As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Oh boy a free Urbanmech!

Edit - This is like when you go grocery shopping and get back to the car and see that someone left a flyer tucked under your windshield wiper.

Henroid on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    PMs? Plural? ;)

Seriously, though. Devastator looks baller af (as animated Devastator always has)...money's just tight what with going back to school (like, I can't even buy more Star Citizen ships...I have to rely on actually trading in ships I already have if I want something new/else!).

Oh ok, just one then.

Yikes, you are back to being a student again? That sucks, but good I guess.

I was thinking of bringing back Oosik Night again, but do Thursdays still work for some people or should I move it to another day?

I'm down for Oosik Nights when I'm home! Just pick a night and say when. Apparently queues got merged while I've been absent from MWO so that should help our issues with finding drops.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    PMs? Plural? ;)

Seriously, though. Devastator looks baller af (as animated Devastator always has)...money's just tight what with going back to school (like, I can't even buy more Star Citizen ships...I have to rely on actually trading in ships I already have if I want something new/else!).

Oh ok, just one then.

Yikes, you are back to being a student again? That sucks, but good I guess.

I was thinking of bringing back Oosik Night again, but do Thursdays still work for some people or should I move it to another day?

I'm down for Oosik Nights when I'm home! Just pick a night and say when. Apparently queues got merged while I've been absent from MWO so that should help our issues with finding drops.

I'll try to figure out a night, but my dog is now being a brat (she's old) since I last posted so needing to dedicate more time to get her back in line.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Tex Talks Battletech just did a new episode on the Rifleman to help benefit Wound Warrior, and there's also the opportunity to grab some of the great art from the episode too.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    MWO: Two free mechs!

PGI is giving away two free mechs (Urbanmech and Phoenix Hawk) for logging in and playing one match between December 28 and January 1.

That's not all, they're also giving away 1250 MC, 6.5 Mil C-Bills, 7 days of premium time and 25 stocking stuffer clicks.

https://mwomercs.com/news/2020/12/2471-holiday-bonus-details

Edit: I had the dates wrong.

Huh, for some reason I thought they had shut MWO down

Welp time to reinstall I suppose.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    MW5 didn't turn out to be a sales sensation and they're now scrambling to clear the clogs from the MWO money pipeline once again.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Every so often, the enemy bloodies your nose and you go "you know what? I kinda deserved that."

A goddamn sniper turret decapitated my Marauder, and hostile mechs tore off the right arm of my PhoenixHawk, taking a +10 damage Snub PPC with it.

I ain't even mad. Cobra had 33 kills, most of them headshots. So I mean, he kinda deserved it. I kinda deserved it.

Definitely going to miss that rangefinder though :(

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    MW5 didn't turn out to be a sales sensation and they're now scrambling to clear the clogs from the MWO money pipeline once again.
    "Hey how did all these Urbanmechs get stuck down here?"
    "People keep flushing them down the toilet."

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

So that’s where the free Urbanmechs are coming from for Christmas

• SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Mitch dropped the mic. Said the team was moving on to non Battleech projects next. Didn't rule it out in the future, of course, but I don't think they're working on it.

This is pretty surprising. Didn't Battletech sell pretty well? I can't imagine they would sell as many copies of some turn based combat/management game without the Battletech setting. I wonder if they have another, more well known license lined up.

I imagine Shadowrun games sold pretty well too, and they moved on from those.

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    I am coming to the conclusion that I am so very, very bad at this game, unless I'm in a MRM50 Wolverine.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    Kay wrote: »
    I am coming to the conclusion that I am so very, very bad at this game, unless I'm in a MRM50 Wolverine.

MRM 50 Wolverine sounds like a good thing, giving big hugs of missiles to the face.

oosik_betsuni.png
    definitely make an IV4 a part of your future shopping list. One of those with MRMs after playing a WVR is like going to easy mode with those hit boxes, armor, and comparable agility.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    Mitch dropped the mic. Said the team was moving on to non Battleech projects next. Didn't rule it out in the future, of course, but I don't think they're working on it.

This is pretty surprising. Didn't Battletech sell pretty well? I can't imagine they would sell as many copies of some turn based combat/management game without the Battletech setting. I wonder if they have another, more well known license lined up.

They're part of Paradox now, so it's hard to say what IP it might be other than likely to be some form of strategy title. I think moving on from a business perspective was some combination of "here's a money bag to do X next" from Paradox, we've come up with some new IP we're even more excited to make, letting things rest for a few years to build sequel demand up, or avoiding creative burnout by working on the same thing forever. They clearly love Battletech and the Kickstarter was successful and game sales were good, so I don't think "never want to work on the IP again" or "it didn't make any money to do it again" apply to that decision.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Smurph wrote: »

They're part of Paradox now, so it's hard to say what IP it might be other than likely to be some form of strategy title. I think moving on from a business perspective was some combination of "here's a money bag to do X next" from Paradox, we've come up with some new IP we're even more excited to make, letting things rest for a few years to build sequel demand up, or avoiding creative burnout by working on the same thing forever. They clearly love Battletech and the Kickstarter was successful and game sales were good, so I don't think "never want to work on the IP again" or "it didn't make any money to do it again" apply to that decision.

Also, Paradox is under the Microsoft banner...and Microsoft owns the Mechwarrior/Battletech (video game) license. So, it's not like they couldn't do more mechs.

EDIT - ahh...was mistaken. Thought I heard Microsoft acquired Paradox. But, nope...all articles I can find just say they just added Paradox to the Game Pass library.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Perhaps you conflated that with Microsoft's recent acquisition of Bethesda?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Perhaps you conflated that with Microsoft's recent acquisition of Bethesda?

Nah...there's been a lot of studios being shuffled around. Paradox "joining" Microsoft's Game Pass can be easily misread by headline readers when the link just reads "Paradox joining Microsoft's G..."

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Nobody wrote: »
    definitely make an IV4 a part of your future shopping list. One of those with MRMs after playing a WVR is like going to easy mode with those hit boxes, armor, and comparable agility.

I have both. I much prefer the Wolverine. It's weird, but hey.

ew9y0DD.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

So that’s where the free Urbanmechs are coming from for Christmas
    Missed opportunity for a lump of coal joke.

Kay wrote: »

I have both. I much prefer the Wolverine. It's weird, but hey.

Hey, if it works, it works, I can't begrudge that.

"I have fooled you all, I was a Steiner all along!"

I fucking love that shit so much.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Steiner Scout Squad is the best thing to come out of that series and there's not enough of it.
    Can there ever be enough Steiner Scout Squad?

...is this a real mech? 'Cause I want it.

f7oj76qowsro.jpg

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Yup, the Barghest. Nominally it carries a pair of ERLL and a Shotgun-20, but it looks like that one is modded to the -7S model with 2xMVSPL, 2xLPPC, and an MML-7.

Nice looking mods, at that.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Holy crap, look at this doofus, I love it. <3

7b1o38ioi5rx.png

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I hear five of them combine to form a bigger Mech.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Hells Horses loves them some quads.

And vehicles

And quads that turn into vehicles.

And vehicles

Did the vehicles turn into robots after that?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular

And vehicles

Did the vehicles turn into robots after that?

So long as you accept quad mechs as robots, yes.
    cgpzi7fjsd6w.jpg

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    ...is this a real mech? 'Cause I want it.

f7oj76qowsro.jpg

The Barghest, being a quad with a leg design based on carnivora, was one of the four quads I suggested for an essential quad mech miniature pack over in the thread for the tabletop game. I was making a wishlist for future redesigned miniature production along the lines of the Clan Invasion kickstarter and new boxed sets CGL has put out. It's a Steiner design introduced around 3060 (well after Victor Steiner-Davion was framed for his mother's murder and his sister Katherine had run off with that half of the Fed Com, renaming it the Lyran Alliance).

The others I'd picked for that IS lance idea were the bug-like Scorpion, ungulate-like Goliath, and walking-turret style Tarantula. The Scorpion and Goliath have the added appeal of being the first two quads in Battletech (though not necessarily the oldest in the lore), and AFAIK the Tarantula was the third, added in the 3055 tech readout (so pretty late in lore, but early in real life). But I also like that it's a spread of weight classes (light Tarantula, medium Scorpion, heavy Barghest, and assault Goliath), each with a different leg configuration.
    Holy crap, look at this doofus, I love it. <3

7b1o38ioi5rx.png

That's the Hell's Horses Clan heavy quad omnimech, the Balius, introduced in 3075 (2008 IRL). It's one of the totem mechs that became a thing with the tabletop game in the late-90's through the 00's. Every clan suddenly had to have an overly-stylized mech version of their mascot, leading to all those bird-man Jade Falcon mechs in Wizkids' Clix Mechwarrior game. I have to say I'm not a fan; to me totem mechs felt kind of out of place with the 'hyper-conservative due to homeworlds scarcity' theming they built a lot of the Clans' lore around.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I always really liked the clan mechs that looked like they were put together with plane and spaceship parts. They always looked more natural to me than the overly humanoid anime-derived designs or the animal-like designs.

Stuff like the Mad Dog, Timberwolf, Dire Wolf, etc.

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I forget, is there a timeline on MW5 coming to steam?

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    Last update was “Spring 2021”

I remember enjoying my Bishamon on 3065 so so long agooooo.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I could imagine someone putting giant guns on the mech equivalent of that Boston Dynamics dog. It could easily serve as a mobile artillery platform, and just lay down into SC2 tank Siege Mode to actually fire its guns.

Boston Dynamics is working with the US military, so, you know, monkey paw finger curls and all that.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Damn The MW5 Reloaded mod adds so much to Mechwarrior 5.

So much fun to tweak things in the mechbay.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Damn The MW5 Reloaded mod adds so much to Mechwarrior 5.

So much fun to tweak things in the mechbay.

The mech mods are a godsend, especially the arm armour ones because it suddenly makes mechs like the Jagermech a lot more viable.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png