As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What’s the best Soulsborne game?

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Sekiro
    demon's souls is cool, and in some ways i'm more impressed with its boss fights than any other game. that said it's got some fuckin' merciless boss runs. also, you have to farm for healing items, which is annoying even if it's not that bad in practice.

dark souls 1 is really cool. the first 2/3rds are so are excellent, the last third is really spotty, the weird kaathe shit is cool enough that i can forgive it.

dark souls 2 is a good time, it's big and expansive and fun to explore all the different directions, but it's undercut a bit by most of the game being pretty ugly to look at. it probably belongs low on the list just because it's got stiff competition but it's a great game in its own right

bloodborne is pretty good, the trick weapons are fun, but there's not enough variation in the environments and farming for blood vials is fuckin' miserable, not to mention the way you have to sit through two loading screens any time you want to level up or do anything in the dream. i like it just fine but I straight-up don't understand why it's so far and away the most popular one of these when IMO it belongs near the bottom.

dark souls 3 didn't make a big impression on me at the time but i've been meaning it go back to it, it's definitely got some good shit goin' for it even if the formula was wearing a bit thin by this point

sekiro is a big enough departure that it's debatable whether it even counts as a souls, but also, it fuckin' slaps. the movement feels great, the parry system kicks the shit out of you until you get the hang of it and then it feels amazing, the environments are gorgeous and varied despite being contained in a relatively small geographic space, most of the boss fights are just 1v1 duels but it somehow avoids the sameyness that DS2 occasionally falls into, it takes like 15-20 hours to beat the first time through but then every subsequent playthrough takes about a third of that which feels rad. I really don't have a single bad thing to say about Sekiro, other than a criticism that applies to every game in the series and which I don't wanna bring up here because precedent says it'll devour the entire thread

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Bloodborne
    So should I play the Dark Souls games in order then

you might be able to skate by with playing Bloodborne first, because its so different it might not annoy the shit out of you that the older games feel like molasses

but for the dark souls games proper, you should play them in order... or at least play DS1 before DS3, because nearly every aspect of DS3 is a reference to either DS1 or Demons Souls and it will all be lost on you without a working knowledge of those games

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Dark Souls 2
    ive been playing bloodborne after bouncing off it HARD the first two times despite playing every dark souls multiple times

im moving through now and will likely beat it, the combat is very fun and progression is enjoyable

I fuckin hate how this game looks yall

i hate it

the dark souls games are all grody but have some beauty to their designs. This is either gross or insanely bland

like beyond just the designs

everything is the same damned color, to the point where enemies sometimes look camouflaged against the background

theres some cool stuff here and there but it really isnt working for me visually

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Dark Souls 2
    big hammer tho

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Bloodborne
    I've been playing Nioh and it's a pretty dang good Soulsborne, and the best one not made by From. Something about how the game is divided up into missions that have natural endings--boss fights for example--makes the game more approachable. Little bite-sized chunks of killing many, many youkai.

one of things i don't like about nioh is the dodging is kind of ass. i don't think there's any i-frames; it's just "get out of the way or get hit" and i've been to conditioned to expect i-frames to get that through my thick skull

• Options
    Bloodborne
    farming for blood vials is fuckin' miserable, not to mention the way you have to sit through two loading screens any time you want to level up or do anything in the dream.

i don't know when you last played but they fixed both of those issues, thank goodness.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Sekiro
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    farming for blood vials is fuckin' miserable, not to mention the way you have to sit through two loading screens any time you want to level up or do anything in the dream.

i don't know when you last played but they fixed both of those issues, thank goodness.

i just did a playthrough this year and they maybe improved them but they didn't fix them

i still spent what probably added up to a couple hours running loops in central yharnam to farm vials, and sat through two loading screens every time i needed to reset the enemies to keep farming

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Dark Souls 2

How did they fix the vials because I for sure hated it the first time but now I've got them spilling out of my butt

did they just increase drop rate by a lot?

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Sekiro
    "fixing" it would mean giving me a blood flask that auto-refills every time i die or touch a lantern

i.e. the mod that's going to be available within about five minutes if and when bloodborne ever comes to pc

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Dark Souls 2
    "fixing" it would mean giving me a blood flask that auto-refills every time i die or touch a lantern

Yeah I'd still MUCH prefer the estus flask system

But this time around I have only run out in very very few instances

• Options
    Bloodborne

i just did a playthrough this year and they maybe improved them but they didn't fix them

i still spent what probably added up to a couple hours running loops in central yharnam to farm vials, and sat through two loading screens every time i needed to reset the enemies to keep farming

they really improved the load times i thought but yeah if you still didn't like the blood vial drop rate and buying them the game would end up being pretty annoyingly bad

i'm crap at the game so i was always grinding for levels on scrubs; i guess i always had a hefty supply of vials because of that

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Sekiro
    I went with Sekiro because I genuinely think that has some of their most interesting and complete thematic storytelling and dope-as-hell combat, but it is absolutely not a Soulsbourne game and should not be on this list to begin with! It's just a From game with checkpoints, it has no other real connection

If it weren't there I'd pick Bloodborne

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
  • Options
    Dark Souls 2

You could argue this is because I'm stupid

But in my defense it doesn't look like fur literally at all

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Dark Souls 2
    I just buy blood vials and bullets. It's not very expensive and better investment before a boss than a partial level

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Bloodborne
    Rightly or wrongly it was their aesthetic choice that you scrounge around like an addict for your space god infused drugs.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Sekiro
    it's sekiro by a mile for me

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Sekiro
    the evidence for sekiro not being a souls games is actually evidence that it is the first true sequel to demon's souls.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Bloodborne
    I disqualify Sekiro for not being a Soulsborne, but even if I were to include if I think Bloodborne might edge it out for me

Bloodborne is the only one of these I've finished like half a dozen times now

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Bloodborne
    -Tal wrote: »
    the evidence for sekiro not being a souls games is actually evidence that it is the first true sequel to demon's souls.

but it has a moonlight greatsword... and patches.. basically sort of does send you into a pit? he doesn't kick you, but there is a pit. and patches is involved.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Dark Souls
    I've been playing Nioh and it's a pretty dang good Soulsborne, and the best one not made by From. Something about how the game is divided up into missions that have natural endings--boss fights for example--makes the game more approachable. Little bite-sized chunks of killing many, many youkai.

one of things i don't like about nioh is the dodging is kind of ass. i don't think there's any i-frames; it's just "get out of the way or get hit" and i've been to conditioned to expect i-frames to get that through my thick skull

This is completely fair, and I also spent considerable time training myself to not try and dodge constantly. And honestly I like blocking better, because I'm a huge coward.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Bloodborne
    I don’t know if Seriko is a Souls game, but Dark Souls is my fav Castlevania.

• Options
    Dark Souls 2
    I greatly prefer dodging over blocking anything, because there's a ton of unblockable moves but very few undodgeable ones. Plus iframes.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Bloodborne
    Started my first Dark Souls run and used the knight background with master key gift and am pouring everything into endurance

Am I doing it right

• Options
    Bloodborne
    Started my first Dark Souls run and used the knight background with master key gift and am pouring everything into endurance

Am I doing it right

no you shouldn't be playing dark souls at all

• Options
    Sekiro

Am I doing it right

yes

• Options
    Dark Souls 2

Am I doing it right

On your way to being a proper Giantdad

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I fucking love Dark Souls 2 man

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Dark Souls 3
    One thing I'll say about the first Dark Souls and its stats is, I disagree with the "general consensus" about the Resistance stat. Under specific framing that is. Getting it up to 20 or 30 (I forget which it is, it's been a while since I've played) is absolutely worthwhile and makes noticeable differences in the mitigation provided. Like I know about the diminishing returns and that much is absolutely true earlier for this stat than most others, but a few points invested is Good, Actually.™ I know one of the arguments is "you can just change your armor if you want poison resist or whatever else," but considering the menuing is active time, that's fucking dangerous and it's not easy to do on the fly. Also, change your armor for everything you might run into is a slow as fuck way to play the game.

Ah, a poison thing!
    Change armor.
    Ah, a combat thing!
    Change armor.
    Ah, a poison thing again!
    Change armor.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    summoning @Daypigeon

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Bloodborne
    summoning @Daypigeon

oh lawd he comin'

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I'm too old for hard games, so I really only played Code Vein which is much easier than others from what I understand.

I'd probably give Bloodborne a shot if it came to Steam, though.

• Options
    Bloodborne
    Lars wrote: »
    I'm too old for hard games, so I really only played Code Vein which is much easier than others from what I understand.

I'd probably give Bloodborne a shot if it came to Steam, though.

You might like Remnant; I found it similar but easier.

• Options
    Dark Souls 2
    Henroid wrote: »
    One thing I'll say about the first Dark Souls and its stats is, I disagree with the "general consensus" about the Resistance stat. Under specific framing that is. Getting it up to 20 or 30 (I forget which it is, it's been a while since I've played) is absolutely worthwhile and makes noticeable differences in the mitigation provided. Like I know about the diminishing returns and that much is absolutely true earlier for this stat than most others, but a few points invested is Good, Actually.™ I know one of the arguments is "you can just change your armor if you want poison resist or whatever else," but considering the menuing is active time, that's fucking dangerous and it's not easy to do on the fly. Also, change your armor for everything you might run into is a slow as fuck way to play the game.

Ah, a poison thing!
    Change armor.
    Ah, a combat thing!
    Change armor.
    Ah, a poison thing again!
    Change armor.

Solution to poison is ignore it or eat some cheap moss. Solution to toxic is eat some moss after you murder the mob that doesn't respawn. Changing gear for poison is pointless and putting points into Resistance is worse than just loading them into Vitality.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Sekiro
    I hated code vein

It plays and looks like one of those super metroid fan games made by people who've got no idea what made the original work

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I hated code vein

It plays and looks like one of those super metroid fan games made by people who've got no idea what made the original work

yeah but anime tiddies

• Options
    Dark Souls 2
    code vein has a really good character creator

• Options
    Sekiro
    yeah I'd largely agree with that

• Options
    Sekiro
    anyway my favorite non-Fromsoft soulsborne is Jedi: Fallen Order

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Dark Souls 3
    Shorty wrote: »
    anyway my favorite non-Fromsoft soulsborne is Jedi: Fallen Order
    I heard that game is quite good and I am eager to play it someday.