As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

*loading a shotgun & getting on the rocket ship* moon's haunted (Spelunky 2) - STEAM/PS4

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    hahah oh my god

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    We can't see the vampires because our telescopes use mirrors.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    @Tofystedeth recently gifted me this and I've been slowly but surely getting into the rhythm of it; it's fucking brutally difficult and I do nothing but laugh my ass off at how many ways I've died only 6.5 hours of total gameplay.

There's definitely a different ... cadence(?) ... to the sequel, and even though I'm not shit hot at the original, I'm not bad. But this fucking game? I'm learning so much more through experimentation than I ever did with the first one, so there's constantly pleasant surprises along with spectacular deaths. I've purposefully avoided spoilers and FAQ's, so I'm hoping to keep the enthusiasm rolling for awhile.

Thanks again, Tofy, you're the best, dude.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    This one line in the latest patch notes is kind of weird:
    • Mounts' hitboxes slightly widened so they should be harder to miss and easier to ride

It sounds reasonable enough, but it also means that mounts can walk over 1tile wide gaps without having to run and it can take some finagling if you want to go into said gap.

In this screenshot the turkey can't fit through the hole, because the push block has been moved ever so slightly. An unmounted player can fit just fine.
    CAADC6A00C0D593F5A86D838A21AB715151769B1

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Whaddya mean what wait for the moon announcement

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    I finally got my first win. Only took 613 attempts!

Details in spoiler, in case anyone is still avoiding spoilers.
    I've been watching a streamer (Twigglesoft) and tried copying a technique for getting into the secret exit in Tidepool 4-3 without using the ankh. I realized too late that I didn't have enough ropes and even took so long that the ghost showed up. I ended up dying, lost ankh and Vlad's cape and didn't even make it to the secret exit.

Still managed to take Excalibur with me and used it to kill Tiamat.

Ice Caves and Neo Babylon were largely uneventful. I used climbing gloves to avoid the yeti cave and bombed my way past most of Neo Babylon.

I was surprised to see that I had gotten two different gems on my entrance door. I guess one is for regular win and the other is for no shortcuts.

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    I was surprised to see that I had gotten two different gems on my entrance door. I guess one is for regular win and the other is for no shortcuts.
    Pretty sure this is right. I only had one gem when I cleared it on PS4, probably because I was practicing from shortcuts at the time.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    100 Deaths! Woot!

• Options
    I guess I might actually be getting better at Spelunky 2, as I just managed to get a second win.

I was on track to getting to world 7, but I managed to mess up the very last part.
    Going up with the flying goat looked easy when I saw streamers do it, but I managed to fly into a laser. Miraculously I didn't die and threw bombs at Tiamat's face instead.

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I found a secret Tun shop linked to Yang's vault

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1hLe8rSir0

BjjeDKHh.jpg

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    Note to self: Maybe don't experiment with what exactly will set off explosive boxes on a daily.

Turns out using a mattock to dig out the tile just below an explosive box will instantly set it off.

• Options
    Fucking hell I died flying up with Qilin AGAIN. That's 0 for 3 now.

It's such a pain in the ass to get there in the first place too

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    Fucking hell I died flying up with Qilin AGAIN. That's 0 for 3 now.

It's such a pain in the ass to get there in the first place too

I'm happy to know that I'm not the only one to do that.

• Options
    Yessss I finally made it through the lasers, and beat Hundun first try!

I could have gone Cosmic as I had the bow in Waddler, but I didn't want to risk the Sun Challenge, plus you don't get the Hunden ending if you do that. I guess I'll fill out the journal and get all the trophies now.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I'm a bit mystified as to why I'm so bad at this game; I was actually rather good at the first one. Beat Yama a bunch of times, got the Speedlunky achievement and then did it for fun a few more times, etc. But I still have yet to advance past either of the second stages. Obviously it's much harder than the first game, and I was rusty to start, but I'm struggling. Ah well, it'll come to me.

That said, I've also had some shit luck. I've gotten to Vlad twice now. The first time, Van Horsing missed his shot (which I thought had been patched??) and I took damage before I finally managed to force Vlad to telefrag himself, only to be killed by a stray vampire almost immediately after grabbing the cape. Then just now, I was climbing up the ladder underneath him to get some gems when one of the helping hands dropped an arrow on me and killed me (which I also thought had been patched...)

Edit: Also the best feature which I don't know if I unlocked or was patched in is that you can pet one of the damsels on the cave entrance screen.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Does entering the city of gold anger Tun? I ask because that's the only explanation I can think of for why she showed up and killed me in the run I just did.

If she got aggroed before that I'm surprised I didn't see her earlier.

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Does entering the city of gold anger Tun? I ask because that's the only explanation I can think of for why she showed up and killed me in the run I just did.

If she got aggroed before that I'm surprised I didn't see her earlier.
    No, absolutely not. She always appears in 4-2 though, so something must've happened there to set her off.

I don't think I've ever seen Tun specifically get aggro'd without any player involvement, but I would certainly believe it happening.

• Options
    Weird, I never even saw the stars challenge because the city of gold door was in the top left.

• Options
    God damn it every time I farm up 99HP in Vlad's castle, I screw up the Olmec fight and get tossed into the lava.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    I decided to recreate a thing I did for Spelunky where I documented my daily challenge deaths

https://youtu.be/_Bs1iS33wtc

• Options
    I just made a ton, like an enormous amount of progress on one run. Unlocked two new characters, saw three new areas for the first time. Farthest I'd ever gotten was 4-2, 4-3. Uncovered at least one secret.
    Spoilers for worlds 4, 5, and 6.
    I got this great run where I got, though various means, a shotgun, fifty ish bombs, a jetpack, and Kali's cup. Used the bombs to beat Olmec and got the Ankh. I had noticed the locked door in the Pyramid area and I wondered if I might need the Ankh to open it. Instead I killed Anubis (for the first time) since I had a shotgun and he dropped a Staff that I picked up. Almost killed myself with it the first time I used it, at it shoots a homing attack to the nearest non-you creature and there was an enemy behind me. Got to the door in 4-2, and lo and behold it seems like it took the staff not the Ankh to open the door. Sent me to a special one level area that I won't spoil. I unlocked one character there, and it's possible there might still be some secrets left for me to find in that place. It has a lot of suspicious set ups that I wasn't sure what to make of, but I didn't spend too much time investigating since I didn't have my shotgun or staff anymore and the enemies were pretty dangerous. It sent me back to the Pyramid and I managed to use my jetpack to skirt through it.

Got to world 5 for the first time, got through that, unlocked one character, got to world 6... and died twice pretty quickly.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I decided to recreate a thing I did for Spelunky where I documented my daily challenge deaths

https://youtu.be/_Bs1iS33wtc

I saw #9 coming the instant the clip started.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    I wanted to try expanding my recording of dailies to doing both Spelunky and Spelunky 2. Apparently I fucked up and forgot to actually start recording before starting my daily in 1. I even got to Yama (didn't beat him, though).

Time to start my Spelunky 2 daily and die to some stupid bullshit in 1-3.

EDIT: Correction, I only made it to 1-2. I got stubborn and still wanted to get the udjat eye after the curse pot had been broken. A lizard bounced me right into the ghost.

Peewi on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Peewi, I just want you to know that some of those deaths are gorgeous physical comedy, and #7 was an absolutely relatable "you can tell that a series of mistakes was involved in just getting to this point" moment.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    I'm glad you liked it.

It was really just the one mistake of carelessly hitting an idol with the shotgun, flooding the place with lava.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Finally

ce6z1cnz6uxn.jpg

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
  • Options
    Found another sekrit. Aliens. Aliens. Spoilers for hints:
    First you must find a vampire hunter and his prey, this search deep in a pyramid to show you the way.

• Options
    TwiggleSoft is very good at Spelunky.

https://youtu.be/XbbDQxb5LP8

This one contains a spoiler (actually, a couple spoilers I guess) in the title:

GrandPooBear is also good at Spelunky, but this isn't it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlGexSQvZCc

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    I finally made it to Cosmic! I died 2 levels in because I had no jetpack and it gave me 2 huge temple levels in a row, but I got there.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    vk0mn7z.png

8-)

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    On my 1938th attempt, I finally beat Spelunky 2.
    Tiamat/credits, none of the other bosses (yet).

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    On my 1938th attempt, I finally beat Spelunky 2.
    Tiamat/credits, none of the other bosses (yet).

I confidently assert that I never will.

• Options
    It's just like most things. If you keep trying, eventually you will. That said, if you decide to stop trying there's nothing wrong with that either! Do what's best for you!

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    I beat Tiamat for the first time... and then died trying to go... up.

• Options
    I beat Tiamat for the second time... and then died trying to go up.

• Options
    I have now also beaten Tiamat twice, and that is enough to have me start trying for the Speedlunky achievement. I've had some good runs, one where I died due chain reaction bullshit on the last or second to last level before Tiamat, but haven't quite managed it.

Real strong, facetious.