As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    At this point if you put articulating arms on the side of that M1 configuration, you'd already have an Armored Core.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    In MWO, can someone explain how exactly stealth armour works? In my Locust while running it I've in the past been targeted by missiles, even though I didn't see any tags nor was hit by PPCs.

On the other hand, last night on my Arctic Wolf I was chasing a stealth mech, I had my ECM in counter mode and my tag on the them and still could not establish a lock.

• monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    MW5: I wish missiles fired without a lock would go where you are aiming as they leave. I want to use streaming LRM to take apart buildings, but all 20 hit the same piece that the first one destroyed.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    The only problem with the Hunchback's current look is big guns usually don't have short barrels because you want the gas to have the max time to accelerate the shot.

Solution! Rocket AC/20 rounds. Full size kick then when the shell leaves the mech woooish.

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Thunderbolt_20

God can you just imagine the look on pilot's face if this happened?

You're chilling at like 350-400 meters because you know this fucker can't touch you that far out.

Then all of a sudden there's a thunderous thwump sound and then you're just missing an arm now.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Glal wrote: »
    In MWO, can someone explain how exactly stealth armour works? In my Locust while running it I've in the past been targeted by missiles, even though I didn't see any tags nor was hit by PPCs.

On the other hand, last night on my Arctic Wolf I was chasing a stealth mech, I had my ECM in counter mode and my tag on the them and still could not establish a lock.

Stealth armor prevents you from being targeted (no dorito), and sets your heat in thermal view to a lower level (but you can still be seen as hot maps you’ll be darker than the ambient temperature, and snow maps you’ll be darker than the terrain). In return your heat dissipation goes into the toilet and you cannot target anyone unless they are right on top of you (even if they’re tagged, under a UAV, NARCed, etc).

Generally the ways to counter it are PPC hits, holding a TAG on it for extended periods of time, forcing them to overheat enough to turn it off, and I think if you NARC them (hard, but not impossible depending on what the stealthed mech is).

Without seeing a video or screenshot of the missiles hitting I can only guess, but my thought is that it was deactivated at some point and not turned back on, probably weren’t aware it was countered or had run into the cooldown to reactivate it.

The light mech mech could have been dodging and weaving preventing the TAG from being on it long enough to “count.” But there have also been reports where the TAG isn’t registering (possibly hit reg issues due to latency?).

Nobody on
    I assume switching my own ECM to Counter does nothing, since that just disrupts the ECM Disrupt bubble, which a stealth mech doesn't have up while in stealth mode anyway?

The bubble is still there I believe, but active probes, ECM in counter mode, and UAVs will not counter it.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Stealth is also a function you have to activate and it has a limited max duration per match.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Henroid wrote: »
    Stealth is also a function you have to activate and it has a limited max duration per match.

Wait...what? Since when did it have a limited duration?

It always required activation, but in doing so generated heat as the tradeoff.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Yeah, I've never seen it have a max duration, it just has a cooldown every time it gets turned off and retains heat like a Scandinavian home.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I've never seen it have a max duration, it just has a cooldown every time it gets turned off and retains heat like a Scandinavian home.

I... I never knew about the joke of a Scandinavian home. Please tell me more.

So which mech are you using with the Stealth Armor? Please tell me it is the Warhammer. I always wanted to try Stealth Armor on the Warhammer.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Sorry, it's the tiny hero Locust! AKA "every 5 games someone kills you with a single lucky shot the first time you engage".

Sorry, it's the tiny hero Locust! AKA "every 5 games someone kills you with a single lucky shot the first time you engage".

Oooh, I love my Pirate's Bane! That was my first Hero mech from long ago. I think I run mine with 4 ML, ECM and Stealth Armor. Not sure since I did change it up try out 4SL since I'm always close up anyways, but I might have gone back to the 4ML to allow me to snipe a bit instead.

My favorite Stealth Armor mech is the Commando right now. Mainly to be annoying to everybody and do some decent damage.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Mine's a 4SL, 2HMG build! It can really eat components, when I'm not being bad and get taken out by someone on the side I missed when I went in to engage.

Mine's a 4SL, 2HMG build! It can really eat components, when I'm not being bad and get taken out by someone on the side I missed when I went in to engage.

You know, I miss the blinding flash of the PB's machine guns. Think once I go back to playing I'll swap the medium lasers for the small laser and machine gun build.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Betsuni wrote: »

You know, I miss the blinding flash of the PB's machine guns. Think once I go back to playing I'll swap the medium lasers for the small laser and machine gun build.

We can be Stealth Lance! I'll bring my stealth Marauder!

EDIT: Or, if that's not big enough for y'alls, stealth Marauder II

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Erlkönig wrote: »

We can be Stealth Lance! I'll bring my stealth Marauder!

Now THAT is something that makes me smile inside. A stealth heavy is like a fat guy dancing around thinking he's invisible.

Also, why are you ignoring my PMs @Erlkönig ?

oosik_betsuni.png
    PMs? Plural? ;)

Seriously, though. Devastator looks baller af (as animated Devastator always has)...money's just tight what with going back to school (like, I can't even buy more Star Citizen ships...I have to rely on actually trading in ships I already have if I want something new/else!).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    PMs? Plural? ;)

Seriously, though. Devastator looks baller af (as animated Devastator always has)...money's just tight what with going back to school (like, I can't even buy more Star Citizen ships...I have to rely on actually trading in ships I already have if I want something new/else!).

Oh ok, just one then.

Yikes, you are back to being a student again? That sucks, but good I guess.

I was thinking of bringing back Oosik Night again, but do Thursdays still work for some people or should I move it to another day?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I take it there hasn't been any word on Battletech II in the past few months?

I take it there hasn't been any word on Battletech II in the past few months?
    I just realized there has been no news on it

oosik_betsuni.png
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Mitch dropped the mic. Said the team was moving on to non Battleech projects next. Didn't rule it out in the future, of course, but I don't think they're working on it.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    It is my dream to have a hex-based game like Battletech, but in the Hammer's Slammers universe

why oh why won't someone make it a reality

you could command a platoon of 4 tanks and it would be awesome

It's nearly 40 years old, but there was this: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4049/hammers-slammers

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Mitch dropped the mic. Said the team was moving on to non Battleech projects next. Didn't rule it out in the future, of course, but I don't think they're working on it.

Noooooo!

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I mean, there was 2 or 3 DLC for it. That's similar to what they did for Shadowrun Returns. I'm sure they'll revisit them eventually just because it's a reliable money-maker, but they seem to have a philosophy to not stick to any one thing for too long.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    I mean, there was 2 or 3 DLC for it. That's similar to what they did for Shadowrun Returns. I'm sure they'll revisit them eventually just because it's a reliable money-maker, but they seem to have a philosophy to not stick to any one thing for too long.

But I want more. :(

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

Is that what it is? I never used it first hand. Also I might be getting it mixed up with other mechanics in that game. That fucking game.

edited December 2020

Is that what it is? I never used it first hand. Also I might be getting it mixed up with other mechanics in that game. That fucking game.

Okay, so there is an activation toggle and a cooldown. The cooldown timer doesn't kick in until you turn off stealth, though.

EDIT - otherwise, you're only limited to your heat level, since stealth activation results in a massive drop in your heat dissipation (it's not 0, mind you...so if you boat heat sinks, you'll be able to dissipate 1-2 heat per second).

Erlkönig on

Okay, so there is an activation toggle and a cooldown. The cooldown timer doesn't kick in until you turn off stealth, though.

EDIT - otherwise, you're only limited to your heat level, since stealth activation results in a massive drop in your heat dissipation (it's not 0, mind you...so if you boat heat sinks, you'll be able to dissipate 1-2 heat per second).

Which is why stealth Thanatos are fun. Permanent stealth unless you get hit with a PPC or tag

It takes a good while before HMGs overheat a Locust. Just saying.

One of my best-success mechs in MWO was my Javelin loaded up with 6 LMGs and a single MPL. I dunno how or why. I just watched for armor being down (or low enough) and going ham on support fire. Or running around if there were slow stalemates and creating distractions.

edited December 2020
    One of my best-success mechs in MWO was my Javelin loaded up with 6 LMGs and a single MPL. I dunno how or why. I just watched for armor being down (or low enough) and going ham on support fire. Or running around if there were slow stalemates and creating distractions.

Most fun is the insane Piranha. 12 MG and 1 HML for doing the same thing. Well ok, not the same since it has a whole lot less armor and is the best squirrel on the battlefield. You want to see an entire lance abandon their team? Pilot a Piranha.

Edit: Another is the ECM Arctic Cheetah. 6MG and 2 lasers to your taste. Some run 2HML and others run 2ERML.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    edited December 2020
    MWO: Two free mechs!

PGI is giving away two free mechs (Urbanmech and Phoenix Hawk) for logging in and playing one match between December 28 and January 1.

That's not all, they're also giving away 1250 MC, 6.5 Mil C-Bills, 7 days of premium time and 25 stocking stuffer clicks.

https://mwomercs.com/news/2020/12/2471-holiday-bonus-details

Edit: I had the dates wrong.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Hmm. Guess I better redownload the game...

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no

Wow, you actually committed MWO to the retired bin huh?

oosik_betsuni.png

It was an unfortunate casualty of an SSD space purge, but it's absolutely been on the list for a reinstall. Good time as any now!

edited December 2020

It was an unfortunate casualty of an SSD space purge, but it's absolutely been on the list for a reinstall. Good time as any now!

Ahhh, yes. The new "old" problem of internal hard drive space. I'm personally waiting for the day when we complain about the day when we don't have enough memory.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    They're also floating some new trial balloons on sales. $6 for 13 mech bays is apparently popular.

Oh, I heard something interesting in the NGNG stream yesterday for MWO
    Russ gave over the ownership of the MWO improvement project completely to Daeron and the guy who's been doing the events, so whatever is being done, is out of Russ's hands.

Nobody wrote: »
    They're also floating some new trial balloons on sales. $6 for 13 mech bays is apparently popular.

Russ gave over the ownership of the MWO improvement project completely to Daeron and the guy who's been doing the events, so whatever is being done, is out of Russ's hands.

I saw some of the sales and they really are new player friendly. I'm slightly tempted for the $6 for 13 mech bays sale...

oosik_betsuni.png
    Nobody wrote: »

Holy shit, talk about burying the lead!

That's super encouraging, so long as they're being given the support needed to actually make good on the updates and changes.