As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pokemon Go] Ultra Beast mode

• AdventAdvent Registered User regular
    Hunting rocket grunts for an Aerodactyl. ~.~ Last special research that’s open.

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Advent wrote: »
    Hunting rocket grunts for an Aerodactyl. ~.~ Last special research that’s open.

if you can find a "win 5 raids" field research that also gives you an Aerodactyl! Downside being that's a lot of raid passes, but might be easier than finding the right rocket grunt.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Wooo level 40!

So now what do I do?
    hfpb4st8kker.png

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    yeah im not looking forward to doing 30 raids... that said i do like the overall approach to making it more interactive than just straight XP grinding

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Wooo level 40!

So now what do I do?
    hfpb4st8kker.png

There's also apparently an upcoming new quest sequence for level 40 players that expires on 31st of December. One of the final rewards is an Archen.

• ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Excellent throws are currently awarding 2000xp! Tricky but worth going for if you need a boost.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    hey
    you should add me
    bwlavulsskql.png

for eternal happiness guaranteed*
    eternal happiness not actually guaranteed

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Okay, I'm getting a chuckle out of questgiver Jessie and James.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    I'm just glad I'm finally in Team Rocket.

i'm so happy with the ticketed Mr. Mime event
    I can NOT pay to NOT catch mr. Mimes! that's a win-win!

camo_sig2.png
    oh god catching a Kyogre was such a chore
    i spent a bit of cash with PokeRaids app and the remote passes, but finally have my Rayquaza.

camo_sig2.png
    groudon is by far the easier, with his hitbox being the size of the screen!

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    groudon is by far the easier, with his hitbox being the size of the screen!

Easier to hit with a ball but between the two he was the one that was all "Fuck you I break out of balls son!"

My wife got a shiny Ray so now we both have one. Family bonding!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    i fought 3 groudons, caught 3 groudons, all with the first few balls.
    fought 6 Kyogres, caught 2 kyogres, barely, almost ran out of balls.

camo_sig2.png
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Man, shiny sneasel looks like it’s coated in Pepto Bismol

:so_raven:
    This is why you evolve it into the face of prune juice.

feels like all shinnies are either pink, green and purple.

a couple of yellows and blues here and there

i did like pepto-sneasel tho

camo_sig2.png
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    A lot of the early gen Pokemon follow that pink/green/purple scheme for whatever reason. I'm still sad about shiny Cloyster - shiny Shellder is a nice yellow/gold color, and then Cloyster just becomes blue instead of purple. I want my goddamn golden Cloyster Gamefreak!

• ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Hi folks, I just wanted to say that I'm still playing the game though not quite as much lately.

I have a new starter that is known as human babby :) They take a lot of time to raise so I haven't had much time to dedicate to the pokemans lately.

I'll still check in for gifts and such but after spending a couple of weeks last year to grind out level 40 for the new year, I definitely felt like taking a break.

I'll still take friend requests of course, its certainly a good source of xp!

Friend code is 3875 3200 2441

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • AdventAdvent Registered User regular
    Congrats on the kiddo!

**Majicou in PGo.

• EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I don't play anymore, but my wife has continued the quest to catch them all. Tonight she caught her 100,000th pokemon!
    k5f0tan9xkbz.jpg

Evermourn on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I still don't have a Noivern, or those barnacles... or any Mega evolutions.

I got a Noivern! Looking forward to having the damn thing as my buddy for the next 47 years.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I recently started playing this again. I'm level 30 and the highest CP Pokemon I have is 3000. How on earth am I supposed to beat team rocket? All of their Pokemon are 6000+. I don't have enough potions and revives to keep doing this.

• pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    It's definitely hard at first, but the Grunts can be beaten with good typing match-ups. Their pre-battle boast gives an indication of what they're going to use - they'll mention how hot they are if they use fire pokes, or whatever - so you can tailor to that. (You can also just play one round with disposable weak pokemon just to find out what they use, but that's not always reliable for being able to find out what their final party member is.) The Grunts also don't use their shields, so you're guaranteed to be able to do more charged attacks than they are.

For the leaders and the boss, though, they really are hard. You'll need some strong team members for them.

Thanks. It sounds like I need to grind out some of my pokemon. I haven't played since 2018... Is there a way to heal other than potions?

urahonky wrote: »
    I recently started playing this again. I'm level 30 and the highest CP Pokemon I have is 3000. How on earth am I supposed to beat team rocket? All of their Pokemon are 6000+. I don't have enough potions and revives to keep doing this.

The thing about Rocket leaders is that it's not just about typing. In Pokemon Go, you'll want Pokemon with really fast charged attacks to burn through their shields. So, say, a Blaziken might be a better choice than a Moltres, for instance. Once their shields are down, you'll have no problem taking out a 6000cp mon with a 2000cp mon with the correct typing. But even then there will be a fair amount of trial and error depending on what their second or third mons are. And yes, you might need to power up as much as you can.

Honestly, Rocket leaders kinda suck. Here's a guide that might help, though.

Installed the game on my kids' tablets and walked around with them yesterday. They were so excited when a new Pokemon showed up lol.

none of my guys is above 3100, with type matchups you can beat any Rocket Team Grunt, Leader or Giovanni.

camo_sig2.png
    I gotta work on my typing knowledge then. I always have to pull out the chart because I can't remember anything beyond the gen 1 types.

anecdotally, machamp goes far in a lot of the rocket battles so if you've got 2/3 decently leveled machamps or metagross, you can brute force most battles. giovanni does require more work though. as folks said, type matchups with fast moves go a long way even if you're relatively underpowered, and will take some trial and error (and potions) unless you look up guides.

other things that are probably still good but type dependent (trying to stick to older stuff, since you said its been a while) - note that i dont pay attention to metas, so this is largely based off of what i've tried in the past:
    tyrannitar
    mewtwo (i think psychocut is the good fast move? and you'll want psychic/psystrike as the charge move, but if it already knows shadowball then keep those since it's legacy)
    giratina (origin form)
    gengar (i think?)
    blaziken was already mentioned
    golem sometimes, its faster than tyrannitar at least and youll probably have more of them

urahonky wrote: »
    I gotta work on my typing knowledge then. I always have to pull out the chart because I can't remember anything beyond the gen 1 types.

I highly recommend the Poke Genie app. Not only does it have a type effectiveness tool for both attacking and defending (which is a godsend for all the dual types out there), it lets you search for worldwide raids.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Rhyperior is a super good "budget" option for a big boi that wrecks shit, since Rhyhorns are a lot more common than Larvitars and legendaries and the like. But you need the special move (rock wrecker) for it to really shine, which means evolving it during the big Decemeber "all the special moves are back" week (do they still do those?)

There's a whole bunch of metas for what Pokes are good (best for rocket fights, best for raids, best for great/ultra league, etc) and there's resources for looking that stuff up if you poke around; I haven't done it in a while so I'm not sure where's up to date but the scene is active enough there should still be people tracking and spreading that info. Even if you're not going super hardcore competitive, knowing what's best so you can spend your limited time in getting it can make the content a lot easier to do efficiently.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    With beating the rocket leaders, if you google how to beat them, there are pages with breakdowns of how to beat each Pokémon they might have. Sometimes you can see what their first one Is going to Be by sacrificing some crappy Pokémon you just caught and would send to the professor anyways and then backing out of the battle.

edited May 2021
    I have not beaten Giovanni.
    I assumed I had to level purified Pokemon.

discrider on
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    unless they've reworked that system yet again, I don't think there's actually any point to using purified pokemon

in fact shadow pokemon are actually stronger (albeit more expensive to train, iirc)

edit: oh right purified pokemon are cheaper to train, that's right. but also they force you to use a TM bc return sucks

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Shadow Pokemon do and take more damage, and you can only replace Frustration during special events.

Shadow Pokemon also look cool, which is why my shiny shadow Weezing is always going to be my buddy.

He was surprisingly easy! Sierra was more trouble

edited May 2021
    Corvus wrote: »

He was surprisingly easy! Sierra was more trouble

His Persian just wrecks my first Pokemon, and then I'm down 1.5 pokes by the second.

And yeah, looks like Purified getting a multipler vs Shadow is a thing
    Just the multiplier has been set to 1x.

discrider on
    edited May 2021
    The biggest trick I utilize in Pokemon Rocket battles is this:

There's a 2-ish second lag where the opponent doesn't do anything right after: a) a Pokemon switches in, or b) a Pokemon uses a Charge move.

Couple that with a 'mon that has a really good Energy generating Fast move and a low-energy Charge move and you have a sort-of stun lock on the enemy.

Your point/first/vanguard pokemon (the one that will actually fight first) also double duties with a very important task - use up Team Rocket's shield. So it needs a fast charging move to take those out, for your other 'mons to bash heads in later unimpeded.

I usually leave this to my Poliwrath (but a Machamp would probably work as well). I put him in the 2nd position, and when the battle with Giovanni starts, immediately switch him in. This will give him a couple or three mudshots for basically free, charging the Dynamic Punch nearly halfway before Persian starts fighting back.

You can probably use Lucario here as well, with him having Counter and Power-up Punch, another quick charging fighting move perfect against Persian.

Wearingglasses on