As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PC Build Thread] Nope, you still can't buy anything

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Oof, an xfx for the same price as a 3080¿

steam_sig.png
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Spoit wrote: »
    Oof, an xfx for the same price as a 3080¿

At this point they could sell me a piece of cardboard for $900 and I'll gladly hand over cash for it.

EDIT; To be clear, this is not the card I want. The card I want is either the 6800 XT Nitro+ or the LE Red Devil. But since those cards don't exist this is what I bought.

I'll try my hand again at getting what I actually want down the road and then sell this one off to someone.

Again, assuming this card is real and BB doesn't fucking cancel it a few days from now.

Now if you'll excuse me I have several discords to unsub from, and one to give another donation to since it's the only one that got me any of the parts I was trying to get (ATR Stonks FYI)

Thawmus on
    Twitch: Thawmus83
  • KaruwenKaruwen Registered User regular
    Had this ordered, with expected arrival in late january. Guess what showed up today! Early christmas present, woo!
    jt0xtbp8x9m4.jpg

Steam, Xbox Live & PSN : Karuwen
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Grats Thawmus! The nice thing about BB is they might delay fulfilling your order if they got too many, but they don't typically cancel completed orders. Unlike Newegg.

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Had to dig the car out from the snowstorm but I got the 3080 TUF OC home!

Gonna do wife's build with it once we can nab a 5600X.

OrokosPA.png
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    And now that my order has shipped, I can finally post this from Best Buy's morning drops;

b7k41hsfdf2g.png

Praise be to Best Buy, deliverer of technology

Best Buy just confirmed shipment for me as well, and the Jan 7th delivery has been moved up to Dec 30th.

Praise Best Buy, the Not-Newegg of online stores.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    One day Bowen will also have a 3080.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Karuwen wrote: »
    Had this ordered, with expected arrival in late january. Guess what showed up today! Early christmas present, woo!
    jt0xtbp8x9m4.jpg

Got this same card on Monday. Stopped in at my local store for some cables and went past the GPU counter and there were two sitting there. I had to do quite a bit of rearranging in my case to make it fit but man does it run smooth.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    I’d recommend looking at the B550 Aorus Pro, it’s got great connectivity and thermals for the price.

Just be sure to buy a 3rd party warranty if you go with gigabyte, because their RMA department WILL screw you over at the first chance
    bowen wrote: »
    One day Bowen will also have a 3080.

Probably well before the day V1m gets a 6800XT, if that's any comfort to you.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Man I remember when I thought stock would normalize for Nvidia stuff in October

What an idiot

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Man I remember when I thought stock would normalize for Nvidia stuff in October

What an idiot

If it makes you feel better I've been thinking it'd probably stabilize sometime in January and I don't think that's going to age well...

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    It seems to be stabilizing a bit in Canada maybe, around Winnipeg here we got quite a few people spotted getting stock/cards (mine this week included) and resellers popping up fresh again. Some in hand, some with delivery dates in January.

OrokosPA.png
    Ryzen 5600s are actually staying in stock for human-observable periods of time now, in the UK at least. The situation is easing.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I was predicting by March

I'm not wrong yet!

• NumiNumi Registered User regular
    The AMD supply situation in Sweden is also a bit weird. My preferred retailer looks to have 100+ 5600x's for sale but every other zen3 is not only out of stock but also those queues have barely moved since launch. For instance the 5900x queue has only gotten through the first two minutes worth of launch day orders.

Orca wrote: »
    I was predicting by March

I'm not wrong yet!

Yeah I'm kind of aimed at mid-late february, but I won't be surprised if I don't get one until after Easter. Whatevs, I won't die of it.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'm going to guess Late June or Early July, covid is still fucking everything.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    If it's by June or July I'll probably just sit this generation out and jump in with DDR5 in like...another couple years.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm waiting for DDR5 and 12VO before I make the jump to the new stuff

Yeah I'm pretty sure that when the next gen of products launch there'll still be the same ratfuckery. Even without covid, this is what buying in-demand products is going to look like now until someone has the impetus to stop it.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Numi wrote: »
    The AMD supply situation in Sweden is also a bit weird. My preferred retailer looks to have 100+ 5600x's for sale but every other zen3 is not only out of stock but also those queues have barely moved since launch. For instance the 5900x queue has only gotten through the first two minutes worth of launch day orders.

5800x and 5600x were both reeeeeasonably available while I was hunting in the UK. This was with me sat with a drops discord open on a 2nd screen while working though, so probably not a million miles behind a bot with any sane refresh rate.

Not so much as a hint of 5900x or 5950x, not a sausage.

There's definitely part of me that wishes I'd waited to get a 5900. I tend to wait a good 4 or 5 years between upgrades and I wonder if the extra cores will become a serious factor by then.

Campy on
  • DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    Last bit (an SSD) for my rig showed today, so I finally re-assembled it and cleaned it all up:
    DGZimvm.jpg?1
    HurAE29.jpg?1

Even my ancient HAF (and messy desk) looks halfway decent with a little ambient backlight.

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • useruser Registered User regular
    My MOBO (Aorus Master x570) arrived, thankfully its rev. 1.2.

Memory is shipping a little earlier than expected but the CPU 5950x from Wal-Mart has no updates as of yet.

I'm a 2080ti and I won't be swapping it until the 3080Ti comes out, at that time I'll redo my loop and add a second radiator. I'm mulling over what color fluid to run, I went with a very Thanos opaque purple last time, so far its held up well so I guess props to Mayhems Pastel.

edited December 2020
    Campy wrote: »

5800x and 5600x were both reeeeeasonably available while I was hunting in the UK. This was with me sat with a drops discord open on a 2nd screen while working though, so probably not a million miles behind a bot with any sane refresh rate.

There's definitely part of me that wishes I'd waited to get a 5900. I tend to wait a good 4 or 5 years between upgrades and I wonder if the extra cores will become a serious factor by then.

I think 8c/16t will be ok in 4 years, in the same way that a 6c/6t is ok right now: it'll run the large majority of games that people actually play well enough, and it'll get the job done with the newer ones, but there will be a perceptible advantage to having more cores. But per-core performance will still be at least as important. Unless there's some big change in compilers and the way code is distributed*, there will always be a strong incentive for developers to target the left side of the bell curve in terms of core/thread count. (That's one reason that AMD were smart to make the console APUs 8c/16t, and to make 6c/12t and 8c/16t CPUs far cheaper - even with inflated Zen3 prices - than they were a few years ago. They've normalised 12+ thread CPUs)

Your mileage will vary depending on what kind of games you want to play, of course.

*eg: Microsoft implement a proper package manager with localised code compilation options so you can set your options to match your hardware.

V1m on
    So I'm done with Cyberpunk, so I figure I want to see Witcher 3 maxed the f out on the new 3070.

So I load it up and... it's running at 5-10 fps during the opening intro. No exaggeration.

What the fuck.

Fuck

Now it looks like I'm

*hrrrrrmph*

Reinstalling Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Thanks bunches, Geralt, you choppy stop motion fuck

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited December 2020
    Fuck

Now it looks like I'm

*hrrrrrmph*

Wait on that one anyways.

Sometime mid next year, CDPR is doing a free update for PC to coincide with Witcher 3 getting the next gen console treatment, which will provide much better textures, better HDR, and Ray Tracing.

I've already played through the game twice, and I suspect a third visit is in my future once that comes out.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    syndalis wrote: »
    Fuck

Now it looks like I'm

*hrrrrrmph*

Sometime mid next year, CDPR is doing a free update for PC to coincide with Witcher 3 getting the next gen console treatment, which will provide much better textures, better HDR, and Ray Tracing.

I've already played through the game twice, and I suspect a third visit is in my future once that comes out.

If I can fix Witcher 3 playing like Cyberpunk on a base PS4 with a failing graphics card, yeah, I'll be all over that next gen stuff.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider sure is a pretty game, tho. Too bad the gameplay is fucking awful.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Fuck

Now it looks like I'm

*hrrrrrmph*

If I can fix Witcher 3 playing like Cyberpunk on a base PS4 with a failing graphics card, yeah, I'll be all over that next gen stuff.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider sure is a pretty game, tho. Too bad the gameplay is fucking awful.

Something is wrong with your install, or setup then.

Witcher 3 played really well on my 16" macbook pro from 2019 at max settings, 3440x1440, there is no reason your machine shouldn't be running circles around it.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    edited December 2020
    Fuck

Now it looks like I'm

*hrrrrrmph*

Something is wrong with your install, or setup then.

Witcher 3 played really well on my 16" macbook pro from 2019 at max settings, 3440x1440, there is no reason your machine shouldn't be running circles around it.

Witcher 3 played like butter on my 2060.

I just went through Cyberpunk being closer to 60 than not, SoTTR about the same completely cranked, Monster Hunter never going below 60 even in the middle of a fight with a lot of effects, and Path of Exile sitting at a cool 100+.

Edit: Even Horizon Zero Dawn is 70+ with everything turned all the way the hell up, and Control is 60+ with RT and DLSS on consistently.

I'll try to reinstall

jungleroomx on

Scan are showing the 5800X in stock at the moment, for the low, low price of £430.

Reinstall did the trick.

Damn this game looks good on an HDR monitor.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

Scan are showing the 5800X in stock at the moment, for the low, low price of £430.

That's not too far over RRP though right? Albeit it's overpriced for what it does compared to the other chips in the lineup.

My 60 fps in cyberpunk with all shinies on makes that particular bitter pill go down a little easier though :D

It would be a very strong upgrade to my 2700, but pointless without a better GPU. So I shan't buy the one until I have the other.

• DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    Update.
    1440p Monitor showed up yesterday. Took it home. Set it up this morning, had 45 minutes to try it out. Just did some daily stuff in WoW.
    Verdict so far: Pleased.
    Not the first time I've seen above 60fps in person, but the first time I've been at the controls. Smooth. Can only notice any judder if i focus for it. Colours are vibrant. Can only detect colour banding if I look for it. I think I like the HDR? I know it's rating is not super high, but I think it looks better on. Raytracing in WoW I find to be 'meh', but I can only notice the performance hit in certain areas with lots of fires on screen at once.
    Hit up the Greench, and had probably 40+ people all unloading at once. FPS counter dropped from 130 to barely above 60, but it didn't feel like. Guessing that's the Gsync.

Will test other games over the next few days, but I suspect I'll enjoy significant improvement.

edited December 2020
    Durkhanus wrote: »
    Update.
    1440p Monitor showed up yesterday. Took it home. Set it up this morning, had 45 minutes to try it out. Just did some daily stuff in WoW.
    Not the first time I've seen above 60fps in person, but the first time I've been at the controls. Smooth. Can only notice any judder if i focus for it. Colours are vibrant. Can only detect colour banding if I look for it. I think I like the HDR? I know it's rating is not super high, but I think it looks better on. Raytracing in WoW I find to be 'meh', but I can only notice the performance hit in certain areas with lots of fires on screen at once.
    Hit up the Greench, and had probably 40+ people all unloading at once. FPS counter dropped from 130 to barely above 60, but it didn't feel like. Guessing that's the Gsync.

Will test other games over the next few days, but I suspect I'll enjoy significant improvement.

Just know that any drop BELOW 60 fps is going to feel worse than any drop TO 60 fps. I dont care if its 300 to 60, that will feel better than 60 to 45.

After you get used to 100+ fps gaming, 60 can sometimes feel a bit iffy, but usually ignorable after a while if its constant.

30 fps is something I just can't do anymore.

jungleroomx on
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Durkhanus wrote: »
    Update.

Just know that any drop BELOW 60 fps is going to feel worse than any drop TO 60 fps. I dont care if its 300 to 60, that will feel better than 60 to 45.

After you get used to 100+ fps gaming, 60 can sometimes feel a bit iffy, but usually ignorable after a while if its constant.

30 fps is something I just can't do anymore.

I think gsync helps a lot with this, sub 45 used to be unplayable but with gsync (or maybe age?) it's not unbearable. Definitely not preferred but it wasn't as god awful as it used to be.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Mobile gaming, you say?
    z462go6gbf6f.jpg

• NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Returning to our regularly scheduled programming, I wasted the entire 2 weeks I spent off for the holidays not being able to work on my 2004 Retro PC. The ASUS K8V Deluxe mobo didn't work and had all kinds of bizarre behavior. Posted only 1/4 the time, the rest I could hear capacitors gently discharging over the PC Speaker. The AGP slot caused the BIOS to beep a "Parity Error" code. It always boot into the BIOS instead of a boot device. The SATA ports only worked some of the time.

The ECS NForce3-A motherboard I ordered to replace it got lost in the mail.

Most recently I got a good deal on a Gigabyte KA GA-K8NSC-939 board with an included Athlon 3700+. Wasn't the socket I was aiming for, but it does have an AGP slot which is a must, and since the processor is included I'm not too bent out of shape about the socket.

Fingers crossed on this one.

This discussion has been closed.