As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - M

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »
    They had months of crunch for this?

Still, it's amusing that one of the bugs people have been seeing is the male PC's dick clipping through their pants. Don't let the holographic pants trend happen, everyone!

... why did they render your character's penis?

Enthusiasm from the fan base. It's not like there aren't various secondary sexual characteristics made pretty f'ing obvious (and for starters, you can see them in the mirror, which isn't always possible for your crotch).

When they first announced they'd be modeling genitals, people here were very much in approval (though I'm guessing they thought there would be more than 3 options). I thought it was tacky, but I assumed that meant I didn't "get punk", what with me being more of a post-cyberpunk guy anyway.

It’s something that can mean a lot to others. I don’t mind personally one way or the other but can appreciate other people wanting that amount of specificity regarding a character’s body and identity.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    Last night when I read this comic, the title was "Cyperpunk", which made sense. Now it's "M". Not sure I get that one.

Oh hey, my supposition that it was supposed to have been M.U.M. but got submitted early was correct. I feel like a genius.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »
    This is only a big deal because the success of the Witcher franchises has given rise to the false impressions that CD Projekt was a collection of extraplanar demi-gods, sent to this realm of existence to wash our unclean bodies with their golden rays of life in video game form.

If Todd Howard put Cyberpunk 2077 into market in this state, it would have been hailed as a triumph that Bethesda could release something with so few game-crippling bugs as to be relatively playable.

It is really weird how everyone rides CDPRs dick so hard. I didn't even like the witcher games. I do like cyberpunk, but that might just be because quickhacking is like the best implementation of magic in any rpg.

• Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    Note on the blogpost: I love the phrase "and this is definitions 3a *and* 3b".

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So can we assume from the newspost Mike was done with the game on release?

Jerry's thoughts read pretty brutally.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KasaixKasaix Registered User regular
    Do they sell that trophy somewhere? I know a few candidates who have earned it.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Woof, no kidding:
    Tycho wrote:
    It's incredible the amount of work the brilliant Witcher setting did for them, both as a basis and as a guide as they expanded the world. It's the difference between trying to make a show out of Game of Thrones as opposed to Dungeons & Dragons. It was a huge test for the studio. How'd they do? The training wheels came off and they fell on their fucking asses.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    The guy in this comic doesn't look at all like what Zero Punctuation has led me to believe the PC Master Race should look like.

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    I understand that it sucks it's such a mess on last gen hardware, but I don't get how someone can play this on a Series x or PS5 and say it looks like butt. For being the groady pile of vomit version it is still very pretty.

• Options
    ValorantValorant Registered User new member
    F off c**t ... i have had no issues on PC...

I've just finished the game with about 65 hours in, including every major side-quest available, and that's the biggest lie I have ever seen online. It's a complete and utter bullshit. I'm so sick of reading this over and over.

I have a 3080 and the city looks jaw-droppingly beautiful, especially at night. It sure has its magical moments in abundance, zooming between cars on a bike in full speed while electronic music blasts from the radio is almost a zen moment, it feels like actually being in a major blockbuster movie. Slicing and dicing people with my Mantis Blades never gets old, and some moments in the story and side missions are genuinely great and I've felt like a badass from a Cyberpunk 2020/Shadowrun more than once in my playthrough. But this game is a MESS.

Like Tycho, I won't bother to describe everything that's messed up in my playthrough or we could sit here all day, but this game is not remotely ready for showtime, not even close. It's much beyond the simple glitches and graphical hilarities you see online, the game is quite frankly broken. I've played large RPGs from small-time developers that had considerably more polish on release than this thing. This is a major multi-million AAA company, I would have been ashamed to even consider releasing something like this. It's like they didn't even bother to put a guy on a chair and tell him: "Play the game until you see something wrong and then let us know, alright?" even once,

Defending them at this point is just embarrassing, really.

• Options
    ValorantValorant Registered User new member
    If Todd Howard put Cyberpunk 2077 into market in this state, it would have been hailed as a triumph that Bethesda could release something with so few game-crippling bugs as to be relatively playable.

This, too, is a complete and utter nonsense.

I have suffered major bugs. Game breaking bugs. Bugs that were very easily detected from a very short playthrough. I'm not even talking about the crashes and glitches, but stuff like if you don't follow your quests exactly as they were planned they break. That's right, if you kill the dude, or find your target before you collect all the breadcrumbs on the way, even by mistake - you have to reload a previous save. And it happened to me so many times, on side and main quests. It doesn't even work properly from a narrative standpoint, characters tell me I did something when I haven't. Characters get angry with me about stuff that I haven't done and chose not to, actually. Why bother offering choice when you already assume all your players would do something exactly as you planned? That is just bad GM-ing, man.

It's just the tip of the iceberg, I've suffered a lot of major gameplay issues. The game is also disappointedly short, even with all of its side-quests included. It feels barebones for its scale, like a half empty wardrobe closet.

I'm a long time Bethesda player, I have well over 400 hours in all of their major titles, and I'm well aware of the state their games are at release, but not one of their games was this fundamentally broken, this badly.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Having genital options is, yes, obviously, important and something more games should include.

But I too am bewildered as to why you would render the penis while your character is wearing pants. It's just eating up unnecessary resources, being rendered while not visible. You could save all kinds of texture assets and load times by hiding the genital meshes while leg garments are rendering. Plus it would avoid these embarrassing and hilarious clipping issues.

Are they doing this for all the NPCs too? Are there a bunch of unnecessary dongs being loaded tantalizingly out of sight where you can't even look at them? That's just a huge waste of resources. I wonder if this is exacerbating issues with how it's running on consoles.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Having genital options is, yes, obviously, important and something more games should include.

But I too am bewildered as to why you would render the penis while your character is wearing pants. It's just eating up unnecessary resources, being rendered while not visible. You could save all kinds of texture assets and load times by hiding the genital meshes while leg garments are rendering. Plus it would avoid these embarrassing and hilarious clipping issues.

Are they doing this for all the NPCs too? Are there a bunch of unnecessary dongs being loaded tantalizingly out of sight where you can't even look at them? That's just a huge waste of resources. I wonder if this is exacerbating issues with how it's running on consoles.

To be fair, though, the engine itself shouldn't be rendering anything that's occluded. That's the way any decent 3d engine works. It's only when it clips through that it renders. Yes, there's going to be some overhead for it even existing in the 3d mesh, but not that much. And yes, you're just asking for clipping issues because 3d engine have never been THAT good about complying with reality where that's concerned.

• Options
    BillieVeeBillieVee Registered User regular
    I put off buying this game because I couldn't find a graphics card. That's starting to look like a blessing in disguise.

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    I put off buying this game because the Game of the Year edition will be 75% off on Steam in a few months.

• Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

Woof, no kidding:
    Tycho wrote:
    It's incredible the amount of work the brilliant Witcher setting did for them, both as a basis and as a guide as they expanded the world. It's the difference between trying to make a show out of Game of Thrones as opposed to Dungeons & Dragons. It was a huge test for the studio. How'd they do? The training wheels came off and they fell on their fucking asses.

The game is incredibly good and its release has been an utter mess. From the sounds of it I wouldn't play it on anything but PC right now, and even then a relatively good one.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I find myself checking out whenever I hear about a game that is supposed to be this massively wide experience where you can do laundry in real time with realistically rendered soap suds. That sort of scope just asks for bugs, and when the whole point of such excess is 100% authentic immersion, those bugs become way more noticeable. And even if somehow that sort of game manifested with no bugs at all, I'm just not interested in all that guff: there's no way I could appreciate it to the degree I would feel necessary for how much work went into it: especially since these games universally seem to be surrounded by stories of crunch.

My friend just picked up Red Dead 2, and while it sounds very impressive technically, whenever he talks about all the details and systems I just say to myself, "does that actually make the game more fun?" Meanwhile I'm playing through Hollow Knight for the second time, a game which I consider to be massive in scope but which accomplishes this through only a handful of systems working together, instead of eighteen different mechanics for picking flowers and skinning deer and hacking prostitutes.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I find myself checking out whenever I hear about a game that is supposed to be this massively wide experience where you can do laundry in real time with realistically rendered soap suds. That sort of scope just asks for bugs, and when the whole point of such excess is 100% authentic immersion, those bugs become way more noticeable. And even if somehow that sort of game manifested with no bugs at all, I'm just not interested in all that guff: there's no way I could appreciate it to the degree I would feel necessary for how much work went into it: especially since these games universally seem to be surrounded by stories of crunch.

My friend just picked up Red Dead 2, and while it sounds very impressive technically, whenever he talks about all the details and systems I just say to myself, "does that actually make the game more fun?" Meanwhile I'm playing through Hollow Knight for the second time, a game which I consider to be massive in scope but which accomplishes this through only a handful of systems working together, instead of eighteen different mechanics for picking flowers and skinning deer and hacking prostitutes.

In a game like RDR2 it helps make the world more immersive and characters feel more alive. The first helps to convey the different kinds of life in small towns vs. cities and makes the former vanishing in the face of the latter feel more meaningful. That last bit helps out in a game where the writing and characters make you feel things. So they don't necessarily make the game more fun given it's ultimately a tragedy but they amplify what you feel in a story you know isn't going to end well for the main characters.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited December 2020

In a game like RDR2 it helps make the world more immersive and characters feel more alive. The first helps to convey the different kinds of life in small towns vs. cities and makes the former vanishing in the face of the latter feel more meaningful. That last bit helps out in a game where the writing and characters make you feel things. So they don't necessarily make the game more fun given it's ultimately a tragedy but they amplify what you feel in a story you know isn't going to end well for the main characters.

It totally comes down to immersion. Like I've played RD2online since release and what helps me feel connected to my character (when they don't have bugs which still happen because rockstar online) is that towns feel like a town, people move around they do things, they acknowledge your character with a line or being afraid should you take your weapon out.

Its not enough anymore to just have fancier graphics in an open world game, I want a world to feel like a world, so yes it does make the game more fun because it lets me feel more connected to that world and less that I'm playing a game. Like I played AC Valhalla recently and that game doesn't have npcs that feel like they do something beyond waiting for me to murder them, so I felt less connected to anything I did and more I was just playing a game.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    That does make a lot of sense. Eventually I just feel like it gets to a point where there isn't a return on the investment. NPCs having motivations and schedules is good for immersion. But sometimes it feels like those motivations and schedules are just another thing to be gamed. Waiting for seven hours outside a door so I can wait for it to be opened kind of breaks my immersion.

And then you get to things that just seem like they are more for the sake of saying you did it than actually having an impact on the game. Seeing NPCs walk to the restroom every now and then will help with immersion. But having a discreet Bladder system that tracks when the NPC drank and how healthy their prostate is in order to calculate the ideal pee break is a bit much.

Of course I'm using hyperbole, but that's honestly what it sounds like when some of these games are described. And that's the type of stuff the game is sold on. And coincidentally the type of stuff that causes lots of bugs as well as abusive crunch.

• Options
    ThanatosiaThanatosia Registered User regular
    I've never really played any of the Witcher games, so have no real connection to CP going into Cyberpunk. But I gotta say, I'm enjoying the game. I am playing on a pretty good PC, so it's 100% possible I'd feel different if I was trying to do it on a Console, but the game seems pretty good to me. I have diffinately ran into bugs, but so far, just trivial annoyances, nothing significant or game-breaking for me. I went into the game hoping to get a new fix of Deus Ex, and it's largely hitting that for me. What clear flaws i've seen in it, I'm more then willing to forgive for the ambitiousness of what it's allowing me. Anyhow, guess I'll collect my MUM now.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    That does make a lot of sense. Eventually I just feel like it gets to a point where there isn't a return on the investment. NPCs having motivations and schedules is good for immersion. But sometimes it feels like those motivations and schedules are just another thing to be gamed. Waiting for seven hours outside a door so I can wait for it to be opened kind of breaks my immersion.

And then you get to things that just seem like they are more for the sake of saying you did it than actually having an impact on the game. Seeing NPCs walk to the restroom every now and then will help with immersion. But having a discreet Bladder system that tracks when the NPC drank and how healthy their prostate is in order to calculate the ideal pee break is a bit much.

Of course I'm using hyperbole, but that's honestly what it sounds like when some of these games are described. And that's the type of stuff the game is sold on. And coincidentally the type of stuff that causes lots of bugs as well as abusive crunch.

Most if not all the open world games I've played that have had store hours have also let you burglarize places so there was gameplay purpose for it. As a whole the open world games I've played that do lots of optional side stuff now also convey character and setting with it. The Tennis and Yoga side activities in GTA5 can be considered superfluous in a sense but they also communicated that Michael could actually get along with his wife if he spent time with her. Well the better ones do anyway, I certainly don't play all of them. Stuff like the rampage side activities in GTA where you had to go on a killing spree because you walked over an icon has largely fallen by the wayside.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Thanatosia wrote: »
    I've never really played any of the Witcher games, so have no real connection to CP going into Cyberpunk. But I gotta say, I'm enjoying the game. I am playing on a pretty good PC, so it's 100% possible I'd feel different if I was trying to do it on a Console, but the game seems pretty good to me. I have diffinately ran into bugs, but so far, just trivial annoyances, nothing significant or game-breaking for me. I went into the game hoping to get a new fix of Deus Ex, and it's largely hitting that for me. What clear flaws i've seen in it, I'm more then willing to forgive for the ambitiousness of what it's allowing me. Anyhow, guess I'll collect my MUM now.

@Thanatosia Saying you've had a good experience with it isn't obnoxious. Trying to invalidate other people's negative experiences is what makes the character in the comic the MUM.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    But having a discreet Bladder system that tracks when the NPC drank and how healthy their prostate is in order to calculate the ideal pee break is a bit much.

Don't tell Chris Roberts this.

• Options
    Blindspy4Blindspy4 Registered User new member
    Thanatosia wrote: »

I'm definitely in your boat - good PC and the game has a few (but no major) problems. I'm sorry that console owners are having such serious issues, but it kind of feels like I'm under attack here for... not having them? I also strongly disagree with Jerry's assessment that CDPR was only successful with the Witcher series because of the "training wheels" of a pre-built universe (aka a book series), and that they "fell on their asses" as a result of not having said training wheels. I think the universe and stories they created in the new game are extremely compelling and rich, but the bugs and performance issues are hampering people's ability to be immersed. If anyone is reading this and on the fence about whether or not to try Cyberpunk 2077, I would urge you to do so - just maybe not on an Xbox One or PS4. And also maybe in a few months once they release their major patches.

TL:DR - I think it's a fucking fantastic game with a beautiful, well-imagined universe and impactful stories that outgrew the hardware it was initially targeted for. Play it on a good PC or when you get your hands on a PS5/Series X - you won't regret it.

• Options
    curefor mecurefor me Registered User new member
    Just so we're clear; Genshin Impact has penny arcade's seal of approval but this game does not.
    Genshin Impact.
    A game about lolis.
    Maybe Gabe and Tycho aren't exactly the barometer they used to be.
    I won't list examples cause we'll be here all day.
    Oh wait. I just did.

• Options
    To be fair, Gabe and Tycho have never been a barometer for "great" games. They just talk about games they like. And conversely, games they don't.

Which is probably what we should all get back to doing once this most recent disaster of the century of the year this week today blows over with Cyberpunk.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Look, this is an important next step in any shooter, and this is what our hardware should evolve towards supporting.

We shoot enemies in the dick in fps games. That's just how it is.

And now, we know there's a dick there to shoot.

Truly, we live in blessed times.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    BillieVeeBillieVee Registered User regular
    Blindspy4 wrote: »
    I also strongly disagree with Jerry's assessment that CDPR was only successful with the Witcher series because of the "training wheels" of a pre-built universe (aka a book series), and that they "fell on their asses" as a result of not having said training wheels. I think the universe and stories they created in the new game are extremely compelling and rich, but the bugs and performance issues are hampering people's ability to be immersed.

Cyberpunk 2077 takes place in an established universe, no? I never played the tabletop game so I'm not aware of how closely it follows that lore.

• Options
    curefor mecurefor me Registered User new member
    To be fair, Gabe and Tycho have never been a barometer for "great" games. They just talk about games they like. And conversely, games they don't.

Which is probably what we should all get back to doing once this most recent disaster of the century of the year this week today blows over with Cyberpunk.

Speaking of tools, haha.

• Options
    I'd also like to add, on the note of "people liking stuff they like," that there's an alternate universe where Tycho loves Cyberpunk 2077 and we get this:
    0u3jznujvd1m.png

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    curefor me wrote: »

Speaking of tools, haha.

Now I'm thinking we need a shopped version of the comic with "Silly Goose" on it...

• Options
    Just so we're clear; Genshin Impact has penny arcade's seal of approval but this game does not.
    Genshin Impact.
    A game about lolis.
    Maybe Gabe and Tycho aren't exactly the barometer they used to be.
    I won't list examples cause we'll be here all day.
    Oh wait. I just did.

c9zg7lek93dd.png

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Speaking of tools, haha.

You should probably read the rules thread in the subforum "Read this before you post" before you post.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Too late now

• Options
    edited December 2020
    BillieVee wrote: »
    I also strongly disagree with Jerry's assessment that CDPR was only successful with the Witcher series because of the "training wheels" of a pre-built universe (aka a book series), and that they "fell on their asses" as a result of not having said training wheels. I think the universe and stories they created in the new game are extremely compelling and rich, but the bugs and performance issues are hampering people's ability to be immersed.

Cyberpunk 2077 takes place in an established universe, no? I never played the tabletop game so I'm not aware of how closely it follows that lore.

Right, but as Tycho said in the newspost, there's a big difference between adapting a novel series (like Game of Thrones, or the Witcher), and making your own campaign in an established tabletop RPG setting (like D&D, or Cyberpunk 2020). Tycho's saying the latter is more challenging, and CDPR failed to live up to it. Blindspy4 disagrees that they fell short.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Blindspy4Blindspy4 Registered User new member
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    BillieVee wrote: »

Right, but as Tycho said in the newspost, there's a big difference between adapting a novel series (like Game of Thrones, or the Witcher), and making your own campaign in an established tabletop RPG setting (like D&D, or Cyberpunk 2020). Tycho's saying the latter is more challenging, and CDPR failed to live up to it. Blindspy4 disagrees that they fell short.

That was a good summary, and indeed the stance I took. Thanks :)

• Options
    palidine40palidine40 Registered User regular
    I think the real moral of story is that people will always complain about something as soon as they can. Sometimes if there's not a strong enough PR department/campaign, things like this can snowball. The updates have heavily helped it run much better on the older systems. And as the world continues to get bigger, and more connected, it only takes 1% of the 4 million+ consumers of a game to fill a roaring stadium of 40,000 people to angrily scream and be heard. The worlds getting bigger, we need to tune our ears/expectations.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I'd also like to add, on the note of "people liking stuff they like," that there's an alternate universe where Tycho loves Cyberpunk 2077 and we get this:
    0u3jznujvd1m.png

I don't have any boat in the race for Cyberpunk, but yeah I think this is why this comic falls flat for me. This comic seems to be gently lampooning "Let me type in the internet why your video game opinion is bad and wrong", followed by a post by Tycho explaining why other people's opinions on this video game are bad and wrong.

Though on a personal level, I'm definitely over defending game studios for obvious missteps. If your game isn't ready for release delay release, it's fine, push the release date out, we'll live without your video game for a few more months.

Of course it would also help if you understood that crunch is bad for production, but no triple A studio has figured that one out yet.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Eh I think the thing they are lampooning is someone acting like their individual experience with a product not having problems means everyone complaining about a product isn't having problems or that their problems aren't valid. Like that's what makes them a useless motherfucker, not for liking or disliking a game, but for acting like the issues are some how the fault of others for buying it on the wrong platform.

pleasepaypreacher.net