As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Is Doomguy really that wanted for Smash? I always thought that was a joke, like those who want Goku.

For a long time, the first-person shooter genre were collectively referred to as "Doom clones". It wasn't the first of its kind, but for practical purposes it defined its genre. The original game still holds up today, and as far as the Nintendo connection goes, there was a version of DOOM for the SNES. The Doom Slayer isn't my first choice of character, but I can't say there's no argument for him.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    The current speculation logic is that today is DOOM's twentysomething anniversary and also DOOM eternal released 2 days ago.
    Insert meme it's all connected.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    no, see, I saw a sort of purple-ish chair yesterday. It's Skull Kid.

• Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Of course!

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Is Doomguy really that wanted for Smash? I always thought that was a joke, like those who want Goku.

For a long time, the first-person shooter genre were collectively referred to as "Doom clones". It wasn't the first of its kind, but for practical purposes it defined its genre. The original game still holds up today, and as far as the Nintendo connection goes, there was a version of DOOM for the SNES. The Doom Slayer isn't my first choice of character, but I can't say there's no argument for him.

Plus the juxtaposition would be hilarious, especially seeing Mario and such on a Doom stage with demons running around and hard-driving metal.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    hi I'm here to ruin people's fun
    1. Marty Stratton has said that Nintendo has never approached them (id Software/Bethesda) about Doomguy/Doom Slayer
    2. The producer of the Yakuza series, Toshihiro Nagoshi, has said he doesn't want Kiryu in a fighting game because he doesn't want to see Kiryu beat up women

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Monster Hunter, since there's a new title dropping in March.

Edit: Also as a troll, female in Kirin armor. But it's G-rank.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    hi I'm here to ruin people's fun
    1. Marty Stratton has said that Nintendo has never approached them (id Software/Bethesda) about Doomguy/Doom Slayer
    2. The producer of the Yakuza series, Toshihiro Nagoshi, has said he doesn't want Kiryu in a fighting game because he doesn't want to see Kiryu beat up women

The Shantae and Risky Boots spirits are in the game because Wayforward proactively submitted concept art to Nintendo for use in Smash. Nintendo hasn't approached them, but have they approached Nintendo? :biggrin:

... but, in all seriousness, I would tend to take people at their word, even in the face of NDAs making people talk out the sides of their mouths.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Shantae would be most excellent therefore it's not her.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I would love Shantae personally. As far as Indie icons, she is pretty much a poster child for them and has a long history with Nintendo. Plus her fighting style would be completely unique with her hair whips and animal transformations.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Shantae has more moveset potential recently than ever, with the new transformations from Seven Sirens. Monkey and Elephant are classic, but I really like stuff like the Dash Newt and Bonker Tortoise.

• Options
    I can't recall if I ever wrote up my hypothetical Shantae moveset, so just in case, here's a repeat:

Shantae operates on a simple gimmick: all of her B moves are charge moves, but they all share a common charge-up. Meaning, you can press and hold B to start a transformation dance, but at any time you can move the control stick to change which dance you're doing, while retaining any accumulated charge. Releasing the button or reaching full charge activates the transformation move.

Neutral B: Mermaid Splash - Transform into a mermaid and splash water in all directions. At base charge, this merely pushes enemies away; at second tier, it erases incoming projectiles and has a wider area of effect; at maximum charge, it causes some damage and reflects projectiles.
    Side B: Monkey Bullet - Transform into a monkey and dash forward, with velocity (and therefore total distance covered) increasing with charge time. Press B again to use the Monkey Claw for a swiping attack and end the charge.
    Down B: Elephant Stomp - Transform into an elephant and smash the ground, increasing the size of the shockwave and damage inflicted with charge time. In the air, drops with precipitous speed, meteoring at full charge.
    Up B: Harpy Flap - Transform into a harpy and fly in the air. Press B to flap your wings to gain height (similar to Villager's Balloon Fight), or press A to slash with her talons. Gain more total uses of flapping/slashing with charge time.

Personally, I would assign the game's recurring attack items for her smash attacks:
    Forward Smash: Fireball - A short-ranged fireball, similar to Mega Man's Mega Buster smash. At full charge, emits three fireballs in a fan.
    Down Smash: Pike Ball - Conjures a spikey ball that spins around Shantae, attacking in both directions. At full charge, turns into a Super Pike Ball (now there are two of them!).
    Up Smash: Storm Puff - Raises a small cloud over her head that emits a burst of lightning. At full charge, it rises higher and strikes the full distance between it and her hands with lightning. (I am thinking maybe a character length, not Pikachu's Thunder.)

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Here I am, hoping in hopelessness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ0iTDafXuM

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Sephiroth?

... I'll allow it

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ...well, no sane person could have predicted THAT.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I shouldn't be surprised but god damn that is awesome...
    Sephiroth in Smash!!

• Options
    Swoooooooooooords

• Options
    Thoughts:
    Yes, I want other games represented, but Sephiroth is cool, and he brings neat stuff to the table, so I’ll allow it.

He’s got a counter: Scintilla.
    Looks like Shadow Flare is a status attack that explodes later.
    He can stick to walls? Huh.

They really like leaning into the “MARIO FUCKING DIED” jokes, huh?

FFVII is getting a second arena. One for each song the game has in Smash.

It’s looking like Cloud is getting a variant of his Final Smash if he’s equipped with his Advent Children costume.

Are they adding Safer Sephiroth as a new boss fight?

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    14 year old me would have creamed his jeans.

37 year old me... is indifferent. Ain't against it, I just have no strong feelings one way or another for it now.
    Hot take: Should've been Kefka. :P

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Well, I'm ok with this pick. Never would have predicted that.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    One of the reasons I hoped for Sora in Smash (yes yes Disney devourer of all blah blah I know) was that Square's known for their pretty particle effects. They make some fuckin' gorgeous spell animations, even if they take too long to finish. And Sora has a lot more reason to be treated as a sort of "caster-swordsman" than Cloud, which would let him have more spells. Sephiroth appears to have spells for his B-moves (Reflect, some kind of darkness attack, Flare), which is refreshing.

EDIT: I'm guessing Safer Sephiroth / Supernova is his Final Smash.

Kupi on
  • Options
    Also:
    Pretty sure Sephiroth wasn't in Chain of Memories. Or Re Coded either.

That makes his "Nintendo" game literally Theatrhythm as far as I can tell. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Also:
    Pretty sure Sephiroth wasn't in Chain of Memories. Or Re Coded either.

That makes his "Nintendo" game literally Theatrhythm as far as I can tell. :)
    well.

FFVII is on the Switch at this point.

• Options
    Fucking do it Nintendo. Put in the full length supernova animation for his smash attack.

• Options
    I mean, huge stunner, but I'm kind of eh.

Though if nothing else:
    Maybe we'll finally get decent Final Fantasy music in Smash?

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Haven't had a chance to actually watch the reveal trailer, but is there any idea if there's new music? Or are we still stuck with the same two tracks?

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    vt3zveft9cwg.jpg

• Options
    What a great shot.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    What a great shot.

My reaction was:

"Oh fuck off you didn't!"

Followed by:

"Yeah that's what I thought!"

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Now start the rumors that there is actually a way to revive Mario.

Kai_San on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Please stop putting the video game ad in spoilers, holy shit.

Did I mention that Sephiroth, villain of Final Fantasy VII, the one where Aeris dies, is in Smash Ultimate? Because he is!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Sterica wrote: »
    Please stop putting the video game ad in spoilers, holy shit.

Did I mention that Sephiroth, villain of Final Fantasy VII, the one where Aeris dies, is in Smash Ultimate? Because he is!

What did I do?

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    That is directed at everyone putting the reveal in spoilers.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    There's an expectation in the community that these are reveals. People may want to see it for themselves and be surprised. The statute of limitations on these is obviously going to be short, but for, like, the first day after the trailer's released? Yeah, not just dropping it out there seems to be what people expect.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Haven't had a chance to actually watch the reveal trailer, but is there any idea if there's new music? Or are we still stuck with the same two tracks?

the trailer had the black mages version of one winged angel

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Pretty much what Kupi said, yes.
    But yeah, I can't think of a lot of things that would make me less enthusiastic than Sephiroth. We already have Cloud for our Final Fantasy 7 rep, who is a better character with a more interesting potential moveset (have you seen Sephiroth in the Dissidia games, it's hilarious how almost studiedly boring he is. Even his neutrals are him just sort of holding his sword aloofly while wind attacks come out because we can't let Sephiroth look like he might be making an effort).

Let some other Square games play, damn it! They have a ton of them!

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Oh well I recognized that falling stab from the Aerith scene but didn’t see Zelda there to complete the reference the first time I watched it.

The character is just alright for dlc but the trailer at least is top notch.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Pretty much what Kupi said, yes.
    But yeah, I can't think of a lot of things that would make me less enthusiastic than Sephiroth. We already have Cloud for our Final Fantasy 7 rep, who is a better character with a more interesting potential moveset (have you seen Sephiroth in the Dissidia games, it's hilarious how almost studiedly boring he is. Even his neutrals are him just sort of holding his sword aloofly while wind attacks come out because we can't let Sephiroth look like he might be making an effort).

Let some other Square games play, damn it! They have a ton of them!

On one hand, no series needs better representation than Final Fantasy. Give us Terra! Or Cecil! Or just Mog or something. Or maybe go from a different series and go Chrono (with Lucca or Magus as an assist trophy!)

On the other hand, the first few notes of the song kick in, and I still get chills. I'm an easy mark I guess.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Seriously, I really wanted to have a character actually from a Final Fantasy game I played on Nintendo back in the day. But this does look like he'll be cool. But Terra, tho.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    If there's going to be one Final Fantasy 6 rep it's going to be Mog, god dammit.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA