As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Reloaded starts good but eventually degenerates as mechs get dumb. Enemy force strength ramps up so much that you need really derivative strategies to deal with it. Like, great every mech has an inferno SRM 24 and we shut down our opponents until we kill them. Snooze

It would be far better with just mech quirks.

wbBv3fj.png
  • monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Inferno SRM24?

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    monkeykins wrote: »
    Inferno SRM24?

4x SRM-6 most likely. Inferno SRMs are napalm warheads (or something similar), inflicting heat on the target (so you can force a shutdown with enough hits on a mech).

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Inferno SRM do heat dmg (and minor regular dmg) and heat dmg over time. 4x SRM6 basically shuts down any mech in one or two volleys for 15-30 seconds. One mech can shut down I think 2-3 double heat sink assaults pretty easily.

And it’s necessary to kill the monstrous Lances they will drop on you in later reloaded. Like, 70 difficulty missions with 6-8 assault drops at once.

wbBv3fj.png
  • RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    Just assembled my fresh new gaming PC... booted up MW5 and confirmed it looks nice... also confirmed I'd rather dunk on people with my jester in MWO so that's installing now so I can play it instead.

edited December 2020
    More that I have yet to see any Inferno SRM. I am running a King Crab with 4SRM6+Art and just removing the legs of anything that gets close to me.
    Rep 15, but I just did the first story mission in the periphery.
    I do miss MWO a bit, because I really liked running around in Light mechs.

monkeykins on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    MWO:

Don't forget to to use the code happyholidays2020 to get 7 days of free premium time.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    What's the good mech for the casual will-rarely-play-much who has no real preference for anything in particular. The answer to "what kind of style do you like to play" is going to be "dunno".

I just want a really broad generalisation, I really don't mind if it doesn't fit everything.

Probably a WHM-6R Warhammer. It can has some variety for builds so if you get bored with, say, Gaussvomit (gauss with lasers), you can do builds like 2xLB-20X

For Clan, maybe Ebon Jaguar. As an Omni you can swap pods around to do anything from disco light show to LRM boat.

Wanted to port this discussion over. I quite like the idea of a warhammer so I think that will be my goal. It's one of my favourite mechs looks wise.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I bought an Orion IIC yesterday. 3 SRM6 and 2 LBX/10 loaded onto it with a few tons of ammo each. I didn't get a LOT of time with it but this thing is capable of punching down lights in a couple of hits.

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    LB10s also have surprising reach so don't be afraid to reach out and touch someone.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    LB10s also have surprising reach so don't be afraid to reach out and touch someone.
    Oh I have absolutely used them at range.

My favored LB10 vehicle was a Marauder of some type with some MLAS backup. I'll get the build here when I get home.

Don't mind me, just getting 16k xp in a 1st win of the day after having done 1,100 damage with 3 killing blows.

See and NOW my Orion IIC has skill upgrades to its SRMs and LBX canons.

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Ok - so this is the BattleTech thread. As I already said in the holiday thread, I got BattleTech for the Steam Winter Sale (and just bought the addons this morning). Haven't advanced past the tutorial missions in the campaign, but plan on doing so soon. And I found Baradul on YouTube. Fellow German and great source of content for BT.

Today he streamed RogueTech - and that looks like it makes BT bigger than the original? I will have to check that out once I am done with the base game, so probably sometime around 2030. Will give updates on my progress here.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Roguetech does make Battletech "bigger" but it also makes it MUCH more complicated. They added a lot of new mechs in Roguetech, which means more missions you need to run to collect more mech parts. This is somewhat balanced by being able to pay to swap mech parts between a chassis (eg SHD-XX parts can be used to make an SHD-2H as long as you have 1 2H part and two others).

It also adds in pilot fatigue and armor repair times, so the game ends up feeling MUCH slower.

I'm against that mod on the principle of it giving IS mercs omni tech from the Clans.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Ok - so this is the BattleTech thread. As I already said in the holiday thread, I got BattleTech for the Steam Winter Sale (and just bought the addons this morning). Haven't advanced past the tutorial missions in the campaign, but plan on doing so soon. And I found Baradul on YouTube. Fellow German and great source of content for BT.

Today he streamed RogueTech - and that looks like it makes BT bigger than the original? I will have to check that out once I am done with the base game, so probably sometime around 2030. Will give updates on my progress here.

It's one of those "realism" type mods that goes far, far down the rabbit hole of complexity which for some people who want to play 2 hour missions is just, the greatest thing ever. It also means you're going to be dealing with crazy difficulty spikes and have to work with other mods most likely to get the game performance more stable.

Roguetech, once again, also has the idea that "roguelike" means, in Angband terms, running into Sauron at 50'.

Super, super stupid balancing. But if you like that kinda thing, neat!

In other news, my twin HPPC Vindicator continues to get work DONE. Haven't done less than 600 damage with it in my last three games.

I'm struggling to find a build for my Timberwolf (Prime) that I like. This thing is very, very tight on slots available. It's got the MG ROF and missile traits that make me feel like I have to take advantage of them. At the same time there's only two slots available for MGs and that means slotting in ammo. In addition like everyone knows already, the kind of missiles you slot increase the hit box like hell. It's not much better on the laser front, again because of the slots available. It's gonna run hot if you have anything hard hitting.

So I'm trying to think of it this way; it's built to either hit infrequently at long range, OR you can take advantage of the move speed and gear it to hit and run with hard hitting weapons. I also need to abandon the MG horse shit as much as I want to love 'em.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    You have two options basically. Either lean into the So8 and go with two big ATM/LRM launchers or ditch the missile shoulders.

The MG quirks are a trap option.

MG quirks are good on some other mechs I have, I've made that shit work before. But on the Timberwolf FML. The space is way too crucial to build a weapon profile to allow it.

You have two options basically. Either lean into the So8 and go with two big ATM/LRM launchers or ditch the missile shoulders.

The MG quirks are a trap option.

I used to run a SRM6 build long ago, then looked and realized I swapped it over to ATMs. Otherwise I remember the SRM build being pretty nasty. Guessing it is no longer cool since ATMs can do more damage overall?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    This is the build I use with the Timber Wolf:

https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#24f1f91c_TBR-PRIME

If you don't want the jump-jets, you can swap out the -S right torso for a -D and you can squeeze in some more heatsinks.

My other build uses the Warrant hero mech and it goes with a pair of Ultra10 ACs and, again, 4 ERMLs. It doesn't do nearly as well as my SRM+A24 build, though.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    edited January 2021
    Yeah, Timby is not built well to face tank brawl, which is what you'd need to do in order to get work done with the MGs.

It’s not really good at brawling period, but 4xASRM/6 4xERML or 4xSRM-6+LB-20 can work

Nobody on
    edited January 2021
    Hey so you know my Javelin, the rinky dink light mech I have with 2 SPLs and 6 HMGs?
    D5MGFUu.png
    C2LYLxq.png

Edit - Fun fact; in the last couple minutes of the match, EVERYONE ran out of ammo, and right when it was happening the one guy on the enemy team with a weapon left (PPC) had that torso section blown up by yours truly. So the enemy team was trying to physically ram me and the guys left alive on my team in their big mechs while we danced around them shooting our very few lasers.

Henroid on
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    That's a lot of kills!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Iolo wrote: »
    That's a lot of kills!
    I was running around the battle field coming out of cover in different sections to blow away components or take shots at the heavily damaged guys that move to the back of the enemy line. Got caught out on my own pretty hard at one point and was sure I'd be done but I somehow survived.

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    So I can report that I managed to escape the Tutorial missions and the first planet. Although - the people I was with both died. But nevertheless, a friendly mercenary company picked me up and 3 years later, we are cash strapped on the ass end of nowhere and they made me their commander.

What could possibly go wrong?

So far the game is awesome. Especially the cut scenes and art work. I really dig the visual style. The gameplay itself is really fun to figure out.

BTW, just a head's up:

That 7-days active premium time promo code is still working. So, to reiterate what Betsuni was saying before the holiday forums came along:
    Betsuni wrote: »
    MWO:

Don't forget to to use the code happyholidays2020 to get 7 days of free premium time.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    BTW, just a head's up:

That 7-days active premium time promo code is still working. So, to reiterate what Betsuni was saying before the holiday forums came along:
    MWO:

Erl, why are you giving me reasons to ruin my clearly personal best matches for 2021?

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Nips wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    BTW, just a head's up:

MWO:

Erl, why are you giving me reasons to ruin my clearly personal best matches for 2021?

Because we want you back for Oosik Nights.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    YouTube blindsided me tonight with all the feels.

https://youtu.be/Y5ezgEzpQBg

Maybe you'll get your wish, Bets, because the itch is getting real and MW5 on Steam isn't here to scratch it...

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'm struggling to find a build for my Timberwolf (Prime) that I like. This thing is very, very tight on slots available. It's got the MG ROF and missile traits that make me feel like I have to take advantage of them. At the same time there's only two slots available for MGs and that means slotting in ammo. In addition like everyone knows already, the kind of missiles you slot increase the hit box like hell. It's not much better on the laser front, again because of the slots available. It's gonna run hot if you have anything hard hitting.

So I'm trying to think of it this way; it's built to either hit infrequently at long range, OR you can take advantage of the move speed and gear it to hit and run with hard hitting weapons. I also need to abandon the MG horse shit as much as I want to love 'em.

It's an omnimech, so ignore the quirks and build it how you want. I like to run my Timbers with 4x C-SRM6A and 4x C-MPL or 4x C-SSRM6 and 4x ERML. It makes me sad, but the real problem of the Timber Wolf is just that it runs an XL375, which means too much of your weight is taken up by the engine.

Nips wrote: »
    YouTube blindsided me tonight with all the feels.

https://youtu.be/Y5ezgEzpQBg

Maybe you'll get your wish, Bets, because the itch is getting real and MW5 on Steam isn't here to scratch it...

Yeah, I would take that in a heartbeat.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited January 2021
    The build I seem to have the most success with on my series mascot is 4 heavy medium lasers and 2 LRM-20s (Artemis). It plays as basically a stronger and faster version of my Maddog (which is 4 heavy small lasers and the same missiles, ammo count included). Though the Maddog benefits from not being a visual "shoot me first" in peoples' minds.

Henroid on
    Hot take from my return to MWO- can't do anything in the Hero Firestarter. Cougar seems to be junko. Missile travel time difference from MW5 has me all sorts of jumbled. Warhammers continue to be a trap for me and I have yet to break 150 damage with either the Heavy or Assault versions. Mediums are fun.

Hot take from my return to MWO- can't do anything in the Hero Firestarter. Cougar seems to be junko. Missile travel time difference from MW5 has me all sorts of jumbled. Warhammers continue to be a trap for me and I have yet to break 150 damage with either the Heavy or Assault versions. Mediums are fun.

Firestarter hero is trash

Cougar works best as either a lasvom mech (1 HLL + 5-6 ERML) or as a ERPPC boat (mine does awesome built like a Panther with ECM)

Some people do best in lighter (or heavier) mechs.

Firestarter hero is trash

Cougar works best as either a lasvom mech (1 HLL + 5-6 ERML) or as a ERPPC boat (mine does awesome built like a Panther with ECM)

Some people do best in lighter (or heavier) mechs.

Hmm, I should repurpose my Cougar back to the ERPPC build. Do you have a link to your build with it? I've tried everything with laser spam and missiles but just couldn't get it to work other than hide behind an Assault to act like a mobile laser turret for them (with ECM coverage).

Which Warhammer do you have @monkeykins ? I do know that the Black Widow was a great UAC/AC build (which sucks since I would love to run it with something in the arms like the design is intended to). There was one variant that I turned into basically a Thunderwub with all MPLs. I had another that a fellow PA'er made into a boomhammer with an AC-20, SRM6 and some MLs I think (need to go look at it again).

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited January 2021
    Yeah, I've tried to get the Cougar to work for me. Best loadout I could find for it is basically:

2xMPL, 4xERML, ECM, all the heatsinks

I've tried dual-LB5X (or ultras) + ERSL/HSL, but it just lacks...well...pretty much everything.

EDIT - and @Betsuni ...I've never not run my Black Widow with anything other than this build. It is beyond stupid...and yet, I can't not love it.

EDIT2 - corrected a slight loadout issue with my Black Widow build after double-checking in-game.

Erlkönig on