As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Shadowlands: Chains of Domination June 29th!

RoeRoe Always to the EastRegistered User regular
edited June 2021 in MMO Extravaganza
ezlezkopdyqj.jpg

World of Warcraft's new Expansion is now Live!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD2FblMlOY4

c689m3a2u04h.jpg

Featuring 4 different Covenants that you align yourself with to level up and gain unique powers, transmogs, mounts, and, unique quests. (Think class halls, but not just for your class).

49804-oribos-skybox-explained.jpg

Shadowlands features a hub city a lot like Dalaran named Oribos, The Undying City.

en-world-of-warcraft-season-pass-castle-nathria-heroic.png

June 29th there will be a new content patch called Chains of Domination. This patch will continue the storyline of Shadowlands, and add a new plethora of new things to do, including a new zone to explore.

oHw5R0V.jpg
Roe on

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I always love doing the world boss within the first hours of it being available because the lag is almost unplayable.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    Ah, I like hard modes, too

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Don’t be like me. Don’t rush to kill the world boss before you get the anima weekly covenant quest. Just don’t do it.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    So, um, is there a good guide available anywhere yet for the Command/Mission Table for Shadowlands? I've picked up the basics, but every video I've found about it just explains the stuff I've found to be pretty obvious (e.g., you can use multiple troops, how to see the stats on your guys, etc.). Like being able to predict where your guys and the enemies are going to do their auto attacks. For example, enemies that are claimed to attack the nearest/farthest unit do not always seem clear/consistent on what that means when the fight plays out. I haven't failed any missions yet or anything, but I just get the feeling there will be more difficult or higher level missions I'll want to complete eventually that will require more optimal setups.

forty on
    Well with the world boss I got the good memory for unholy dps, but it makes me sad that the explodey more fun one isn't as useful.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Don’t be like me. Don’t rush to kill the world boss before you get the anima weekly covenant quest. Just don’t do it.

I did that, but there are plenty 250 amina quests on the map + the weekly so it wasn't a big deal.

(Seriously, don't get why people complain about WQs that you barely have to do anyways).

TryCatcher on
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Leveling up my Venthyr troops past 30 to have a ghost of a chance at a 20 mission is so dumb, especially when night fae could do it with 15s.

steam_sig.png
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Got into a Castle Nathria PUG this morning that cleared 10/10 with maybe four wipes. Upgraded my gloves, boots, ring, and shield. So that ruled.

Gonna be a good week for M+, and maybe to try Heroic Nathria.

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    I found this week's affix irritating more than anything else.

Smrtnik wrote: »
    Leveling up my Venthyr troops past 30 to have a ghost of a chance at a 20 mission is so dumb, especially when night fae could do it with 15s.
    Wait the different covenants have different effectiveness at missions?

edited December 2020
    forty wrote: »

Eventually (once you unlock EVERYTHING) it's supposed to be more or less equivalent, like Starcraft factions. But Blizz forgot that they dole or the stuff in tiny parts of the whole over the course of many weeks. They specifically admitted it recently. The filler troops have different powers as do the individuals you recruit.

So at low covenant levels, the order of power is approximately Night Fae > Necrolord >>>> Kyrian > Venthyr.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular

hehe yes my new tuesday ritual is before doing ANYTHING else go to covenant hall and accept all the quests. Fool me once shame on you.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So are there any potions or trinkets I can use to avoid the mind control or stuns from the bosses in waycrest and mechagon?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    If I'm in the 96 percentile for all sub rogues but like 50% for those near my ilvl it means I'm poorely stat optimized or what exactly? I'm just over 201 now.

steam_sig.png
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Could be poor optimization, could be rotational issues. You can rule the latter out or in by comparing your logs to top logs and sim parses.

edited December 2020
    If I'm in the 96 percentile for all sub rogues but like 50% for those near my ilvl it means I'm poorely stat optimized or what exactly? I'm just over 201 now.

It could mean you’re poorly stat-optimized. It could mean you’re going into fights with less flasks/food/buffs (since most people at 201 are probably part of very organized groups). It could mean you’re executing less optimally than others. It’s most likely a combination of the three.

You might try running your log through the analyzer.

admanb on
    Stragint wrote: »
    So are there any potions or trinkets I can use to avoid the mind control or stuns from the bosses in waycrest and mechagon?

Boss mechanics are generally built specifically to not be canceled by any gear, so that you have to play the mechanic. It’s unlikely you’ll find such a workaround outside of a bug or exploit.

• pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    Somehow my entire vault was downgrades this week.

Feels pretty fucking disappointing with how much they talked up this new system.

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    The new system, same as the old system.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Like we’re all your rewards just low ilvl? The way secondaries are scaling ilvl is much more significant than it was before

• Drunken BastardDrunken Bastard Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    kaid wrote: »

hehe yes my new tuesday ritual is before doing ANYTHING else go to covenant hall and accept all the quests. Fool me once shame on you.

Well it's the only thing I ever get from these bastards. 5 Kills (3 on the warrior, 2 on the rogue) and no drops whatsoever, not even a conduit. Just 70ish gold and the anima. They are a bit too stingy with drops this expansion. Meanwhile in PvP you can get upgrades at a steady pace if you can stomach it.

Drunken Bastard on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I'd also like to take a moment to complain about the new loot system.

Two weeks of raids and I've gotten 0 drops. Two weeks of M+ and I've gotten 0 drops until last night.

That means I've only accumulated 3 "good" pieces of gear so far. Two from my great vault, and one from the Mythic Dungeon weekly event last week. There are 18 total gear slots. I've got 3/18 slots filled with 200+ gear. And my very first ever M+ item dropped last night. It was in one of those 3 slots I already have a piece in. So frustrated with this new loot system.

It gave me items I'm already wearing, same ilvl but no tertiary stats.

• Drunken BastardDrunken Bastard Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I am very tempted to gear my Outlaw rouge up in PvP right now, esp as they LOVE vers and all the gear has it. Might switch to sub for that. Now I kinda wish I had not sold that BoE dagger last week. But hey 200k..

Edit: Turns out I am very rusty at sub. But its fun if I can get it right. Not the easiest spec.

Drunken Bastard on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Fight duration also plays a big role; you’re gonna wind up parsing higher in a big raid with shorter kill times than in a smaller raid that’s struggling through (rankings are bad data essentially)

Try to compare against people of similar ilvl and kill time

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    pardzh wrote: »

If you're not doing content that rewards you higher ilvl in the vault than you're wearing then of course your vault will not give you upgrades.

I'm not sure why this is noteworthy.

Dhalphir wrote: »

If you're not doing content that rewards you higher ilvl in the vault than you're wearing then of course your vault will not give you upgrades.

presumably they're in something like 5/18 200+ and 13/18 170-190 and got nothing but the 5/18 in their vault.

I'm not sure why it it's hard to understand why that would be frustrating

Limit back to back champions! That last fight good lord.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Dhalphir wrote: »

I'm not sure what's hard to understand about being annoyed by getting a "choice" of three items I'm already wearing. Clearly I was expecting a 200 anyway.

edited December 2020

Eventually (once you unlock EVERYTHING) it's supposed to be more or less equivalent, like Starcraft factions. But Blizz forgot that they dole or the stuff in tiny parts of the whole over the course of many weeks. They specifically admitted it recently. The filler troops have different powers as do the individuals you recruit.

So at low covenant levels, the order of power is approximately Night Fae > Necrolord >>>> Kyrian > Venthyr.
    Obviously I don't know how it is for the other covenants, but the very first companion I started with already annoys me. He has a heal ability, but since your team always goes first (which is good in general), it's almost always a complete waste. He just throws a heal on a full health troop and it does nothing. The text claims it also increases their max health by 10%, but apparently that's a lie because the health on the UI never changes. The one time so far I had a fight go long enough that he could use the heal again, the troop nearest him had just died in the last round, so the heal ended up just going on another full health troop.

It all feels very suboptimal and hard to build around.

forty on
    Amplifying the challenge of early mission tables is the fact that your filler troops level is the average of all of your companions, which means that early on when you get a new companion from Torghast/the story, your troops drop a ton of levels -- and since you only have 1-3 companions you rely on the filler being good.

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    So apparently somehow my mouseover macro Word of Glory got replaced with a non-macro Word of Glory at some point and so I'd been playing with it effectively at half power (because I was usually trying to use it on the tank, and the tank usually had beacon, so I could see SOME healing hit them and not think anything was weird).

Now I get to be paranoid about every single ability on every single healer.

• Coconut MonkeyCoconut Monkey Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Obviously I don't know how it is for the other covenants, but the very first companion I started with already annoys me. He has a heal ability, but since your team always goes first (which is good in general), it's almost always a complete waste. He just throws a heal on a full health troop and it does nothing. The text claims it also increases their max health by 10%, but apparently that's a lie because the health on the UI never changes. The one time so far I had a fight go long enough that he could use the heal again, the troop nearest him had just died in the last round, so the heal ended up just going on another full health troop.

It all feels very suboptimal and hard to build around.

It definitely sucks. Like if I want to do a hard mission on my Kyrian Paladin, I have to roll out all the high level chonks and try to place them as best I can to murder the dangerous things first or murder the trash to get to the dangerous thing, and in a lot of cases they'll still come back injured or unconscious. On the Night Fae alt? I can grab ONE healer companion with bugger all HP, and surround them with the basic melee troop. The 4 troops reduce every monster's damage by 80% ever other turn, and the companion heals the primary meatshield for a large amount and occasionally makes ALL the other troops do double damage. Everything I've thrown them at has been a complete pushover.

Somehow my entire vault was downgrades this week.

Feels pretty fucking disappointing with how much they talked up this new system.

Look, I get the frustration, but if you only raid, that's the risk you take and you had a head's up from the vault UI on what to expect. I don't know if you knew that it draws from all raid loot, even the stuff you already have, but them's the breaks. If you want a better chance at actual upgrades, you have to do at least one M+ with a sufficiently levelled key, or get a decent enough rating in PvP. If you can't do those, well, the best you can do is kill the last bosses to add the chance for 207 loot.

Coconut Monkey on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    tbh it should be pretty danged obvious that the new system is more likely to give you an upgrade; you get 3-4-5-whatever bites at the apple instead of just one

sometimes none of the loots are gonna be upgrades because that's how the game works

NREqxl5.jpg
    admanb wrote: »

Boss mechanics are generally built specifically to not be canceled by any gear, so that you have to play the mechanic. It’s unlikely you’ll find such a workaround outside of a bug or exploit.

That is a little frustrating.

I'm gonna sit in the dungeon and see if I can find any groups that have space to join.

Not much further to go for pathfinder too so that is nice at least. Turtle people and the mechagnomes seem like the more difficult ones to rep up with.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

edited December 2020

I'm gonna sit in the dungeon and see if I can find any groups that have space to join.

Not much further to go for pathfinder too so that is nice at least. Turtle people and the mechagnomes seem like the more difficult ones to rep up with.
    With the scaling tech it's frankly a little disappointing there doesn't seem to be a way for a solo player to be able to queue for a lower level dungeon.

forty on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    tbh it should be pretty danged obvious that the new system is more likely to give you an upgrade; you get 3-4-5-whatever bites at the apple instead of just one

sometimes none of the loots are gonna be upgrades because that's how the game works

yeah this is kind of what i meant

it's always theoretically possible for any amount of choices to roll badly

this new system is not immune to chance.

but getting no upgrade from your box should be an outlier as long as you at least keep doing some M+ and your current raid difficulty each week, which is infinitely better than the single item roll from Legion and BfA in which getting no upgrade was the norm.

Dhalphir on
    one of our healers got three useless trinkets (out of five options) from his cache, which is about the worst result I've seen so far (and 2/5 pieces were still nominal upgrades)

I'm sure eventually somebody will have a vault that's all bracers though

NREqxl5.jpg
    My only gear woe is that I'm still using a 158 Blood-Spattered Scale because it is the tank trinket and I've run Mythic and some M+ De Other Side every week with no luck.

With the scaling tech it's frankly a little disappointing there doesn't seem to be a way for a solo player to be able to queue for a lower level dungeon.

Yea, would be cool if I could do that.

This discussion has been closed.