As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Just the tip this holiday

DrezDrez Registered User regular
I'm curious what you fine folks think about tipping building staff if you rent an apartment unit in a building with a huge staff, especially now during COVID. I klnow I've asked about this before, years ago, but I'm looking for a fresh perspective, particularly amid COVID.

It's been a weird year. I'm doing decently, financially, and I feel like the building has (more or less) done really well to keep things going smoothly.

In years past I've only tipped the 3-4 doormen that I really interacted with but what I'm thinking is the folling tip breakdown, since COVID has been a mess for everyone:
  • Daytime doorman that I know the best and who gets the brunt of incoming traffic and packages: $100
  • The evening, night, and weekend day front desk doormen: $50 each ($150)
  • Super: $50
  • Seven cleaning staffers: $25 each ($175)

Is it very risky to give one doorman a higher tip than the other three? Would it be gauche to mention to him that I'm doing that because I feel like he personally helped me out significantly more (he helped me with a couple of things I won't get into here, like when I got locked out and he got me back into my unit without me incurring the lockout fee, and a couple of other things) than anyone else in the building?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    That breakdown looks reasonable to me. I don't think I'd make too much a deal about the inflated tip to the one guy though. Just a quick, "You've been a real bruh, bruh" or similar to indicate your appreciation without making it weird should suffice. Even if you chat with him all the time, the power imbalance inherent in tips for performance is awkward to talk around, so keep it short and simple.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    That breakdown looks reasonable to me. I don't think I'd make too much a deal about the inflated tip to the one guy though. Just a quick, "You've been a real bruh, bruh" or similar to indicate your appreciation without making it weird should suffice. Even if you chat with him all the time, the power imbalance inherent in tips for performance is awkward to talk around, so keep it short and simple.

Thanks, I followed this advice exactly and it was well-received. Thank you, @Ringo!

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar