi-grip bar and am pretty impressed for the price. My only complaint is little to no bling. No end caps and no logo. But totally functional, with some decent knurling, and solid.

It's criminal how cheap their bars are.

Sounds like you just need to throw a couple of random stickers on the bar for your bling

When my daughter is old enough to play with stickers, I’ll point her in that direction.

The Muscle Beach Multigrip Barbie

Still been lifting, last week was good, yesterday was ass (reverse hypers, high pulls, pause SSB squats) today was like a juicy ribeye.

Military 8x40, 8x50, 8x60, 6x70, 3x5x80kg s/s rear delt raises 4x15x15#

Bench press 8x80, 8x90, 8x100, 8x110, 8x100kg superset pull-ups of varying grips and widths x5, 3, 3, 3, 5

JM Press 3x8x60kg s/s Neck harness 3x20x30#, DB curls 3x10x35#

20kg plate raise x16, pull-ups x6, band trip pushdowns x25

I regret nothing

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    guys, how do i start from a beginner level again? also noting i'm at home and ain't going to a gym

i've atrophied entirely, but honestly don't really know where to start now that i'm weak and frail vs where i used to be

i know not to compare myself to old me, that won't help

i guess the initial goal is just get myself in the habit of exercise x times per week, doing... whatever random workout video or whatnot, or some bodyweight stuff i know?

then worry about stuff once i've actually gotten the habit going again

it's tough being so weak and remembering that you weren't, for at least a span of several years

poo
    Find a jailhouse strong bodyweight routine that you like and do it as consistently as you are able through the week.

weighted pull-ups are good... *hides*

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    As someone who has fallen off the wagon so many times,

it sucks. You're going to try to do things, they're going to be hard

it's going to feel like it's harder than the last time it was hard, and you'll wonder if it feeling that much harder means that maybe it won't come back this time

and you just gotta fucking suck it up and persevere, and eventually it will slowly bit by bit start to feel more "normal" again

You can get back to where you were, you just gotta be ready for those moments of doubt and keep going

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Yesterday having been my first day of an actual workout routine after not having done anything dedicated like this in ages, I'm feeling fairly sore today but not in a painful way? I just feel the need to stretch a lot.

Does it sound like I messed up what stretching I did yesterday before and after said workout? Or does this seem like something that just should be expected since I am just starting up?

Solar wrote: »

I was debating about whether or not to do them today because of you.

But at 270 they’re hard enough to get up to a good amount of reps and leave a couple in the tank each set.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Dys wrote: »
    Yesterday having been my first day of an actual workout routine after not having done anything dedicated like this in ages, I'm feeling fairly sore today but not in a painful way? I just feel the need to stretch a lot.

Does it sound like I messed up what stretching I did yesterday before and after said workout? Or does this seem like something that just should be expected since I am just starting up?

probably just because you're getting back into the swing of things. make sure you take a day in between to let yourself rest, and things should even out over time.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    I was thinking the other day about how I used to do dips with added weight and I'm stronger now so what's up with that, then I remembered that I'm 25lbs heavier now than I was then so I carry my own added weight.

I'm trying to trim fat off, to be clear, I'm not just sitting around fat and happy with my post-holiday flab, although man I wish I were because I hate sitting around a little bit hungry.

Solar wrote: »

I was debating about whether or not to do them today because of you.

But at 270 they’re hard enough to get up to a good amount of reps and leave a couple in the tank each set.

I am actually very excited to push myself with them tomorrow!

Peen wrote: »
    I was thinking the other day about how I used to do dips with added weight and I'm stronger now so what's up with that, then I remembered that I'm 25lbs heavier now than I was then so I carry my own added weight.

I'm trying to trim fat off, to be clear, I'm not just sitting around fat and happy with my post-holiday flab, although man I wish I were because I hate sitting around a little bit hungry.

I also thought about doing dips today but considering the pressing volume and already achy elbows, I wasn’t too keen on adding those in. I am in the same boat you’re in, except same weight range as I’ve been for the last several months.

Are you wearing anything on your elbows to try to combat the aches and pains? Now that you're a dad (soon to be? close enough) you can join the "slap a sleeve or cuff on everything that hurts" club, nobody will judge you.

edited January 2021
    No, not yet on the elbow sleeves train.

I managed a two year run without elbow pain and it’s making a small comeback so whatever, I’ll try to be better at rehabbing and being smarter about what exercises I can push and what I can’t.

If not, sleeves it is. For now though it’s manageable.

Edit: also, we are 3-4 weeks out from d-day

Dead Legend on
This discussion has been closed.