As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Warhammer - Age of Sigmar] The New Fantasy

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    A 4+ FNP?

Also 6's to hit for the whole unit causes MW? That's pretty decent.

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    "Vasiliac and his fellow Sybarites..."

Heh. When I was theorising what a Slaanesh army for Total War: Warhammer would look like, I called a made up elite infantry Sybarites (after an entry in WFRP's Tome of Corruption). I know that the Hedonites already have a battalion called Supreme Sybarites, but I wonder if that's going to be the general name for Slaaneshi mortals?

(Also, I referred to Tzeentch mortal worshippers on Discs of Tzeentch as 'Discordant', which I'm still rather proud of.)

//

I spent last evening putting together and priming Thundrik's Profiteers and Zarbag's Gits. Man, those sculpts are beautiful. Pictures don't quite do them justice.

'Some awkward places where I couldn't file down bits where I had clipped them off the sprue, resulting in me having to use a pocket knife to clean it up. Also, as much as the "no adhesive required" had it's advantages, I couldn't help but think that I should be cutting off the pegs and gluing them together anyway (so that they'd sit more flush). I might in future.

'Will probably start painting them over the next few days - my first miniatures in over a decade. Wish me luck!

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I always clip the little pegs off of the push-fit minis, yeah, they have a tendency to leave gaps otherwise, not so bad on the smaller models where you're just pushing a head into place or something, but on larger figures it can be quite noticeable. Enjoy painting them though, I honestly think the Underworlds bands are some of the best sculpts GW does.

I'd agree that Sybarites is probably going to be the Slaanesh equivalent of Rotbringers/Bloodbound/Arcanites, seems appropriate. I'm curious if all Myrmidesh are going to get that 4+ ward, or if this guy just has a special version, even if the regular unit just has a 5+ that could be decent enough if they're, like, 2 wounds, 4+ save, maybe a special shield rule on top, perhaps?

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Don’t cut the pegs off completely – slice off the last mm or so and chamfer the edge. They have this bad habit of making the locating peg exactly as wide and deep as the hole it’s supposed to be stuck into which leaves no room for the air inside to compress. Alternatively you can drill out the centre of the peg to achieve the same effect.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I hate when there is a tiny piece left on the peg so it will not fully go flush
    Or how certain joints {like the new necron warriors' right arm} is held in by tension

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Don’t cut the pegs off completely – slice off the last mm or so and chamfer the edge. They have this bad habit of making the locating peg exactly as wide and deep as the hole it’s supposed to be stuck into which leaves no room for the air inside to compress. Alternatively you can drill out the centre of the peg to achieve the same effect.

In retrospect this is blindingly obvious, but it honestly never crossed my mind. Thank you for sharing.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    There looks to be at least one other new kit for hedonites. Some kind of seeker cavalry. The unit shows up in the warcry Chaos faction book.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Which is interesting to me cos there's not really anything visible in the reveal trailer which looks like a cavalry unit, and they already have Hellstriders as seeker mounted mortals.

I have not built any of the slaanesh stuff from the Shadow n Pain box as I was waiting to see what the new book is like

If I was a Realm-lords player I might take that Shardspeaker of Slaanesh model and lightly kitbash it in to a Scinari Cathallar.

• Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Looks like a small group of my friends are jumping into Warcry. I grabbed the warband box although the list I've worked up is going to require me to grab an Arkanaut box too. I'm excited to play around with the shooty balloon dwarves.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/12/08/meet-the-new-slaanesh-hedonites/

Hedonites also get infantry archers, archers on seekers and an alternative built for those, and slaangors.

So new units so far:
    Myrmidesh Painbringers
    Symbaresh Twinsouls
    Slaangor fiendbloods
    Blissbarb archers
    Blissbarb seekers
    Slickblade seekers
    Shardspeaker
    Sigvald
    And the dread pageant from underworlds

That's a sizeable release for the hedonites, 2 characters and 4 unit kits (and underworlds)

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Someone on Amazon is blowing out the Penumbral Stormvault and the Enduring Stormvault for $59.99 each with free shipping.

They're normally $130 and $168 each, so that's an insane deal (less than wholesale). When I made this post there were 6 and 3 left, respectively.

honovere wrote: »
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/12/08/meet-the-new-slaanesh-hedonites/

Hedonites also get infantry archers, archers on seekers and an alternative built for those, and slaangors.

So new units so far:
    Myrmidesh Painbringers
    Symbaresh Twinsouls
    Slaangor fiendbloods
    Blissbarb archers
    Blissbarb seekers
    Slickblade seekers
    Shardspeaker
    Sigvald
    And the dread pageant from underworlds

That's a sizeable release for the hedonites, 2 characters and 4 unit kits (and underworlds)

Kind of lame they just showed portraits of them but still a nice heads up
    Still I am going to wait for the book and see what they are like

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Yeah, when I first opened the article I assumed the actual pictures of the units had failed to load, or something.

(Best explanation I've seen: they're not at the point in their release cycle to actually show them, but with the new Warcry books about to spoil their names/descriptions, GW had to put this out.)

I have been building the Melusai and I accidently noticed you can swap the arms around to get different looks
    You are stuck just swapping tails for the gorgai.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yeah, when I first opened the article I assumed the actual pictures of the units had failed to load, or something.

(Best explanation I've seen: they're not at the point in their release cycle to actually show them, but with the new Warcry books about to spoil their names/descriptions, GW had to put this out.)

Wasn’t even that; someone leaked a few pages of the Warcry books, which included the portraits but no images of whole models.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    It's fairly obvious that covid delays means that the hedonites book was supposed to be out before the warcry book, but has slipped till after it.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I built one Tyrant, but I have another one in the Bone Bros vs Large Adult Sons box. Digging through my bitz box to see if I can find anything interesting to swap his spearhead for, but can't find anything super-interesting. Hmm hmm.

I spent last evening putting together and priming Thundrik's Profiteers and Zarbag's Gits. Man, those sculpts are beautiful. Pictures don't quite do them justice.

'Some awkward places where I couldn't file down bits where I had clipped them off the sprue, resulting in me having to use a pocket knife to clean it up. Also, as much as the "no adhesive required" had it's advantages, I couldn't help but think that I should be cutting off the pegs and gluing them together anyway (so that they'd sit more flush). I might in future.

'Will probably start painting them over the next few days - my first miniatures in over a decade. Wish me luck!

To follow up on this, I decided to start by painting Thundrik's Profiteers as I got a bit of inspiration for a colour scheme. I didn't test it out though, as it's only for five models, and... as I finished up the base colours I was getting real worried that I had made a horrible, horrible mistake.

Got them washed last night and let out a huge sigh of relief. It's amazing how much that let them come to life. Still need to touch up and highlight, but feeling good.

//

Also, a question: Direchasm is listed (under pre-orders) as starting to ship as of tomorrow, but what day do the physical stores put them on the shelf? Will I be able to go pick it up this weekend, or have to wait for Tuesday or some-such?

edited December 2020
    I know that feeling. Everytime I finish up the colour blocking I'm starting to get angsty and have to motivate myself to continue. It truly is the challenges and temptation phase in the Hero's journey.

For the question. Release date is typically when it should be on the shelves and some flgs already have the stuff for sale the day before. So if you preordered it can happen that your shipment later than it's available in stores.

honovere on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    One of the things I like about Contrast paint is skipping that block colour ‘oh god it looks shit’ stage before the magic washes do their thing.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    Here's me not bothering to wait for daylight to try to take a picture (via potato-camera, of course):

oxc6futa5eme.jpg
    They're supposed to look vaguely like Rex's dive suit from Xenoblade 2.

One of the things I like about Contrast paint is skipping that block colour ‘oh god it looks shit’ stage before the magic washes do their thing.

I like to call it the, "We'll fix it in Post!" stage.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

44z0q4np8ipz.png?auto=webp&s=5172560779423ed30435e939cfb568cfb41e57a7

Agrax Earthshade on top of Balthasar Gold is probably my favorite color combo out of the entire Citadel paint range.

When Warcry released, I got the starter box, but one of the Iron Golem sprues had been damaged in transit. I emailed GW, sent them some pictures, and they sent me a replacement, which was awesome. I managed to repair the damage on the busted one and so I basically had two Iron Golems warbands (which led to me having a blast having two Ogor Breachers walking around beating everything else to death).

I recently moved and found the 2 sprues. All I am missing is the third sprue and I could have three full Iron Golem warbands. I can't find anyone selling individual sprues, but upon closer inspection it looks like the sprue I am missing is the one that just has three Legionaries on it. This means that while I can't run three full units in Age of Sigmar, I can run a triple Ogor Breacher list in Warcry, which is an idea so dumb I can't believe I didn't try it sooner.

I picked up Direchasm.

There were a couple spots where the sprues were a bit egregious in how thickly they were connected to the model, and the Lumineth have a number of very thin, fiddly bits. Particularly: the Stoneguard's arms had no nice way to sit into the chest, the blade-master's banner poll decoration gave me palpitations while clipping it out, and the top of the spellcaster's staff did break (I just used a bit of glue to turn the empty hole at the top into a "gem" so it'll look fine, I think).

The rules... pamphlet (seems too generous to call it a book) only has a couple pages of background, which repeat themselves. Larger blurbs on the 'Purifiers and Dread Pageant, smaller ones on Khagra's Ravagers and the Starblood Stalkers (the warbands releasing in January and February). The 'Stalkers are mentioned to be a Skink party joined by the "Saurus Oldblood Klaq-Trok," so I'd expect him to be revealed soon (joining the Chameleon Skink and Starpriest). I had been wondering if they'd have a Salamander or something, but I'm assuming not if they have a Saurus with them.

edited December 2020
    Work is kicking my ass mentally for various reasons
    I do need to get more plastic glue [I like using the revell contacta professional Es ist ein Schmerz, in den USA zu bekommen}
    But I built the 10 medusi that come in shadow n pain as the blood sisters finding out by accident you can switch the arm sets around for different looks
    1zy9bkx3ejrg.jpg

I like the one crumbled up taking a hard hit

Also I used one of the left over masks to mask the medusa that comes in the cauldron of blood. It was easier to cut the face off than build the head with the snake hair around the helm

Brainleech on
    My friend and I did a learning game with a new guy last night, I brought Blades of Khorne and he had Beasts of Chaos, 600 points each.

A buffed up Doombull is a serious pain train, he killed my Khorgorath and my Slaughterpriest over two turns. Blood Tithe points aren't terribly useful at 600 points (there aren't enough units to give you that many), but I did manage to drop in 15 Bloodletters late in the game that certainly helped.

MVP was strangely a single Bloodreaver (the musician) who, even after watching all of his squad get brutally killed, managed to hold off an entire unit of Ungors for a couple of turns, leaving my Blood Warriors free to go cave some Bullgor heads in. I now have to think of a name for him.

edited December 2020
    Beasts are presently one of the weakest armies in the meta, but yeah doombulls are very scary at low point games

EDIT: that sounds overly negative and I don't mean it to be, yay for new players!

PiptheFair on
    Hey man, I know what you're getting at. I picked up slaves to darkness at the start of second edition. Same energy.

I have no idea about meta effectiveness (nor do I care much), but at some point I kind of want to make a cow-heavy BoC list just for fun.

BoC can be real fun (maybe not super competitive, I dunno) when you abuse the hell out of the Herd Stone.

Weird a lot of the boob snake lord have appeared on ebay in various states
    I am tempted but it means a dunk and a hope they did not use enamels

edited December 2020
    Echo wrote: »
    I have no idea about meta effectiveness (nor do I care much), but at some point I kind of want to make a cow-heavy BoC list just for fun.

moocows do a frankly terrifying amount of damage and have very good movement, but they're fragile and have bad bravery

the whole army needs to get a charge off(at which point you feed your hungry murder moos) and also not face anything with shooting

EDIT: also the most important thing is that they look cool as hell

PiptheFair on
    From the Warhammer Community article on Covid/Brexit delays in the new year:
    For Warhammer Age of Sigmar fans, you’ll see the next new battletome (and a bunch of incredible minis) drop in February. Trust us, this one’s a doozy – we’ll even give you a sneak peek on Christmas day!

I assume this will be the whole Slaaneshi mortals range.

PiptheFair wrote: »
    EDIT: also the most important thing is that they look cool as hell

Yeah, I saw some random batrep earlier this year, and I also have this mini for the Massive Darkness board game that kind of gave me the urge.

jtfgbi1waji1.png

From the Warhammer Community article on Covid/Brexit delays in the new year:
    For Warhammer Age of Sigmar fans, you’ll see the next new battletome (and a bunch of incredible minis) drop in February. Trust us, this one’s a doozy – we’ll even give you a sneak peek on Christmas day!

I assume this will be the whole Slaaneshi mortals range.

My assumption was that the Slaanesh mortals would be rolled out with a Broken Realms book, but you could well be right, it seems like quite a lot of kits to go into a supplement like that and the GW collectible coin for January features a Slaanesh icon, which lines up with the slowed releases pushing things into February. The only issue is that the first Hedonites Battletome is one of the more recent ones for AoS, but the way it's constructed makes it difficult to just slot in a bunch of mortal units in any meaningful way, so we'll see.

Yeah...

Otherwise it's definitely Vampirates then, right?

edited December 2020
    Some sort of vampire faction would be my guess

TheGerbil on
This discussion has been closed.