As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jessica Walter Memorial [TV] Thread

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Watching the xfiles and get to an episode where a woman says she was raped by a ghost. Moulder, who jumps to the craziest and most outlandish possible explanations every chance he gets, is the skeptic, saying pretty much she’s probably lying let’s go home. Scullys the one that believes her. I guess it gets men right at least?

Also x files always has the most unsatisfying endings to every episode. “Twenty people were killed, a town exploded and invisible demons ransack the surrounding landscape. The case remains open and unsolved, our work here is done, were heading home, agent Scully closing this report”

Prohass on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Watching the xfiles and get to an episode where a woman says she was raped by a ghost. Moulder, who jumps to the craziest and most outlandish possible explanations every chance he gets, is the skeptic, saying pretty much she’s probably lying let’s go home. Scullys the one that believes her. I guess it gets men right at least?

Also x files always has the most unsatisfying endings to every episode. “Twenty people were killed, a town exploded and invisible demons ransack the surrounding landscape. The case remains open and unsolved, our work here is done, were heading home, agent Scully closing this report”

The latter phenomenon is a big part of why I consider Evil to be the true heir apparent to the X-Files throne

That show seems to actively resent endings

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

The latter phenomenon is a big part of why I consider Evil to be the true heir apparent to the X-Files throne

yeah it rules, fuck closure

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

It honestly makes a lot of sense in horror, where "explaining it all" robs it of power. Handwaving through the endings makes sure the focus stays on the beginnings, the unknown, the tension therein.

But Evil is sometimes aggressively committed to skating through the ending. A character will describe the off-screen resolution in like a sentence and a half as the credits are already starting to roll, it's hilarious and great

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

It honestly makes a lot of sense in horror, where "explaining it all" robs it of power. Handwaving through the endings makes sure the focus stays on the beginnings, the unknown, the tension therein.

But Evil is sometimes aggressively committed to skating through the ending. A character will describe the off-screen resolution in like a sentence and a half as the credits are already starting to roll, it's hilarious and great

it works in Evil because the show very much places an emphasis on showing the viewer that oftentimes it's people being duplicitous or some natural phenomena that's explainable and that horror is often destroyed when it's broken down

until it isn't explainable, and you're free to draw your own conclusions

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    The most terrifying element of Supernatural is how many hundreds if not thousands of people end up in prison for like killing a spouse when it was actually a demon or ghost or something.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    That's why I only post online, just in case

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »

It's like you've never even heard of digital devils, or their sagas

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

It's like you've never even heard of digital devils, or their sagas

Digital...devils you say?

3xbtkicfprl8.jpg

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    The most terrifying element of Supernatural is how many hundreds if not thousands of people end up in prison for like killing a spouse when it was actually a demon or ghost or something.

I've been thinking about that while rewatching. Even just the number of times we see them talking to someone in police custody, and it's like, welp. That person's life is definitely still fucked after all this is over.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    watched some of the sketches from last night's SNL and they were about as bad as that show's ever been

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    watched some of the sketches from last night's SNL and they were about as bad as that show's ever been

The only one that was bearable was the music video about presents.

The rest were unwatchable.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    SNL really needs to overhaul the writer's room. Jost and Che were never great, but they've gone well downhill.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    It feels like SNL is no longer necessary. I cannot think of a single reason to keep it around other than nostalgia and padding Lorne Michaels' unconscionability high net worth.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    It feels like SNL is no longer necessary. I cannot think of a single reason to keep it around other than nostalgia and padding Lorne Michaels' unconscionability high net worth.

Got it in 2

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I mean, I don't think any artistic production is strictly speaking "necessary"

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    kaceyp wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »
    Finished Ted Lasso today. I thought the way they ended the season was perfect
    It would have been maybe a little too much if they'd actually won. And them losing because Jamie made the extra pass is pure poetry. I actually wish they hadn't felt the need to really point it out in the scenes after.

Also, Higgins' devil beard was truly awful.

Super glad I watched this show and very much looking forward to the next season.

I don’t think they were explicitly pointing it out exactly. I think what they were showing is the consequences of him doing that.

Well I mean in terms of
    they specifically had his dad yell at him for making the pass, and then had the note from Ted praising him for making the pass. They definitely pointed it out. It's not really a criticism so much as "if they hadn't wanted to highlight the contrast between Ted/Jamie's Dad, it would've been a nice subtle irony."

Tbh though I also wasn't a huge fan of Jamie's reveal about his dad in the first place either. Writing-wise it just felt a little ham-fisted, "oh here's the exact reason Jamie is self-absorbed and selfish and he's able to clearly state the cause and his motivations in specific detail." But I realize the show is also not a Deep Character Study or complicated drama or anything, I just think the writing in that bit was a little clunkier than usual.
    Well, I viewed that as not dad bad Ted good sign. What we actually saw was what it cost him to be a better player, passing cost him his relationship with his father and passing showed him that Ted wasn’t just all bullshit for the media and actually wants him to succeed as a person first rather than a member of his team.

• Options
    Look outside and tell me we deserve SNL ending

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Look outside and tell me we deserve SNL ending

We should be so lucky.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    SNL really needs to overhaul the writer's room. Jost and Che were never great, but they've gone well downhill.

Colin and Michael were co-head writers, then they got another dude in who is on record as just really wanting to host one of the late night shows, he doesn't even really care about SNL at all, he just sees it as a Jimmy Fallon/Seth Meyers style stepping stone.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    My kingdom for Lorne retiring and John Mulaney getting his role

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    My kingdom for Lorne retiring and John Mulaney getting his role

Rumors are it would be Keenan actually

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I hope Keenan hasn't been cursed to never leave SNL

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular

It's almost sort of hopeful in that it implies a world where human evil barely exists it's all actual factual demons and ghosts and goblins and wharwolfs 95% of all violent and/or mean spirited crime is non-human

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »

I also liked the "A Teacher" parody, though I wish they hadn't felt the need to shove Kristen Wiig into it.

• Options
    Finished Ted Lasso today. I thought the way they ended the season was perfect
    It would have been maybe a little too much if they'd actually won. And them losing because Jamie made the extra pass is pure poetry. I actually wish they hadn't felt the need to really point it out in the scenes after.

Also, Higgins' devil beard was truly awful.

Super glad I watched this show and very much looking forward to the next season.

I don’t think they were explicitly pointing it out exactly. I think what they were showing is the consequences of him doing that.

Well I mean in terms of
    they specifically had his dad yell at him for making the pass, and then had the note from Ted praising him for making the pass. They definitely pointed it out. It's not really a criticism so much as "if they hadn't wanted to highlight the contrast between Ted/Jamie's Dad, it would've been a nice subtle irony."

Tbh though I also wasn't a huge fan of Jamie's reveal about his dad in the first place either. Writing-wise it just felt a little ham-fisted, "oh here's the exact reason Jamie is self-absorbed and selfish and he's able to clearly state the cause and his motivations in specific detail." But I realize the show is also not a Deep Character Study or complicated drama or anything, I just think the writing in that bit was a little clunkier than usual.
    Well, I viewed that as not dad bad Ted good sign. What we actually saw was what it cost him to be a better player, passing cost him his relationship with his father and passing showed him that Ted wasn’t just all bullshit for the media and actually wants him to succeed as a person first rather than a member of his team.

Oh definitely
    even though I wasn't crazy about the dad stuff, I did actually like the bit with the note because it also highlighted to Jamie that he was wrong about Ted - Ted wasn't trying to get in his head or psych him out, he genuinely liked him and wanted him to do well.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited December 2020

I also liked the "A Teacher" parody, though I wish they hadn't felt the need to shove Kristen Wiig into it.

I was about to edit my post to mention the A Teacher parody, but the ending made me forget about the amazing one-liners in the skit.

I personally don't find Kristen Wiig that funny. She's had some solid movie roles, but her SNL skits never really stood out for me, so maybe that's why I didn't find anything amazing in this episode.

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Kristen Wiig, as a skit performer, has always felt like someone more suited to MAD-TV than SNL.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options

I was about to edit my post to mention the A Teacher parody, but the ending made me forget about the amazing one-liners in the skit.

I personally don't find Kristen Wiig that funny. She's had some solid movie roles, but her SNL skits never really stood out for me, so maybe that's why I didn't find anything amazing in this episode.

Yeah, Ego Nwodim's stuff in the skit is great. I wish they'd just stuck with that all the way through.
    I like Wiig and I think she is very talented and I remember liking her a lot when she started on SNL, but I think they just fell too in love with Here's Kristen Wiig Doing a Thing. I definitely enjoy her more in movie roles and other places where she shows a little more range and depth.

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Someday, someone in the writer's room will realize that Ego Nwodim can play a crazy person

All I want is for some of that Entrée PeeE Neur energy to come to SNL

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I think SNL's inherent value was its ability to draw marquee comedy talent together and concentrate them in one place, with a constant stressful deadline to motivate them, and I think a few times in the show's history that produced some of the funniest things I've ever seen.

It sucks butt now and I'm not precious about "the legacy!" or whatever but a piece of me will still be sad when it goes away.

Peen on
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    there really isn't a reason to get rid of saturday night live or pay attention to it, if you don't want to.

it, like pretty much all network tv late night, is in this weird spot where it's antiquated, but there literally isn't a viable successor to it.

it's a lode-bearing show.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Even at the best of times with the best cast and writers, maybe 40% of SNL is good.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Social media has been a godsend for keeping SNL relevant because the occasional good skits get viraled without people having to slum through an hour and realizing the show is actually boring shit.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    one thing about snl that's always struck me as weird is that it has a reputation for being a show watched by hip young people, which makes no sense to me

those people spend saturday night partying, not watching tv

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    SNL not having any actual competition is another issue.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    one thing about snl that's always struck me as weird is that it has a reputation for being a show watched by hip young people, which makes no sense to me

The only mildly hip young people I knew who watched SNL were aspiring actors, watching it hungover on Sunday morning

Even that was more out of a research angle than an enjoyment one though - watching SNL was a way of keeping up with culture as a whole, if you were doing any topical comedy/improv yourself in the near future

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular

I actually remember reading an interview with Lorne a few years back where he acknowledged that their main audience is high schoolers and parents, which is pretty accurate to my experience

He also pointed out that every generation has a different version of the cast in their minds that the current show will never live up to, but that's okay because today's middle/highschoolers will feel that way about today's cast when they're older

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »

I actually remember reading an interview with Lorne a few years back where he acknowledged that their main audience is high schoolers and parents, which is pretty accurate to my experience

He also pointed out that every generation has a different version of the cast in their minds that the current show will never live up to, but that's okay because today's middle/highschoolers will feel that way about today's cast when they're older

Just like Pokemon

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    spono wrote: »
    Jimothy wrote: »

Just like Pokemon

and Star Wars!

This discussion has been closed.