As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] Nope, you still can't buy anything

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    V1m: Man I would really like to get a sweet new GPU in November for playing Cyperpunk 2077 when it launches in December

AMD: Uh, yeah... We might have slightly decided to launch 4 new product lines all at once and they're all using the same strictly finite TSMC 7nm resource. Maybe check back around February or March?

CDPR: Don't worry, Cyberpunk 2077 is a bug-infested and probably won't be playable until March anyway!

Well I guess this is a happy ending? Thanks, CDPR?

Mmmm... Cyberpunk is so fun right now though. :razz:

Man this is cruel

• Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    This is from me using basic stuff and only really caring about getting the cables out of way so the robovac won't snag on them.

Velcro strips to bundle up cables and once cables get bundled a lot of the mess goes away instantly.
    Zip ties to attach stuff to the desk frame, in this case the power brick for an usb hub with a really short cord.
    Cable management tray that stores both cables and things like the usb hub that I don't need on top of the desk after everything is plugged in.
    Cable box containing a power strip and various power bricks.

363636.jpg

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    spono wrote: »
    Oh for fucks sake, of course the RAM I was gonna buy is $10 more today than it was for the last two weeks. Thanks newegg!

look it up on pcpartpicker (if you haven't already) someone else may have it on sale

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    There needs to be, like, support groups for this bullshit.

Hi my name is Thawmus and I'm really trying to get a GPU, but today I got really distraught and started looking up the ebay prices for them. I didn't look long, I stayed strong, but it gets harder everyday.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    What's the GPU I should target if my budget is $400-$500? I assume that gets me something that will last at least 5+ years. It seems everything is sold out now so I just want to be able to start jumping on parts as they become available. Seems like the RTX 3060 is the hot shit right now but my mind kinda goes numb when I try to compare and contrast everything because the numbers are meaningless to this simpleton.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    What resolution and refresh rate are you aiming to play at?

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »
    What's the GPU I should target if my budget is $400-$500? I assume that gets me something that will last at least 5+ years. It seems everything is sold out now so I just want to be able to start jumping on parts as they become available. Seems like the RTX 3060 is the hot shit right now but my mind kinda goes numb when I try to compare and contrast everything because the numbers are meaningless to this simpleton.

$500 range is going to be a 3070. It's got around 10-20% performance on the 3060ti.

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    What resolution and refresh rate are you aiming to play at?

So my current monitor is 1080p and I'd probably get a 1440p. Not sure I need or want to go full 4k. Not sure what refresh rate to target.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    If you're considering going 1440p, then you're probably wanting a 3070 (for 60 fps targets) or a 3080 (for 120+ hz targets.) The former can be had (ha!) baseline at $500, the latter is $700.

I'm not sure if the 3060 ($400) can do 1440p/60, but it probably can if you're not crazy about ultra settings

Rius on
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Bullhead wrote: »
    Oh for fucks sake, of course the RAM I was gonna buy is $10 more today than it was for the last two weeks. Thanks newegg!

look it up on pcpartpicker (if you haven't already) someone else may have it on sale

It is on sale at amazon, but only through some third party seller - no thanks

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Durinia wrote: »
    Cormac wrote: »
    Durinia wrote: »
    So, liquid cooling people - what kind of temperatures should I expect my 5800x be running at? I fired up OCCT Linpack and it ran at 4.5GHz all-core, but the temp was 85C. Seems high? A little scared to overclock with those numbers.

I can't even get the GPU to break 45C under full load, though. The Gigabyte pre-built waterblock seems to be doing well so far.

That's very high on the CPU but how many and what size radiators are you running? It looks like you have one 360mm which is just barely enough for a CPU + GPU loop. If you can I'd add another 240, 280, or 360 if you have space. Generally it's 120mm per component and another 120mm per component if overclocking. However, the more radiator space you can run the better which also leads to the more radiator space the lower speed you can run your fans at.

What are you idling at and what are the temperatures when gaming? Are you able to see what the ambient temperature in the room is? What is the temperature of the liquid in the loop under load and how many degrees over ambient is it? What speed are you running the fans at and what percentage speed is your pump running at? Are you sure you peeled off the clear sticker on the bottom of the CPU block and is the mounting right (not screwed down far enough, finger tight is good enough)?

Linpack is going to stress you CPU far more than 'normal' use ever will but those temperatures are just too high. You may just need to turn up the speed of your fans but keeping the water pump at around 50-60% is more than sufficient. If your temps when gaming are in the 60 degree range then you're pretty much fine. You realistically just need more radiators if you want to keep the fans under 1000-1200 rpm under load with a single 360mm radiator.

I'd also see if your motherboard has a temperature input (I can't tell which Gigabyte motherboard you have) which you can then add a temperature sensor to you loop and monitor what the water temperature is. Ideally, you want to keep is no more than 15-20 (20 at the absolute max) over the ambient temperature of the room. Look into the Aquacomputer monitoring solutions like the Quadro, Octo, or Aquaero, but you motherboard may offer similar levels of control but not as refined. As dead set as you are on the case and how what noise level you're comfortable with, a more modern case with accommodation for multiple radiators is going to be worth it in the long run. Your case does have ports at the top for an external radiator so Watercool MO-RA radiators would also be a good option https://modmymods.com/radiators/extreme-radiators.html

Thanks, this is helpful.

Yes, I have a single 360mm. Looking right now (just been on a zoom call for an hour so not exactly idle), it's reporting about 45C on the CPU with the GPU (and my loop water temp) at about 33C - the Corsair pump/res I have includes a built-in loop temperature probe, and I have their hub that monitors/controls the curves vs loop temp. Ambient is about 24C.

When doing that Linpack run, the loop stabilized at around 38C and the fans weren't running 100%. I actually turned everything all the way up at one point to make sure it wasn't an exhaust issue - it really does seem like maybe I didn't get the block mounted well. The corsair block comes in a package that includes pre-applied thermal paste, so maybe that didn't land right.

(edit) just ran around CP2077 for 5 minutes and it's sitting at 70+. Something not right, methinks.

For the short version Robert Hallock of AMD -swears- that these can all the way to 90 or 95. According to him it's normal behavior for it to be that high because it's 8 cores all packed into one small space as the 5600X is only 6 cores and the 5900's are 2 CCX's and spread the heat out. He also said the arch can handle it and we have to just learn that we can push the silicon to higher temps these days, but of course lower is better. The AMD subreddit is full of info on doing a regular undervolt or using the new PBO curve optimizer to cut back on the voltage which will get rid of some of that extra heat. If I had mine by now I'd be able to give you more details, but I was surprised that ASUS's bios department not only got the full no beta version done for the X500's but the X400 motherboards as well. I probably won't be getting my 5800x until I can get the GPU to go with it since my 1070 is the bottleneck for modern stuff and not my maxed 2600x in this situation.

Checking the mounting is also a good idea, and in some cases the heat source being way off center can cause issue with where the plate is channeled in the middle on AIO's. Your custom probably doesn't have that issue.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @BahamutZERO

ADATA/XPG
    SiliconPower
    Teamgroup
    Samsung
    WD
    Crucial

• Options
    DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    3090 TUF unexpectedly arrived yesterday.
    It's big.
    My cpu is still b/o, motherboard still out of stock, still need an ssd.
    Not to fear, however. Finished assembling a new machine for work that is not necessary to have in the shop yet, so took it home the day before yesterday.
    Ryzen 3900x cooled by a DH15, with 32 gigs 3200 c16, 1tb nvme.
    Installed GPU, but no output. Checked hdmi cables, but no dice. Opened case panel, saw VGA error light on. Checked power plug, and one of the +2 pins was not seated right. Noticed that when MB has power, 3090 has a red LED on each power port that lights up if the plug is not connected. Cool feature!

All runs well. No overclocking in play yet. Monitor is an older 27" IPS locked at 60hz 1080p, but my desired model is out of stock. Might grab the 1080p 144hz version. Can still use it even after getting the 4k one (or two. I prefer dual monitors, since it's not strictly a gaming rig)

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Man, every now and again I see something that reminds me how dire the GPU situation is.

Currently my local Microcenter has a single GTX 1650 for $180. That is literally the most recent, most powerful, Geforce card they have. After that it's a smattering of 1030's, 710's, and even a 210.

If you absolutely must have an RTX of any sort, the only one they have in the entire store resides inside a $2500 Dell Alienware machine. That rig is rocking the RTX 3080, and they have a single one in stock.

Just totally bonkers. I have no idea what I would do if I had to build a new PC now. Just thankful I did last year when RTX 2070 Supers were plentiful. And then a friend had me build him basically the same computer I built myself.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    So the components are here. Tonight (radgy baby allowing) I'll be putting it all together. Let the fear sweats begin!

Obligatory gratuitous boxshot
    qalicwq94vkg.png

• Options
    I went ahead and bought the super flower 850W PSU this morning from Newegg. $125 plus a $10 gift card, not too shabby

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I went ahead and bought the super flower 850W PSU this morning from Newegg. $125 plus a $10 gift card, not too shabby

Superflower is an A+ brand, too. They supply the platforms for all the non-garbage EVGA PSU's, along with other re-sellers.

Along with Seasonic, they're one of the two PSU makers you generally can't go wrong with.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Just installed the new Cryorig fans.

Everything is now idling at 30c instead of 45 (cpu) and 50 (gpu).

When they ramp up they move some fucking AIR

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular

Superflower is an A+ brand, too. They supply the platforms for all the non-garbage EVGA PSU's, along with other re-sellers.

Along with Seasonic, they're one of the two PSU makers you generally can't go wrong with.

It's really sad PC Power and Cooling was bought by OCZ, because they made some crazy good PSUs.

The one I had in my first build after my first job out of school (the first time) was a killer 750W that was completely whisper quiet.

And yeah I think it's been resurrected but I'm pretty sure they just resell Superflower or Seasonic supplies.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options

It's really sad PC Power and Cooling was bought by OCZ, because they made some crazy good PSUs.

The one I had in my first build after my first job out of school (the first time) was a killer 750W that was completely whisper quiet.

And yeah I think it's been resurrected but I'm pretty sure they just resell Superflower or Seasonic supplies.

The 750W I bought back in 2010 was in my rig until 2018 and it's now powering my FreeNAS box in the basement.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    One of the reasons I really wanted to do a new build this year was to retire the ten year old Seasonic power supply that had been powering my rig. Seasonic's product is just fantastic; a part where I don't even feel super uncomfortable continuing to use it past the absurdly long warranties they carry.

• Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    So I've been pretty dead set on getting a ryzen, but obviously I've no weird alliances. I just saw an unused Intel 10900k getting sold at a swedish second hand marketplace and the bidding is at a fairly good price.

Where do you guys go for your CPU benchmarks? I've a great site for GPUs, but CPU benchmarks seem all over the place with their numbers, some places its equal with a 5800x and other times the differences are huge.

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Vic_Hazard wrote: »
    So I've been pretty dead set on getting a ryzen, but obviously I've no weird alliances. I just saw an unused Intel 10900k getting sold at a swedish second hand marketplace and the bidding is at a fairly good price.

Where do you guys go for your CPU benchmarks? I've a great site for GPUs, but CPU benchmarks seem all over the place with their numbers, some places its equal with a 5800x and other times the differences are huge.

TechPowerUp for just a website, and Gamer's Nexus has extensive testing in video form on Youtube and on their website. Those are two good places to start.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Vic_Hazard wrote: »

The 3x00 series still work just fine and are no slouches

• Options
    It's alive! (posted to bios)

Spoiler for huge
    c8Sh7Au.png

Was a war of attrition getting it to this point. There's also a none-zero chance that I've introduced an air buble to my thermal paste. Will only know once I get the rest of the components in and get to run some benches in Windows.

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Microcenter near me has 3090s and 5700xt's in stock.

Getting a 5700xt now.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »

Getting a 5700xt now.

Hope you aren't getting your numbers confused. The 5700xt is the Radeon from 2019. The 6700xt is the new hotness.

I mean it's certain a card that isn't overtly awful.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »

Getting a 5700xt now.

Hope you aren't getting your numbers confused. The 5700xt is the Radeon from 2019. The 6700xt is the new hotness.

Aye, it's done fine at 3440x1440 for me so far (still is!).

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »

Getting a 5700xt now.

I am not. Currently running a 970 and it started showing showing glitches this past week I am/was in the market for a new card and wasn't about to say no to finding gpus in stock.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    Hello yes, this is new PC. Hi.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Hello yes, this is new PC. Hi.

hi new PC this is thread

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    So if anyone is on the EVGA queue and is curious: you can order one of each card. If you buy one, it doesn't drop you off the other queues, which I sort of suspected it might do. I've ordered a 3070 XC3 Black for one friend, and just now a 3070 FTW3 Ultra for another. And I'm still in 6 more queues... lol

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    So if anyone is on the EVGA queue and is curious: you can order one of each card. If you buy one, it doesn't drop you off the other queues, which I sort of suspected it might do. I've ordered a 3070 XC3 Black for one friend, and just now a 3070 FTW3 Ultra for another. And I'm still in 6 more queues... lol

Yeah, I canceled all of mine.

But yes, you can buy whatever you want.

• Options
    DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    Pulled the trigger on a 1440p 144hz LG IPS Ultragear. Have mercy on my finances.
    But at least I'll finally get beyond 60fps for the first time. And my wife can get it as a hand me down eventually. Which will be a first. For the past decade it's been me taking her old monitors as she upgraded.

And there's the shipping notification.

• Options
    1440p 144hz is god's perfect resolution

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

Bonus points for being IPS.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I need a 4090 or a 5080, my 3080 can't drive this 4k 120Hz

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular

I'm digging the 1440p 170hz.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Do the new Ryzen chips come with thermal paste applied or do I need to get a tube of arctic silver? My parts are all in the mail and I completely forgot to order thermal paste

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    If you bought a 5600x, the stock cooler will have thermal paste on it. If you bought any of the other ones, it won't come with thermal paste (or a cooler at all.) But the 3rd party cooler you bought will certainly come with some, even if it's not ultra fancy.

This discussion has been closed.