As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game Awards 2020] It's a hell year, so of course Hades did well

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Some deserved wins for Hades so far. Also a new Endless universe game is neat.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I'm super far behind but Crimson Desert looks dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8oGEGVEDVs

KoopahTroopah on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I'm stilla bit misty over the Among Us acceptance speech. So wholesome and cute!

• DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    no elden ring? i quit

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Wooooow it looks weird to have one of the recipients just standing outside a window/door like that.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    I'm stilla bit misty over the Among Us acceptance speech. So wholesome and cute!

So good they treated us to a second one

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Finally caught up, Eddie Vedder still sounds great.

KoopahTroopah on
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular

What is this and how do I give it all of my money?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Have they got to the main award of Game of the Year yet? That's the one I am super curious about.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Have they got to the main award of Game of the Year yet? That's the one I am super curious about.

Its going to be last of us 2.

I liked how Just Cause is coming to mobile devices so it can freeze up your phone too!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    John Wick 4 apparently we get a shaved Keanu. Oh also he was on the show.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »

I would be all about this if it was anything other than a Korean MMO.

cckerberos.png
    cckerberos wrote: »
    Spaffy wrote: »

I would be all about this if it was anything other than a Korean MMO.

Yeah that's all I needed to know "Welp grindy as fuck, nope"

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Red ending is cannon!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT LIARA

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Uhm. This medley is fucking fantastic. I hope this is uploaded later.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend

But also yeah Lorne Balfe did a really impressive job of tying those themes together. (Probably helps they picked the most DOOM-like theme from Hades lol)

I mean the awards are basically bought and paid for that shouldn't surprise anyone.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    That is mostly a myth though

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I mean the awards are basically bought and paid for that shouldn't surprise anyone.

That's false.

Game Awards are selected by a panel of judges from around the industry.

Jeff Gerstmann of Giant Bomb and.. uh, it used to be Austin Walker of Waypoint were judges. It's literally how Jeff got nominated for Trending Gamer of the Year one year (he put his name down to be a smartass and whoops.)

The sad fact is this industry just has its head up its ass over prestige gaming.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Uhm. This medley is fucking fantastic. I hope this is uploaded later.

Hearing Animal Crossing music with drums in it did a number on my brain.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    I was surprised that FFVIIR was so low in the poll. It was dead last out of all the nominees.

That's false.

Jeff Gerstmann of Giant Bomb and.. uh, it used to be Austin Walker of Waypoint were judges. It's literally how Jeff got nominated for Trending Gamer of the Year one year (he put his name down to be a smartass and whoops.)

The sad fact is this industry just has its head up its ass over prestige gaming.

Right and the Oscars totally have a panel of judges too.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited December 2020
    I think people bitching about TLoU2 winning awards have clearly not actually played the game.

It is an astounding technical achievement in gaming and while the story has a lot of debatable ideas in it, there really wasn't anything like it this year.

I liked Hades a lot, but it's not the technical achievement that TLOU2 is.

Edit: And it absolutely deserved GoTY as well.

Aegeri on
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I think people bitching about TLoU2 winning awards have clearly not actually played the game.

It is an astounding technical achievement in gaming and while the story has a lot of debatable ideas in it, there really wasn't anything like it this year.

That such technical achievement required human misery to achieve should diminish the direction as something that should be applauded.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png

That's false.

Right and the Oscars totally have a panel of judges too.

They actually do, as much as you'd like to push this mild conspiracy theory lol
    They are just incredibly culturally insular and sheltered, like nominating The Tale Of Princess Kaguya and giving the award instead to Big Hero 6 because it's more comfortably US-centric to them

• LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    All grand achievements are built upon human misery and exploitation. What world do you live in.

Lilnoobs wrote: »
    All grand achievements are built upon human misery and exploitation. What world do you live in.

His point is that it shouldn’t be.

And it’s 100% valid.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Rigged or not these award shows tend to align pretty well with critically acclaimed media; like I struggle to look at a winner for Best Picture and think "Oh totally fixed!*" I haven't finished it yet because it is a rough game, but TLOU2 is definitely at the top of my 2020 gaming experience and I can't criticize any of the awards it won (particularly narrative).

*. . .alright I'll give you the GRAMMY's. Absolutely fixed.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    Just to clarify, I was not referring to people talking about the working conditions or similar with regards to Last of Us 2 winning the award.

Rather the group of particular dumbasses offended that the game has women in it and featured a trans character (many of whom, got it wrong with their assumptions while making said complaints) in the narrative.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Last of Us winning best narrative over the likes of Hades, 7R, and especially 13 Sentinels is a massive joke.

And I say that as someone who liked the game.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    But did you see the graphics though? Wow!

(I also loved TLoU2 but holy shit, it deserved to lose most of those categories!)

Oh brilliant
  • drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular

Eh, I'd give it more to Animal Crossing because during the pandemic, it actually provided kind of a haven for a lot of regular people in lockdown. It gave a lot of people something to do day by day on what it and still probably one of the darkest parts of their lives. TLoU2 is great, but I don't think it really had that much of a impact on people's behavior as Animal Crossing did.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Hades didn't win enough.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I find it humorous that you guys are arguing over who won what at this game reveal show that cosplays as an award show.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    It's true though, I'm here for the reveals (and the orchestra performances) not the awards.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I would rather Hades win because it'll increase sales even more because they deserve it.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Right except I did play it though and I fucking hated it

A miserable slog of a game with significant pacing issues

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »

Then you remove the "direction" award until something exists that might actually deserve praise for the actions of its directors. Because "not any more miserable an endeavor than all other human works" is not worthy of an award.