As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

QUILTBAG: It’s Pride Time

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    So what you’re saying is that bottom surgery is good for hypertension...

Doctors Hate This One Weird Trick

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Kind of raises the question of why they bother asking for ID if they accept ID they don't think matches the person

Well, the name and the address on the ID matched what was on the parcel, which I think is more what they're looking for. Outside of that it's just tracking who picked it up in case of issues.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    so, as i'm getting ready to start my transition (and, I will just say that my own relationship to gender is that even now i don't see myself as always having been a girl, i do see it as a change), there are a lot of things that i never got to learn for myself

and that's also been why it's been so good to come out to my friends and family (especially my siblings) because it really gives me a chance to talk about what i do want to take on and how i do want to present myself and how i see myself

but there's also things i'm going to read and research myself and that's why i spent 20 bucks today to buy this book from 1937

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    Kind of raises the question of why they bother asking for ID if they accept ID they don't think matches the person

Well, the name and the address on the ID matched what was on the parcel, which I think is more what they're looking for. Outside of that it's just tracking who picked it up in case of issues.

Oh, here they want ID for the person collecting.

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Well, it happened a bit sooner than I expected, but I told my mom I'm trans nonbinary over email and she has given me her full support, while promising to tell my brother and dad on Christmas.

That's a relief, and gives me more confidence about telling my sister in a week.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    so, as i'm getting ready to start my transition (and, I will just say that my own relationship to gender is that even now i don't see myself as always having been a girl, i do see it as a change), there are a lot of things that i never got to learn for myself

and that's also been why it's been so good to come out to my friends and family (especially my siblings) because it really gives me a chance to talk about what i do want to take on and how i do want to present myself and how i see myself

but there's also things i'm going to read and research myself and that's why i spent 20 bucks today to buy this book from 1937

AKA "how to peg a gentleman or madame in a respectable fashion"

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I work with a couple that are both going through gender reassignment surgery right now. I'm really happy about how well accepted & supported they are in the work place.

Personal stuff, girlfriend(that term feels weird in my age range) has asked if she should use non-gendered pronouns with her parents when we have distanced Christmas(huge house, retired parents who live at home and don't go out, she works from home, I'm the only infection vector and will be super distanced) and her parents are both super lefties, but also I just don't want to extra stress of being asked any questions about it on top of regular Christmas with family stress? I would feel more comfortable letting them know after the holidays.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Yea Christmas stress on top of coming out stress is a whole lot more of a thing, I made sure that I’m out to everyone coming for Christmas already so I don’t have both of them on top of each other. It’s absolutely sensible and reasonable to save it for later for your own self care.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Sterica wrote: »
    So what you’re saying is that bottom surgery is good for hypertension...
    Hah! If it was just hypertension I would have just asked for good-old fashioned medieval Leech therapy. :lol:

3jozzprj1e6e.jpg

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Was just thinking the other day how long it's been since I was misgendered. Then yesterday my dad referred to me as my brother's sister.

Then corrected himself with "[My name]. Whatever" cool thanks dad, nice.

(I originally posted this in the Witcher thread by mistake but I'm posting it here as well now because I'm still annoyed)

• PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    : 0 "Whatever?"

What if we hired a Witcher to smite 'em
    7dmw9ei893li.gif

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    "If I'm to choose between one gender or another, I'd rather not choose at all."

-Canon Geralt (I wish)

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

edited December 2020
    So, I had a nice (if ambivalent) dose of gender euphoria last night.

I was thinking about a character from Erased (a show I won't be going into much detail on, because this isn't the anime thread), specifically Kayo, a 10 yo girl who is a survivor of severe parental abuse.

Kayo, this abused little girl, always resonated a lot with me. I've always known that this had to do with child abuse I went through growing up, and I never thought it went beyond that. But last night, it hit me.

I was an abused little girl.

I think that is the most "OH! :D ....oh. :? " moment I've ever had.

Goatmon on

I don't watch Grey's Anatomy, but I liked this article about one of its characters. One of those little things to combat the feeling that everything is shit and not getting better.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/live-feed/greys-anatomy-transgender-storyline-explained-alex-blue-davis-interview-1075535

edited December 2020
    So, Eddie Izzard has been out as genderfluid for a while now.

However, more recently, some folks decided to make a fuss about it, because in an interview she mentioned that she was dropping Male pronouns.

So I made a thing in her honor.

Goatmon on

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I didn't even know she was trans!

edited December 2020
    I don't think she ever made a big thing out of it. I and she just expanded to female pronouns and such.

Also, a correction; she's genderfluid.
    The most recent thing was, when asked, she said she was droppong male pronouns.

Also also, my meme seems to be blowing up, so that's fun.

First time that's ever happened on my own TL. It was always in someone else's replies before.

The fact that my first time pulling that off is with a trans meme I made of my favorite comedian feels pretty good. X3

Goatmon on

• Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    It's been a long 2 weeks, but I'm finally headed home! We rented a place near the hospital so we could easily report back with any early issues.

Turned out to be a good call. I had a bleeding complication from dilation (took too much ibuprofen I think) and had to go to the ER so the on call resident could come put packing back in.

After a couple days healing I had a better dilation, except I'm not as deep as I thought (lawd) and wound up hurting myself and threatening internal sutures.

Dilating is really not working out for me so far. Hopefully with more healing and lessons learned it'll get better tomorrow as I try again (maybe tonight, but it still feels sore, and last night made it worse even with me being gentle).

Anyway this has been weird and gross and scary and magical and wonderful.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Dilating at the beginning is horribly annoying and painful.
    They had us do it three times a day -_-

I'm supposed to. I haven't gotten there, and I finally figured out why.

There was a miscommunication between my surgeon and the physical therapist on my depth. So I was instructed to aim for a dot too far.

First time, tons of bleeding and ER (suture damage probably). Second time, substantial soreness and modest bleeding.

I'm kind of furious now. Hopefully it'll heal quick enough that I can get on schedule, no lasting damage. Ugh, this was so avoidable.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
    Hang in there @Fleur de Alys **
    Sounds like the medical team really messed up, no wonder you're furious
    But, I hope you're resting and recovering well now so you'll soon be back on track & that your awesome partner is cheering you up and making it easier to get through this

I'm getting through this
    Y'all are great, thanks 💜

Holidays can be tough for many of us. The pandemic decreases our ability to spend them with chosen family.

To anyone alone or stuck with people who refuse to accept you - you're seen and loved. Vent or reach out if you need to. It'll get better.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I just had a realization about a bi moment from my childhood.

There were a few times as a kid where, while watching TV, something happening on screen ended up turning me on. Obviously as a kid I didn't know what arousal was, I just felt things I didn't know how to describe or explain. A memorable one was when Kirk and Uhura kiss in that one Star Trek episode.

I just realized that another one happened while watching Carol Burnett reruns in the 80s. And it was because of Vicki Lawrence.

It was this dumb sketch, of all things:

https://youtu.be/pnbpwac0RM4

Though keep in mind I was 9 or 10 at the time.

The combo of her black slinky gown and the sounds she makes when she walks really worked for 10 yo Cambiata.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    LOL, you were a cool kid at 10 @Cambiata

Shall we do a round of happy QUILTBAG memories for the holidays? : )

My best memory is last year. Christmas was the first time I went to my parents' in femme mode, the first time they saw me as me outside of pictures. And it went well. Somehow, it went well.

I'm incredibly lucky.

What a nice memory!
    Your parents are lucky to have an awesome daughter like you @Fleur de Alys , I'm sure they know that ^ ^

OK, I'll do the next happy memory...

The time I spent New year's with the girl I loved
    We redecorated my flat to look like a tropical island and ran around in swimsuits, just the two of us. She wasn't in love with me, but that didn't matter one bit, my favourite new years by far still all these years later

Happy QUILTmas everyone! : )

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I also remember that instead of thinking it was funny, I thought it was tragic that robot Vicki Lawrence couldn't speak.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    So a bonus that I didn't consider when I decided to grow my hair out when I realized the whole agender thing was that oh ok, there is hair that can be pulled/grabbed now.

edited January 2021
    Discovered a fun new kink @Weaver ? : P
    (JK, glad to hear you're enjoying the long hair)

I hope 2021 has started well for everyone

I've really enjoyed playing through this LGBTQ+ positive game that @21stCentury recommended to me: I especially like how it was written from people's actual experiences of coming out to their families...
    I feel like it could be used as an educational tool for families especially given
    clear portrayals of supportive behaviours and responses, even after tough events like family members' prejudiced actions

PirateQueen on
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Discovered a fun new kink Weaver ? : P
    (JK, glad to hear you're enjoying the long hair)

I hope 2021 has started well for everyone

I've really enjoyed playing through this LGBTQ+ positive game that 21stCentury recommended to me: I especially like how it was written from people's actual experiences of coming out to their families...
    I feel like it could be used as an educational tool for families especially given
    clear portrayals of supportive behaviours and responses, even after tough events like family members' prejudiced actions

Please be sure to check out Secret Little Haven as well.

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Two really exciting, affirming things happened today:

-I received my birthday card from my parents and it is addressed to my new name, and I'm kinda feeling like I'm gonna always keep it as a token of my first birthday as the real me.

-I've got breast buds, y'all.

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    So I recently read Ann Leckie's Provenance, her new novel set in the Ancillary Justice universe. It's, to me, trans as hell without being explicitly about trans characters.
    The most obvious bit is the language - we're in a different culture/world than the Radch, so people talk differently. Everyone on this world uses almost exclusively gender neutral pronouns to talk about anyone else - e/eir/em.
    We also have a secondary character about whom a big deal is made that they chose their second/adult name later in life (25), and it's revealed she never felt it was the right time to do so since she never felt grown up.
    She and the main character also develop a lesbian relationship.
    A few characters in the book are said to have been one gender at one time and are different now, or that they can change throughout their life.
    There's a ton about identity and the name you choose to go by, a lot of self-determination and dealing with the world and outside forces when they refuse to acknowledge your choice of identity (edited)
    A lot about how a people or culture defines themselves, by what objects, and what makes something meaningful or how it shapes your history.
    Of course, all this is stapled to a bunch of politics and a couple action scenes, as is usual for her novels.

It was a good book, maybe not quite up to the punch and standards of Justice, but enjoyable, and a nice exploration of other worlds and cultures in the universe. It follows on from the events in the Ancillary series, in that the things that happened there are referenced and drive the scenes and motivations for some of the background movers, but you don't really need to have read that series to enjoy this one.

Oh also I'm wearing a sports bra to work now and it feels real good

• Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    I love my sports bras

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I am so excited!!

I switched insurance providers to try and get better trans healthcare and it looks like it it working out!

I talked with an Endo who was great about what I wanted for my soaring and I have started to get referrals to start the process for various surgeries!

I am also going to start voice coaching next week!

This was a hell year but I survived and with that energy I am going to push hard on heavy focus towards transition.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    So I've noticed that, oddly enough, ever since budding my nipples have been less painful than the first four and change weeks? Is that a normal thing?

Also I discovered that body pillows are really good for sleeping on your side while growing.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    So I've noticed that, oddly enough, ever since budding my nipples have been less painful than the first four and change weeks? Is that a normal thing?

Also I discovered that body pillows are really good for sleeping on your side while growing.

Yup, very normal.

Psykoma wrote: »

Yup, very normal.

Cool.

It's still amazing to see how much they've changed already, and it's not even been six weeks.

• jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    So, I've been on HRT for 6 months, and like... I don't know. Part of me feels ok about how things are going, and part of me is just incredibly depressed that it seems like nothing has changed. My hair loss hasn't stopped even with completely nuked testosterone levels, so I feel especially crap about that.
    day 0 to 6 months
    0bvx7sj35eyk.jpg
    ola1djxv1i37.jpg

I feel like all that has changed is that I can muster a smile now. Maybe that alone is enough.

Non hrt wise, so much has changed in the last 6 months. I've changed my name, I've moved country, I live with a person I actually like now. I came out to all my family and friends. My life is in a better place. Still, I'm desperately unhappy, and I need to work on fixing that, I'm just not sure how.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    The smile is certainly good to see, but there's plenty more difference than that. Your skin looks fantastic for starters. The rest is is more subtle but adds up. I wouldn't say you look like a whole different person, more like old you had a cute sister that nobody knew about.

UnbrokenEva on
This discussion has been closed.