As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PC Build Thread] Nope, you still can't buy anything

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    That new Linus Tech Tips holiday guide is pretty dire, considering the scarcity of hardware. They didn't even go beyond 2 grand this year.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • NumiNumi Registered User regular
    Spent part of the weekend moving everything around and doing some basic cable management for the first time in forever. While it was primarily done for ease of cleaning it does look quite a bit better without the massive spiderweb of cables in plain sight.

252525.jpg

• NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    That new Linus Tech Tips holiday guide is pretty dire, considering the scarcity of hardware. They didn't even go beyond 2 grand this year.

It was interesting how little he sugar coated it too. There truly are just no GPUs out there. Not this gen. Not last gen. Hardly the gen before that. And the prices on the used market are totally out of whack.

• sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    5900x and a 3080. Should I get a 750W or 850W PSU?

Mind you I don't actually have a 3080, but I'm trying to see into the future and plan for whatever comes after the 3080 at a comparable price/power point.

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I'd go with the 850. I'd always rather have a little more than I actually need to keep the PSU under stressed.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    spono wrote: »

Mind you I don't actually have a 3080, but I'm trying to see into the future and plan for whatever comes after the 3080 at a comparable price/power point.

750 is more than ample, so long as you aren't looking to do overclocking olympics, put 5+ hard drives in there, or fill your case with 150W of RGB nonsense.

Needing more than 750W for single GPU builds nowadays is limited to things like the 3090

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

I'm gonna be straight up with you

If you're looking at 850, you might as well step it up to 1000.

Why?

Price isn't hugely different, a 1000W PSU will run cooler at the same wattage that an 850W will, and it will run more efficient. If you keep this PSU for 10 years, you will more than make up the price difference in the intervening time.

Plus you won't have to ask yourself if you have enough power... unless you start getting into some crazy shit.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

I'm gonna be straight up with you

If you're looking at 850, you might as well step it up to 1000.

Why?

Price isn't hugely different, a 1000W PSU will run cooler at the same wattage that an 850W will, and it will run more efficient. If you keep this PSU for 10 years, you will more than make up the price difference in the intervening time.

Plus you won't have to ask yourself if you have enough power... unless you start getting into some crazy shit.

1000W will also put your typical (read: not high) usage draw into a range where the fan might not even kick on. I've been living with that for the past number of years and it's delightful.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    The 5900x, a 3080, 1 nvme and 1 SATA SSD, 32 GB of RAM, 6 case fans and a 240mm AIO water cooler just for the hell of it clocks in at a load wattage of 538, with them suggesting a 600W power supply so you can have 10% headroom.

750W is closer to 30% headroom.

There isn't anything wrong with buying more than you need, but just making it super clear - you do NOT need an 850 with that build.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    The 5900x, a 3080, 1 nvme and 1 SATA SSD, 32 GB of RAM, 6 case fans and a 240mm AIO water cooler just for the hell of it clocks in at a load wattage of 538, with them suggesting a 600W power supply so you can have 10% headroom.

There isn't anything wrong with buying more than you need, but just making it super clear - you do NOT need an 850 with that build.

You don't

But there's benefits to running an 850-1000 watt PSU with a 550 watt load, like not stressing the PSU, the PSU running extremely efficiently and as a result not dumping extra waste heat into the case.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

You don't

But there's benefits to running an 850-1000 watt PSU with a 550 watt load, like not stressing the PSU, the PSU running extremely efficiently and as a result not dumping extra waste heat into the case.

It's a mixed bag. Load efficiency and temperatures will be better, idle efficiencies and temperature will probably be a little worse. Up-front expense obviously will be higher. I personally prefer 20%+ margin, and I have in the past hooked up 5 spinning rust HDDs + 1 bluray drive in addition to everything else, so overbuilding on the PSU IMO makes sense. But YMMV. 10% is too close to the edge for my tastes, especially as the unit ages. But again, YMMV.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Basically, I'd look at it as a "if you're not breaking the bank, this is a nice option for a few extra bucks which has side benefits. If budget is tighter, though, better to get closer to what you need and get better benefit for your money elsewhere."

Well I'm glad we're all on the same page lol

To get more specific, here's what's in the box:

5900x, mild overclock, assuming 150W
    3080 equivalent, assuming 350W
    2x SATA HDD, assume 10W each
    2x SATA SSD, assume 5W each
    1x NVME M.2, assume 5W (total guess)
    3x 120mm fans, assume 10W each
    2x 140mm fans, assume 10W each
    X570 Mobo, assume 50W (total guess)
    Optical drive, assume 20W (very rarely used, not worth considering for calcs since it won't be used when loading the GPU)

Anything look wonky in the assumed loads?

640qocnq4ske.gif
    edited December 2020
    Also, and I want to stress this to make sure everyone is listening

DO. NOT. CHEAP. OUT. ON. PSUS.

EVER.

Get something Gold or Plat certified. Read some reviews (or ask us! I know enough about PSU power delivery and capacitors to parse a review!) and find out if it's rocking chinese liquid capacitors or japanese solid capacitors (Hint: You want the solid caps).

Do not be afraid to skimp on your RGB or go down a bit in a case and get a good PSU. It's the single most important part of your entire PC, because it's also the only part of your PC that can take down every single other component if you cheap out and get a bargain basement backalley unit.

Companies who make excellent hardware and prebuilts like Maingear and even Apple use top shelf shit for a reason.

jungleroomx on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    So I was looking into the feasibility of upgrading my current machine into something that maybe might be able to theoretically run CP77 on the cheap

and it's just not there.

Old i7s are fucking expensive and going for midrange wouldn't help because i'm limited by my old ass socket

similarly buying like 2x4GB of good quality old DDR3 ram is not much cheaper than buying 2x8 brand new DDR4 sticks

and the video card market is absolutely fucked

so yeah

fun

fuck gendered marketing
    Elldren wrote: »
    So I was looking into the feasibility of upgrading my current machine into something that maybe might be able to theoretically run CP77 on the cheap

and it's just not there.

Old i7s are fucking expensive and going for midrange wouldn't help because i'm limited by my old ass socket

similarly buying like 2x4GB of good quality old DDR3 ram is not much cheaper than buying 2x8 brand new DDR4 sticks

and the video card market is absolutely fucked

so yeah

fun

The PC building market is just turbofucked right now.

It's not just the GPU's. Even those fucking Lian Li UNI case fans and Corsair HL120's are being bought and resold by scalpers for double the list price.

Just, everything is shit and I really hate this.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »

It was interesting how little he sugar coated it too. There truly are just no GPUs out there. Not this gen. Not last gen. Hardly the gen before that. And the prices on the used market are totally out of whack.

With pricing being what it is I thought about selling my 2080 and getting a 3090 figuring they'd be easier than a 3080 and the sale of my gpu would make up the price difference... Welp looks like my model is selling for ~$650 and the 3090 I'd be interested in sold out and is ~$1800 so uh no thanks.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    It's been a gross positive feedback loop. New GPU's worth buying, followed up by AMD releasing the best consumer CPU's to date, combined with the most anticipated game of probably the last 10 years (which needs all that hardware), with a sprinkle of pandemic and everyone needing inside entertainment sources...and you have a shit pie of PC building.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Need a double check here. Looking at grabbing an SSD for my sister-in-law as a gift, but I don't know the specs on the rest of her machine. If I get an M.2, that could still use the standard (SATA?) connections, right? Think that's what I'm seeing on google but wanted to ask out loud somewhere and make sure I'm thinking about it right. Nothing worse than a xmas gift you can't use.

edited December 2020
    Bobble wrote: »
    Need a double check here. Looking at grabbing an SSD for my sister-in-law as a gift, but I don't know the specs on the rest of her machine. If I get an M.2, that could still use the standard (SATA?) connections, right? Think that's what I'm seeing on google but wanted to ask out loud somewhere and make sure I'm thinking about it right. Nothing worse than a xmas gift you can't use.

M.2 drives require M.2 adapters; they are not compatible with your bog standard SATA connector.

If you can find out what motherboard she has, we can look up what adapters it has. Alternatively you can get a PCIE card that will adapt to M.2.

Orca on
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    The 2004 Doom 3 Machine has begun assembly. The used case I got off Facebook is... quirky. But nothing a drillbit can't fix. Just have the PSU, SSD, DVD drive, and one out of two 120mm fans mounted. The other fan is going to require widening some mounting holes. I guess the case expects a water radiator and only a water radiator to be mounted in the front. But I've never used water cooling in my life, and I'm not about to start on a retro build.

CPU/Mobo get here tomorrow if tracking is to be believed. The Audigy 2 ZS, RAM and Radeon 9800 generously donated by Bullhead arrive the day after, once again, if tracking is to be believed.

At some point a Geforce 6800 GT is going in there, because it's what I have my heart truly set on. It's the card I lusted after to run Doom 3 as well as it could possibly be run way back in 2004.

Hell, Doom 3 was my Cyberpunk 2077 back in the day. Shame it didn't age as well, monster closets and all. But at the time, I couldn't imagine being more excited for a game, and having a brand spanking new PC built just to run as well as HardOCP said it could be run made me feel all kinds of special and fulfilled.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Another day, another hilarious newegg 3080 drop

in lighter news, I implemented the cyberpunk 2077 amd core fix and my utilization went up from a flat 50% to 80-100%, so that's funny as hell

looks like it came with 10+ extra frames on medium/high settings at 1440p with RT reflections on

edited December 2020
    Welp, at some point the 10 TB WD Elements drives stop being WD100EMAZ and switched to WD101EDAZ. So much for that nice, quiet helium filled drive. These bastards are quite a bit louder. :(

Orca on
    Rius wrote: »
    Another day, another hilarious newegg 3080 drop

in lighter news, I implemented the cyberpunk 2077 amd core fix and my utilization went up from a flat 50% to 80-100%, so that's funny as hell

looks like it came with 10+ extra frames on medium/high settings at 1440p with RT reflections on

Have you turned screenspace reflections off?

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    It's pretty bad when someone puts up a 1650 on OfficeMax as a joke and I look at it and go, "Hmm well but maybe that would tide me over...."

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    It's been a gross positive feedback loop. New GPU's worth buying, followed up by AMD releasing the best consumer CPU's to date, combined with the most anticipated game of probably the last 10 years (which needs all that hardware), with a sprinkle of pandemic and everyone needing inside entertainment sources...and you have a shit pie of PC building.

Dont forget the vastly reduced global manufacturing capacity for most of the year

fuck gendered marketing

Optical drive, assume 20W (very rarely used, not worth considering for calcs since it won't be used when loading the GPU)

those are very, VERY padded.

120mm fan is closer to 3-4W, the x570 chipset/mobo is much closer to 10W, maybe less.

~10W for a SATA HDD non SSD is about right, though. and A fully peaked 5900x will hit 142, with overclocking carrying it to 150 so you are spot on there. Same with the GPU, which is 320W, so 350 feels like the right amount of padding.

So, all of that said, your build is closer to 591W at load, 650W should be your barest minimum, 750 recommended, 850 if you are being generous, and 1000 if you have money to burn and want to have the PSU fan not spin most of the time.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    It's aliiiiiive!
    cgcOcoI.jpg?1

It took a while to figure out mounting the reservoir (Yes, that's a HAF932 Advanced. No, I will not get a new case), but after that was actually pretty easy setup.

I opened up Horizon: Zero Dawn and set the graphics to "yes, please" to see how it faired and, well:
    YDsY6Ej.jpg?1
    (I have a 100 Hz monitor)
    Full size here:
    https://i.imgur.com/bMG9uxj.jpg?1

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    V1m: Man I would really like to get a sweet new GPU in November for playing Cyperpunk 2077 when it launches in December

AMD: Uh, yeah... We might have slightly decided to launch 4 new product lines all at once and they're all using the same strictly finite TSMC 7nm resource. Maybe check back around February or March?

CDPR: Don't worry, Cyberpunk 2077 is a bug-infested and probably won't be playable until March anyway!

Well I guess this is a happy ending? Thanks, CDPR?

So, liquid cooling people - what kind of temperatures should I expect my 5800x be running at? I fired up OCCT Linpack and it ran at 4.5GHz all-core, but the temp was 85C. Seems high? A little scared to overclock with those numbers.

I can't even get the GPU to break 45C under full load, though. The Gigabyte pre-built waterblock seems to be doing well so far.

--Mark Twain
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    V1m: Man I would really like to get a sweet new GPU in November for playing Cyperpunk 2077 when it launches in December

AMD: Uh, yeah... We might have slightly decided to launch 4 new product lines all at once and they're all using the same strictly finite TSMC 7nm resource. Maybe check back around February or March?

CDPR: Don't worry, Cyberpunk 2077 is a bug-infested and probably won't be playable until March anyway!

Well I guess this is a happy ending? Thanks, CDPR?

Mmmm... Cyberpunk is so fun right now though. :razz:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    How do people even cable manage? I just stuff them behind the desk and try not to think about it too much.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Durinia wrote: »
    So, liquid cooling people - what kind of temperatures should I expect my 5800x be running at? I fired up OCCT Linpack and it ran at 4.5GHz all-core, but the temp was 85C. Seems high? A little scared to overclock with those numbers.

I can't even get the GPU to break 45C under full load, though. The Gigabyte pre-built waterblock seems to be doing well so far.

That's very high on the CPU but how many and what size radiators are you running? It looks like you have one 360mm which is just barely enough for a CPU + GPU loop. If you can I'd add another 240, 280, or 360 if you have space. Generally it's 120mm per component and another 120mm per component if overclocking. However, the more radiator space you can run the better which also leads to the more radiator space the lower speed you can run your fans at.

What are you idling at and what are the temperatures when gaming? Are you able to see what the ambient temperature in the room is? What is the temperature of the liquid in the loop under load and how many degrees over ambient is it? What speed are you running the fans at and what percentage speed is your pump running at? Are you sure you peeled off the clear sticker on the bottom of the CPU block and is the mounting right (not screwed down far enough, finger tight is good enough)?

Linpack is going to stress you CPU far more than 'normal' use ever will but those temperatures are just too high. You may just need to turn up the speed of your fans but keeping the water pump at around 50-60% is more than sufficient. If your temps when gaming are in the 60 degree range then you're pretty much fine. You realistically just need more radiators if you want to keep the fans under 1000-1200 rpm under load with a single 360mm radiator.

I'd also see if your motherboard has a temperature input (I can't tell which Gigabyte motherboard you have) which you can then add a temperature sensor to you loop and monitor what the water temperature is. Ideally, you want to keep is no more than 15-20 (20 at the absolute max) over the ambient temperature of the room. Look into the Aquacomputer monitoring solutions like the Quadro, Octo, or Aquaero, but you motherboard may offer similar levels of control but not as refined. As dead set as you are on the case and how what noise level you're comfortable with, a more modern case with accommodation for multiple radiators is going to be worth it in the long run. Your case does have ports at the top for an external radiator so Watercool MO-RA radiators would also be a good option https://modmymods.com/radiators/extreme-radiators.html

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    edited December 2020
    Cormac wrote: »
    Durinia wrote: »

That's very high on the CPU but how many and what size radiators are you running? It looks like you have one 360mm which is just barely enough for a CPU + GPU loop. If you can I'd add another 240, 280, or 360 if you have space. Generally it's 120mm per component and another 120mm per component if overclocking. However, the more radiator space you can run the better which also leads to the more radiator space the lower speed you can run your fans at.

What are you idling at and what are the temperatures when gaming? Are you able to see what the ambient temperature in the room is? What is the temperature of the liquid in the loop under load and how many degrees over ambient is it? What speed are you running the fans at and what percentage speed is your pump running at? Are you sure you peeled off the clear sticker on the bottom of the CPU block and is the mounting right (not screwed down far enough, finger tight is good enough)?

Linpack is going to stress you CPU far more than 'normal' use ever will but those temperatures are just too high. You may just need to turn up the speed of your fans but keeping the water pump at around 50-60% is more than sufficient. If your temps when gaming are in the 60 degree range then you're pretty much fine. You realistically just need more radiators if you want to keep the fans under 1000-1200 rpm under load with a single 360mm radiator.

I'd also see if your motherboard has a temperature input (I can't tell which Gigabyte motherboard you have) which you can then add a temperature sensor to you loop and monitor what the water temperature is. Ideally, you want to keep is no more than 15-20 (20 at the absolute max) over the ambient temperature of the room. Look into the Aquacomputer monitoring solutions like the Quadro, Octo, or Aquaero, but you motherboard may offer similar levels of control but not as refined. As dead set as you are on the case and how what noise level you're comfortable with, a more modern case with accommodation for multiple radiators is going to be worth it in the long run. Your case does have ports at the top for an external radiator so Watercool MO-RA radiators would also be a good option https://modmymods.com/radiators/extreme-radiators.html

Thanks, this is helpful.

Yes, I have a single 360mm. Looking right now (just been on a zoom call for an hour so not exactly idle), it's reporting about 45C on the CPU with the GPU (and my loop water temp) at about 33C - the Corsair pump/res I have includes a built-in loop temperature probe, and I have their hub that monitors/controls the curves vs loop temp. Ambient is about 24C.

When doing that Linpack run, the loop stabilized at around 38C and the fans weren't running 100%. I actually turned everything all the way up at one point to make sure it wasn't an exhaust issue - it really does seem like maybe I didn't get the block mounted well. The corsair block comes in a package that includes pre-applied thermal paste, so maybe that didn't land right.

(edit) just ran around CP2077 for 5 minutes and it's sitting at 70+. Something not right, methinks.

Durinia on
    --Mark Twain

those are very, VERY padded.

120mm fan is closer to 3-4W, the x570 chipset/mobo is much closer to 10W, maybe less.

~10W for a SATA HDD non SSD is about right, though. and A fully peaked 5900x will hit 142, with overclocking carrying it to 150 so you are spot on there. Same with the GPU, which is 320W, so 350 feels like the right amount of padding.

So, all of that said, your build is closer to 591W at load, 650W should be your barest minimum, 750 recommended, 850 if you are being generous, and 1000 if you have money to burn and want to have the PSU fan not spin most of the time.

Thanks for the sanity check @syndalis

My plan is to pack my lunch for the next two weeks instead of eating out, which should net me the $40 difference between the 750W I'd budgeted for and the 850W I'll plan on buying.

1kW just seems insane to me, but I'll look at the prices and see if I can swing it. My CPU is scheduled to arrive this Sunday, so it's time to get shopping.

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    How do people even cable manage? I just stuff them behind the desk and try not to think about it too much.

i've been staring at stuff like this for a while https://www.amazon.com/Updated-Channel-Cable-Raceway-Management/dp/B07Q8QN5CB
    they also make ones that hook under a desk, etc.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    i just take a roll of velcro tape and go to town. cables that run together get bound together, any excess runs get bundled together out of sight

I know I like overkill, but even for me, 1 kilowatt is overkill for anything halfway reasonable. 850 provides more than enough overhead honestly.

Unless you're getting it at a really good price, I wouldn't bother.

Oh for fucks sake, of course the RAM I was gonna buy is $10 more today than it was for the last two weeks. Thanks newegg!

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Oh for fucks sake, of course the RAM I was gonna buy is $10 more today than it was for the last two weeks. Thanks newegg!

Maybe you can find it cheaper in a combo deal of RAM and a 3080..... and then return the 3080. :razz:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
This discussion has been closed.