As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 4e][pbp] The Wilds of Aladrion

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    The forest isn't too dense, you can follow the party off to the side if you wish. It's spring, so isn't too much dead crackly brush lying about.

There isn't a huge rush on the character sheets, it's just a when you have time thing so please don't worry too much about it.

Hold onto traveler's chant if you like Shae, if your wizard is a bit of a musician as well I'm fine with that.

Half an hour of walking flies by as you enjoy the earthy smells of the forest and hum of forest life, a welcome change to the clean but cool air of Dawnbreak. Small bushes bearing flowers or berries tangle themselves around parts of the trail, which begins to bend to the left to accomodate. A pair of angry squirrels chitter at you angrily for approaching their tree then flee up the trunk.

Once again the trail forks, first to the north (right) and the western path (left) continues before splitting in two shortly afterwards. Left continues west, the right up a gradual slope northwest.

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Golarios pads to a halt a few yards from the edge and gestured with his maned head. "I cannot guide you further, the boundary of my Lady's power ends here. I wish for your success Thelians, and will remain here for the next few days in case you need aid. Be swift, be smart, hunt well and my Lady's blessing upon you."

Bos leans down, grabs the mane of Golarios, pressing his forehead to the angel.

"Hunt well."
    You shoulder your way through a gap between some hedges in the undergrowth and the brush becomes clear enough you are no longer hindered. Sunlight filters down through limbs of the trees above you, and the first thing that strikes you is how close to your home of Theleos the forest is. Ceders, pine and fir trees leap up around you and the calls of sparrows and jays echo through them.

Moving into the wood, Bos takes the time to secure his gear, tightening straps, flailing about with sword and shield.

Yona would like to lead the group through the forest on alert for hostile creatures, and look for signs of the wounded stag.

"Yes. The little one will lead us!"

Bos positions himself behind and slightly to the left of Yona.

"Lead. Human."

Edit: context matters

joshgotro on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    Once again the trail forks, first to the north (right) and the western path (left) continues before splitting in two shortly afterwards. Left continues west, the right up a gradual slope northwest.

Ellandryn definitely stops when the group reaches this point. "We have reached the end of my expertise about which way to go. Yona, what is your opinion?"

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    how hard are folks optimizing so far? I don't want to bring in something that's gonna be wildly out of balance either way. I've got ... 2-4 ideas kicking around, depending on how grimdark/edgelord we feel like playing with

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    how hard are folks optimizing so far? I don't want to bring in something that's gonna be wildly out of balance either way. I've got ... 2-4 ideas kicking around, depending on how grimdark/edgelord we feel like playing with
    Low-level optimization? I'm not breaking the game but I am looking over the full range of options and picking the ones that are good (to my eyes) and avoiding any trap builds. I don't plan on spending feats on something like skill training for RP purposes or things like that.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Korror wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    Low-level optimization? I'm not breaking the game but I am looking over the full range of options and picking the ones that are good (to my eyes) and avoiding any trap builds. I don't plan on spending feats on something like skill training for RP purposes or things like that.
    and I have no idea what I'm doing!

(I was assuming wilderness traversal would be something managed by vaguer sort of world map directions and nature checks and locating points of interest, I guess we're doing video game-style branching screens here instead? I don't suppose I've seen any signs of which direction the stag might be in? I figured I should take point because I've got a pretty high nature skill.)

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular

Seeing no obvious signs of where the previous party went, Lex will take a moment and give the fork(s) a closer look for any less obvious signs.

@Kelor
    Not sure if you want us pre-emptively rolling and you can just disregard if the roll is not appropriate, or if you'd rather us wait until you call for a roll (or you can roll for us when appropriate even), I'm going to drop a roll here just in case but let me know how you'd prefer to handle things going forward.

Geth roll 1d20+7 for Which Way Did They Go

Which Way Did They Go:
    1d20+7 13 [1d20=6]

(I was assuming wilderness traversal would be something managed by vaguer sort of world map directions and nature checks and locating points of interest, I guess we're doing video game-style branching screens here instead? I don't suppose I've seen any signs of which direction the stag might be in? I figured I should take point because I've got a pretty high nature skill.)
    I would think a Nature check here to read the forest searching for signs of passing would not be inappropriate, or to try and use your owl friend in the search. Like I did (poorly) with simple Perception.

Or I could be way the hell off and not know what i'm talking about. This *is* my first 4E game.

edited December 2020
    Sorry all have been out this morning.

At the moment you're just following a path through the woods. You do have free run of them, so you can move away from the game trail whenever you wish.

I'm essentially using passive perception checks to track anything that you might run across. (Like those trail signs you found previously) If Yona has her owl ranging out in front and wants to make a nature check, we'll apply that for a little while rather than as a once off thing. If you make a perception check, but it's worse than your passive like Lex's was, then you just use your regular perception.

Other editions I'm not as familiar with, but in 4E if you aren't terribly rushed you are allowed to "take ten" on a skill check and take the average of a d20 roll and at your modifier to it. In this case, where you're simply observing the surrounds you can totally do that.

And you can all absolutely make checks here. Generally I'll be pretty hands off on checks, unless it's something that your character's insight or perception call attention to or I need you to make a specific one, so don't feel afraid to say if you want to try something.

To get a little meta-ish, the forest is a location. Inside of the forest there are multiple points of interest, some of which you'll discover by wandering the path, others you'll need to break away to find (the wildlife that would create a game trail are unlikely to wander regularly enough to somewhere dangerous for example) and the forest itself goes on for miles.

Kelor on
    edited December 2020
    As you gather about the point of the trail where it starts to diverge, Lex'andar spies what appears to be another trail sign.

Sadly, this one has been disturbed by what looks like rainfall in the months since the previous party ventured here and washed off to the side of the path, it gives no clear indication of a direction taken.

The path leading to the north seems less traveled than the on you have been following, marred with thicker brush.

For the trail ahead, the west seems unremarkable, but the path leading up the slope northwest appears not only to be clear but cultivated. Flowers line the path on either side in a riot of spring colours and uniform hedges frame them from behind.

Assuming Yona has made a nature check, you find tracks left by boar, deer and wolves, as well as birds pecking at the earth for food.

Kelor on
    edited December 2020
    also re: the owl: I don't have a familiar or animal companion mechanically, it's just a flavor owl, maybe as the creature I summon for my wolf summon ability (just reflavored as a non-mechanically flying owl).
    I was specifically hoping I could roll nature to get a sense of which way to go to find the thing we're looking for, but if you want us to just find points of interest by wandering around that's fine. If you do want me to roll a nature check to track the elk I'll just roll it here, ignore this roll if not. I was avoiding doing any rolls until instructed to.

Geth roll 2d20k1+12 for Nature

(that's right I roll nature checks with advantage and a +12 bonus, or +17 to recall knowledge about natural creatures)

Nature:
    2d20k1+12 30 [2d20k1=[18], 15]

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    edited December 2020
    For the trail ahead, the west seems unremarkable, but the path leading up the slope northwest appears not only to be clear but cultivated. Flowers line the path on either side in a riot of spring colours and uniform hedges frame them from behind.

“That seems ... unusual,” Ellandryn says slowly. “I don’t recall any of the ranging parties mentioning someone setting up a homestead in this direction.

“Perhaps we should investigate? If they are friendly and have been here long, then perhaps they might have knowledge of where to find the Stag. And we should know our neighbors, especially if they end up being less than friendly.”

Elvenshae on
    Yona nods in agreement.

BahamutZERO.gif
    also re: the owl: I don't have a familiar or animal companion mechanically, it's just a flavor owl, maybe as the creature I summon for my wolf summon ability (just reflavored as a non-mechanically flying owl).
    I was specifically hoping I could roll nature to get a sense of which way to go to find the thing we're looking for, but if you want us to just find points of interest by wandering around that's fine. If you do want me to roll a nature check to track the elk I'll just roll it here, ignore this roll if not. I was avoiding doing any rolls until instructed to.

Geth roll 2d20k1+12 for Nature

(that's right I roll nature checks with advantage and a +12 bonus, or +17 to recall knowledge about natural creatures)

Ah, gotcha. No problem. Given it's your first time in the forest, you don't know a specific area to check, but you do know that elk often stay near water, and prefer trees with dense limb and leaf structures to sleep under as they hold heat better. I'll make a note to identify any areas with trees like that in addition to tracks you see.

forest exploration theme
    https://youtu.be/lQcKlQ6iAew

BahamutZERO.gif
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Yona nods in agreement.

Surely no one could have beat us out here, let's see

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    lmao make it turn into an owlbear >:D

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    @Tox
    I’m aware that optimization is a thing that can be done. :). I’m not going to make any real efforts in that direction other than picking things that match what I’m aiming for with this character (wind-based stuff, control with just a touch of blast, and ALL THE FORCED MOVEMENT I CAN GET MY HANDS ON.

I’m not otherwise tuned in enough to 4E charop to know what the hands-down most-broken stuff is. :D

• LabelLabel Registered User regular
    I have gotten the character builder working, and am poking around with it now. Still have no idea what I want to play.

edited December 2020
    Elvenshae wrote: »

“That seems ... unusual,” Ellandryn says slowly. “I don’t recall any of the ranging parties mentioning someone setting up a homestead in this direction.

“Perhaps we should investigate? If they are friendly and have been here long, then perhaps they might have knowledge of where to find the Stag. And we should know our neighbors, especially if they end up being less than friendly.”

"Since this marker can no longer help us that sounds good a plan as any. But stay sharp." Lexan'dar advised in a whisper before heading back, just off the trail.

JPants on
    edited December 2020
    The path is clear and open, and as it moves away from the game trail transforms into a shaded boulevard, the trees above entertwine with each other. The smell of the flowers is refreshing, almost intoxicating and remind you of scents you have not sensed since Theleos.

A short walk later you the bushes and trees recede from the path, opening up ahead into a clearing around a great willow tree at the top of the slope. A breathtaking green skinned woman bedecked in leaves and a coronet of flowers lies along one of the boughs of the willow as a well built satyr plays a upbeat tune for her on a set of pipes. Her hand traces shapes in the air in time to the music and leaves dance around above it, tracing the same path.

Kelor on
    edited December 2020
    Excuse my horrible cartography but
    IMG-20201219-195417681.jpg

This look about right?

joshgotro on
    Hail M'Lady.

You're...not from Theleos are you?

edited December 2020
    Upon hearing your voice the woman turns her head to look at you from where she reclines on the tree. Motes of gold drift in deep brown eyes that sparkle as she appraises you on your approach.

"I have lived most of my life in this forest, dear one, certainly not from anywhere that shares that name" she says in a voice as warm as a summer's day.

"Ah, but where are my manners? It has been so many cycles since I have had visitors I've forgotten them. I am Eriphise. What brings you to my garden?"

You continue to feel her eyes continue to observe you, lingering on Sinnder's flames, Bos' arms, Lex'ander's scars, Ellandryn's fine features and attempting to pierce the darkness of Yona's cowl.

@BahamutZERO Is Yona's face obscured in her hood like it is in the picture on the character sheet?

Kelor on
    edited December 2020
    Yes it is. Nobody in the city even knows what she looks like under there and she prefers to keep it that way.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    edited December 2020
    "A wee fawn ma'am. It needs tending to."

Bos positions himself in front of the group.

"We have pressing business with blood thirsty savages in the afternoon."

joshgotro on
    "Stag. A great stag. Not a wee fawn. We have come from the valley beyond the forest, and we seek to aid it."

BahamutZERO.gif
    One of her eyebrows, a thin trail of minute vines quirks at the interplay.

"Stone-Shoulders then. He is the only one in the forest that could be described as such. He grazes most often below the great tree and nearby riverbanks."

Eriphrise rolls off the willow tree in a graceful motion and lands on the ground.

"I cannot aid you in this, my responsibilities require my presence here" Eriphise gestures to the tree behind her "but Stone-Shoulders is a friend and I would not see him hurt. If you do manage to find him, crush this and rub it into whatever injuries he may have, it should begin the healing."

She holds out an egg sized bead of suspended liquid the colour of honey.

"A word of warning though travelers. My servant Tret has said the forest has changed for the worse in recent cycles. I would advise you to avoid the woods directly to the south of this garden. A darkness has taken she who lived there and you will find naught but rage and pain."

Can we do insight checks to get a feel for if this lady seems trustworthy?

BahamutZERO.gif
    edited December 2020
    Can we do insight checks to get a feel for if this lady seems trustworthy?

For sure.

You can make any checks you feels are appropriate. If something comes up that would be triggered by passive Insight or Wisdom, I'll give a prod.

Based on your passive insight, Yona thinks Eriphise is being sincere. Particularly with regards to her duties regarding the tree, she is being earnest. What capriciousness you detect seems to be from her nature.

Kelor on
    Yona is impressed and grateful, and introduces herself properly as Yona the Owl Sage, from a distant forest on a lost world. "We will aid Stone-Shoulders without fail."

BahamutZERO.gif
    edited December 2020
    "Which direction, if not South, might we find Ol' Stone Shoulders exactly?" Lex asked, looking to clarify. "And who is this Tret? In case we come across him or her in our travels?"

JPants on
    edited December 2020
    She accepts Yona's introduction and thanks her. You get the impression that she appreciates your service to the land, but indifferent to the tale of Theleos. She seems to see death as a step neccesary to the beginning of new life, winter to spring.

Eriphise gestures to the satyr at her side, his pipes still in one hand. "Tret is my servant. He has been with me for many cycles now, and observes the world outside my garden. For the most part the paths of the forest will guide you safely, east or west, they ring the forest and will take you there eventually. The rivers that exit the valley you say you come from are the most likely place to find him after the tree."

She directs you to the tree that even from miles away can be seen towering over the forest.

You judge the redwood to be perhaps three miles away from where you stand.

Kelor on

Ellandryn steps forward, pulling an empty flask from his belt and opening it - since the item must be crushed against the wound, it should be protected to prevent it from being crushed early. As he does so, he opens his mind more fully to the magical flow of the world, seeking to understand the patterns around this place.
    g79rn0xok30f.png

How many Arcana checks do I need to make? Or I can get a 22 by just "Taking 10" if you'd rather just use that.

Lex nods to the satyr as he is introduced. "Apologies for not making that connection sooner."

To the lady he offers thanks for the aid and begs one final bit of information."Another of our scouts recently returned from a trip to these forests and possibly beyond with some impressive wounds and suffering from a powerful toxin. Does this mean anything to you or have you any words of wisdom for us, lest we stumble upon the same misfortune as he?"

• KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Huh, I guess sometimes the strange lady in the forest ISN'T a witch that will try to eat you. Strange times indeed.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Ellandryn steps forward, pulling an empty flask from his belt and opening it - since the item must be crushed against the wound, it should be protected to prevent it from being crushed early. As he does so, he opens his mind more fully to the magical flow of the world, seeking to understand the patterns around this place.
    g79rn0xok30f.png

How many Arcana checks do I need to make? Or I can get a 22 by just "Taking 10" if you'd rather just use that.

Just one is fine, I'll say you can either take ten or make a roll.

"Likely your scouts ran afoul of the wasps last live throughout the woods. Their poison is mild, but deadens the limbs. As to their wounds I cannot say, there are any number that live here that could have inflicted them."

Eriphise's tone becomes slightly clipped, and you get the impression that while she shares a purpose in the aid of Stone-Shoulders she tires of answering questions.

edited December 2020
    So, without rolling, I'll pick up on any nearby magical signatures. And now I'll roll to see how much sense I can make of them! :D

Geth, roll 1d20+12 for Analyzing Arcana

Damn you, Geth. At least I'm getting the 1s out of the dice early!

Ooh - can I go with, "Momentarily overwhelmed by how much magic is going on here?"

Analyzing Arcana:
    1d20+12 13 [1d20=1]

Elvenshae on
    edited December 2020
    As Ellandryn extends his magical senses outwards, they are suffused with magic. The garden itself thrums lightly with a low level of primal energy, every perfect flower, every curved tree limb is in a harmonious arrangement that absorbs energy and directs it towards the willow tree. The area is so rich in magic that you struggle to make sense of it at first, but behind the woven natural energy a more traditional form you are familiar with is imprinted.

Some sort of warding mark stands out starkly, from low on one of the boughs.

Just to be clear you can't see a mark, just detect the magic emanating from it.

Make me a perception check Shae.

Kelor on
    Sinnder stares off at the giant redwood.

"That's dammed impressive. You think our stag quarry-er-friend went toward it? I'd like to see it in any case"