As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game Awards 2020] It's a hell year, so of course Hades did well

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Can we all appreciate that No man's sky guy was absolutely and utterly not expecting or even ready to win anything?

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    Can we all appreciate that No man's sky guy was absolutely and utterly not expecting or even ready to win anything?

Which is too bad, I think it had a fair shot at "player support". It's been a good past two years for NMS in that specific category. None of the judges played it or gave a shit is the problem.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I don't think some people realise how developers genuinely appreciate receiving these awards (or genuinely care to some degree whether or not they win them, eg. Rockstar being salty and walking out when God of War won GOTY in 2018 lmao). Even if all we as the audience get from them is a sense of validation or lack thereof, or just second-hand good vibes, most of these groups aren't walking away from nominations going "this show's just an illegitimate commercial anyway", because generally the developers will enjoy the appreciation to just be on the list, and the exposure developers are getting to be part of The Commercial really puts their hard work in the spotlight in a big way

Like yeah the Keighleys are commercial as fuck, but that doesn't make the decision process for the nominees and winners inherently any less valid.
    Zunde wrote: »

Sean Murray rightfully caught a ton of shit for botching his vague promotion and false messaging as to what his game was about at launch, but it went way far beyond abuse and it's nice to see his company have their efforts recognized and applauded for turning things around completely

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    In my opinion.

No man's sky promised the world and gave almost nothing. They got a lot of rightful critique but nutsack goblins are going to be nutsack goblins and i will never support harassing somebody or a group especially over something as trivial as a video game.

The fact that they powered through the abuse and managed to perform a honest to god redemption arc and forge no man's sky into a very fun game that it is today i'd give them praise and credit for that.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I'm glad TLOU2 won, hopefully we will see more female protagonists in games

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    https://kotaku.com/games-made-under-crunch-conditions-don-t-deserve-best-1845863225/amp?__twitter_impression=true

TLOU2 had certain awards that it was still eligible for, imo, such as accessibility and Best Performance. Perhaps even Best Writing. But Game of the Year and most specifically Best Direction were disgusting choices.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    https://kotaku.com/games-made-under-crunch-conditions-don-t-deserve-best-1845863225/amp?__twitter_impression=true

TLOU2 had certain awards that it was still eligible for, imo, such as accessibility and Best Performance. Perhaps even Best Writing. But Game of the Year and most specifically Best Direction were disgusting choices.

I can *kind of* allow Game of the Year. If nothing else, those god damn ropes? *witchcraft*

But holy hell, Best Direction??? But other people have already explained why that's a fucking idiotic choice and why Supergiant Games should have taken that one.

*edit* Also, did poor Ghost of Tsushima win anything beside Player's Choice? I genuinely think it was a better all-around game than TLOU2 (but I'm biased because I'm a GIGANTIC nerd for pre-1900 Japanese history)

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

I can *kind of* allow Game of the Year. If nothing else, those god damn ropes? *witchcraft*

But holy hell, Best Direction??? But other people have already explained why that's a fucking idiotic choice and why Supergiant Games should have taken that one.

*edit* Also, did poor Ghost of Tsushima win anything beside Player's Choice? I genuinely think it was a better all-around game than TLOU2 (but I'm biased because I'm a GIGANTIC nerd for pre-1900 Japanese history)

Ghost won best art iirc.

• Options
    edited December 2020

Ghost won best art iirc.

so I minored in Japanese Art History in college (long story and I had to design the major and minor in east asian studies myself, yes I'm a turbo-nerd) and I have to say, *extremely well deserved*

as in: as someone who actually studied The Thing in a scholarly setting, I was in a constant state of "holy shit" and "oh god, the detail" and "they referenced who???" and "okay that's 400 years out of date, but I understand their *exact* reasons for using said thing in this setting despite it being 400 years too early for said thing to exist" (the reasons were "it's cool" and "for a Western audience, it'd be weird not to have this" and "we're more referencing Akira Kurosawa films and classic Japanese historical fiction drama" and "it's cool, but we've shown elsewhere that we did our homework and this isn't just blind anachronism for the sake of anachronism")

which is a hell of a ride to be on, so. A+, 100%, awesome.

**EDIT**

Put another way? I graduated from college in 2010. Ghost of Tsushima had me digging out my textbooks to look up everything I could on the Kamakura era and the Mongol invasions to compare my own notes to Sucker Punch's creation. Which is why it's tied with Hades for my Game of the Year (Hades had me pestering my mother, who teaches classical Greek theater, about her annotated copy of The Bacchae, the Elusinian Mysteries, and various myths & legends)

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    TLOU2 winning really shows the industry being locked in this mindset of wanting to be Hollywood.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Sterica wrote: »
    TLOU2 winning really shows the industry being locked in this mindset of wanting to be Hollywood.

In some ways yes, but I also disagree vehemently with anyone who says it didn't deserve it because it's absolutely a worthy contender.

It's a technical marvel, a watermark for inclusion in terms of protagonists, was bold in its storytelling (which does open it up for a lot of controversy) and was a technical marvel. Compared with say Cyberpunk 2077, which is a technical mess, I can't recall The Last of Us having any major bugs, issues or even crashing on me a single time while I was playing it.

Nobody can convince me it wasn't worthy of it, which of course does not mean I wouldn't have felt some of those other games wouldn't be a good choice either.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    I found the last of us 2 to be "Standard" strictly from a "Yes this is an action game with stealth elements." Formula.

Unfortunately discourse on TLOU2 was forever tainted by bigots and transphobes being absolute nutsack goblins.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I don’t really agree with technical feats being a heavy factor for Game of the Year.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Despite all it's fancy graphics, every other GOTY contender on the list was better looking in my book.

The story wasn't bold IMO, either. It was a pretty standard revenge plot. Mostly carried by excellent performances.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2020

Supposedly TLOU2 was winning player's choice with Ghost in 2nd until a last-minute surge. I've seen the suggestion that people piled on to Ghosts at that point primarily to keep TLOU2 out of the top spot.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Aegeri wrote: »

It's a technical marvel, a watermark for inclusion in terms of protagonists, was bold in its storytelling (which does open it up for a lot of controversy)

Okay, but the thing is, Hades is at a minimum equal to TLOU in those respects. Hades' protagonist is a bisexual polyamorous man who can potentially end up in three open, loving relationships, one of which is an explicitly sexual relationship with another man. And he can be in those relationships at the same time, and have very frank, open discussions with all of his partners about how they all feel about that, and unlike SO MANY other games, those discussions come down to "We're actually all okay with this arrangement and we're all friends with each other too." Like, that's pretty damn bold, actually!

AND THEN it has at least one major character who is explicitly agender / nonbinary and uses they/them pronouns, AND THEN it's got another gay male couple where a very large part of the plot with them is explicitly about getting them back together, AND THEN there's another major character who is lesbian and a lot of your relationship with her is about her getting comfortable enough to talk to you about it.

AND

THEN

Hades has branching voice lines and mini story arcs for basically every SINGLE possible combination/way of progressing the game you can think of, and actually has A LOT to say about family, about abusive relationships, about forgiveness, about self-discovery, and about death itself! Like!

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    Can confirm have literally over 100 Hours in Hades and i'm still getting new dialogs

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Hades is superior to TLOU2 in every possible way except raw polygon count.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    CrownClown67CrownClown67 Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Never played Hades,, but is it really that good? Is it better than Diablo 3 or Path of Exile?

I like playing games. my favorite game series are : FF12 , Uncharted, MGS
    check search site: duckduckgo.com
  • Options
    CrownClown67CrownClown67 Registered User regular
    IGN winners: (don't ban me :? )
    www.ign.com/articles/the-game-awards-2020-all-the-winners

I like playing games. my favorite game series are : FF12 , Uncharted, MGS
    check search site: duckduckgo.com
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

It's a technical marvel, a watermark for inclusion in terms of protagonists, was bold in its storytelling (which does open it up for a lot of controversy)

Okay, but the thing is, Hades is at a minimum equal to TLOU. Hades' protagonist is a bisexual polyamorous man who can potentially end up in three open, loving relationships, one of which is an explicitly sexual relationship with another man. And he can be in those relationships at the same time, and have very frank, open discussions with all of his partners about how they all feel about that, and unlike SO MANY other games, those discussions come down to "We're actually all okay with this arrangement and we're all friends with each other too." Like, that's pretty damn bold, actually!

AND THEN it has at least one major character who is explicitly agender / nonbinary and uses they/them pronouns, AND THEN it's got another gay male couple where a very large part of the plot with them is explicitly about getting them back together, AND THEN there's another major character who is lesbian and a lot of your relationship with her is about her getting comfortable enough to talk to you about it.

AND

THEN

Hades has branching voice lines and mini story arcs for basically every SINGLE possible combination/way of progressing the game you can think of, and actually has A LOT to say about family, about abusive relationships, about forgiveness, about self-discovery, and about death itself! Like!

Also, the Olympian gods’ designs take into account the wide variety of people who would have worshipped them, instead of them all being white.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

Never played Hades,, but is it really that good? Is it better than Diablo 3 or Path of Exile?

It's honestly nothing like either of those games other than killing things in an isometric view. It's more of an action Roguelike with an incredible narrative.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

It's honestly nothing like either of those games other than killing things in an isometric view. It's more of an action Roguelike with an incredible narrative.

Pretty much. Granted, it plays really really well, with six completely different weapons. And you regularly get a drip-feed of boons and items to make you stronger and alter the game in interesting ways. Some of which you can get by risking tougher fights or a temporary hit to your life, giving you constant choices that keep you invested. And many of the things you're rewarded with make you permanently stronger, which takes much of the sting out of the many deaths. And that's before the near-endless interesting dialog and fascinating characters.

Let me put it to you this way: I'm not generally a fan of roguelikes that expect you to die over and over and over and over. But Hades is either one of the best or the best games I've played all year.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

Hades is one of those few, few games that is better than what you've heard and yes you should play it.

I am not hyperbolic when I say Hades has cracked my top five all time, joining X-Com Enemy Unknown among others.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah Hades is sick, but also not Path or Diablo. Those are looters arpgs, Hades is an action roguelike.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    people are going crazy over Best Direction for TLOU2, but I thought the directing was great, especially compared to say Death Stranding. I get people are salty that TLOU2 has female protagonists, but like, that doesn't mean it deserved all the hate it got

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Most of the people I've seen upset about TLOU2 getting best direction are mad because it was made under horrible crunch conditions. Game direction isn't just about directing the performances in the game, it's about directing how the game is made, including timelines. If a game has damning reports of crunch, well, maybe it wasn't directed the best.

Cruor on
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Cruor wrote: »
    Most of the people I've seen upset about TLOU2 getting best direction are mad because it was made under horrible crunch conditions. Game direction isn't just about directing the performances in the game, it's about directing how the game is made, including timelines. If a game has damning reports of crunch, well, maybe it wasn't directed the best.

most of the thousands of people that review bombed it on metacritic a minute after launch I've always assumed never played it, and their misogynistic and transphobic comments didn't mention crunch

Zavian on
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Zavian wrote: »
    Cruor wrote: »

most of the thousands of people that review bombed it on metacritic a minute after launch I've always assumed never played it

Both things are true! TLOU2 got a ton of hate for having queer female protagonists that don't confirm to what "real gamers" think a woman should look like, and also got hate for including trans characters. TLOU2 was also made under awful crunch conditions, signifying that the game didn't have the best direction.

Edit: changed wording, original wording was bad.

Cruor on
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I also think Best Direction as a category refers to creative direction than direction of the production. Crunch is certainly a fair criticism towards the studio and the industry as a whole, though in the context of the award itself I took it to mean something akin to creative direction. Personally I think while not perfect, TLOU2 did a great job of essentially presenting a 'video game novel'. I think there are plenty of criticisms that can be leveled at the story and characters, but I also think it did a better job with it than a lot of other games that try to do the same such as Death Stranding. I think TLOU2's storytelling and direction is better than Kojima's for instance. Awards are always subjective, thats just my opinion on Best Direction. I haven't played Hades so for all I know it has better creative direction. If it was Best Production I would absolutely agree, it should be nominated for Worst Production because of the crunch

Zavian on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    TLOU2 had fucking awful direction

Literally every major plot beat was immediately followed with, "oh you want to see how this plot point plays out? *record scratch* Well first we're gonna grind everything to an absolute halt and bring you back to 3 days ago so you can spend the next 10 hours getting back to here"

Repeat 4 times

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    The game would have been way better if it was like 10 hours shorter

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Just because Keighley deigned Best Game Direction to be for "outstanding creative vision and innovation in game direction and design" does not absolve Naughty Dog for the means used to achieve that end. Unfortunately, the award will likely embolden mistreatment to continue.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    it's also that, again, on literally every metric being pointed out for how TLOU2 did well in "game direction," Hades did at a minimum exactly as well (and, I would argue, better), and they did it without abusing their employees

like nobody's even arguing that TLOU2 was *bad*, they're arguing that Hades was better at all the things TLOU2 won on except "has lots of polygons" and "did some sort of truly uncanny physics witchcraft with ropes"

Hades: better writing, better acting/voice acting, better directing of said actors, better LGBTQIA+ rep, more fun to play, WAY better art design & direction, just plain looks nicer

TLOU2: seriously that rope haunts me and it is an incredible technical achievement. like. what WAS that. how. i shudder to think of how many sleepless nights happened for the entire team to get that rope thing working.

a crazy ass witchcraft rope and high resolution photorealism do not a Game of the Year make, especially not when your employees were outright abused to make said crazy ass witchcraft rope and high resolution photorealism.

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Reading here and elsewhere about these awards the more I become convinced if Hades had been out on PS4 and Xbone it would have had the juice to snatch more awards.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    it's also that, again, on literally every metric being pointed out for how TLOU2 did well in "game direction," Hades did at a minimum exactly as well (and, I would argue, better), and they did it without abusing their employees

like nobody's even arguing that TLOU2 was *bad*, they're arguing that Hades was better at all the things TLOU2 won on except "has lots of polygons" and "did some sort of truly uncanny physics witchcraft with ropes"

Hades: better writing, better acting/voice acting, better directing of said actors, better LGBTQIA+ rep, more fun to play, WAY better art design & direction, just plain looks nicer

TLOU2: seriously that rope haunts me and it is an incredible technical achievement. like. what WAS that. how. i shudder to think of how many sleepless nights happened for the entire team to get that rope thing working.

a crazy ass witchcraft rope and high resolution photorealism do not a Game of the Year make, especially not when your employees were outright abused to make said crazy ass witchcraft rope and high resolution photorealism.

There's also the fact that Hades doesn't try to shame you for something you did in the game that the game gave you no choice but to do. That's an immediate thumbs down for me on a game.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

There's also the fact that Hades doesn't try to shame you for something you did in the game that the game gave you no choice but to do. That's an immediate thumbs down for me on a game.

“How could you? That hydra had a family!”

• Options
    Hades does a great job of encouraging you in general, which really helps when you're expected to die endlessly. (Which is normally something I hate.) Zero loading time, and then the first character you meet when you revive says something funny.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah it never really made fun of you for dying. Hades usually had a snark remark but that's his thing.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah it never really made fun of you for dying. Hades usually had a snark remark but that's his thing.

Plus his remarks are generally more creative than "man, you suck."