As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PC Build Thread] Nope, you still can't buy anything

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Just spray paint the inside of your PC I'm sure it's fine

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Just spray paint the inside of your PC I'm sure it's fine*

*jungleroomx Inc. does not actually suggest you spray paint your PC. This is for comedic effect only and jungleroomx Inc. cannot be held liable for damage done by "spray painting inside of your PC".

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I don't have to turn it off or anything first right? I can just pop open the side and hit it with some Krylon?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    The Gigabyte 6800 (non-XT) Gamer OC is white, I've been trying my hand at that one as well

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I don't have to turn it off or anything first right? I can just pop open the side and hit it with some Krylon?

The warmth from powered components will allow it to cure faster.

**do not fucking do this**

Someday in the future, fluorescent paint atomizers operated by RGB controllers in front of everyone's intake fans.

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Get a case with a window.

Make build.

Take picture of build through window.

Photoshop! your interior to be all white.

Print out altered picture sized to fit window.

Tape it to the window.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
    Cool. I got some white spray paint here, and the side off, so I'm gonna try this now. I'll let you kn

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Give me a PC that's shiny and chrome inside and out.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    emi65q9vu6jd.png

• BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Namrok wrote: »
    Speaking of 6800's, I've been window shopping for parts for a 2004 era Win2K box. The sort of machine I built with my internship money back when Doom 3 was coming out. Man, the Geforce 6800 was a hell of a card. I eventually destroyed mine overclocking it too hard.

2004 is a weird time to target, because you have both AGP and PCI-E, and on the Athlon 64 side you have Socket 754 and Socket 939. I think at the time I had a Socket 754 build, so that's probably what I'll go with again, despite the platform being more of a dead end in 2004 than 939 was.

It's also funny because Geforce 6800's are most plentiful in AGP, but then you go up a year and 7800's are most plentiful in PCI-E. With prices to match. Goes from $50 on ebay to $100+.

It's especially funny that not a single complete system with an Athlon 64 is on ebay. I got all sorts of complete systems junking up my ebay searches when I was looking for old Pentium 233 MMX platforms. Really reminds you how badly Intel ratfucked AMD back when they arguably had the best chips in the early 00's.

If you're looking for a good AGP card, there's decent chance I still have a retired Geforce 7800GS AGP card sitting in a box around here somewhere. I'll take a look this weekend and if I do, it's yours if you want it.

That card was my last desperate attempt to get playable framerates in Oblivion with all the eyecandy before I could afford to upgrade to that there newfangled PCI-eeeee stuff. :lol:

I believe I shall take you up on that.

@Namrok I, uh, have a hard time throwing away old hardware. This
    [img][/img]CL03vWx.jpg
    baby is yours if you want it, you'd just have to pay shipping out of Tampa FL.

*Edit* I also have other hardware from various generations if interested. I've been procrastinating putting them on ebay.

Bullhead on
    96058.png?1619393207
    3clipse wrote: »
    It appears that the newegg thing was a system error and you can, in fact, return the extra item.

This was an emotional roller coaster.

So the roller coaster has continued.

On /r/buildapcsales, they're reporting that NewEgg is now saying they're not allowing solo returns starting with any combos purchased today, from here on out.

And then for a quick lurch to the left as the rollercoaster tries to get you to lose your emotional lunch, their customer service reps don't seem to know which way is up anymore because the policy has actually changed several times today (indicating not so much of a bug as NewEgg changing their policy constantly because hey it turns out selling combos of heavily-in-demand items and a mcdonald's wrapper is a policy minefield, who could have guessed?).

I am sure there is a loop-to-loop coming up here shortly on this ride, though!

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Newegg was already on the ropes for a while in my book, but I think I'm 100% done with them forever now.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

What else do you do with your time while microwaving your iphone to charge?

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

What else do you do with your time while microwaving your iphone to charge?

Fill up the tub so I can get my case ready for some water cooling

• NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Bullhead wrote: »
    Speaking of 6800's, I've been window shopping for parts for a 2004 era Win2K box. The sort of machine I built with my internship money back when Doom 3 was coming out. Man, the Geforce 6800 was a hell of a card. I eventually destroyed mine overclocking it too hard.

2004 is a weird time to target, because you have both AGP and PCI-E, and on the Athlon 64 side you have Socket 754 and Socket 939. I think at the time I had a Socket 754 build, so that's probably what I'll go with again, despite the platform being more of a dead end in 2004 than 939 was.

It's also funny because Geforce 6800's are most plentiful in AGP, but then you go up a year and 7800's are most plentiful in PCI-E. With prices to match. Goes from $50 on ebay to $100+.

It's especially funny that not a single complete system with an Athlon 64 is on ebay. I got all sorts of complete systems junking up my ebay searches when I was looking for old Pentium 233 MMX platforms. Really reminds you how badly Intel ratfucked AMD back when they arguably had the best chips in the early 00's.

If you're looking for a good AGP card, there's decent chance I still have a retired Geforce 7800GS AGP card sitting in a box around here somewhere. I'll take a look this weekend and if I do, it's yours if you want it.

That card was my last desperate attempt to get playable framerates in Oblivion with all the eyecandy before I could afford to upgrade to that there newfangled PCI-eeeee stuff. :lol:

[img][/img]CL03vWx.jpg

*Edit* I also have other hardware from various generations if interested. I've been procrastinating putting them on ebay.

Super kind of you. Pixelated Pixie was kind enough to offer up a card already, and I'd hate to be greedy.

Picked up a used case + SATA DVD drive local today for $25. I already have a spare 100 GB SATA SSD. Now I'm staring at an ebay shopping card with a ASUS K8V Deluxe mobo packaged with an Athlon 64 3200+, 1 GB of DDR400 ram, a cooler, and an Audigy 2 ZS, all for about $110 shipped. Throw in a PSU and baby, you've got a stew going.

I mean a computer. Not a stew. A computer.

Bullhead wrote: »

[img][/img]CL03vWx.jpg

Super kind of you. Pixelated Pixie was kind enough to offer up a card already, and I'd hate to be greedy.

Picked up a used case + SATA DVD drive local today for $25. I already have a spare 100 GB SATA SSD. Now I'm staring at an ebay shopping card with a ASUS K8V Deluxe mobo packaged with an Athlon 64 3200+, 1 GB of DDR400 ram, a cooler, and an Audigy 2 ZS, all for about $110 shipped. Throw in a PSU and baby, you've got a stew going.

I mean a computer. Not a stew. A computer.

Oh, well in that case, I have (again free with shipping)
    1. AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (includes stock cooler)
      D7reTg5.jpg
    2. DFI Lanparty DF4 Ultra-D (shows the stock cooler and the AMD In it)
      vpea3lz.jpg
    3. OCZ PC400 2x1GB
      JaiJQ9q.jpg
    4. Abit IP35Pro
      hW8E46b.jpg
    5. Intel Q6600 (no cooler)
      ZoBIbGp.jpg
    6. OCZ PC2 6400 2x2GB
      jGPksTy.jpg
    7. SB Audigy ZS Platinum
      fHAQhZF.jpg

Note - offer valid to any member, Namrok has first dibs though :P

96058.png?1619393207
    @Bullhead That's incredibly generous of you. I hate to turn down parts, but my current plan is for an AGP based system. That being said, I will gladly accept the OCZ PC400 2x1GB and the SB Audigy ZS Platinum. Jeeze, do you even have the gameport bracket? I was expecting to have to make my own with an ebayed card.

I'll be DMing you shortly. You rock.

• sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Bullhead get out of my house. I had that Abit mobo as well. We also have the same keyboard.

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    emi65q9vu6jd.png

Does... does it make coffee too?

Orca wrote: »
    emi65q9vu6jd.png
    4c1.gif

96058.png?1619393207
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    At least it's got plenty of useful USB ports.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Something to bear in mind when watch reviews of the Ampere cards:

Hardware Unboxed
    9 hours ago
    Nvidia have officially decided to ban us from receiving GeForce Founders Edition GPU review samples
    . Their reasoning is that we are focusing on rasterization instead of ray tracing.

They have said they will revisit this "should your editorial direction change".
    More to come

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiShcFHPBMo

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Was wondering if you guys could help me figure out what I need to improve to get sixty fps in CP out of my desktop. Running into some surprisingly low performance in Cyberpunk.

I play at 1600X900 resolution with a RX 580 8gb, 16gb RAM, AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor and good NVME SSD but lowering /turning off settings (been reading optimization guides) doesn't really seem to be stopping it from dipping into the 20-45 range often.

Does it look like I need an upgrade to get 60 FPS consistency out of it? Just bought this GPU less than six months ago but if I got to buy a new one to brute force 60 frames out of this thing on medium/high, I'll do it if I have to.

Is it the CPU?

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Was wondering if you guys could help me figure out what I need to improve to get sixty fps in CP out of my desktop. Running into some surprisingly low performance in Cyberpunk.

I play at 1600X900 resolution with a RX 580 8gb, 16gb RAM, AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor and good NVME SSD but lowering /turning off settings (been reading optimization guides) doesn't really seem to be stopping it from dipping into the 20-45 range often.

Does it look like I need an upgrade to get 60 FPS consistency out of it? Just bought this GPU less than six months ago but if I got to buy a new one to brute force 60 frames out of this thing on medium/high, I'll do it if I have to.

Is it the CPU?

I would suspect that the GPU would be holding you back instead of your CPU. With that said, can you check CPU utilization while your running the game?

You may have other things that you can tune to increase performance. AMD Ryzen CPUs love fast memory, so checking and tuning your memory speed/timings might help you squeeze some extra performance out of your system, for example.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA

Is it the CPU?

I think it's both but mostly the GPU. A cursory glance through reddit shows 580s are running the game at low to medium at 1080p to get even close to 60fps, and those are with Ryzen 3xxx CPUs. Granted you're running a lower res, but I think hoping for 60fps and high settings on a 580 may be a bit much.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    edited December 2020
    V1m wrote: »
    Something to bear in mind when watch reviews of the Ampere cards:

Hardware Unboxed
    9 hours ago
    Nvidia have officially decided to ban us from receiving GeForce Founders Edition GPU review samples
    . Their reasoning is that we are focusing on rasterization instead of ray tracing.

They have said they will revisit this "should your editorial direction change".
    More to come

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiShcFHPBMo

I mean, yeah

They're doing the equivalent of neutering electric cars acceleration to similar price point gas engines because it's "unfair" to review what they can actually do.

Sucks to suck but I'm not watching your channel for your hot take on the GPU fanboy war, I want to know how the game will actually run.

jungleroomx on
    I mean GN released a video review yesterday of CP2077 performance across all the cards, RTX on and off, and frankly most of the review was with RTX off, so it raises some questions of just how much HUB ignores RTX performance.

Looking at HUB's CP2077 performance review, at a glance it doesn't look like they benchmarked RTX performance at all. I'm just going off of the jumps in the video, please correct me if I'm wrong.

edited December 2020
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I mean GN released a video review yesterday of CP2077 performance across all the cards, RTX on and off, and frankly most of the review was with RTX off, so it raises some questions of just how much HUB ignores RTX performance.

Looking at HUB's CP2077 performance review, at a glance it doesn't look like they benchmarked RTX performance at all. I'm just going off of the jumps in the video, please correct me if I'm wrong.

This is correct, they don't do RT or DLSS often/at all because it's not "equal" with AMD

I think it's fairly reasonable for a company that's providing them with thousands of dollars of hardware for free to ask they actually benchmark what the hardware was built for.

jungleroomx on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

This is correct, they don't do RT or DLSS often/at all because it's not "equal" with AMD

I think it's fairly reasonable for a company that's providing them with thousands of dollars of hardware for free to ask they actually benchmark what the hardware was built for.

Well that's extremely stupid, these are real features that exist and which people use, they can't just be ignored to achieve some kind of fake parity.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    honestly, with having to turn off RTX in Cyberpunk to get anything approaching a reasonable framerate in firefights, reviews of the GPUs without it turned on are super helpful

but don't not review it entirely, that's silly

Well that's extremely stupid, these are real features that exist and which people use, they can't just be ignored to achieve some kind of fake parity.

HUB seems to think so.

I stopped watching them a little bit ago because they started whining about their viewers wanting to at least SEE DLSS 2.0 numbers, and dude steadfastly refused. Which is nuts because it's a hardware feature!

They don't do AMD's direct access memory either!

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited December 2020

Is it the CPU?

I think it's both but mostly the GPU. A cursory glance through reddit shows 580s are running the game at low to medium at 1080p to get even close to 60fps, and those are with Ryzen 3xxx CPUs. Granted you're running a lower res, but I think hoping for 60fps and high settings on a 580 may be a bit much.

Is it the CPU?

I see.

Is there a GPU under or at 300 bucks you guys would reccomend thatll run it at my settings no problem?

Should probably get something that will last me a few years of this gen atleast.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Having a "parity comparison" test and numbers is fine, as an added slide. Not as the main metric or story, and definitely not the only fucking measure. Wat.

OrokosPA.png
    Infidel wrote: »
    Having a "parity comparison" test and numbers is fine, as an added slide. Not as the main metric or story, and definitely not the only fucking measure. Wat.

HUB is a poor channel for making actual decisions on purchasing a product.

But its charts are amazing for "point-scoring" for fanboys on Reddit

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

HUB seems to think so.

I stopped watching them a little bit ago because they started whining about their viewers wanting to at least SEE DLSS 2.0 numbers, and dude steadfastly refused. Which is nuts because it's a hardware feature!

whyyyyyyy

Is it the CPU?

Is it the CPU?

I see.

Is there a GPU under or at 300 bucks you guys would reccomend thatll run it at my settings no problem?

Should probably get something that will last me a few years of this gen atleast.

Man, that's a rough question. The one you can get honestly.

My local Microcenter lists no RTX 2000 or 3000 series cards in stock, or GTX 1600 series, or even GTX 1000 series! In fact, it looks like the best card they have is 2019's RX 5700 XT for $400. Looks like Newegg isn't any better.

Even used last gen cards are reselling for MSRP still, the supply is so constrained. Every RTX 2070 Super near me is selling for $500 used. With a brand spanking new RTX 3060 TI selling for $400 and handily beating it's performance, you'd think people would price their used cards appropriately. But supply is that constrained.

It's basically the worst time ever to be in the market for a GPU. I've never seen so few current gen, or last gen, cards on the market.

HUB seems to think so.

whyyyyyyy

Refusal to move on from raster-only benchmarks, which are starting down the same path single-core CPU performance metrics have gone.

HUB seems to think so.

whyyyyyyy

Refusal to move on from raster-only benchmarks, which are starting down the same path single-core CPU performance metrics have gone.

It's the children who are yadda yadda

HUB seems to think so.

whyyyyyyy

It's the children who are yadda yadda

I also see a lot of people in the comments who still think raytracing/pathing is a gimmick and not the eventual replacement of current lighting systems.

This discussion has been closed.