As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Can't stop the [PHOTO]

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    It's worth remembering that because of how optics works, the smaller the sensor you're using, the more depth of field you get. This is not necessarily what you want for portraits, but for macro it can be pretty useful.

The tiny clip-on phone macro lenses give an awful lot of magnification, _and_ have small sensors, so are a surprisingly good option as long as you can get the phone + lens up to the thing you're taking a photo of. For a bit more control, I had an Nikon Coolpix 4500 which had a small sensor _and_ optics that let you focus in close, which made for a great combination for taking pictures up close with a reasonable amount of depth of field:

rIlLt4D.jpg
    l3dQOvw.jpg
    Zk3mVRK.jpg
    s3lyGzF.jpg

or on a less floral note:

o2VLeWt.jpg

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    50435362422_143422212c_c.jpg
    milky way by jeremy o., on Flickr

50435193971_21422e5bab_c.jpg
    spilling up by jeremy o., on Flickr

50435193781_6a9a5fe016_c.jpg
    stars' transit by jeremy o., on Flickr

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    I've got space pics too!

2yuvt4j0rhc5.jpg

2fncjjr928a2.jpg

No...wait, wrong thread.

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I went for a walk yesterday and tried to capture some of the colors.

vy4YATa.jpg
    cE9dmWZ.jpg

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    One more spooky photo from the wildfire smoke a few weeks back.

50462500941_4334aafc1c_c.jpg

Sublimus on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Dang @bsjezz absolutely love those astrophotos. That last one is especially beautiful.

@WeX Majors Honestly I think it would be fine to some extent to post photos from in games. I've taken a lot over the years and never done anything with them, there's a few street photographers who took to the streets of spiderman and red dead during the pandemic though. You can really get creative in game photography nowadays, I know there's a photographer that has specifically made his career out of taking photos ingame since vanilla WoW times.

Those smoke pics are mind boggling @Sublimus

Another from this trip, I got overwhelmed at the amount of photos I took and had to take a break from them for a minute.
    50504192162_197da55f0c_b.jpgHeart Eyes by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    The colors and clarity are incredible. Is this handheld or on a tripod? Did you do any kind of processing?

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Couple photos taken recently, after we have finally went out in downtown Austin (digital), and had some fam over (film, Canonet):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152494062@N02/albums/72157716440851888

And yeah, it's heavy on shots of my kiddo.

50484826623_028450a62a_c.jpg14-10-20_Austin_12 by Kenneth Hughes, on Flickr

50485685307_01b5979808_c.jpg04-10-20_Austin_8 by Kenneth Hughes, on Flickr

50504361046_c2fa61333c_c.jpg000115280016 by Kenneth Hughes, on Flickr

edited October 2020
    @oldmanken beautiful shots, really love the Canonets.

@godmode Shot handheld - I shoot mostly handheld unless doing real estate photos or astrophotography. The photo is edited, however, I don't edit my landscape photos much besides some levels, maybe some curves (split toning now and again) on top of FUJI's film simulations. Now that I type it out, it may actually be considered a lot of editing? But I consider stuff like this pretty quick, only takes me a few minutes to dial in. This is all my edits below:
    hbkqshpxu38t.jpg

Prospicience on
    Having purposefully stayed away from most vidjagames this generation because I'm the type of person who'll just spend a bazillion hours at a time in front of the screen, the thing I now regret is missing out on incredibly detailed and intricate modes dedicated exclusively for taking photos.

I've always been the type to want to stop and admire the handiwork a team of artists put into making the map but prior to I'd say, the last 5 years you'd basically just be able rotate the camera around and hit a button.Plus, ya know, those pixels
    1jaooo75ub9y.jpg

So to be able to go from that to a game that has DoF controls and let's you just Click where you want the sun(s) to be, well that's pretty darn neat. So here's a few.

tgr37wghyuf6.jpg

2mhf9vf855d7.jpg

eb2cxfk9gyab.jpg

edited October 2020
    I done gone and bought a new camera (it arrived just over a month ago) and I've been trying to get better with it. Going through my Lightroom catalog though, despite it swelling tremendously thanks to my new ability to do tons of burst shots, I still can't get over the fact so many photos strike me a "vacation snaps" and I don't feel like a whole lot of it is interesting. I'm hoping to capture some more stuff soon - got a trip up to the mountains this weekend, in fact.
    In the meantime, please accept these humble offerings:

50513165077_e57f15a66c_b.jpg
    Minatomirai
    In the original, the ferris wheel didn't pop as much as I wanted it to, so I toyed around with the radial gradient a bit, in addition to a couple clipped spots. Does it look unnatural?

50512289568_05b4e16221_b.jpg
    Atami
    Trying out some previous waterfall photo advice on this nice stream in a park my wife and I visited a couple weeks ago

godmode on
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    oldmanken beautiful shots, really love the Canonets.

godmode Shot handheld - I shoot mostly handheld unless doing real estate photos or astrophotography. The photo is edited, however, I don't edit my landscape photos much besides some levels, maybe some curves (split toning now and again) on top of FUJI's film simulations. Now that I type it out, it may actually be considered a lot of editing? But I consider stuff like this pretty quick, only takes me a few minutes to dial in. This is all my edits below:
    hbkqshpxu38t.jpg

I'd consider that the basics certainly. It's one or two steps up from jpeg mode/using the raws directly out of the camera. That's not an insult--it's a testament to getting it right in-camera rather than in-post.

edit: sorry about the batsignals!

Orca on
    Yo those shots are pretty fun. Don't worry about the wheel, you've got this ride in the middle of downtown with colors designed to make it stand out, it SHOULD look a bit different than the rest of the picture. Also I love that you managed to get the wheel coloring the water below it. Very good.

I'm not even gonna bother sharing the few shots I've taken of a wheel cause THOSE are some vacation-ass vacation photos. Ugh.

• bombardierbombardier Moderator mod

@godmode Shot handheld - I shoot mostly handheld unless doing real estate photos or astrophotography. The photo is edited, however, I don't edit my landscape photos much besides some levels, maybe some curves (split toning now and again) on top of FUJI's film simulations. Now that I type it out, it may actually be considered a lot of editing? But I consider stuff like this pretty quick, only takes me a few minutes to dial in. This is all my edits below:
    hbkqshpxu38t.jpg

Has lightroom not changed in 10 years or are you using a really old version?

bombardier wrote: »

hbkqshpxu38t.jpg

Has lightroom not changed in 10 years or are you using a really old version?

Hey whoa now, it's changed a little bit - they added dehaze to the basic adjustments menu about a year or two ago >.<
    It's the newest version btw. The most recent thing they added was a color grading menu, which is a much more straight forward version of tone curves and split toning. More or less it's stayed the same with tiny adjustments here and there, also - still an absolute hog on your system.

• bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    Haha I'm kind of glad it hasn't changed much. I really like it. I used it pretty fine on a 2007 Macbook Pro for a long time.

Yeah I trash talk it a bit, but I use the hell out of Lightroom. I still love the simplicity.

Couple doggos and more from my backpacking trip.

50515074716_87e4f0f612_b.jpgDoggos by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

50515235967_48586f9942_b.jpgDoggos by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

50525756823_69c8e7b660_b.jpgSquishy Boots by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

50526484836_065836d06b_b.jpgAlignment #2080 by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

50525756788_c53a372821_b.jpgYellow Spot by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

edited October 2020
    So, I went and bought a used Fuji 80mm macro lens...

50535398233_3f81cd4fe4_c.jpg

50536275302_325a3fae34_c.jpg

50536275287_298aa94d0d_c.jpg

50535398208_c52ffa77a0_c.jpg

oldmanken on
    The picture not loading is pretty perfect actually. I'm glad I could inspire a mini-trend lol.

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    I haven't been around in foooorever and I'm just catching up on the thread. This all looks amazing, guys.
    I really haven't gotten the camera out since COVID began so nothing to contribute from over here.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    Hey, they loaded! You did a pretty bang up job there sir!

My contributions are still on the...WEIRD side.
    h252bd2mxw9y.jpg

edited November 2020
    What do y'all use for stitching together time lapses that isn't under the Adobe umbrella? So far everything I've tried has at best been not what I'm looking for and at worst completely nonfunctional.

I literally just set my laptop build environment up so I can make my own time lapse creation software (with hookers! and blackjack!) because what's out there is utter garbage. But I'd like to not spend the effort to do it if I don't have to.

What I'm looking for should be easy:
    * Select some sequence of images (not the entire fucking directory! Goddammit!)
    * Output to a variety of codecs and containers, including h.264 and mp4 with configurable bitrates and quality settings
    * Arbitrarily resize
    * Arbitrarily crop
    * Set the output frame rate
    * Set the output video length

Nice to have:
    * Rotate all images the same amount (so I can level my photos in the time lapse software instead of in my image editor)
    * Exposure smoothing
    * edit: support for tif images as well as jpg (some of them have only support jpg which just...what?)

A little help?!

edit: this would be on Windows 10.

Orca on
    edited November 2020
    Here's a mish-mash of some stuff from the past few weeks: went to the mountains, took some Halloween Full Moon pictures, been playing around with the color tools in Lightroom, etc.

50577769701_fe73a51b1f_b.jpg
    Autumn in Nikko

50577951182_561c0bdef0_b.jpg
    Down the Mountain

50577058073_73176179a4_b.jpg
    Fall Bridge

50576973193_8081d6ecc5_b.jpg
    Downtown

50576965058_3ab5b9d6cf_b.jpg
    Halloween

50576921958_8ac0e1ec14_b.jpg
    Miraie

godmode on
  • BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    How the heck did I forget there was a photo thread?! Haven't been here in a loooooong time. I offer, a Heron! Wish I had it composed so he's flying into the shot instead of out of but happened so quick.

50582100752_f689b03fae_c.jpg

• QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Was just wandering round the garden with my camera taking some photos of spiders and this guy landed next to me - he stayed long enough for me to get a reasonable shot too.
    Not the greatest picture I know but I was quite happy with it, especially given it was very opportunistic!

41r0tsmwa4td.jpg

steam_sig.png
    I've got PLENTY of those shots, and I'm sure I had more before I deleted them, where the thing that's actually in focus is the Leaf and that's okay! Live Macro has no other option than to be far more misses than hits.
    But then you get That One Hit and you feel like Picasso :)

So, we just tried to do an outdoor shoot with our toddler, and it did not go well. It was in the woods, sun was low, so she ended up squinting through much of it (when she was not licking rocks and making a sour face). Then she managed to sit in a cactus! (She’s fine.)

I am maybe not good at these planned shoots, but I think we’re going to try it again either in the morning or mid day, where the light is a little less in her face.

Get a reflector and have her face away from the sun. I did this with available light and one of those reflective windshield sun protector things:

4029529342_fe87be7fcc_c.jpg

Yeah, I just ordered one from my local camera store. I may take the fake skeleton I have from Halloween out to the woods to do a test shoot once I get it. :)

Please do an entire Beautyshoot with the 12 foot skeleton.

WeX Majors wrote: »
    Please do an entire Beautyshoot with the 12 foot skeleton.

Yes! We need to see this.

Speaking of Big Tall Boys
    772q27cvu8x9.jpg

1y66fw2ehd5f.jpg

• Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Well I think I finally got a non-cell phone camera (not considering it done until it arrives), after way too much futzing around. Researching cameras, looking on websites for used ones (was thinking Sony A6000 first), realizing the entire site Offer Up is a scam, then going back to research again based on actually available prices. Some no responses from craigslist ads, more reading, and finally found a decent deal on Mercari. $367 for a D5300 with the kit AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 and a TAMRON AF 40-300mm. My sister has a few 50mm 1:1.8 lenses, so with one of those to round it out I should be set for a long time! I was into film stuff years ago but have just been using my cell phone for a long time now. My big motivation was portraits (recently had a kid) and surf photos, but I'm also looking forward to birds, landscape, and macro shots in the garden. I'm really excited!

As an offering to the thread (a lot of beautiful photos in here!), a recent shot with the cell phone
    ly0y7ktuwwgl.jpg

I have gone back and done some editing on some of the photos I took when I stopped over in Busan and Seoul in 2018, on my way to Saipan. The album link is as follows, https://flic.kr/s/aHsmSFDkSK .

I wanted to convert them to black and white, since I think it handles my bias towards contrast better than color. I don’t love all of them, as the landscape shots in particular have blown highlights, but some of the street shots really appeal to me.

And I just love Seoul tower at night:

50700908042_0348cb3241_c.jpg09-12-20_Seoul1018-BW_1 by Kenneth Hughes, on Flickr

Nice! I now wish I had been into photography back when I went to Japan and Korea for work...

• Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    I really like several of those. The shot through the doorway of a woman in a dress made me wonder what getting that picture was like. Were you just walking by and serendipitously discovered it? The big block of heat pumps made me think too, I guess it beats everyone having the noise pollution near often used windows. But what's behind them, everybody's bathroom or laundry room or something? Thanks for sharing the album.

Red Raevyn wrote: »
    I really like several of those. The shot through the doorway of a woman in a dress made me wonder what getting that picture was like. Were you just walking by and serendipitously discovered it? The big block of heat pumps made me think too, I guess it beats everyone having the noise pollution near often used windows. But what's behind them, everybody's bathroom or laundry room or something? Thanks for sharing the album.

So, the one of the woman in a dress was totally random. I opted to go for a walk around Changdeokgung Palace, and there were quite a few people walking around and a few in hanbok. That just happened to be a lucky shot, and admittedly I did have to crop down, since I got a whole bunch more of the scene around it, because even at 55mm I was quite a ways away from it.

I love the heat pump/air con shot, as it just perfectly encapsulates some of the messiness of the side roads and alleys in Seoul. Reminds me a lot of the back of the building I used to work in, when I lived in Seoul/Anyang. I also have a similar shot from when I went to Tokyo, but I don't think it quite works as well.

Orca wrote: »
    Nice! I now wish I had been into photography back when I went to Japan and Korea for work...

Being in Korea with a point and shoot camera about 13 years ago is ultimately what made me want to get back into photography and take photos for a living. My first photos on flickr are actually from that trip.

@oldmanken those photos give me a wonderful nostalgia for Korea. Love most of your city shots there as well as the ones that Red mentioned. The photo of all AC units all on the side of the building and many of your river shots/compositions are great. Thanks for sharing.

As a fun side note, the photo of the bridge in Busan took me back memory lane. I didn't spend any time there except my first night, and it was dark when I landed. After arriving my hosts took me to eat dinner at a restaurant overlooking that bridge and the bay. Still one of my best memories (of many) from that trip.

Orca wrote: »

Being in Korea with a point and shoot camera about 13 years ago is ultimately what made me want to get back into photography and take photos for a living. My first photos on flickr are actually from that trip.

@oldmanken those photos give me a wonderful nostalgia for Korea. Love most of your city shots there as well as the ones that Red mentioned. The photo of all AC units all on the side of the building and many of your river shots/compositions are great. Thanks for sharing.

As a fun side note, the photo of the bridge in Busan took me back memory lane. I didn't spend any time there except my first night, and it was dark when I landed. After arriving my hosts took me to eat dinner at a restaurant overlooking that bridge and the bay. Still one of my best memories (of many) from that trip.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I feel like the river shots capture the hazy humid quality of light, and while they were over exposed, I think it works.

So, I spent my second teaching contract in Busan, and loved it. We would often end up down a Gwanagli beach, looking out at the bridge from various bars on the weekends. It’s amazing when it is lit up at night.

• SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    Red Raevyn wrote: »
    a D5300 with the kit AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm

Basically my first DSLR set up too! Excited to see your shots!

Not much from me. My shooting was WAY down this year (understandably). As a result, I feel like my shot selection is more just settling for SOMETHING rather than feeling really great about a shot.

So here are three ok shots (two from my new camera! Nikon Z6II).

50748413061_41df068a7d_c.jpg

50773696051_5f2f084ce1_c.jpg

50773810892_951947bc3a_c.jpg