As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PC Build Thread] Nope, you still can't buy anything

• useruser Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    V1m wrote: »
    Honestly, you have a good, if not cutting edge, 8c/16t CPU. You're not stuck with a 1600 or anything. It's a goddamb lot of fucking work buying a Zen3 at the moment. Unless you have a lot of free time and a high tolerance for frustration, my advice is just leave it for a month or two. Wait 'till the Christmas frenzy has died down, the supply pipelines have had a chance to flow and shit has calmed down a bit.

I think you really oversold how hard this was... all I had to do was have a falcodrin tab open in the background while doing other things, and the gentleman running it has the manners to only speak up when there's stock.

Anyways I got a 5950X. A few more cores and bills than I wanted, but it's justifiable since I do drafting work.

Edit: Also I got a PS5 today so, okay maybe its cause I have a lucky thing goin'.

user on
  • SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    spono wrote: »
    Do the new Ryzen chips come with thermal paste applied or do I need to get a tube of arctic silver? My parts are all in the mail and I completely forgot to order thermal paste

Arctic Silver?

People still use that?

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Yeah my 5900x didn't come with paste but my Noctua NH-D15 came with it, along with a stenciled monograph verifying that the contents of the thermal paste tube were authentic and good to use.

And then a man in a nice suit came to my house and applied it for me, and then put a plaque on my wall certifying the paste had been applied.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    And given what a 5800 or better will cost, why not get a pretty fancy cooler?

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Yeah my 5900x didn't come with paste but my Noctua NH-D15 came with it, along with a stenciled monograph verifying that the contents of the thermal paste tube were authentic and good to use.

And then a man in a nice suit came to my house and applied it for me, and then put a plaque on my wall certifying the paste had been applied.

Did everyone clap after he was done?

• sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Ah, gotcha

I'll check the cooler I bought and see if it has any already. Noctua something or other (the big two fan deal)

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular

I was gonna call bullshit, but

Noctua

So I'm not really sure either way

Orca wrote: »

Did everyone clap after he was done?

*scoff*

No this was to prepare for a Noctua air cooler not a slam dunk on your Nerf hoop in your bedroom.

• TharghorTharghor Registered User regular
    3080 get! I ordered from a local dealer on the day they "released." It took nearly 3 months to deliver! So I've just upgraded my computer from a 980 to a 3080 and a new m2 SSD so I went from 550 read/write to 2000. Unfortunately my at least 10 year old PSU didn't have the correct cables because the MSI GeForce RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO needs 3x8 pin power supply. That cost a trip to the nearest physical store, because I was impatient, and now I've got a 750W PSU instead. The seller didn't really recommend it, but they didn't have any higher watt PSUs, but it seems to chug along fine.

Overwatch on max, 1440p 144 fps. Control on max (DLSS) and ~90 fps.

Are the Asus x570 Prime Pro, and the MSI 550 Meg the only 5*0 series chipset boards that aren't black?

Don't be too fooled, the Asus Prime Pro is mostly black

I wish there was an x570 version of Gigabyte's Vision mobos

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    I got a call from my shop but they didn't leave a message and they aren't answering phones. Put in a web form message and waiting for some kind of word back from them.

They don't got any reason that I can think of trying to contact me other than re: a 3080 so uhhh thanks but please respond?

OrokosPA.png
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Well, all the parts for the 2004 Doom 3 PC are here. Hasn't gone great.

So, the problems start on the Asus KV8 Deluxe Socket 754 motherboard, with the Athlon 64 3200+ CPU that sold with it. I get my EVGA 500W 80+ PSU plugged in, the RAM Bullhead generously sent my way, and the Geforce 6800 GT I had my heart set on. Aaaaand nothing happens.

I pull the Geforce 6800 GT and plug in a PCI Riva 128 thinking maybe it's the AGP slot and/or card. And it comes to life! Sometimes. Sometimes not. And I think I can quietly hear capacitors discharging over the PC Speaker.

I push on through, hoping a bios flash will fix this. Go from 1005 to 1012. Some things seem better, doesn't really help my core issues of inability to consistently POST. I try a few more AGP cards and none of them work. So that's no fun.

Messaged the ebay seller and he just gave me a full refund, doesn't even want it back. So maybe I'll try to recap it. I mean, a free junk motherboard is as good a first victim of a soldering iron as any. Also, free CPU!

In the meantime, back to ebay.

Infidel wrote: »
    I got a call from my shop but they didn't leave a message and they aren't answering phones. Put in a web form message and waiting for some kind of word back from them.

They don't got any reason that I can think of trying to contact me other than re: a 3080 so uhhh thanks but please respond?

giev pls

Newegg drops a Merc 319 6800XT tonight. I'm fucking all over it, I get it added to my cart (this is further than I've ever gotten with Newegg), I hit checkout, and.....Newegg blocks my IP for the next 24 hours because they think I'm running a bot.

At this point can I just start up my own silicon factory and just start producing the board myself? Seems like it'd be less of a hassle.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    It's done. It's finally done. Well ok, I still need to figure out my RGB situation as my planned location for the LED strip isn't going to work, but the Aquacomptuer RGB software is quite good. Thanks to an adapter it's syncing the colors on my GPU block, reservoir, a temporarily placed strip, and my case Evolv X if I wanted it to (which I don't).

I'm also not getting a readout of the RPM of my fans in the Aquacomputer software, so I may have to forgo the Arctic fans build in PWM daisy chaining and use the hubs I was using with my Corsair fans. Not a big issue as I set the fan speed as a percentage of a preset range, but it would still be nice to see the RPM anyways.

I also bought a new desk, monitor arms, and biased lighting to go along with the new computer. The desk I was using was the piece of crap glass topped L-desk I bought 15'ish years ago in my junior year of college when I moved into an off campus apartment. Good riddance to it and hello to a 30"x60" Vertdesk v3.

I'll post some pictures when I get the setup more finalized. Probably later this weekend when the bias light and longer cables for my monitors come. The RGB lighting in the case won't be quite what I want but good enough for pictures at least.

Also, wow does the 5900x run hot. I'm having to recalibrate what I consider good temperatures. This thing idles at or above what my delidded 6700k ran at full load. Around 40 degrees. I haven't played any games yet, so I'm not sure how the temperatures are there.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    Hah, you can't really compare a delidded CPU to a non-delidded CPU. It's definitely a 20° swing in-and-of itself .

Anyways, since I ended up with a sniped 5950x over the intended 5900x, I'm not particularly confident that the power delivery on my mid-range 470x board is going to cut it. I think maybe the x570 Aorus Master is a good bet, or maybe b550? It's weird that b550 seems to have more modern technologies on the memory topologies and rear-i/o.

For anyone with a 5950X on a 5*0 chipset board, what sort of memory are you running? I've seen more than a few videos that suggest that having either 4x Single Rank DIMMs or 2x Double Rank DIMMs make an appreciable (~10%) difference in gaming performance. But I'm curious about speed/latency, thoughts?

• SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    user wrote: »
    Hah, you can't really compare a delidded CPU to a non-delidded CPU. It's definitely a 20° swing in-and-of itself .

Anyways, since I ended up with a sniped 5950x over the intended 5900x, I'm not particularly confident that the power delivery on my mid-range 470x board is going to cut it. I think maybe the x570 Aorus Master is a good bet, or maybe b550? It's weird that b550 seems to have more modern technologies on the memory topologies and rear-i/o.

For anyone with a 5950X on a 5*0 chipset board, what sort of memory are you running? I've seen more than a few videos that suggest that having either 4x Single Rank DIMMs or 2x Double Rank DIMMs make an appreciable (~10%) difference in gaming performance. But I'm curious about speed/latency, thoughts?

With 400 series boards, you need to also make sure that said board will receive one of the beta BIOS when they release. It’s probably easier to just get a 500 series board to avoid those issues. Practically speaking there isn’t much difference between B550 or X570, only if you want multiple NVMe 4.0 drives. You will pay more for the same feature set on a X570 vs. B550 board however the price ranges for both have some overlap so unless you are going to pick a very high/low end board you will have choices for either chipset.

For memory, you can’t go wrong with 3600/CL16 ddr4. The slower you go though the lower the latency needs to be to help compensate for the speed reduction in general.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    Wait wait wait, you need a 570 for a single PCIe4 Nvme as well right? I thought only 570 could take those at all?

Have I been wrong about what card I need???

user wrote: »

With 400 series boards, you need to also make sure that said board will receive one of the beta BIOS when they release. It’s probably easier to just get a 500 series board to avoid those issues. Practically speaking there isn’t much difference between B550 or X570, only if you want multiple NVMe 4.0 drives. You will pay more for the same feature set on a X570 vs. B550 board however the price ranges for both have some overlap so unless you are going to pick a very high/low end board you will have choices for either chipset.

For memory, you can’t go wrong with 3600/CL16 ddr4. The slower you go though the lower the latency needs to be to help compensate for the speed reduction in general.

I uh, may have ordered a 3600/CL14 G.Skill Royal kit *fingers crossed*.

Vic_Hazard wrote: »
    Wait wait wait, you need a 570 for a single PCIe4 Nvme as well right? I thought only 570 could take those at all?

As far as I can tell, quite a few B550 boards can run a Gen 4 PCIe Nvme drive as well as a 16x PCIe GPU, there's a lot of flexibility in how the lanes are split up.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3582-amd-chipset-differences-b550-vs-x570-b450-x470-zen-3

See, a possible configuration of the 20x CPU bound PCIe lanes is exactly that.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Newegg drops a Merc 319 6800XT tonight. I'm fucking all over it, I get it added to my cart (this is further than I've ever gotten with Newegg), I hit checkout, and.....Newegg blocks my IP for the next 24 hours because they think I'm running a bot.

At this point can I just start up my own silicon factory and just start producing the board myself? Seems like it'd be less of a hassle.

If you are talking about the thing where their site won’t load and always shows an Oops message page that is just result of a bad cookie. You can just clear cookies for Newegg.com for it to come right back.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I *might* have finally gotten my processor...from Walmart of all places.

I was really surprised I got the order in. I get the notification from ATR STONKS, I click the link and I actually get it into my cart and checkout immediately. I get the order submitted and I'm shocked, I get the email confirmation, but immediately after that I get another email saying the order was cancelled. Turns out I had an old credit card in for my billing, which surprised me, I had purchased from Walmart a couple months ago and didn't remember anything like that. Anyway, despite this, I'm able to make a new order, get the CPU in the cart, add my usual credit card and make the 2nd order. This all took like 10-15 minutes so yeah, I'm shocked I was able to get as far as I did, so I'm bracing myself for the inevitable cancelled order, but it was yesterday afternoon and the order is still in the system so who knows.

I did find out later though that apparently a month ago Walmart had the same thing on sale but apparently sent out a cheaper CPU so that obviously generated some mistrust, so maybe that's what kept people away and allowed me to make the order but hopefully that's been all corrected but I'll definitely have to inspect the package immediately when/if I get it.

This does worry me a little bit though
    kzkzIfP.png

Part of me is extremely happy, but the other part is all <sigh> still gotta get a motherboard, still gotta get a GPU. Hell, still waiting for Phanteks to ship me a new case after the first one became the victim of a mis-delivery AND porch thieves (got ahold of UPS yesterday and they informed me that their investigation is done and the claim was approved so maybe soon?)

VoodooV on
    Incindium wrote: »

If you are talking about the thing where their site won’t load and always shows an Oops message page that is just result of a bad cookie. You can just clear cookies for Newegg.com for it to come right back.

Oh, no, it was pretty specific, accusing me of robotic traffic and that as soon as I went 24 hours without producing said traffic I was free to use their site again.

In the meantime, bots snatch up all their inventory.

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular

No, B550 should have a PCIe4x Gen 4 M.2 slot for NVME drives too. B550 will have one, X570 may have more than one 4.0 M.2 slot.

steam_sig.png
  • Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »

No, B550 should have a PCIe4x Gen 4 M.2 slot for NVME drives too. B550 will have one, X570 may have more than one 4.0 M.2 slot.

But... This is great for my upcoming new PC build! I had simply checked specifications at the stores where they say PCIE 4 or PCIE 3...

Thanks thread! Will this work for any B550? Any tips about which B550 to aim for?

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »

But... This is great for my upcoming new PC build! I had simply checked specifications at the stores where they say PCIE 4 or PCIE 3...

Thanks thread! Will this work for any B550? Any tips about which B550 to aim for?

B550 is a decent chipset and offers pretty much everything that the X570 does in terms of overclocking and tuning and whatnot. The big difference is connectivity.

Basically, start with a wishlist of what you want to connect to your motherboard, and what you're planning to connect to it. If you can find a B550 that fits that list, you're probably good; do a little research in case of gotchas like VRMs, layout, BIOS update frequency (this is a bigger deal for AMD chipsets). If you find 2-3 boards that meet your needs, pick the one from a marque you feel good about. If you really can't decide, come here and lay it out.

If not, you should start looking at X570 boards and rinse and repeat.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I’d recommend looking at the B550 Aorus Pro, it’s got great connectivity and thermals for the price.

I'm quite happy with my X570 Unify. Had the X570 Tomahawk been available for retail price that probably would have been my next choice.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I’d recommend looking at the B550 Aorus Pro, it’s got great connectivity and thermals for the price.

Just be sure to buy a 3rd party warranty if you go with gigabyte, because their RMA department WILL screw you over at the first chance

steam_sig.png
    edited December 2020
    This is long overdue but I'm going to call it done for now. I've decided that I don't want to run a LED strip at the top of the case as I like the more subdued look of the lighting only coming from the GPU, RAM, and reservoir. Maybe when it's time to drain, flush, and put in new coolant I'll buy and put in a CPU block with RGB which I think will really complete the look.

The new desk is still a work in progress as I have a new 21.5" monitor coming that'll replace an ancient 24" as my vertical monitor. It's size and pixel density should better match my 27" 1440p and not feel so massive as a vertical monitor. I may also get another bias light to stick on the back as the single one on my 27" monitor isn't quite enough to evenly illuminate the wall behind the monitors.
    i60SBS7.jpg?1

Pardon the reflections on the window. I'll take pictures with a camera and not my phone once the desk is done. This old 5T really does not take very good pictures.

MSI X570 Unify, 5900x & Heatkiller IV PRO, TUF 3080 OC & Bitspower block, G.Skill 32GB 3600mhz CL16, ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB, Phanteks Evolv X, Seasonic PRIME 850 Titanium, Aquacomputer Aquaero 6LT controlling the fans, pump, and system monitoring, and Aquacomputer Farbwerk Nano controlling the RGB

Cormac on
    Oh well there's a white 3080 strix now, so

Guess I'm waiting for that

Where's my skeleton.jpg picture

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Yep, was about the ASUS 3080 TUF, they only have the OC version so "would I like that for the non-OC price?"

Sure, I'll do that. Stopping by tomorrow.

OrokosPA.png
    edited December 2020
    I spent too long this evening running Timespy and Port Royal trying to find out how high I could push my 3080 TUF. It's passing both at +205 on the core and +750 on the memory. Best scores so far were 17840 in Timespy and 12050 in Port Royal. Not amazing but pretty good from what I've seen floating around. Card never went higher than 55 degrees no matter what I overclocked it to.

However, I did a quick check in Control at those settings and it instantly crashed when I entered combat. Looks like I've got a lot more testing to go to find what's actually stable in games and not just benchmarks.

Cormac on
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I've found AIDA64 and FireStrike Extreme are both very good at causing a marginal overclock to crash my computer, FYI.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Looks like my Maingear finally shipped. Other than checking RAM and GPU seating, anything else I should check from a pre-built that was shipped?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Looks like my Maingear finally shipped. Other than checking RAM and GPU seating, anything else I should check from a pre-built that was shipped?

I would check to make sure all the cables that plug into the motherboard and GPU - power cables, USB headers, etc. - are seated properly.

steam_sig.png
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I’ve got a build laid out and just waiting for things to become available, but I’m curious about the prebuilt market...

I literally haven’t bought a prebuilt pc since the third Pentium generation

fuck gendered marketing
    I still legit wish I had bought a prebuilt PC.

8vrllop1fnra.png

fucking christ almighty I wish I had bought a prebuilt PC.

edited December 2020
    Wait. No. Shut up.

iq7p2tcb02gk.png

Shut the fuck up.

Please be real.

EDIT: FYI this was after the website told me to get fucked. I still had the card up on my phone app and was waiting for the availability button to go away and let me add to cart. I got my chance, I added to cart, and it tells me I already have something in my cart. I go look, there it is, I roll my eyes and hit the checkout button, knowing it's going to tell me again that nothing's available in my area.

And then, it just, lets me check out.

Thawmus on
This discussion has been closed.