As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Anonymous, The rethread

JimmyJimmy __BANNED USERS regular
edited January 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_chanology

I see on the second page there was a thread which was looked and the poster was told to read the rules. After having read the rules I fail to see why it was locked. The above link is the wiki article with information relating to the "Anonymous vs Co$" war. After reading through the information on many different sources, I wonder how this will turn out. There are apparently some IRL protests planned in major cities spanning at least three different continents. Will anyone else be protesting? Do you think this will have any effect on the Co$? Did anonymous start the wrong way with the DDOS attacks? Is PA to corrupted by Co$ to allow any discussion? This is in the news a lot now, lets see what the consensus is.

Jimmy on

• Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think the thread might have been locked because we just had a Scientology thread?

Anyway, this looks pretty cool. I hope it elicits some response. Although the Scientologists I met when I went to one of their churches were perfectly pleasant people.

Qingu on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I finally read up about this, seems like it is an internet war against a real world organisation

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    10th of feb everything is *supposed* to go down, but I bet it will have lost most of its momentum by then.

L|ama on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't expect anything to come of this other than Scientology being able to play the martyr, but wouldn't it be hilarious if Scientology got shut down by the fucking 'chan?

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    L|ama wrote: »
    10th of feb everything is *supposed* to go down, but I bet it will have lost most of its momentum by then.

For those of us following and/or participating, I think we will know a lot more after this weekend. The planned protests in Orlando will be the first and there is already a lot of media coverage on the subject. I think we will be better able to judge the 10th depending on the success or failure of this weekend.

Jimmy on
  • Options
    ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I would imagine it was locked because it comes under the whole "attacking another website" thing. Especially as you seem to support it, which kind of hints as to why you have reposted an already locked topic.

Arasaki on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well, considering this is Anonymous, it is just the matter of time before they get distracted by something shiny, and abandon the cause. And their real life flash mobs were never a strong suit, so Feb. 10th might be what breaks their backs and credibility.
    But at the moment they seem to be picking up steam, get more and more mainstream media attention, and for once, they seem to attract regular internet folk for their cause. It might be mainly because one of the main current objectives is to disseminate information about Scientology, which sits well with a lot of people, as opposed to other nefarious activities they seem to indulge in.
    As for the DoS attacks, I feel they were there to provoke a response from the church, in order to gain more creadibility in the eyes of public. so far that didnt work.
    Either way, I think that this is a pretty interesting event, no matter how you look at it.

muninn on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Apparently someone crank called Tom Cruise and John Travolta pretending to be Heath Ledger's father and got Cruise to console him and almost got Travolta to buy him a plane ticket for the funeral.

I gotta wonder if it was a chantard or not.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Arasaki wrote: »
    I would imagine it was locked because it comes under the whole "attacking another website" thing. Especially as you seem to support it, which kind of hints as to why you have reposted an already locked topic.

Simply because I support the idea, doesnt mean I am condoning or talking of the website attacks. That portion came and went and was what it was (Including illegal).

What we have now is something different. Its grown beyond its inception as a "chan" thing, and is now getting real. This could very well die off a quick death, yet it could be history in the making.

Jimmy on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    No Raiding.
    This includes other subforums here, forums elsewhere, livejournals, blogs, vent/skype channels and similar personal spaces. You will not use this space as a base from which to harass people, even if you think they really really deserve it (no, seriously, shut up).

The live protests could be considered harassment of what is a "non-profit charitable organisation" within the US.

Regardless, the mods chose to lock it and to start a new post about the same topic just seems stupid to me.

Arasaki on
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    What a gigantic waste of precious time. There are so many other more important things for people to do. This isn't much better than obsessing over Brittany's latest escapades. Shame on these retards. Assuming they're mostly college kids like me with too much time to waste on their hands, they should channel their energies to studying, or doing something actually useful.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Anonymous harrassment.

You brave, brave boys.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Arasaki wrote: »
    No Raiding.
    This includes other subforums here, forums elsewhere, livejournals, blogs, vent/skype channels and similar personal spaces. You will not use this space as a base from which to harass people, even if you think they really really deserve it (no, seriously, shut up).

The live protests could be considered harassment of what is a "non-profit charitable organisation" within the US.

Regardless, the mods chose to lock it and to start a new post about the same topic just seems stupid to me.

Well, I guess since its stupid Im sure you will gladly step out of this thread. The first locked thread had no disussion at all anyway. And no, a protest is NOT harassment of a "non-profit charitable organisation"

Jimmy on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Shinto wrote: »
    Anonymous harrassment.

You brave, brave boys.

Well, they ARE scum of the internet. But that doesnt mean it wont capture peoples attention.

muninn on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    A protest is probably not agaisnt the rules here. Using this forum as a base for illegal DoS attacks certainty is. you should consider this especially when dealing with a organization as legally aggressive as the CoS

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Well, that's why I used the word "could". It doesn't really matter what we think consitutes harassment anyway at the end of the day. It's down to the perception of the mod.

nexus raises a good point though - affiliation or even suggested affiliation with Anonymous is something the PA forums would probably try to avoid.

Arasaki on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    This is a reason I support this movement.

If an organization, especially a relgious one, can install this type of fear of prosecution for exercising one of our most basic rights as americans, something is wrong.

Also, this discussion is in no way being used as a base for or talking of, any illegal attacks via computers, the internet, or any other means.

Jimmy on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Anonymous harrassment.

You brave, brave boys.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Anonymous harrassment.

You brave, brave boys.

Considering the Xenu cult's tactics against detractors I would think anonymity is smart.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Kagera wrote: »
    Anonymous harrassment.

You brave, brave boys.

Considering the Xenu cult's tactics against detractors I would think anonymity is smart.

Yeah, because that is the reason a bunch of cowards crouched behind monitors aren't more public.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Anonymous harrassment.

You brave, brave boys.

Yeah, because that is the reason a bunch of cowards crouched behind monitors aren't more public.

Well some went outside for the Orlando thing.

Unintended benefit though, yeah.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Anonymous harrassment.

You brave, brave boys.

Well, over the next two weekends it moves from "cowards" behind computer screens to real time, real world protesting. I guess thats one less slur you will be able to use.

Jimmy on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Jimmy wrote: »
    Anonymous harrassment.

You brave, brave boys.

Well, over the next two weekends it moves from "cowards" behind computer screens to real time, real world protesting. I guess thats one less slur you will be able to use.

Yeah, we'll see how many of your crawl out of your rooms.

Shinto on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    It was locked because lawl-link-plus-one-line-context-free-comment doesn't make for a good thread.

Also, elitelamer is really dumb.

This is getting locked because nothing's going to happen in here besides us all confirming our impression of 4chan as a haven of idiots and circlejerking over that. Entertaining idiots, to be sure, but still.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.