As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CF Secret Santa 2020: Twenty Twenty Edition!

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    I am pretty sure I have been gifted by my CF Secret Santa (as the tracking number I got from Proxy is still in transit, and I'm pretty sure that's the G&T/SE++ Secret Santa). Two packages were laid at my door when I headed out to check my mail.

First step, of course, break out the Christmas Tribble and the bomb detecting gecko to be sure both packages that arrived at my door are safe.
    Seeing as how neither exploded, I am assuming we are bomb free this year, yet again.
    5bnb7rywqlxy.jpg

Opening the first revealed eight and a half pounds of ham. Now thawing slowly in my fridge.
    uvumqpf2ht4h.jpg
    This wasn't from my Santa, but from my employer. In lieu of any kind of seasonal get together, they sent us ham.
    How much ham can a single person eat over the holidays? I'm about to find out.

The second box contained a set of Warlock Dungeon tiles.
    13ne04g1o6sf.jpg
    These look fun, and I look forward to the day when I'm able use them while rolling oddly shaped dice in person with my friends as opposed to rolling virtual oddly shaped dice with online friends.

No notes included, so my benefactor remains a mystery.
    A generous, kindly mystery.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Edit:this was the wrong thread.

UPDATE

Stand by Me chips taste like fish. Not good fish.

Fish puffs taste like cheddar corn puffs?

Pudding jellies taste delicious and have something creamy inside.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Oh, @see317 that's me! I had expected a proxied PM to reach you. Merry Christmas! The puzzle was also me. So a second package is incoming! For some reason neither site allowed me to include gift messages!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Oh, see317 that's me! I had expected a proxied PM to reach you. Merry Christmas! The puzzle was also me. So a second package is incoming! For some reason neither site allowed me to include gift messages!
    Awesome. Thank you Arc, I've been looking at these for a while, but haven't pulled the trigger
    The tracking number from the puzzle says it should be delivered Monday, so another update then.

I hope that it doesn't lead you to bankruptcy, picking up additional boxes of them. :D

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited December 2020
    I hope that it doesn't lead you to bankruptcy, picking up additional boxes of them. :D

I do have a weakness for collecting things.
    My 2 dozen + Lego TIE fighters attest to this.

Edit: So, are both of these packages from the CF Santa, or did you get my name in the G&T Secret Santa too?

see317 on
    see317 wrote: »

I do have a weakness for collecting things.
    My 2 dozen + Lego TIE fighters attest to this.

Edit: So, are both of these packages from the CF Santa, or did you get my name in the G&T Secret Santa too?

Just CF. I am not your G&T/SE Santa, but that would have been hilarious.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    Gifts are away! Amazon split the order into two packages, and the one arriving first may inadvertently spoil the second one. Oops.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My package keeps having the shipping date pushed back. Currently it's set for the 24th. I hope it arrives in time!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I just received a package from Amazon, which I'm going to assume is from one of you folks since I don't buy from them. Unfortunately I've just finished my lunch and I'm a good boy, so I shall not be opening it for another few hours.

I have also received a package from Amazon! My wife has told me it's contents, and I'm excited to get home and see it.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    So yeah, as mentioned previously ...

3TX0C9Q.gif

Things started off slow. Some of you might remember that we got a second cat last year just after Christmas. I'm happy to report that Lila is a far more "normal cat" than our first so I put the box on the floor and immediately garnered some interest.
    jd7bvd9g0han.jpg

And then something happened which I imagine to be similar to how a particular milkshake brings all the boys to the yard:
    zbbk15puatdv.jpg

Also pour one out for this poor box. Thankfully the contents are smaller than it and nothing was damaged, but it's certainly jarring to receive a box in such condition.
    sc9rsx19648t.jpg

"Yes, yes, that's all good and well, Arctic, but some of us care more about the box's contents than its structural integrity and the journey one can imply from its current state!" I hear some of you say. ... Someone DID say that, right? Or have I also been shipped some festive ghosts too?
    Fine, whatever, what's a little haunting. Let me grab a knife.
    y1fz57ddujr8.jpg
    It's the delightful family board game Pictures! This is indeed pleasant, as I've wanted Pictures for a while, but after waiting for the first edition to pass through stock (they made a second edition with more cards) I just ... kind of forgot about it. Also there was like all of COVID so what is buying board games?
    But I digress ...

Thank you so much, Santa! I really appreciate having games that will go over well with my family. How very festively-inclined of you. :)
    puts the knife behind his back
    Now who are you? ^_^

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Ahah, I am glad that it finally arrived at your door, @ArcticLancer (though only just, looking at the sorry condition of the box...)
    I figured a family board game might go over well this year, so hopefully you can get some use out of it! I was attempting to avoid ordering through Amazon but couldn't find a suitable alternative in time, unfortunately.

But regardless, I do hope you and your family have as merry a Christmas as possible!

9DxtKmH.gif

A package appeared! My wife opened it.
    Ad2MhYdl.jpg

Games!
    c25dlzUl.jpg

Machi Koro! It seems my CF Santa and G&T Santa were thinking the same thing this year! It is a fantastic game!
    PjcdFrZl.jpg

Villainous! Santa, are you a telepath? I actually just played this game for the first time with some friends of ours on Friday and enjoyed it!
    RBvOQKZl.jpg

And one box of villains isn't enough! Those dastardly good guys may gain the upper hand and we should get reinforcements!
    1XDAkp2l.jpg

And finally the collection! And you can see my children in the background like a pack of hyenas reading the back of the boxes.
    Ah0JDAtl.jpg

Nothing else was in the box, no messages or even packing list, so Santa you remain at large! But thank you!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Oh cool, everything did arrive in one package! Amazon was saying that the Villainous expansion would show up first. My wife and I got really into Villainous for a while, and I know from experience that bigger games (5+) get nuts. (BTW Facilier is completely OP; he can pull off a win on turn two if you don't stop him)

I saw the note on BGG about wanting the updated Machi Koro, I hope I got the right one?

edited December 2020
    Green wrote: »
    Oh cool, everything did arrive in one package! Amazon was saying that the Villainous expansion would show up first. My wife and I got really into Villainous for a while, and I know from experience that bigger games (5+) get nuts. (BTW Facilier is completely OP; he can pull off a win on turn two if you don't stop him)

I saw the note on BGG about wanting the updated Machi Koro, I hope I got the right one?

Well it will definitely be nuts because the kids are hoping to play tomorrow night, and there's 6 of us old enough to play. The youngest is usually on a "team" with my wife or I.

It is the correct updated Machi Koro! Pandasaurus Games took over production and so the expansion set I have has different sized cards. Unfortunately my G&T Santa read the same thing so now I've got two. :surprised:

Thank you so much! This will definitely make for some great game nights and variety over the next week while I'm off and able to be home with the kids!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    A wild box has appeared! But there was no note, no nothing with it... but based on the contents, I think it could be my CF Secret Santa gift!

If someone will confirm, I'll get it posted!

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    So my Santa has been in touch with me- the thing that showed up today wasn't part of this exchange! (Really, it's kind of a pain when people don't let you know for what exchange the gift is for- at least then you could post the stuff and wait for Santa to reveal themselves!)

But...

3TX0C9Q.gif

So the first part of this gift went ahead and landed today- it was mentioned via email that I ought to go and dig through my email- and thankfully, the hamsters running it apparently allowed the delivery of this one!

I'm now the proud owner of a copy of "Blades in the Dark", along with lots of other sourcebooks and settings for it!

I'm looking forward to getting a few hours and digging into these properly- it looks to be a pretty fun system!

I've also been informed that there's a second part of this gift- a package, coming this weekend! I can't wait!

Thanks, Santa @webguy20 !

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    Played 7 player Villainous tonight for my mom's birthday.
    Maleficent, Captain Hook, Prince John, Jafar, Yzma, Ratigan, and Scar.

Yzma ended up winning. Though she could have been fated if anyone had known she had what she needed. Others were a turn or few away so it's likely someone would have before long if she hadn't. Game gets long, but I think that's the learning curve still. If you know what you're doing and preplan your turn, you can be done in seconds and keep it moving quickly.

2AUBVall.jpg

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited December 2020
    Well it's officially 12:01 12:03AM here and we're going to bed. Merry Christmas (or your holiday of preference), everyone~

ArcticLancer on
    edited December 2020
    Well it's officially 12:01 12:03AM here and we're going to bed. Merry Christmas (or your holiday of preference), everyone~

Happy holidays to you too, Arctic.
    And, of course, the rest of the forum.

see317 on
    Just checked my package's shipping and it's changed to the 29th. This is getting very frustrating. Sorry it didn't arrive in time santee. :bigfrown:

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited December 2020
    Hey @Auralynx, my daughter and I caught the fox in our first game. Belle ain't getting past us sleuths!

My daughter picked up the rules quickly and was engaged the whole time. Looks like we'll have fun with this one for a while. Thanks again!

Edit: make that 2 wins. Gonna have to up the difficulty. And my daughter basically quarterbacked this entire second game. Makes me proud.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    A second package has arrived, this one matching the puzzled tracking number provided by @ArcSyn 's puzzle.

So, let's open these up and see how these tiles work.

The party of adventurers stand at the doors of a ruined temple. The speaker of the nearby town said they had a big problem with gelatinous cubes and other monsters in the area.
    0wdk8o5cjait.jpg

The party proceeds down the tunnel, the paladin busts a rotten door down, revealing the Amphisbaena lurking on the other side.
    1duje2uav0xx.jpg

The two headed monstrosity quickly put to rest, the party boldly throws open the double doors to the next chamber.
    1qc1p6abz359.jpg
    Ah, we may have misunderstood the Speaker. It seems they do not have a big problem with gelatinous cubes at the temple, but a problem with big gelatinous cubes... Curse that failed perception check.

Two of the party fall in the battle, leaving the cleric and paladin the last standing.
    While the cleric attends her duties getting the rest of the party on their feet, the paladin proceeds to the treasure room.
    44cjkuqanthh.jpg
    And uncovers a pin in the shape of a mimic acting a solstice gift. Surely this must be the treasure they were sent for!

Thanks ArcSyn, these tiles are a lot of fun to put together. A really tight fit, and they hold together well enough to be moved easily without falling apart.
    The plushie gelatinous cube is great too.

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    3TX0C9Q.gif

What's this?!
    0iqbz3del7pc.jpg

Mais d'où?! Le Canada, bien sûr! Maybe Santa is Canadian or maybe they ordered from there! Zut!
    b1d89mwpv4lq.jpg

What do we have here? It appears something is broke if what I found on the sellers website is accurate!
    q9c4p5fcq98z.jpg

Fixed!
    zydzux4ajbhf.jpg

Now let's see it in action! (I just set this up - it's not part of a game)
    o10v7fpa3xqd.jpg

Glad I came back for this year's secret Santa! Fantastic gift and exactly what I could use. I love these props for maps. Great end to a shitty 2020!

Nice job, Santa, but I don't know who you are. Show yourself!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      @see317 Yay! I'm glad it finally arrived! I hope it's very useful and you are able to gather the group together again soon. I appreciated the post about the gelatinous cube plush. I would not have thought of it normally and had been having a hard time deciding what to get.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
      Yeah, this is just the right size to sit on my desk at work and declare my geekiness to any coworkers who haven't realized that the guy with a half dozen bob-ombs, Halo statue and Metroid/Samus Amiibos around his cube is a bit of a nerd.

Just saw that ad for the plush pop up on Facebook and thought it was hilarious. Thanks again Arc.

edited December 2020
      TimFiji wrote: »
      3TX0C9Q.gif

What's this?!
      0iqbz3del7pc.jpg

Mais d'où?! Le Canada, bien sûr! Maybe Santa is Canadian or maybe they ordered from there! Zut!
      b1d89mwpv4lq.jpg

What do we have here? It appears something is broke if what I found on the sellers website is accurate!
      q9c4p5fcq98z.jpg

Fixed!
      zydzux4ajbhf.jpg

o10v7fpa3xqd.jpg

Glad I came back for this year's secret Santa! Fantastic gift and exactly what I could use. I love these props for maps. Great end to a shitty 2020!

Oh man, finally! I ordered those back in mid-November. Next time I won't order from a Canadian company. :biggrin:

Glad you like them. Honestly, I know very little about Battletech (outside of some of their mechs look like the Destroids in Macross/Robotech) so I had to outsource some help from the Steam chat. Thanks to everyone who helped me out there. I was unsure if buildings/terrain would be any fun compared to actual mechs. Or if these buildings were even to scale with your stuff. Looks like it all worked out.

Thankfully you got that radar dish got fixed. I'd hate to have had to raise some hell.

Anyways, happy holidays to you and yours @TimFiji!

Also, this is much funnier now. :biggrin:

MNC Dover on
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page
      MNC Dover wrote: »
      3TX0C9Q.gif

What's this?!
      0iqbz3del7pc.jpg

b1d89mwpv4lq.jpg

q9c4p5fcq98z.jpg

Fixed!
      zydzux4ajbhf.jpg

o10v7fpa3xqd.jpg

Oh man, finally! I ordered those back in mid-November. Next time I won't order from a Canadian company. :biggrin:

Glad you like them. Honestly, I know very little about Battletech (outside of some of their mechs look like the Destroids in Macross/Robotech) so I had to outsource some help from the Steam chat. Thanks to everyone who helped me out there. I was unsure if buildings/terrain would be any fun compared to actual mechs. Or if these buildings were even to scale with your stuff. Looks like it all worked out.

Thankfully you got that radar dish got fixed. I'd hate to have had to raise some hell.

(How long did it actually take to arrive once it shipped? I just suspect most mail issues to be 2020-problems rather than long term lessons about ordering cross-border)

(It's also 2021 here now. I'm not much for new years, but I'm here for anyone who uses it as a palate cleanser. Whatever is in store for us this year, I wish the best for everyone here and hope to see you all back here next holiday season.)
      With peace and kindest regards,
      Arctic/Nick

3TX0C9Q.gif

What's this?!
      0iqbz3del7pc.jpg

b1d89mwpv4lq.jpg

q9c4p5fcq98z.jpg

Fixed!
      zydzux4ajbhf.jpg

o10v7fpa3xqd.jpg

(How long did it actually take to arrive once it shipped? I just suspect most mail issues to be 2020-problems rather than long term lessons about ordering cross-border)

Mid-November ordered, delivered Dec 26th. It was probably in the states late November based off the wait times I've had for domestic deliveries.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
        The third (and as far as I'm aware final) gift from santa has arrived! Strictly speaking it arrived a few days ago, but we were deep in holiday forums back then.

mex432c24w95.jpg

Inside we find a selection of wargaming scenery, and some printed mats to put everything on and keep my dining room table looking more suitably like a fantastical battlefield!

hybt1vhrfg0i.jpg
        onsxd65v7j30.jpg

Once again I can't say thank you enough, Santa, you've gone above and beyond with this selection!

The third (and as far as I'm aware final) gift from santa has arrived! Strictly speaking it arrived a few days ago, but we were deep in holiday forums back then.

snip

Inside we find a selection of wargaming scenery, and some printed mats to put everything on and keep my dining room table looking more suitably like a fantastical battlefield!

snip

Once again I can't say thank you enough, Santa, you've gone above and beyond with this selection!

Yay glad you like everything. Your painting skills are out of this world so I hope it all is useful for you!

Very kind of you to say! I'm certainly looking forwards to putting these fancy brushes to good use, thank you again!

So, how are we doing on the gift chain? Everyone good?

Steam ID
          Twitch Page
        • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
          edited January 2021
          Followup GIFT GET post!

As previously noted, I wasn't able to get a picture of my presents from @MamaWolf until Xmas, at which point the forums were transported to a happier place full of fuzzy, heartwarming creatures who certainly wouldn't run you over with a lawnmower if given the opportunity.

Now that the Secret Santa thread is back, have some images!

UG6SCXL.jpg
          Cat image redux, because he is cute and you all deserve to see him.

o5HOoEU.jpg
          Math rocks! Lots of math rocks! My wife thanks you for completing her transformation into an official Dice Goblin, not that she needed much of a push in that direction.

fL0uZx2.jpg
          In addition to Aftermath and dice, Mamawolf sent an expansion for the Arkham Horror LCG, thus giving me an excuse to buy myself the core set. There's also something classy and scary to put the new additions in: a knit Beholder-shaped dice bag!

Thank you again!

Bursar on
          GNU Terry Pratchett
          PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
          Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
          egc6gp2emz1v.png
        • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
          So, how are we doing on the gift chain? Everyone good?

I don't believe mines shown up yet (That I can tell). Still got a few weeks yet though!

Steam ID: Webguy20
          Origin ID: Discgolfer27
          Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
        • MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
          Bursar wrote: »
          Followup GIFT GET post!

As previously noted, I wasn't able to get a picture of my presents from @MamaWolf until Xmas, at which point the forums were transported to a happier place full of fuzzy, heartwarming creatures who certainly wouldn't run you over with a lawnmower if given the opportunity.

Now that the Secret Santa thread is back, have some images!

UG6SCXL.jpg
          Cat image redux, because he is cute and you all deserve to see him.

o5HOoEU.jpg
          Math rocks! Lots of math rocks! My wife thanks you for completing her transformation into an official Dice Goblin, not that she needed much of a push in that direction.

fL0uZx2.jpg
          In addition to Aftermath and dice, Mamawolf sent an expansion for the Arkham Horror LCG, thus giving me an excuse to buy myself the core set. There's also something classy and scary to put the new additions in: a knit Beholder-shaped dice bag!

Thank you again!

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Always need dice goblins!!

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
          @Green
          Villainous has become almost a daily staple in our house.
          XPmKR2yl.jpg
          This was a 2.5hr slugfest between Hook, Scar, and Ursula. It was ugly and everyone was getting huge setbacks until Scar finally won.

PKWVKmhl.jpg
          This was a 6 player game over in 30 minutes with my wife winning with Prince John. It was crazy how fast it ended, but she had the cards she needed and the heroes weren't taking anything away.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
          Villainous is at peak fun when someone gains that undeniable edge and the rest of the table immediately comes to the unspoken agreement to just destroy them. :D I am so glad you all are enjoying it!