As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Read a [book].

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2020
    I love libraries for the same reason I love used bookshops, because I can grab stuff that I'm not sure I'll like without worrying about money. Most of my life I've had a very limited casual spending budget, and so I've had to restrict my book buying to things that are kind of a known quantity, and 'worth it' financially. Whereas at a library I can literally walk out with a dozen books by people I've never heard of before and who cares if half of them turn out to be crap?!?

That said I got out of the habit of joining libraries when I moved to Germany, and shifted more towards buying second-hand. I should probably change that up.

tynic on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I came into this thread to do some Satanee stalking, but it reminded me I haven't actually picked up a book for like 6 months because I'm the worst.

Reading through the thread I came across 2 different books people were talking about which I thought sounded interesting, so looked them up on Kindle, and I apparently I already own both of them. So I guess I should actually read them. Right after I finish the Witcher novels, which I started in January.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I came into this thread to do some Satanee stalking, but it reminded me I haven't actually picked up a book for like 6 months because I'm the worst.

Reading through the thread I came across 2 different books people were talking about which I thought sounded interesting, so looked them up on Kindle, and I apparently I already own both of them. So I guess I should actually read them. Right after I finish the Witcher novels, which I started in January.

Which two books?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Gideon the Ninth and Children of Ruin

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Dang. That's a very high concentration of good books.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    I think you were the one that recommended Children of Ruin to me so you're basically giving your past self a pat on the back there

Oh no! That dude is my nemesis!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    There are books I'm glad I got and read from the library, as they were ok, but I would have regretted spending my limited money on them. I have bought books before I regretted paying money for, that I would have enjoyed if I just rented them instead, like The Binding.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Books are too fucking heavy, nobody should own more than 15 books

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I tried to listen to Baru Cormorant on audiobook since I needed to spend all my audible credits before closing the subscription, but since i'm not driving any more, the only time I can really listen to audiobooks is when playing video games. And the game I'm playing right now takes just enough of my ability to process language that I can't listen to more than like a minute before losing my place. So I might just hit up the local library to grab a copy to just sit down and read.

steam_sig.png
    Locke and Key is good, if a bit silly. Popular acclaimed things are good, who knew?

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Sometimes popular things are good.

Sometimes popular things are not good.

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

Pfft, this is only an issue if you ever plan on moving.

(which I'm getting ready to do right now and I have SO many boxes of books, y'all)

**weeps**

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I tried to listen to Baru Cormorant on audiobook since I needed to spend all my audible credits before closing the subscription, but since i'm not driving any more, the only time I can really listen to audiobooks is when playing video games. And the game I'm playing right now takes just enough of my ability to process language that I can't listen to more than like a minute before losing my place. So I might just hit up the local library to grab a copy to just sit down and read.

Baru merits your undivided attention
    Or she'll fucking ruin your economy

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    shalmelo wrote: »

Pfft, this is only an issue if you ever plan on moving.

(which I'm getting ready to do right now and I have SO many boxes of books, y'all)

**weeps**

The first time I moved I put all my books into one big box because hey I've got a good number of them and I'll just hoist it into the handcart and wheel it out, no big deal.

Nearly threw out my back the instant I attempted to lift so much as a single corner to slide the handcart under.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I pack books the same way I do most things, which is to say, into old boxes recovered from the local liquor store

They're the perfect size to not end up being too heavy, and if you pack everything in them then it's very easy to tetris up a car

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited December 2020

"Could God create an object so heavy even they could not lift it?"

"Yes, but only if it was full of books."

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Ooooooh yeah, books go into lots of little boxes.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Ive moved a few times in the last decade due to military, school, and job. Every time I beg my wife to donate her books, and every time we basically kill ourselves trying to haul the totes full of books. Don't get me wrong I have books too, but she has like the entire nora roberts/jd robb collection among a bunch of other urban fantasy/romance books. And they are heavy.

At least in our new house we have this book nook thing for them all.

https://imgur.com/a/zHRcurd

Enigmedic on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I saw this book come in and I got really excited because I love a good pun title above all other things but man it sucks, holy cow. I'm not even going to copy the description because it's one giant trigger warning but basically it's got a horrible plot that centers around sexual assault. Bad Job Amanda Harlowe!

51475180._SY475_.jpg

No book news as such, but as I was going past the Salvation Army donations sorting point on my way to the shop, I saw a nice looking bookcase and long story short a 6'6" high oak case is now in my hallway and the Sally Ally are £50 better off.

Don't support the Salvation Army fyi

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Don't support the Salvation Army fyi

To expound on why, they're virulently anti-trans.

My brain shuts off there but they may do other awful things as well, I don't know.

Fuck's sake.

Well the UK branch seems to be slightly less obnoxious, just recently, after getting battered for it, so that's some comfort I suppose.

Anyway it's a damb nice bookcase.

afaik they're anti-lbgtq in general, and relentless bible-pushers.

Also their bells are fucking obnoxious.

Well the local lot don't seem to be that bothered with bells.

It's a salient reminder that addressing the needs of the vulnerable is best and should only be done through obligate neutral governmental programs, not left to the variable whims of private organisations.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    While not supporting the Salvation Army is a universal good and all that, I'm not going to hold it against anyone who for thrifting from them. Yes, they're still making a profit, but sometimes that's the only option you have available to you.

Just don't donate to them like, in the form of directly giving them money for them to do shitty things with.

yeah buying secondhand from them is wev, I won't donate to them but it's not like mass furniture manufacturers are bastions of high-integrity and protectors of the poor.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    all my furniture is made out of sawdust, I don't begrudge anyone who gets a nice bookshelf for cheap

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    A lot of American charities are grifts. Goodwill is even worse than SA, thanks to dystopian American labor laws. It’s a franchise where rich Republicans get even richer by using vulnerable workers with disabilities who they legally don’t have to pay minimum wage.

https://medium.com/@aliceminium/the-dark-reality-behind-americas-greatest-thrift-store-empire-183967087a1e

Might be a good local alternative to both. Central North Carolina has TROSA, which combines a thrift store with services to help get people with addictions back into the workforce.

Phillishere on
    Well that's a little out of my way, unfortunately.

Have gotten back into Witcher book 5 (or 7, I guess), Lady of the Lake. Having played the games has really helped me here because I was just able to pick it up and carry on from where I left off instead of having to recap anything like I usually would with a series.

Just got to
    the part where Ciri escapes from the elves and starts jumping across a ton of different times and places, which I enjoyed. When I thought she might find Geralt in the mountain pass I got really excited and then actually a bit emotional when they missed each other.

Also the reveal that Ciri caused the Catriona plague was a fun "holy shit" moment that I guess only hits that way if you come to the books after the games. Which made me ponder on how different people experience things differently and got me weirdly existential. Stupid books making me think and feel things.

edited December 2020
    Reading a book about eels.

Eels are fuckin weird, folks.

Also, the author and his dad seem like they have a pretty cool relationship, which is nice, because it's like half of the words in this book.

But seriously, eels. Did you know that Freud spent like a whole year dissecting eels trying to find one with testicles, and failed? Aristotle was all like eels, man, how do they screw? Nobody knows. And that's me, Aristotle, saying that.

Eels. Fuckin weird.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    I stumbled on R.L Stine’s Twitter today, and it is very fun. It almost make me want to read some old goosebumps novels

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I finally decided to mount my flat screen TV on the wall. This means I now need to dispose of roughly nine hundred dollars of anesthesia textbooks that are about a decade out of date which were propping the TV up to eye level.

You can't recycle these things. They have absolutely no value.

So, just burn them in the fire pit?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    You might see if they are worth donating to a library. You said that they are out of date, but a book does not need to be cutting edge to be useful.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    Yeah. Outdated medical textbooks won't go on the shelf, but someone will buy them by the foot on the last day of the booksale to decorate a top shelf with. And if not, they're more likely to get properly pulped if they're part of a bulk recycling lot instead of ending up in a landfill.

There are charities that accept medical texts, but I'm not sure what the demand is like for anesthesia books specifically.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Those are great ideas. I'll make some calls and tomorrow. All of the students and residents I train now have various medical apps and shit on their phones or tablets. I'm not sure anyone reads medical textbooks anymore.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
This discussion has been closed.