As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Senna1 wrote: »
    Man, the Pixel lineup this year is confusing AF. Depending on who you talk to, any of the 4a, 4a 5G, or 5 is 'obviously' the one to buy, and best value. My Pixel 2 still "feels" like a premium phone in the hand and to use, and I like nearly everything about it - except that the battery is down to 50% health and now won't make it through a full day without recharging. I'm sure the 4a is a "good enough" replacement option, but it somehow still feels like a downgrade - that I have to pay for.

I'm very tempted to try the notoriously tricky battery replacement on my Pixel 2. If I toast the screen though, I don't think it's worth replacing.

My understanding is that they had a larger lineup originally planned, with 5G and a variants across the board, but had to scrap several models due to the coronavirus epidemic.

I agree though it's pretty confusing. The difficult choice is probably between the 4a 5G and the 5. If you don't want 5G then it's really hard to pass up the value proposition from the 4a given it's so cheap you can literally just buy one and use it for a year or so and then buy a "premium" phone later - you likely will have saved money over the long term.

Frankly, I really hate that phone companies have moved towards this planned obsolescence model, particularly with regards to security/software updates. At this point I refuse to buy a high-end phone because I likely can't depend on it being safe or secure to use after 2 years regardless of how much I paid for it.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    FWIW after a few months I'm perfectly happy with my Pixel 4a swap from the Pixel 2. My only real complaints are how some music apps seem kind of buggy with Android 11 and the lock screen (the music player controls just straight up disappearing at times), and the fact Google Play Music was shot in the back and buried in a ditch for YouTube Music which doesn't even work as a local file playing app.

Seems like every music app I try has some issue with it, often different ones.

DoubleTwist (I forget what the issue this had, besides the initial crashing in Android 11 before they fixed that), Poweramp (fiddly stock settings, takes time to get set up to way you like it, issues showing up on lock screen & with album art), Pulsar (issues reading metadata tags)

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Spotify is still...spotty (sorry) and has the same issues. Half the time the controls don't show up or disappear and I have to kill the app.

I 100% blame Android on this one. They didn't have to fuck with music apps; everything was working fine.

Pocketcasts seems to be playing a bit nicer but it isn't immune. I wonder if it could be persuaded to work with music files?

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    How many people are having these problems? I'm seeing none of them on my Pixel 4XL so far. I just Spotify and PocketCasts, both notifications show up with their controls in the top, I just swipe left or right to switch between them.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited November 2020
    I think hiding music players in the notification shade even when the phone is locked is really bad UI

Like, if I get a random song in my collection playing and I want to know what it is, I have to turn on the screen and pull down the slide to even see what's playing (not all the time, but it happens enough that it really annoys me. I assume its an Android 11 + app bug but it shouldn't be happening).

Naphtali on
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Man, the Pixel lineup this year is confusing AF. Depending on who you talk to, any of the 4a, 4a 5G, or 5 is 'obviously' the one to buy, and best value. My Pixel 2 still "feels" like a premium phone in the hand and to use, and I like nearly everything about it - except that the battery is down to 50% health and now won't make it through a full day without recharging. I'm sure the 4a is a "good enough" replacement option, but it somehow still feels like a downgrade - that I have to pay for.

I'm very tempted to try the notoriously tricky battery replacement on my Pixel 2. If I toast the screen though, I don't think it's worth replacing.

I think the naming of the devices is the issue the a series is associated with low spec/price compared to main line Pixel phones but this years 4a 5G is so similar to the 5 in specs. The actual phone lineup is well streamlined with only an "XL" variant to the 5 really missing for what Google are intending.

For decisions, I'd say the biggest issue Pixel devices have in general is build quality of handsets and the 4a 5G and 5 do have some issues at the moment (the 5 especially needs the screen separation issue sorting) but the 4a is probably one of the most solid built phones ive seen this year. Also it feels like a good enough upgrade to the 2 without feeling like you are overspending for the privilege.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod

This is a good chunk of why I just bought an iPhone this time.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I have enjoyed my pixels, but I will probably move back to a samsung phone when I am done with my pixel 4.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I really wish there was some kind of impetus for phone makers to make phones that can survive being dropped. Or to create their own disposable cases that work like bicycle helmets - you get one crash and then you get a new one. I feel like it's a big missed space, with all these cheap phone cases out on the market.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I really wish there was some kind of impetus for phone makers to make phones that can survive being dropped. Or to create their own disposable cases that work like bicycle helmets - you get one crash and then you get a new one. I feel like it's a big missed space, with all these cheap phone cases out on the market.

There are absolutely phone makers who make rugged phones designed for that use case.

Unless you mean all phones should be designed that way, in which case I can't agree. Not a fan of sacrificing sleek design or paying extra when I don't drop my phone.

• Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    I have dropped every smartphone I've ever owned onto a hard surface like asphalt or tile, at least once in the 2-3 years I keep them. They all have lived in cases and survived without damage, thankfully.

I really don't get the fawning over $1000 phones made out of all glass because they're "sleek". 99% of those I see out in the wild are in cases, and/or shattered. I have always purchased aluminum-bodied phones when possible.
    Ziggymon wrote: »

I think the naming of the devices is the issue the a series is associated with low spec/price compared to main line Pixel phones but this years 4a 5G is so similar to the 5 in specs. The actual phone lineup is well streamlined with only an "XL" variant to the 5 really missing for what Google are intending.

For decisions, I'd say the biggest issue Pixel devices have in general is build quality of handsets and the 4a 5G and 5 do have some issues at the moment (the 5 especially needs the screen separation issue sorting) but the 4a is probably one of the most solid built phones ive seen this year. Also it feels like a good enough upgrade to the 2 without feeling like you are overspending for the privilege.
    I put my hands on a 4a over the weekend, and I think I agree. Inside a case, I'll never notice the materials difference(s) between it and my 2. It really comes down to losing the IP rating, which I've only ever needed in theory.

I'd seriously consider a Galaxy S20 FE, if I hadn't come to like running stock Android and getting continuous updates (including new features) directly from Google so much.

Dhalphir wrote: »

There are absolutely phone makers who make rugged phones designed for that use case.

Unless you mean all phones should be designed that way, in which case I can't agree. Not a fan of sacrificing sleek design or paying extra when I don't drop my phone.

I think it's less "this phone should survive everything intact so wrap it in 20 layers of concrete and rubber" and more "this phone is explicitly designed to have case contact points which support a disposable case design that will shatter upon impact but leave the phone intact". Imagine old-school bumpers but for your phone instead of your car.

A pipe dream, I know. But a man can dream.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Do you guys have any recommendations for a good phone VPN. I don't really trust the free ones all that much and I figure using the Google VPN is redundant.

Why do you want one? If you want to get around region stuff I hear ok things about Nord. But if you're doing it for privacy... I don't really trust any of them.

• BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Hi thread, been a huge Pixel fan, and just replaced my 2XL with a Pixel 5, with an eye to letting my wife take that and moving to a 5XL or a hopefully more premium phone when Google revisits that product segment. Spoiler for story.
    I pre-ordered the Pixel 5 for $799 CAD (not a huge fan of pre-ordering, but in my defense... I really wanted this phone), and received the phone on Nov 5. Sweet, no separation issues, just a nice phone, with a higher refresh rate screen and larger battery. However, I just got an e-mail from google saying that the Pixel 5 is going on sale for $50 off... Their current pricing of $699 CAD. This seems weird, so I contact Google and they say, "Yep, pricing has gone down. If you'd like, contact us once the sale goes live, and we'll refund you the the difference."
    kafumza4ztmm.jpg

I'm of two minds here. It's REALLY great that Google will honour their new pricing, but

a) What the fuck, dropping the price of something so expensive that lasts most people at least a year, often more like 2-4 years with an absolutely TINY window to capitalize, and
    b) What the actual fuck, loyal customers who pre-ordered your new phone gets the worst pricing by more than 18%, and within TWO WEEKS of shipping your new product? HOW

I'm considering sending the phone back so I can get the sage colour, as I know my wife would prefer that, but at least the $150 would be awesome to have back in our pockets. This phone is an absolute STEAL at $650 CAD though.

TL;DR - If you've bought a phone recently (ESPECIALLY PIXEL PHONES), check for current pricing and Black Friday sales, and see if your carrier/supplier will match pricing, or consider returning and re-ordering. I would absolutely switch back to my 2XL for a few weeks in order to save $150 bucks.

BouwsT on
    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Why do you want one? If you want to get around region stuff I hear ok things about Nord. But if you're doing it for privacy... I don't really trust any of them.

Because I'm currently using Google VPN and looking to get away from it. I'd rather not go VPNless. Didn't Nord have a leak or a hack or something recently?

• Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I think the Pixel 5 pricing is getting fucked for a couple of reasons; namely 1) COVID delays - I doubt it was "supposed" to launch at full list 2 weeks before black friday; and 2) They misread/mispredicted the market pretty severely in pricing their devices vs. competitors based on their hardware. The Pixel 5 just isn't a $700 phone in late 2020 with the likes of the Galaxy S20 FE, OnePlus 8, and iPhone 12 kicking around.

But yeah, I wouldn't leave $150 on the table either, no way...

Senna1 on
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    I think the Pixel 5 pricing is getting fucked for a couple of reasons; namely 1) COVID delays - I doubt it was "supposed" to launch at full list 2 weeks before black friday; and 2) They misread/mispredicted the market pretty severely in pricing their devices vs. competitors based on their hardware. The Pixel 5 just isn't a $700 phone in late 2020 with the likes of the Galaxy S20 FE, OnePlus 8, and iPhone 12 kicking around.

But yeah, I wouldn't leave $150 on the table either, no way...

I'd agree that the Pixel has stiff competition with the Samsung S20 FE, but both the OnePlus and the iPhone are over a grand here in Canada, so they really don't compare for pricing. Either way, it was more an informational post, in case someone in this thread or reading this thread came to the same conclusions I did.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    urahonky wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Because I'm currently using Google VPN and looking to get away from it. I'd rather not go VPNless. Didn't Nord have a leak or a hack or something recently?

Yeah, they had a compromise at one of their data centers. They said that it only affected users from certain regions but 🤷. Personally unless you control the exit point I think most VPNs are suss for privacy.

Carpy on
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I recently acquired a tablet (Amazon Fire HD 10, 2019 edition), and have run into a small problem. I've put Google Play on it, plus assorted other Google apps, and when using Chrome to access the forums here, it will only display the desktop site, not the mobile site. Other browsers I've tried (that are doubtless using the Chromium back-end) do the same thing. The only one that didn't was Firefox, but for some reason that now crashes every time I try to access PA on it (the forums or the main site). Same with Firefox Nightly.

A little searching seems to indicate this is very much a Chrome problem, on many devices bigger than phones, and probably occurs on other sites too, not that I've needed to do that yet. But so far I've not found a way to force it to load the mobile site. Any ideas? The desktop site is kind of a pain on a tablet.

Jazz on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Have you tried another browser, like Opera?

edited November 2020
    Both Opera and Opera Touch also display the desktop site. The option to force desktop sites is disabled on both.

Jazz on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    But so far I've not found a way to force it to load the mobile site. Any ideas? The desktop site is kind of a pain on a tablet.
    I don't know about force, but I just activated the desktop version of the site on my phone and at the very bottom of the page (forums.penny-arcade.com) under the Vanilla Forums logo there is a link that says "Back to Mobile Site". Does that work for you?

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    edited November 2020
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    But so far I've not found a way to force it to load the mobile site. Any ideas? The desktop site is kind of a pain on a tablet.
    I don't know about force, but I just activated the desktop version of the site on my phone and at the very bottom of the page (forums.penny-arcade.com) under the Vanilla Forums logo there is a link that says "Back to Mobile Site". Does that work for you?

Another friend suggested that. Sadly it's not showing up at all (I know it's faint and hard to spot if you don't know it's there).

EDIT: I used the "Full site" option on my phone and copied the link, and also copied the link from "Back to Mobile Site" and entered both manually into Chrome on the tablet. It just comes up with a Page Not Found error for both. Either that or the "Something has gone wrong" page.

Is anyone else running into this on any other Android tablet, just out of curiosity?

Jazz on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I'm looking for a media player to help me focus and keep me out of my phone. I think what I might need is an old used Android phone, but I'm not sure. What I'm looking for:
    • Ability to play .mp4 movie files
    • Ideally would also be able to play the audio of those movie files with the screen turned off, and shuffle. I think VLC might be able to get those done.
    • Terrestrial FM Radio
    Is there anything cheap I could get that would tick all or most of these boxes?

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Wrong thread baybeeeee

SirToasty on
    august wrote: »
    I'm looking for a media player to help me focus and keep me out of my phone. I think what I might need is an old used Android phone, but I'm not sure. What I'm looking for:
    • Ability to play .mp4 movie files
    • Ideally would also be able to play the audio of those movie files with the screen turned off, and shuffle. I think VLC might be able to get those done.
    • Terrestrial FM Radio
    Is there anything cheap I could get that would tick all or most of these boxes?

For music player with shuffle I just use VLC. No complaints thus far, but my use case is literally "dump everything into a giant folder of music and hit shuffle" so YMMV.

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I ended up getting a new work phone today, a Galaxy S10e, after my OG Pixel started getting real flaky plus the battery was incredibly poor the last couple months it had to basically live on a charger in my home office. After being in the vanilla Android environment for so long (last two personal phones being Moto G & Pixel 3) I forgot how much I hate all the bloatware packaged onto a new phone, between all the Samsung crap and even worse all the Verizon crap. Just give me an empty phone to put what I want into it!

m!ttens on
    m!ttens wrote: »
    I ended up getting a new work phone today, a Galaxy S10e, after my OG Pixel started getting real flaky plus the battery was incredibly poor the last couple months it had to basically live on a charger in my home office. After being in the vanilla Android environment for so long (last two personal phones being Moto G & Pixel 3) I forgot how much I hate all the bloatware packaged onto a new phone, between all the Samsung crap and even worse all the Verizon crap. Just give me an empty phone to put what I want into it!

The Samsung stuff isn't too bad, but if you don't want to use the custom Samsung UX then just set Google Launcher to be your default startup app and you'll get the standard Google experience. Can't do anything about the bloatware, though. In some rare cases you can delete them but for the most part they will live forever on your phone unless you root it.

Having the separate work and personal tabs on samsung devices is also weird. I get why is there and why everything is segregated like that, but it's really strange to have Candy Crush and Disney+ on my work phone.

On the plus side, I can install apps I actually need for work (Sonos, Unifi, Lens).

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Anyone else using wired headphones with an Android handset (Android 10 in my case, though admittedly headphone jacks are getting rarer), find that the volume controls barely work when the headphones are plugged in? I can basically only raise or lower the volume by one increment at a time (and it doesn't work initially), unless I unplug my headphones--the speakers have no issue with volume control.

EDIT: Ah. Booted into safe mode...and now the volume controls work again. Well, guess something software related...hopefully an app, and not an update..is the culprit.

Synthesis on
    edited December 2020
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Anyone else using wired headphones with an Android handset (Android 10 in my case, though admittedly headphone jacks are getting rarer), find that the volume controls barely work when the headphones are plugged in? I can basically only raise or lower the volume by one increment at a time (and it doesn't work initially), unless I unplug my headphones--the speakers have no issue with volume control.

uh, can't say that I have. are you sure the headphones you're using aren't too hard to drive for the device (like greater than 32 ohms)?

Naphtali on
    edited December 2020
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »

uh, can't say that I have. are you sure the headphones you're using aren't too hard to drive for the device (like greater than 32 ohms)?

Considering they worked until pretty recently, just the last few weeks, and the problems is replicated along another pair of headphones, no.

Also, it went away in safe mode.

EDIT: Found it. Just had to uninstall more than a dozen app, including everything to play media. No progress.

Then I uninstalled Kasa and Google Home (along with the Google App). Then it worked. Oh, geeze, I wonder what it could be.

Synthesis on
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I had the exact same thing happen and thought it was my case interfering with the buttons. Of course it is Google somehow managing to shit on their own OS.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    furlion wrote: »
    I had the exact same thing happen and thought it was my case interfering with the buttons. Of course it is Google somehow managing to shit on their own OS.

It wasn't as bad as I thought, but it was pretty bad: unlike my past issues, this wasn't an update to Google Home, but enabling the "Action" button functionality with your headphones and Google voice assistant, which causes the bug. Disabling fixed the issue fortunately, but a warning would've been nice.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Just got my Pixel 4a 5G (what a name) to replace my Pixel 3. P3 was starting to get a little funny - random reboots - but overall still fine; screen was feeling small. Did the payments through Google so that will be interesting.

So far all good, haven't switched cell to the 4a yet.

MichaelLC on
  • ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    My mom broke her phone and has been wanting a new one. She's suggesting I give her my LG G8ThinQ (it's a year old or so I think?) and then I get a new phone for myself. I'm not opposed to that idea and it got me day dreaming about which phones to get.

I've had LG phones for ages, but whatever they have to offer this year does not seem appealing. I've looked at the Pixel 5 and oddly enough (to me) it seems like a downgrade even though it's a newer phone? The battery life seems like the only good thing about it.

Pixel phones are largely about the software. They run stock Android, get the latest and greatest features, and leverage Google's amazing photo post-processing to generate better pictures than phones with multiple, technically better cameras. You also get security updates ASAP for a guaranteed amount of time.

The specs only tell half the story, especially if you are comparing stock Android against the proprietary skins by phone manufacturers.

Will vouch for the Pixel line, even my 2XL still ran well when I decided to upgrade to a 5. They're the best supported Android phone on the market, and the battery life is FINALLY where it should have been from the beginning. Pixels have always been a little weak for the money, but now that their flagship is competing with cheaper phones, I think their a pretty compelling value. Their best phone isn't meant to compete with an S20 Ultra.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I still would like an XL size, but yeah I'm pretty happy with my 4a

Obviously they got me hooked in with the free photo storage and now I'm stuck but tbh it works so well I'm ok with it.

I'm actually impressed a 300~ dollar phone can film in 4K, which while grainy in dark lighting is still nice to have. It's a great phone for photos still and the stabilization is getting better for video.. still not iPhone good but definitely usable