As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy 14! Shadowbringers! The best expansion to an MMO ever!

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    i remember bismarck being a pain in the ass because the dudes buff each other's defenses if they're next to each other

Yeah nowadays you can power them down through it though. WARs have enough burst to mostly destroy one of them before the other one even aggros.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Maybe give it a week? Everyone's likely doing all the new stuff right now.
    admanb wrote: »
    Yah, while Bozja might be dead in general everything but patch content is going to be dead the week a patch comes out.

Bozja was dead for me before the patch came out. Tried it a few times in the weeks leading up to the patch on weekend afternoons. No one was there.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Yah, while Bozja might be dead in general everything but patch content is going to be dead the week a patch comes out.

Bozja was dead for me before the patch came out. Tried it a few times in the weeks leading up to the patch on weekend afternoons. No one was there.

Yeah, I don't have much hope for Bozja. The next time it MIGHT get some more traffic is in the time right before the launch of the next phase of it.

Maybe there's a discord that could help out? But unlike Hunts, cross-world folks can't hop into Bozja, right?

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Imagine if instead of making Lacus Litore a gimmicky fate within an instance, it was just an alliance raid that you can queue for.

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Yeah, I finally got a group for castrum with 30 people and it's huge. We ended up not completing ut due to the final boss dps check, 2 wipes with 1% left before timer ended.

I guess it's tuned around people having the right special actions, but it's hard to know which ones you need before doing it.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    ff14 is in general too slow at making adjustments to encourage people to take part in something once the initial zeitgeist of it is over

liEt3nH.png
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I wonder what that's like over on the JP servers. Maybe it's one of those things where we US/EU players are just approaching it way differently from the Japanese crowd.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Yeah, I finally got a group for castrum with 30 people and it's huge. We ended up not completing ut due to the final boss dps check, 2 wipes with 1% left before timer ended.

I guess it's tuned around people having the right special actions, but it's hard to know which ones you need before doing it.

It honestly isn't that much? Like, they help. But I don't think anything's essential. There's no reason they couldn't tune it into a 24-man raid pretty easily I think. Maybe just have an NPC you can pay like 10 clusters to to trigger it inside the front. It definitely needs something to keep it accessible.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Frozenzen wrote: »

It honestly isn't that much? Like, they help. But I don't think anything's essential. There's no reason they couldn't tune it into a 24-man raid pretty easily I think. Maybe just have an NPC you can pay like 10 clusters to to trigger it inside the front. It definitely needs something to keep it accessible.

I mostly meant the final boss dps check, it only lets 8 people participate in that. I guess we might just have had bad dps.

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    I wonder what that's like over on the JP servers. Maybe it's one of those things where we US/EU players are just approaching it way differently from the Japanese crowd.
    I dunno, I've only checked out Bozja once, went around the first zone a while, and I've never seen the Castrum there.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Yeah, I don't have much hope for Bozja. The next time it MIGHT get some more traffic is in the time right before the launch of the next phase of it.

Maybe there's a discord that could help out? But unlike Hunts, cross-world folks can't hop into Bozja, right?

I don't know about other data centers, but Aether has a discord for running BA and Bozja.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    SabreMau wrote: »
    I dunno, I've only checked out Bozja once, went around the first zone a while, and I've never seen the Castrum there.

You need rank 10 to be able to queue castrum, it's part of the storyline. It comes up as a critical engagement (the boss fates) but is a separate instance.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yeah once you grind up enough to progress the story to rank 10, every hour or so the castrum fate pops up to be queued for, it's basically a 20-40 person raid dungeon and you organize groups inside.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    So I got the snowman mount from the event, but from what I understand I need to finish a quest to be able to ride mounts, but that quest only comes after I join a guild? Is that right?

Steam: offday
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's around level 18 or so after you commit to a grand company. Not quite the same thing as a guild.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    A grand company is just one of the 3 factions in the game, you have to join one as part of the story.

edited December 2020
    yeah the main story will eventually prompt you to pick one of the three citystates to rep, you get your quest to get a chocobo right after, which gets you the ability to use mounts in general

also apparently the school uniform is so popular it was causing major delays with the mail server delivering all the cash shop purchases lol
    I probably shouldn't be surprised but I am a bit

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Don't get paralysis on which one to join either. They are identical in all ways but some cosmetic gear you may want (or not) at some point, and you can change your mind later.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    As for the GC cosmetics, you can get a preview here.

Unfortunately XIVStyle has shut down, but someone posted the last instance of the site (at least the images of sets and items, slightly different layout) after it went poof a couple months ago.

I don't know of any other site that keeps an up-to-date running collection of gear visuals, unfortunately; but if someone knows of another, or a new one that pops up, that'd be great! I know there's another major one (xivfashion or something like that? I don't recall its name off the top of my head) that lets people submit their glamours, but it isn't specifically a collection of the in-game sets and such, so while it can be fun to see what outfits people create, it isn't really helpful for a quick glance at what the sets look like themselves. You can always just open up the 3D previews in garland tools; but for sets that can be gotten from vendors (i.e. everything but dungeon drops specifically), it's not really easier than just going to a vendor in-game.

Anyway, one other factor for GC choice, if you end up in for the long haul and do countless gear turnins for seals: both Twin Adder and Immortal Flames are right outside the main Aetherites of the major cities, but Maelstrom requires teleporting to the Aftcastle from the main Limsa teleport, so it's two more clicks. :lol: Also, I'd have to time it, but I believe it is slight faster to get to the Twin Adder vendors, than the Immortal Flame ones. :rotate:

Terribly important factors, I know! My goal was to do all of one GC's achievements, then move to the next and do them all. But until right now, I thought you had to be the GC to get credit for the company leve's, and I just checked and that's not the case! So I think I might just grab the IF housing stuff that I'd like, since I've long since done everything else, and finally move to another one. I guess I should check first though, those PVP achievements (assuming I ever even attempt PVP in XIV, I have yet to) that are "lead <GC> to victory", do you have to be a member of that GC to get those, or is it something you choose per battle? EDIT: also PVP rank I guess? I didn't even know that was a thing.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    https://ffxiv.eorzeacollection.com does actually have just the sets themselves to preview, under the Gearsets tab at the top.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    If I'm running through the MSQ for the first time, should I save tomestones or should I be spending them on the blue gear? I've just finished 3.0 and I feel like quest reward gear has been enough to get by on, especially the blue sets I've picked up from the job quests. Taking the time to grind out tomestones for a set of lv60 gear feels like it might be a distraction from just pressing on with the story.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Huggles wrote: »
    If I'm running through the MSQ for the first time, should I save tomestones or should I be spending them on the blue gear? I've just finished 3.0 and I feel like quest reward gear has been enough to get by on, especially the blue sets I've picked up from the job quests. Taking the time to grind out tomestones for a set of lv60 gear feels like it might be a distraction from just pressing on with the story.

I wouldn't grind for them but I would spend them as you go -- on a weapon, if nothing else. They don't do anything at max level, so the only reason to save them is to level alts and once you start leveling alts you'll be flush with tomestones.

edited December 2020
    yeah the only thing poetics are good for is gearing jobs below the level cap, if you have absolutely nothing else left you want to level you can buy unidentified shells with them in idyllshire and trade those to the NPC next to the tomestone trader for grade 3 shroud soil to sell on the market for a little bit of gil though.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    A grand company is just one of the 3 factions in the game, you have to join one as part of the story.

Ah ok, that makes more sense. For some reason I was thinking it was their version of guilds.

Steam: offday
    anoffday wrote: »

Ah ok, that makes more sense. For some reason I was thinking it was their version of guilds.

That's free companies. Easy mistake to make.

yeah the only thing poetics are good for is gearing jobs below the level cap, if you have absolutely nothing else left you want to level you can buy unidentified shells with them in idyllshire and trade those to the NPC next to the tomestone trader for grade 3 shroud soil to sell on the market for a little bit of gil though.

I guess it falls under gearing jobs below the cap, but if someone has any intentions of doing ARR and HW relic weapons, you need a cubic assload; if you're doing it on multiple jobs, you can pretty much never get enough poetics.

It's physically painful to hear someone is buying Unidentified materials to use for gil. :lol: They are my bane right now.

edited December 2020
    ah yes true you need a cartload of poetics for each the old relic weapons
    also a significant amount of grand company seals

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    ah yes true you need a cartload of poetics for each the old relic weapons
    also a significant amount of grand company seals

Fortunately, both are readily acquired by running roulettes at least.

And nobody makes old relics for gear, it's because they look cool...

and then there's the Bard relic from Heavensward.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Downed Emerald EX tonight. I think i liked Ruby's better. But at least there's still some beef soft tacos.

steam_sig.png
    I was never a fan of Ruby phase 2, but I like phase 2 Emerald and its music track makes me want to play Advance Wars Days of Ruin again.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    One of these days I am going to have to get around to doing those fights.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    BEEF SOFT TACOS 🌮

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I was never a fan of Ruby phase 2, but I like phase 2 Emerald and its music track makes me want to play Advance Wars Days of Ruin again.

The music feels like a wild departure from the rest of the content as of late which is amazing. I know it's not but there's just something about it that is unique. Or maybe i've just been running way too much Eden.

steam_sig.png
  • HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    Huggles wrote: »

I wouldn't grind for them but I would spend them as you go -- on a weapon, if nothing else. They don't do anything at max level, so the only reason to save them is to level alts and once you start leveling alts you'll be flush with tomestones.

Thanks! I've probably wasted more time than tomestones at this point, but good to know now. I guess I'm playing through years' worth of plot all at once, so it's easy to get distracted by all the activities that I figure were there for people to do between story updates at the time.

edited December 2020
    Man, I look forward to the end of expansion supplemental soundtrack.

Emerald weapon second phase music is a jammin version of the imperial tune, I really enjoyed it!

The first phase was an extremely passionate song about wheat soft tacos for some reason. :lol:

EDIT: Also 5.4 spoiler speculation I guess?
    with all the focus on tempering on the main story side of things, are they setting up for the empire itself to be tempered? I know they've got the zombie making towers there at the end, but is the fanaticism of the empire due to influence of a primal? And if so, what primal?

Maybe they're not related, but it's stark to see the tempering healing storyline back to back with the "children" of Gaius basically chomping at the bit to sacrifice themselves.

The Dude With Herpes on

Emerald weapon second phase music is a jammin version of the imperial tune, I really enjoyed it!

The first phase was an extremely passionate song about wheat soft tacos for some reason. :lol:

with all the focus on tempering on the main story side of things, are they setting up for the empire itself to be tempered? I know they've got the zombie making towers there at the end, but is the fanaticism of the empire due to influence of a primal? And if so, what primal?

Maybe they're not related, but it's stark to see the tempering healing storyline back to back with the "children" of Gaius basically chomping at the bit to sacrifice themselves.
    Nah, those kids are being fed standard child soldier crap. The towers are new. The fanaticism of Garleans has so far been pretty standard colonizer dogma, plus policies deliberately intended to cause strife and shit. I think it's been implied Emet-Selch founded the empire as a long game to kick off some more calamities.

Polaritie wrote: »

Nah, those kids are being fed standard child soldier crap. The towers are new. The fanaticism of Garleans has so far been pretty standard colonizer dogma, plus policies deliberately intended to cause strife and shit. I think it's been implied Emet-Selch founded the empire as a long game to kick off some more calamities.
    He tells Varis as much in his first appearance in the post-Stormblood cutscenes. As powerful as Ascians are, it's still a lot easier to get things done when you have a world-spanning empire with which to do it.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

Excuse me sir. Those are BEEF soft tacos.

Mugsley wrote: »

Excuse me sir. Those are BEEF soft tacos.

You're both wrong. They're big fat tacos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d6XaW5TeD0

(Sabik, the heart of Sabik, the heart of Sabik, the heart of Sabik)
    (It's a remix of the Ultima Weapon theme)

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.