As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the old Star Citizen thread

• ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Blah64 wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So like no joke how much money does that represent?

My Hangar says $31k for ships
    Lord, I hope for your sake you like this game.

• Blah64Blah64 Registered User regular
    What are the two black and white capitals that look like they're made from the skull of some kind of space leviathan?

Those would be Banu Merchantmen.

Apostate wrote: »
    Lord, I hope for your sake you like this game.
    Fortunately, I do indeed like the game.

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Is there some trick to changing your armor without having it delete your space phone, thus rendering you incapable of equipping weapons, changing armor, outfitting your ships, or taking missions without doing a character reset? The old "change your eye color" trick doesn't seem to work anymore to bring it back.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    antherem wrote: »
    Is there some trick to changing your armor without having it delete your space phone, thus rendering you incapable of equipping weapons, changing armor, outfitting your ships, or taking missions without doing a character reset? The old "change your eye color" trick doesn't seem to work anymore to bring it back.

My current plan is "stick to temperate planets" and wait for 3.12

It was a little awkward trying to do perfectly legitimate cargo runs in my full Reaver regalia, but waking up in prison fully armed and armored surely must have a benefit I have not yet found.

Apparently fixed guns work properly again, so getting my Saber reverted to the stock load out was a pleasant surprise.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Just saw they're adding a tractor beam function to the multitool (which I already have no idea how to use, what is its purpose?) and apparently you'll be able to use it to drag yourself around in zero g so that's cool.

emp123 wrote: »
    Just saw they're adding a tractor beam function to the multitool (which I already have no idea how to use, what is its purpose?) and apparently you'll be able to use it to drag yourself around in zero g so that's cool.

I hope they limit the tractor beam to mostly zero-g stuff. Right now, it supposedly lets you carry around stuff up to 250kg while under the effects of gravity, which just seems silly to me.

Right now, only feature I've used the multitool for is mining.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    What's everyone's iconic ship? I think I'm pretty well on record as being associated with the Super Hornet (just ask @Fuselage )

Edit: I'll open this up to unreleased ships that you plan to "main"

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I'm planning to main an Apollo or one of its variants, assuming the future gameplay loop of being a medical search and rescue ship is fun and rewarding.

If it's not, then I'll probably main some sort of jack of all trades ship and dabble in a bit of everything.

I've been 'main'ing the Cutlass Black unfortunately. It is just too good at too many things.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I also main a Cutlass Black for that reason
    ...and it’s the only ship I have

Got my new stick though so I’ll be trying this out before CP hits. Last time though I had a hell of a time getting mapped.

Dixon on
  • FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    What's everyone's iconic ship? I think I'm pretty well on record as being associated with the Super Hornet (just ask @Fuselage )

100% your ship. For the longest time mine was Caterpillar or Carrack because that's where the laranite was at. Before those days, it was all Cutlass time.

I still can't get my version of the game to work so I'll have to figure out what my "main" is after I reinstall. Some day I'll likely split between the Perseus and Merchantman.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    Fuselage wrote: »

100% your ship. For the longest time mine was Caterpillar or Carrack because that's where the laranite was at. Before those days, it was all Cutlass time.

I still can't get my version of the game to work so I'll have to figure out what my "main" is after I reinstall. Some day I'll likely split between the Perseus and Merchantman.

I find the big ships aren't good for 'main'ing because, shocker, but capital ship are inconvenient to play solo.

Fuselage wrote: »

I find the big ships aren't good for 'main'ing because, shocker, but capital ship are inconvenient to play solo.

Oh, I agree, but other than money runs most of my playing this year has been crewing the Hammerhead with friends!

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I think that the exploration aspect of the game the way it's currently described sounds like a lot of fun. Cruising around the galaxy in a 315p or the hobo space camper Mustang Beta might be interesting. We'll have to see how things work out and whether the ability to do major exploration in a solo ship is viable (mainly due to things like Quantum Fuel tanks). Salvaging space wrecks also sounds like a lot of fun though, so I might need to find something a bit bigger so I can haul stuff back with me.

Once more systems come online and the importance of certain things is more obvious (how badly do you need a toilet in your ship? What about a food prep area? etc) than it'll be easier to tell which ships are more useful for your chosen playstyle.

Until then though, I will fly the Aurora LN until it falls apart. I absolutely love that ship.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Right this moment, I'd say my Sabre is my go-to ship and what you'll most likely find me in. Once the G12 gets added in, I think I'm going to try to be more Valkyrie focused.

Will just have to wait and see how the Perseus handles before I can ascertain if she'll become my "main."

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    re: ships, the new expo skin for the Cutlass looks rad as hell
    axasm2slvi7s.jpg

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Freelancer, no question. And for the same reason as the Cutlass; it can do everything. I love my space truck. If I ever throw any more money at this game it will probably be to upgrade it to a MAX.

• DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular

I hope they limit the tractor beam to mostly zero-g stuff. Right now, it supposedly lets you carry around stuff up to 250kg while under the effects of gravity, which just seems silly to me.

What are the physics behind tractor beams?

steam_sig.png
    edited December 2020

What are the physics behind tractor beams?

https://youtu.be/PF8V2NH3g1Y?t=252

Not as fun as Garry's Mod, but still looks like it could lead to fun hijinks and quality of life improvements for box missions and starship Feng Shui.

Edit: Didn't work for me, but tried to make the video start at 4:12.

Fuselage on
    o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    I'm actually interested in that new Mercury Star Cruiser as a main ship, at least for the time being until the Apollo is added into the game, or more specifically until search and rescue gameplay is added. Figure I can be a space trader in that. Any thoughts on that vessel? I know it's still very new.

Lucascraft wrote: »
    I'm actually interested in that new Mercury Star Cruiser as a main ship, at least for the time being until the Apollo is added into the game, or more specifically until search and rescue gameplay is added. Figure I can be a space trader in that. Any thoughts on that vessel? I know it's still very new.

Right now its fuel tank is tiny, not making it very suitable for playing with imo.
    I hear that's gonna be improved in the next patch though.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

Right now its fuel tank is tiny, not making it very suitable for playing with imo.
    I hear that's gonna be improved in the next patch though.

Apparently the fuel scoop is also not working. H2 fuel tank is small, but seems fine for a cargo runner if the scoop worked.

The QF tank, however, is massive. You can stick the fastest Quantum engine in there and crisscross Stanton six times before the fuel light even thinks about turning on. Not sure how much more of a factor that will be with multiple systems, but it's nice.

Well, I fired this up for the first time a little while ago on my new PC. I've "played" before on my old PC. I use the term "played" very loosely because it was a very poor experience. Probably only 10fps on my old rig, maybe less. It was choppy, hard to play, and I never even tried to fly because of how bad it was. So the most I ever did previously was just run around in the various space stations a bit and view the scenery.

So today was my first attempt to actually do something. Decide that this time I'd try Area 18. Spawned in, explored the city district a bit, then took the tram to the starport. Spawned my ship, got inside of it, figured out how to lift off, and then I proceeded to clank around inside the hangar for a bit. I never found an exit. How do you get into space? Also, I've been playing a lot of Elite lately, and so I'm used to the flight controls of that game, which are substantially different from the flight controls of Star Citizen. Needless to say, I just slammed into walls, ceiling, floor, and everything else for a while before giving up. Also, there was what appeared to be an NPC guard walking around in the hangar. I'm pretty sure I ran him over at least 7 times, but he didn't seem to mind.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    @Lucascraft you need to look down at your Comms panel and ask for clearance to takeoff. Doing that will open the hangar bay doors.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    @Lucascraft you need to look down at your Comms panel and ask for clearance to takeoff. Doing that will open the hangar bay doors.

If your ship doesn't have a default comms panel display (a lot don't) click "menu" on one of the displays that is there, and choose "comms" from the list that shows up. I usually replace the power panel with it because there's very limited circumstances in which you'd ever have to look at that panel currently. Unfortunately you have to do it every time you get in the ship.

You can call and request permission to takeoff from your chat tab in your mobiglass as well.

To save time, you can do this while you're riding the elevator to your hangar.

edited December 2020
    I was looking up prices for ships online, trying to find something to set as a goal for myself for a baby's first ship to work towards and unlock for myself. My starter package is the Mustang Alpha and I don't really like the way that ship looks. I was thinking I'd just buy one of the other ships that are tagged as being starter ships. The 100i caught my attention as being a very sleek and pretty ship. But I can't find pricing for it. Is this ship not actually in the game or available to earn with in-game credits?

Lucascraft on
    I was looking up prices for ships online, trying to find something to set as a goal for myself for a baby's first ship to work towards and unlock for myself. My starter package is the Mustang Alpha and I don't really like the way that ship looks. I was thinking I'd just buy one of the other ships that are tagged as being starter ships. The 100i caught my attention as being a very sleek and pretty ship. But I can't find pricing for it. Is this ship not actually in the game or available to earn with in-game credits?

It looks like the 100 series isn't buyable ingame yet. If you're looking for a starter class ship that's a little sleeker looking than the Mustang you could check out the Pisces, it's basically a cool little Star Trek shuttle with a quantum drive. It's easy to get into and out of and has a nice amount of space inside for box missions, decent armament, and is pretty maneuverable. You can pick one up at Arccorp for 406k AUEC.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Star Citizen ships look so fucking cool but give me my goddamn single player game already.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Went mining for a while last night with the fellas in a Mole. We had a pilot, someone on the front turret, and me on a side sponson. Cruising around a planet's surface busting up rocks while shooting the shit and listening to an old timey mining playlist in the background was pretty fun (and pretty profitable). Some other things that happened:

- I managed to crater my Aurora onto the surface because highspeed landings onto the wilderness on the dark side of a planet are more difficult than they look ("nah, you don't have to meet me in orbit, I'll come to you guys" - famous last words)
    - I found out that driving a Tumbril RC on a low gravity planet is absolutely hilarious
    - However you may need to use third person mode if it's an ice planet or it's raining, since your helmet will get frosted and/or wet and be difficult to see out of (fidelity!)
    - Some dude was landing a caterpillar next to the outpost I was at, I got closer to check the ship out from the ground and he suddenly juked over before slamming down in a rough landing and I almost got pancaked by the landing gear

Unfortunately, after that the server I was on started getting pretty unstable, so I called it a night. It came at the worst time, too - I was doing the Covalex Gundo PI mission (an easy 9200auec) and was able to stack three additional personal "Grab my undelivered packace from the wrecked covalex station" missions, which would have brought me in an additional 15k for barely any extra work, but as soon as I'd pick up each crate they would disappear. Oh well.

Now that I have a few UEC in the bank, the next plan is to start beefing up one of my ships.

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Star Citizen ships look so fucking cool but give me my goddamn single player game already.

Unfortunately they're still working on the roadmap for the development of the roadmap for the development the single player game.

I wasn't aware I was buying an atlas when I bought Squadron 42 but here we are I guess

MechMantis on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »

Unfortunately they're still working on the roadmap for the development of the roadmap for the development the single player game.

I wasn't aware I was buying an atlas when I bought Squadron 42 but here we are I guess
    Well, depending on the package you bought when you backed, it maybe did come with a star map :P

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    MechMantis wrote: »

Well, depending on the package you bought when you backed, it maybe did come with a star map :P

Well yeah, but I also bought a game, too, and such is not forthcoming, at least on the single player front!

MechMantis on
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @MechMantis You should jump into Star Citizen with some of us. I don't really know how to customize ships in Arena Commander, so I don't know if you need to get parts in universe or if they're specific to that mode

3basnids3lf9.jpg

I decided to take a break from Cyberpunk and attempt to complete my first mission.

I watched a tutorial on basic flight and takeoff/landing and figured out how to get off Area 18. I accepted a mission to do a pickup and delivery from somewhere called Wala. But now I'm stuck. I spooled my quantum drive and flew to Wala, but now i can't figure out how to get to the destination. The planet seems to not be getting any closer and my ship is just creeping along very slowly towards the destination. At this rate it will take like 30 minutes to get there or more.

Any help? I haven't been able to find this part in a tutorial. How do I actually get to the destination from open space, now that I'm in orbit of this planet?

Also, bonus question. My starter ship is the Mustang Alpha. It's got a rear cargo hatch, but how do I actually use it? I lowered the cargo bay, and tried setting my boxes on it, and then the lift won't retract while the boxes are on it. It appears that there's a freight box attached that goes up and down with the cargo hatch, but I can't figure out how to open this box to place the cargo in it.

I saw some videos, and people were just awkwardly throwing boxes behind the pilot chair. That can't be right, can it? Why does this ship have a cargo bay if people are just chucking boxes back behind their seat?

• LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    If it’s a legal cargo transport mission then it should be at an outpost on the moon’s surface. If you should be able to plot a course to that specific outpost and perform what’s called a quantum spline jump to about 20km away from it. If it’s an illegal drug running mission you’ll have to slow boat it through space, and that can take a while.

Every planet and moon also has 6 points around its orbit, you can’t select to fly to them from the star map, but you can align to them when spoiling up your drive. They’re called orbital markers, OM1 through 6. If you can’t travel to a specific point on the surface, warping to a nearby OM marker can save some time.

• DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    And, um, yeah. For the Mustang Alpha you do indeed need to just chuck the box behind the pilot seat, and hope that your destination is in space so you can EVA to retrieve it. Internal cargo racks aren't implemented yet, so you don't have an "official" place to put that box.

It is something that bugs me about Star Citizen. The game has evolved and changed since those first ships were designed, and I'm not entirely sure I'd call the Aurora and Mustang "starters" anymore because they have a hard time doing "starter" missions.

The Aurora and Mustang will eventually have the Stor-All boxes that will attach to them, it's just that the tech for having boxes in boxes in cargo grids is still being worked on (this is the same reason why the Hull series isn't flyable yet). Once that is implemented they'll be fine for cargo and box missions. The Aurora currently has space for a couple of boxes behind the cockpit, but it's a sloppy workaround.

For the Mustang, there are a lot of lower level bounty missions you can do (it's got a pretty decent offensive loadout for a starter ship) to bring in some cash. Also, if you're near Port Olisar, keep an eye out for a personal mission looking for a private investigator, that one is a lot of fun and can be done in any ship.

Alternately, you can get on the discord and join us sometime and we can do some mining runs, bunker assaults, or you can hop in someone's ship and be a turret gunner for some bounty hunting so we can show you some more of the gameplay loops.

edited December 2020
    I have not studied their roadmap or planned feature matrix extensively, but one thing I'm wondering about -- will they be adding a way to capture live bounties, restrain them, and transport them to a station or authority to collect? Basically, I'd like to be able to live out the entire Mandalorian fantasy in a gameplay loop. Get a bounty, track the mark to a planet or outpost, hunt them down, and capture them and then haul them back for a payday. That's what I want. Like on foot. I'd like to be able to do bounties that are FPS missions.

Lucascraft on
This discussion has been closed.