As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy 14! Shadowbringers! The best expansion to an MMO ever!

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    re: Holidays in XIV. Personally I appreciate that they're simple. Too many games have seasonal events that are long and have rewards that are game changing; which leaves you with a choice of missing out on something potentially powerful, or likely spending an inordinate amount of time in the game to not miss out.

I like that I can just keep playing XIV how I want, or not at all if I don't want, knock out the rewards quickly; and if I am actively playing, enjoy the decorations and music that make the same old areas feel a bit fresh for a bit. And particularly during holidays, feeling pressure to play whatever game, and not do other things with family or whatever, I don't enjoy.

It helps that I <3 the Starlight Festival music, though. It's so relaxing and peaceful. Sometimes I listen to it just because.

Unrelated, question for folks who gather more than me.

Trying to maximize the 5.4 nodes. I'm less concerned with getting HQ than I am pure numbers. If I'm looking to maximize numbers, and because I don't think the amount of Perception required to get +3 on the new nodes is possible to achieve in the game right now am I doing it right with just using Kings Yield/Blessed Harvest II (since all the nodes have minimum 5 hits) out of the gate, and then Bountiful Harvest/Yield II with the remainder of my GP, each hit (theoretically saving them for the latter hits if it's a +1/2 hit node)? EDIT: To be clear, I will take the HQ's I get, I just would rather get number than all HQ, otherwise I'd probably use Pick Clean, assuming it stacks with KY/BH II.

EDIT2: actually two questions; does anyone know if you combine lists on Teamcraft, does it leave a copy of the original lists you combine? Or is there a way to copy a list? I have checked everywhere I can think of and can't seem to find an option to do so.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Oh, and I just found out that retainers can find the 490 Crystarium gear from Quick Ventures now.

So, that's interesting!

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Minimal effort for a new mount sounds like a win to me. I'm almost 41 years old. I want to eliminate as much grinding as possible when I play a MMO. Time is the most valuable resource I have, and I appreciate XIV for not wasting it.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    One thing I really hope for in the future is some kind of 'where is this item obtained?' feature, that tells you the location/method a particular item is obtained.

Very often I find a someone else using a particular glamour item or something, and I want to know whether it's crafted, or drops off of a dungeon or from the game shop or something like that.

Having that in game would be great, I agree.

https://www.garlandtools.org/ is the best resource for this, unless/until it would ever be something available in game.

I'd also love something when you inspect someone that tells you what that silly mount is they're riding. Yes there are multiple mount websites but there's a lot of digging to ferret out what the one was I saw in game.

• FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Thought I was almost done with ARR post credit story quests. Turns out there's a mandandory sidequestline and now I have to wait in queue for a 24 man raid before i can move on with the story, 24!!!!
    Bad design imho. Those massive parties should be optional content. Forcing ppl to wait in long queues to gather up a huge group is such smart! wow!!

Edit: and gotta make sure I'm keeping an eye on the game at all times, can't go do anything else in the mean time outside the game because if I don't see the pop up and react within less than a minute well fuck you and get a penality. amazing design.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Thought I was almost done with ARR post credit story quests. Turns out there's a mandandory sidequestline and now I have to wait in queue for a 24 man raid before i can move on with the story, 24!!!!
    Bad design imho. Those massive parties should be optional content. Forcing ppl to wait in long queues to gather up a huge group is such smart! wow!!

It originally was optional, but was made mandatory not too long ago. The upside is that players of all levels queue into a grab bag of 24-man content, which includes the Raid series you're going through now.

The queue is probably quickest in the afternoon/evening.

Also, I did say Raid series. There are 3 raids in total for this questline you're in. So buckle up! But it should be relatively quick. Most people you'll be playing with have likely done this a lot already. Whether they know what they're doing or not is another question though...

Yeah managed to get in a queue relatively quickly after missing one popup again...
    I would be less annoyed if at the very least they would light up the game icon in my taskbar when I get a popup for a ready duty. Other applications and games do this all the time.

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »

It originally was optional, but was made mandatory not too long ago. The upside is that players of all levels queue into a grab bag of 24-man content, which includes the Raid series you're going through now.

The queue is probably quickest in the afternoon/evening.

Also, I did say Raid series. There are 3 raids in total for this questline you're in. So buckle up! But it should be relatively quick. Most people you'll be playing with have likely done this a lot already. Whether they know what they're doing or not is another question though...

Look, no one knows how Glasya Labolas is supposed to work, we just do the pew pew and move on.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Yeah managed to get in a queue relatively quickly after missing one popup again...
    I would be less annoyed if at the very least they would light up the game icon in my taskbar when I get a popup for a ready duty. Other applications and games do this all the time.

There's an option to leave in game sound active if something pops up, so if you're alt-tabbed waiting in queue you'll want to turn it on.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

One of the benfits to PS4/controller usage, they vibrate when queues pop. Also when fish bite the line.

steam_sig.png
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular

Just set it up so the only sounds that play when tabbed are system sounds and you'll hear queue pops/tells/etc.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    There are story reasons why you need to do that raid series that come up later
    in Shadowbringers

Cormac wrote: »

There's an option to leave in game sound active if something pops up, so if you're alt-tabbed waiting in queue you'll want to turn it on.

Oh that would help a lot. I'll look into that, thanks!

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular

Oh that would help a lot. I'll look into that, thanks!

Yeah, it's under System Configuration > Sound Tab and then there are a bunch of boxes right at the top. You can even choose which types of sound will play when you are tabbed out, so I disable everything except for system messages so that I can hear when an alarm or queue pops without having the BGM playing over whatever I'm doing.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    When I was first doing those raids I found myself working on the Hunting Log and my crafting jobs while waiting for them to pop up. And I continue to do the Alliance Raid Roulette daily because the experience reward is nice and it also provides me with Poetics that are used to buy gear at 50 and 60. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a vendor at 70 that will accept them as well but I haven't gotten into that expansion yet even though I have two jobs over 70.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Housing seems like one of those cool/interesting parts of the game that new players are locked out of for the most part.

I understand the aesthetic of having the estate plots be limited in number/quantity, but the limitation on apartments is kind of silly.

Working on an FCs plot isn’t the same as having your own space to manage and maintain.

It's not aesthetic, it's overhead. Beyond having housing zones be designed with obvious limitations, it requires hardware to increase the amounts of plots, or at least more optimized code and possibly tradeoffs elsewhere. I imagine there's a hefty cost/benefit thing to it too. Even if more players on a server want houses, than there are houses available, the amount of players who want, or even use, housing, is still a small segment of the playerbase, so any costs of expanding capacity has to be countered by the potential income from the players for whom housing is a determining factor in whether or not they keep a sub, buy expansions, or use the mogstation. I dunno, from what I can tell, it seems like if it were up to the dev team, they'd love to let anyone who wanted a house have one, but it's not a simple thing. I don't believe they're intentionally limiting them for supply/demand reasons; virtually nothing in this MMO is designed around such factors, so I don't see any reason that housing would be the thing. It's an unusually friendly MMO in that regard, where the amount of things that are actually limited are a tiny tiny fraction of the games content.

You can get an apartment outside of a FC house, but afaik it is identical to the FC one, you just enter via the main building in a housing zone. It doesn't really address the problem with housing limitation, but it's an option for players who aren't in a FC and still want something. You can get to a stable, but no gardening or anything like that.

I wish the outdoor furnishing limits weren't so absurdly low. 20 for a cottage barely lets you decorate the relatively small yard. How much larger the yards are in medium/large plots makes the increase to only 30/40 seem really silly. I get that there's memory limitations particularly in the outdoor areas, but it still feels exceptionally low.

I'm currently debating saving up to buy a medium or large plot whenever Ishgard goes live. Even if I can't manage to get an Ishgard plot, there's bound to be decent plots that open up in other zones when people relocate.

supposedly it's half aesthetic and half overhead, and the aesthetic half is because having housing be limited and hard to obtain was the aesthetic they stupidly thought would be best originally in 2.0, and are now locked into because of the way they designed the system on the tech side, supposedly. Not sure if it's actually that they can't unspaghettify their housing system code or just that it would be too much work.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

interesting side note this has seemingly stopped working for me in the last few weeks, for some reason. I think I double and triple checked it was still toggled on but I should see if turning it off and on again fixes it.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Instead of doing a quick google I’m going to be lazy and ask here; For the soft-token (vs buying one of the keychain tokens), is it a FFXIV only app or do they let you use a common app like Authy?

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Instead of doing a quick google I’m going to be lazy and ask here; For the soft-token (vs buying one of the keychain tokens), is it a FFXIV only app or do they let you use a common app like Authy?

FF14 only.

steam_sig.png
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

FFXIV only.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    re: Holidays in XIV. Personally I appreciate that they're simple. Too many games have seasonal events that are long and have rewards that are game changing; which leaves you with a choice of missing out on something potentially powerful, or likely spending an inordinate amount of time in the game to not miss out.

I like that I can just keep playing XIV how I want, or not at all if I don't want, knock out the rewards quickly; and if I am actively playing, enjoy the decorations and music that make the same old areas feel a bit fresh for a bit. And particularly during holidays, feeling pressure to play whatever game, and not do other things with family or whatever, I don't enjoy.

It helps that I <3 the Starlight Festival music, though. It's so relaxing and peaceful. Sometimes I listen to it just because.

Unrelated, question for folks who gather more than me.

Trying to maximize the 5.4 nodes. I'm less concerned with getting HQ than I am pure numbers. If I'm looking to maximize numbers, and because I don't think the amount of Perception required to get +3 on the new nodes is possible to achieve in the game right now am I doing it right with just using Kings Yield/Blessed Harvest II (since all the nodes have minimum 5 hits) out of the gate, and then Bountiful Harvest/Yield II with the remainder of my GP, each hit (theoretically saving them for the latter hits if it's a +1/2 hit node)? EDIT: To be clear, I will take the HQ's I get, I just would rather get number than all HQ, otherwise I'd probably use Pick Clean, assuming it stacks with KY/BH II.

EDIT2: actually two questions; does anyone know if you combine lists on Teamcraft, does it leave a copy of the original lists you combine? Or is there a way to copy a list? I have checked everywhere I can think of and can't seem to find an option to do so.

Oh nice. I love the music in FFXIV, so now I'm looking forward to hearing the starlight festival music. The way you described it reminds me of the music in Gridania; just super calming.

Steam: offday
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    You could look up the music online, but if you haven't done Starlight Festival before, probably better to just wait until Monday and stroll through town then.

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Castrum Lacus Litore being mandatory for the Bozja story is a huge pain now that noone does it any more. Tried to get a group all day and just got sub 20 people instances.

Not sure how to find an instance with people that actually want to do it.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Poor rewards and no control over when you can run it is a perfect storm of bad design.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's frustrating. I'm up to rank 8, but hadn't touched Bozja in a couple weeks. It's a ghost town now, and impossible to do anything in. They need to incentivize it.

Maybe give it a week? Everyone's likely doing all the new stuff right now.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yah, while Bozja might be dead in general everything but patch content is going to be dead the week a patch comes out.

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    There is a quite a lot of people in Bozja in general on my server at least. It's just that people aren't doing castrum.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Yeah, my experience has been that Bozja is hopping but nobody wants to queue for castrum so all the first-timers are stuck.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    I have quests telling me to use duty finder to do a couple of the ARR Extremes. Is there a Roulette that sends people into Extremes? Will it pull from the general Trial Roulette? Or do I have to wait for people to sign up for that specific Trial?

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Seg wrote: »
    I have quests telling me to use duty finder to do a couple of the ARR Extremes. Is there a Roulette that sends people into Extremes? Will it pull from the general Trial Roulette? Or do I have to wait for people to sign up for that specific Trial?

Only roulette that includes extreme trials is the Mentor Roulette, and I don't think that's hugely populated most times. Extreme fights do not pull from general trial roulette. Getting a queue pop would require a mix of people queueing for Mentor Roulette and that specific Trial, you're correct.

Though the quest series you're on, with the extremem trials, is not required for msq progress. So leaving it for now (the arr trials are mostly all soloable at 80, I believe) or slowly working on it in spare time won't hurt any progress through the expansions.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
    Seg wrote: »

Not sure if you're new-ish, but it helped me when someone told me this:

You don't have to just queue up for Extremes (or for anything) the same way you queue for roulettes or new dungeons.

You can ask in FC chat, or create a party finder listing to recruit people, or just check party finder randomly to see if anyone is trying to put a party together.

However you want to gather the folks and complete the duty will work.

Though as destroyah87 said, if you can wait, the easiest way to do it is to outlevel the content (80 for sure) and then solo it unsynched.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    For ARR extremes I would just find an unsynced group in party finder. People run them for Wondrous Tails.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    you need to do the Hard versions of them for msq but not the Extremes

I would save those quests for later

you need to do the Hard versions of them for msq but not the Extremes

I would save those quests for later

Oh, right. For Hard I'd ask in FC. Either way an 80 can solo them (with the notable exception of Titan Hard possibly?)

I think I was soloing all of the ARR Extremes for Wondrous Tails as early as 70.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »
    I think I was soloing all of the ARR Extremes for Wondrous Tails as early as 70.

PLD/WARs can even solo most of the HW extremes as well now. Nascent Flash is so stupid. DRKs have a tougher time of it but TBN can still pull some weight.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i remember bismarck being a pain in the ass because the dudes buff each other's defenses if they're next to each other

liEt3nH.png
    i remember bismarck being a pain in the ass because the dudes buff each other's defenses if they're next to each other

Yeah, there's some mechanics that don't work well solo like that still.

Yeah, I soloed all of the HW Extremes as PLD at 80 (except Bismarck, but mostly because I didn't need to, I found a PF party for that one). But I dunno about soloing them at level 70. When I look at my mid-70s Wondrous Tails book right now, it has four ARR trials (Ifrit Extreme, Moggle Mog Extreme, Ramuh Extreme, Minstrel's Ultima) and just one HW trial (Bismarck Extreme). So the ARR primals seem much more useful from a soloing-for-stickers standpoint while I just ignore the Bismarck box.

This discussion has been closed.