As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Buying retro console hardware/software

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Yeah you need something like the Series CPU just for smooth gamecube/wii emulation. Dolphin is a bitty iffy on things like the One and Nvidia Shield TV. God of War games on PPSSPP are also pretty infamous at slaying lesser platforms which is why MVG showed it off.

PS3 emulation is truly ridiculous, many games struggling on even top PCs, and I doubt the Series will ever be a great platform for that even if it gets it barely running. PS2 would be enough of an accomplishment.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Yeah, considering a GTX 1080 Ti and a i5 aren't a great (or even good) RPCS3 solution, I could certainly see that being the case.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Limited Run is about to have Return of the Ninja for GBC up for sale tomorrow(Also Shadow of the Ninja for NES).

It seems like something that might be nice to have with the Analogue Pocket coming out but I must confess I know nothing of the game and my nostalgia for it is 0. Is this a good enough game to invest $50 for a re-print of it?

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/neo-frontpage/products/return-of-the-ninja-gbc

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    So, things have been done.

https://youtu.be/psTunlgKOMM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGNgWT3ZEHI

So, as anyone familiar with RetroArch, etc., emulation would not be surprised to hear--you have to put a lot of effort into settings more than anything else.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    The 4MB RAM cartridge that I ordered for my Saturn the other day came in this morning. I've spent the evening being reminded that I am complete dogshit at Capcom 2D fighters, but it's still a lot of fun to have arcade perfect ports thanks to the extra memory. I mostly picked it up because the new Vandal Hearts English translation utilizes it to speed up load times, and if the Dracula X English translation ever gets its bugs ironed out it supports the 4MB cart for the same purpose. I figured it would be better to get one now while they're still fairly inexpensive since more and more homebrew seems to be taking advantage of them. Also, it's nice to be able to play Metal Slug, even if the Saturn version has some slowdown.

The system itself was a white Japanese model 2 that came with a matching controller and memory cart, and I've since picked up a second controller (a white 3D controller to match the system), an S-Video cable, a MODE, a Netlink (now that more games are available to be played online), and now a 4MB RAM cartridge. This means I can ditch the PseudoSaturn cartridge I had been using, which is good - the cartridge slot in my Saturn is finicky (not surprising, considering it is 25 year old hardware), so the plan is to rebend the pins to get it back to its original shape, and no longer have to use any third party carts. Since I'll only have first party carts, I will hopefully not see any issues with the slot since they are all manufactured to the same spec (and not too wide like a lot of third party carts are).

It also means that I don't need to spend any more money, which is also good.

I've been slowly whittling down my course times in Sega Rally (the 3D controller definitely helps), I beat Tomb Raider last night, I'm currently trying to decide whether I want to start Vandal Hearts or Shining Force 3, and I've been peppering my playtime with various Sonic games from the Sonic Jam collection. I have friends who are going crazy trying to find a way to buy a PS5, but in my house it has pretty much been 1998 for the past two months.

SmokeStacks on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I love the Monkey Island series as much as the next guy, but this is above my fan grade.

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/neo-frontpage/products/monkey-island-30th-anniversary-anthology-pc

I would have loved it if they released a version with just the games on DVDs, code wheels, flash drive and the behind the scenes book since I really don't have room for the rest and the huge box.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    I'm still a little heartbroken that MI3 didn't get a treatment for the Xbox 360, etc. consoles (much less a remaster, though admittedly it was already voiced, like its two predecessors were).

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Why must LimitedRun put out a Holy Grail like this when I can't afford it (in time to make sure I snag a pre-order)?!

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    The Murray candle holder is brilliant.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I'm still a little heartbroken that MI3 didn't get a treatment for the Xbox 360, etc. consoles (much less a remaster, though admittedly it was already voiced, like its two predecessors were).

Same.

Could've had some major fun with adaptation to, like throw in a rhythm mini-game for the banjo duel like the old PS2 RPG Ephemeral Fantasia did with the original Guitar Freaks layout/controllers.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I love the Monkey Island series as much as the next guy, but this is above my fan grade.

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/neo-frontpage/products/monkey-island-30th-anniversary-anthology-pc

I would have loved it if they released a version with just the games on DVDs, code wheels, flash drive and the behind the scenes book since I really don't have room for the rest and the huge box.

That's a really cool package!
    *Checks price*
    Pfffffft

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Anyone in here with more technical knowhow than me wanna take a crack at fixing this old busted commodore 64 I've had for a while and can't make heads or tails of?

I am feeling generous so I figure I can just ship it to whomever in the continental states sometime in January or so depending on when I can get it boxed up decently. If anyone wants it drop me a pm.

Only requirement is if you get it running and it's something stupid or simple that I missed because I am dumb send me a video or pictures of how you got it working. :lol: oh also don't just part it out immediately upon receipt. I know the sid and vicii chips can be worth some money on their own but make a good faith effort to get it running first.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Even anime ladies have to blow on a cartridge now and then.

https://youtu.be/8hfDKIBZwts

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I'm still not sure what to think about vtubers conceptually, but I will say the girl doing the streaming has some great line delivery.

• TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    august wrote: »

Altered Beast (Genesis version) has always creeped me out a little bit (probably leftover from when I was a kid). I'm not sure 100% what it is, but I think it's a combination of the music, backgrounds, and enemies. However, in a complete contrast is whenever you get hit or die, I burst out laughing.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    edited December 2020
    https://kotaku.com/someone-found-a-weird-unreleased-simpsons-game-on-an-ol-1845919560

File dump from a broken Dreamcast dev kit revealed an incomplete Simpsons concept pitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TC4nD0qxUM

From the uploader YT comments
    Mystery solved! From one of Red Lemon Studio's founders, Andy Campbell:

"Oh my! Not seen that for 20 years! We had a great coder who had developed an amazing cell shading engine for DC. I knew Fox pretty well, so this was a demo we created and I pitched to them. We were never commissioned, so this was technically never an official title in development

This was a trip down memory lane. The tech was great, developed by a guy call Rich Evans, great coder. Bug Squad concept came from Jamie Grant if I remember. A great art team built the models. The tech was also pitched as a production tool for the show itself. No game made though"

Donnicton on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Since I'm working to simplify my collection, I have been selling off a great deal of my stuff. I don't very often go retro game hunting any longer because I just don't have the space, time, or money. But over the last two weeks, I've run into a few deals and went kinda crazy grabbing a few games that I've had on my want list:

zE1v2JJ.jpg?1

kkQpHat.jpg

I love a bunch of the SNES era beat 'em ups so I finally got Maximum Carnage and Superman, which I've wanted for a long while. I've also been after finishing the Super Star Wars Trilogy, so I got Super Star Wars and Return of the Jedi to compliment my Empire Strikes Back. Little King's Story is one of the few Wii games left I wanted in my library. The TMNT Trilogy on the NES are also some games I've been after for a while and finally bit the bullet and grabbed them from someone that was selling all three.

My 7 year old hass been playing Maximum Carnage almost non-stop since we got it.

Now I just need to grab Separation Anxiety at some point to go with Maximum Carnage.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Also yes, the Maximum Carnage is legit, they had a run of non-red colored carts. I wanted the red cart, but it was cheaper to grab the regular gray one.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    So does anyone know if the old discworld adventure games are on any store (couldn’t find them on steam or gog) and if so are they working well with scummvm?

So does anyone know if the old discworld adventure games are on any store (couldn’t find them on steam or gog) and if so are they working well with scummvm?

I haven't seen it as a digital download on any storefront, just various copies of the original CD-Roms on places like eBay and Amazon marketplace. Not sure how the original or Noir play, but I do still have my copy of DWII: Mortality Bites and it plays quite nice with ScummVM in .iso form.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Been thinking about getting a Terraonion MODE (https://shop.terraonion.com/en/home/17-Terraonion_MODE_Dreamcast_Saturn_ODE.html) for the last month or so. My Saturn disc drive still works, along with 2 dreamcasts I have, but times-a-tickin'.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Been thinking about getting a Terraonion MODE (https://shop.terraonion.com/en/home/17-Terraonion_MODE_Dreamcast_Saturn_ODE.html) for the last month or so. My Saturn disc drive still works, along with 2 dreamcasts I have, but times-a-tickin'.

I have a MODE in my Saturn. It's spendy (you'll be paying a bit of a premium for compatibility across all Saturn hardware revisions, as well as the Dreamcast support), but if you've ever done any console modding before the installation will be pretty straightforward. I threw an old 120GB SSD I had lying around in it and it's been great. One feature I really like is the ability to backup the Saturn's internal memory to an SD card. I'd like to do an FRAM mod at some point, but until then it's nice to be able to occasionally backup my saves (it makes me much more likely to start a very long RPG, for example).

Something to know beforehand though - when it comes to ODEs on the Saturn, you won't see the sort of drastic load time shortening that you do on something like a PS2 with an internal hard drive. The Saturn's optical drive bus is fairly slow, so the data gets bottlenecked. You'll definitely see some improvement from being able to completely saturate the connection and from not having any seek times like you would on an actual CD-ROM, but it won't be the 50-80% reductions you can see on other platforms.

With the slew of new translations that the Saturn is getting, now is a great time to get an ODE.

• JohnGriffinJohnGriffin MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    So I bought an Anbernic RG351P, wiped the default OS on the device and installed a community build called ArkOS. I'm absolutely in love with this thing. It plays PS1 with no slowdown, and has a pixel perfect screen for GBA games.

It's not perfect but for the cost it absolutely beats out using a phone for emulation for the systems I'm interested in.

For most people I'd say go for the 351M instead for the 640x480 screen for 4:3 games, but for me I've actually been looking for a device to mostly play GBA and GB games on so this thing is perfect.

I feel like if you go in knowing the limitations of the device you will be quite happy.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I've seen ArkOS mentioned a few times. Is it that big of a jump? What are the differences in usability etc?

Also, doesn't the 351P have the same screen as the 351M? I thought it was the 350P that had the lower-res (albeit 1:1 with GBA IIRC) screen.

Jazz on
  • JohnGriffinJohnGriffin MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    I've seen ArkOS mentioned a few times. Is it that big of a jump? What are the differences in usability etc?

Also, doesn't the 351P have the same screen as the 351M? I thought it was the 350P that had the lower-res (albeit 1:1 with GBA IIRC) screen.

The 351P has the 480x320 3:2 display. I was wrong about the M, I think it has the same screen, it's the V (just came out) that has the 640x480 screen. For 3:2 games if you use RGA scaling most systems look quite good, and even RPG's are readable for the most part.

The biggest jump in usability by far is in place updates for the OS over wifi.

I've found transferring to be easier also, as it has a file manager web front end (you can still ftp). I also appreciated that remote access to the device is off by default.

Lastly there is the anberports project which works in ArkOS. This ports a bunch of PC games natively, such as half-life, jedi academy, and quake, as well as moonlight, and the streaming gaming services like stadia and Luna.

Don't get me wrong the default OS is fine, I just didn't appreciate it being pre loaded (poorly in my opinion) with games and wanted to start fresh with my own collection.

edited April 2021
    Speaking of the Saturn and save files, my memory cart wiped itself the other day. I was playing X-Men vs Street Fighter (and when I say "playing" I mean "getting my ass stomped"), and then afterward removed my 4MB RAM cart and put the memory cart back in, and it seems like I got the pins misaligned and the next time I fired up a game I was told that my cart needed to be formatted before it could be used.

I didn't lose any super important saves (the only one that had any real amount of effort was a cleared Tomb Raider save, but I love that game and will replay it at some point anyway), but it still sucks. I know that the cartridge slot os the Saturn's Achilles Heel in terms of hardware, but I wish there was a better solution. I'm currently trying to decide if I just want to leave my old PSK 4-in-1 in the slot permanently (which is ugly, and would mean I'd have to go through the PSK menu to get to the BIOS, then exit the BIOS to get to the MODE menu every time I play a game, or just stick the memory cart in there forever and give up on 1MB and 4MB games (which is probably the better option since I suck at fighting games and can play Metal Slug on something else).

At any rate I was gonna start playing the recent Grandia translation but I'm super paranoid about saves now. I think when I play it I'm just going to save them to the console memory and just back up the saves to an SD card using the MODE after every play session.

I wish there was an aftermarket solution to this problem, but the cartridge slot is attached directly to the motherboard.

SmokeStacks on
    edited April 2021
    I have a new GBA, and it's my 3DS.

Because some folks have finally got a project up and running that allows you to directly access the GBA hardware in the 3DS, without having to go through the previous lengthy process of creating individual Virtual Console injections.

I also got a soft rubber grip which is absolutely ridiculously ugly and huge, but if it makes playing action games better, I'm keeping it.
    43zcuatke8gb.jpg
    q827lysd9r6j.jpg

august on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »
    august wrote: »

Altered Beast (Genesis version) has always creeped me out a little bit (probably leftover from when I was a kid). I'm not sure 100% what it is, but I think it's a combination of the music, backgrounds, and enemies. However, in a complete contrast is whenever you get hit or die, I burst out laughing.

vehlgqxb47ps.png

I just heard the transformation sound effect and now have the music stuck in my head.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I didn't know you can play psp games and PSOne classics on a Vita.

Krathoon wrote: »

In addition if you hack your Vita you can convert any PS1 game to play on it.

There are some weird restrictions for a few of the PSP games though. A couple you can't play on the Vita at all(Brave Story: New Traveler comes to mind) and others you have to download with your PS3/4 and then transfer to the Vita, you can't directly download to Vita from the store because ???reasons???

Donnicton wrote: »

There are some weird restrictions for a few of the PSP games though. A couple you can't play on the Vita at all(Brave Story: New Traveler comes to mind) and others you have to download with your PS3/4 and then transfer to the Vita, you can't directly download to Vita from the store because ???reasons???

I think this was only pulled off the store, that doesn't mean it isn't compatible.

Analogue
    @analogue
    Super Nt will be restocked in Classic, SF, and Black.
    Available April 9, 2021 at 8am PDT.
    Limit 2 per customer.

The tweet doesn't mention it but the shockingly expensive Nt Mini Noir will also be available.

Just hack your Vita. It takes maybe half an hour and you can do it with any firmware. Regardless of how you feel about piracy or emulators it's worth it solely for being able to use an SD2Vita adaptor so you can buy cheap MicroSD cards instead of paying for Sony's proprietary memory cards (which were expensive enough already, but are skyrocketing in price right now because people are panic buying them before the PSN store for the Vita shuts down for some reason).

Oh yeah. The Vita memory cards are absurdly high. Might have to use the SD2Vita adaptor.

Sometimes you can snag PlayStation 1 games for cheap on Mercari.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular

Analogue
    @analogue
    Super Nt will be restocked in Classic, SF, and Black.
    Available April 9, 2021 at 8am PDT.
    Limit 2 per customer.

The tweet doesn't mention it but the shockingly expensive Nt Mini Noir will also be available.

Managed to get one of the Classic variety. Man it was touch and go though, for the longest time it wouldn't let me add to cart, and then after I did and was waiting in line my power went out! Analogue really needs to work on their checkout system. They did add a line this time though so at least they are improving.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I received one of my favorite Genesis games, Landstalker. I remember it being fairly difficult at age nine or so, so I'm excited to see if it really was that hard.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Every copy of Landstalker I've ever owned/played has had a dead save function, so, watch out for that.

uyvfOQy.png