As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Better get a babysitter cause we've got two tickets to the [GUN] show...

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I’m glad they are working for you!

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    kxodkuIh.jpg

So that's build complete on this pile of parts from last page. We've got a Palmetto State PS-AK GF3 with the following:

- Magpul stock, grip, handguard, forward grip, and cheek riser
    - Midwest Industries Gen 2 Combloc side rail platform
    - Primary Arms SLX 1-6 with PA low-height rings
    - Strike Industries J-Comp Gen 2

Fitting the handguard back on after I took it off was a trip - there's a steel heat shield press-fit into it, so I warped it a bit trying to lever it out. Nothing a rubber mallet couldn't fix once I had it back in and the handguard in place ready to be locked down (the lever wouldn't catch). Authentic Soviet experience.

I love the brake on it. Something like $35 and the reviews I've seen (www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ar-15-muzzle-brake-shootout-2/) show it as being especially great for the price. I have the little slant brake in my pile-of-widgets now.

Things that I thought would be harder:

Installing the brake. There's a little sprinf loaded retaining pin you depress with your finger, old brake threads off with just your bare hands, new brake threads on and indexes properly once the pin pops back into a channel cut into it. Perfect. I've heard nightmares of torqueing an AR barrel out of spec trying to attach an AR brake.

Things I thought would be easier:

That handguard

Things I still haven't figured out:

How to secure my scope without a vise so I don't cant it just a squidgen as I'm tightening down the rings.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Sexy looking AK amigo. Nicely done.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/kxodkuIh.jpg] So that's build complete on this pile of parts from last page. We've got a Palmetto State PS-AK GF3 with the following: - Magpul stock, grip, handguard, forward grip, and cheek riser - Midwest Industries Gen 2 Combloc side rail platform - Primary Arms SLX 1-6 with PA low-height rings - Strike Industries J-Comp Gen 2 Fitting the handguard back on after I took it off was a trip - there's a steel heat shield press-fit into it, so I warped it a bit trying to lever it out. Nothing a rubber mallet couldn't fix once I had it back in and the handguard in place ready to be locked down (the lever wouldn't catch). Authentic Soviet experience. I love the brake on it. Something like $35 and the reviews I've seen (www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ar-15-muzzle-brake-shootout-2/) show it as being especially great for the price. I have the little slant brake in my pile-of-widgets now.[/img]Things that I thought would be harder:

Installing the brake. There's a little sprinf loaded retaining pin you depress with your finger, old brake threads off with just your bare hands, new brake threads on and indexes properly once the pin pops back into a channel cut into it. Perfect. I've heard nightmares of torqueing an AR barrel out of spec trying to attach an AR brake.

Things I thought would be easier:

That handguard

Things I still haven't figured out:

How to secure my scope without a vise so I don't cant it just a squidgen as I'm tightening down the rings.

Soft jaw clamps and a sturdy enough surface that you don’t mind the rail scuffing. Some hardback books?

That should be able to get you to tighten the rings on the scope appropriately

• DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It just now struck me that my strategy of "just do the best you can and deal with the tiny cant" might not be the best one

Sure seems to work for the most part though

If you’re not shooting 500+ meters I would say it probably doesn’t matter.

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    If you’re not shooting 500+ meters I would say it probably doesn’t matter.

It probably doesn't considering how you do (or don't, rather) shoot with x39 but I just want it done right

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
    I understand completely, that’s why I’d try rigging a vise out of soft clamps and something firm to attach the rail to. Should be pretty easy to torque screws to spec from there

I understand completely, that’s why I’d try rigging a vise out of soft clamps and something firm to attach the rail to. Should be pretty easy to torque screws to spec from there

I'm trying to picture in my head

If I rig up a clamp for the rail platform, I'd still need to brace the scope itself somehow, right?

It's when I'm torqueing the screws that it cants. I was even doing them in half-turn increments in a figure-8 pattern but it still crept on me.

I'm trying to picture in my head

If I rig up a clamp for the rail platform, I'd still need to brace the scope itself somehow, right?

It's when I'm torqueing the screws that it cants. I was even doing them in half-turn increments in a figure-8 pattern but it still crept on me.

With the rail clamped, hell even if it’s on the rifle and you have it clamped, you can keep one hand on the scope, and torque it down.

Get the screws tight enough where you don’t have to use both hands to start them, throw a small bubble level on the top turret, keep one hand on the scope to keep it from turning as you tighten the ring.

You either need 4 hands or a vise/clamp.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Nobody wants to go shooting with me because ammo is too expensive. I get it, I've got 1,500 rounds of 5.56 and the way things are going they're gonna have to last me well into 2022, but come on, you can give up a few mags worth of bullets for a fun afternoon out.

I don't want to go alone because it's less fun that way. I guess I could go to an indoor range, but ugh.

Nobody wants to go shooting with me because ammo is too expensive. I get it, I've got 1,500 rounds of 5.56 and the way things are going they're gonna have to last me well into 2022, but come on, you can give up a few mags worth of bullets for a fun afternoon out.

I don't want to go alone because it's less fun that way. I guess I could go to an indoor range, but ugh.

I've got a ton of handgun ammo, I need to go

Funny, I've always kind of turned my nose up at CZ's because the thin slides drive me crazy, but after checking one out I want to pick up a P-10C now.

I regret not getting that ZPAP from a couple of pages ago and I'm on the hunt.

edited January 2021
    Doc wrote: »

@Doc https://ammoandarmsstore.com/zp92762m/

Edit: Ahh, you probably wanted the rifle. This is the pistol, no brace.

SummaryJudgment on

@Doc https://ammoandarmsstore.com/zp92762m/

Edit: Ahh, you probably wanted the rifle. This is the pistol, no brace.

Yep, hunting for the M70.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Okay, so it is in my budget to get 1-2 lever action rifles in the near future. I've previously owned a pre-safety Marlin in .35 remington and a 357/38 henry big boy (pre loading gate)

Whatever I get I want to be pre safety, so either the older JM stamped Marlins or a pre-64 winchester or (ugh) one of the expensive Cimmaron/Pietta replicas, which I don't want to pay for, or a Henry.

If I can only get 1 rifle I'm torn between 30-30 and 45-70. I don't see a reason in TN I'll ever need past a 30-30 but the idea of having the 45-70 is just nice cause then it doesn't matter if I'm going after deer or elk, I've got the rifle for it.

If I can get 2, I want one of them to be a side gate 30-30 or 45-70, and the other to preferably be an OG Henry in 45 colt, or some other 45 colt to match my replica 1858 remington with the conversion cylinder.

HALP GUN FRIENDS! (I have a 1 in 1 out (mostly) policy with the wife on guns so I'll be giving up a Sub2K most likely and a shotgun)

are YOU on the beer list?
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    edit: Also I reload so strange calibers don't bother me. I also thought about .444 marlin now that they're back and affordable.

And these are purely for defense/hunting, so I don't do like Cowboy Action Shooting or anything where it's caliber specific.

amateurhour on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I've thought about going back out west to shoot some .308 but it's outdoors in the woods and it's been raining for like three months straight.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I've heard a .30-30 is an 7.62x39 round with the recoil of a .308....

So, if were going impractical and cool for the fun of it, why not go all in with a .45-70?

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    A 45-70 is a cheap gun to own, because you'll never want to fire more than a few rounds through it due to recoil.

nibXTE7.png
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I've been waiting on an Illinois FOID card since like June and I honestly can't tell how much of being so far past the 30 days with no decision is entirely COVID related and how much is being so constantly inflammatory toward our wanabe Pinochet president.

probably just the former i know... but you know, who can say these days

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    I finally managed to get to the range and try out some loads and I am a happy cow. I had a box of 50 .308 rounds at different powder charges and 50 .223 rounds to clean out some old powder I had lying around I finally got to dial in the loads that seem to do well. Surprisingly, the hottest .308 load turned out to be the most accurate in my Sig 716, while the middle charge .223 load appeared to do the best instead. Powders be weird yo.

edited January 2021
    Apropos of nothing

turns out the weight of a loaded polymer Magpul AK mag is 1.5 pounds almost on the money

I have a couple new manufacture Bulgarian steel ones that are a little heavier at 1.9, and they don't like to feed soft points, oddly enough

SummaryJudgment on

Thanks! Still holding out for the wood versions. Worst case I end up picking up one of the newest gen PSA rifles, with the FN chrome barrel.

Hey now that Henry just does side loading gate rifles now and has discontinued their former models if anyone sees them on clearance anywhere please let me know.

I just talked myself out of the AK, because I already have an M1A that I almost never get to shoot.

That is to say, "we're not stopping here, we have guns at home!"

I just talked myself out of the AK, because I already have an M1A that I almost never get to shoot.

That is to say, "we're not stopping here, we have guns at home!"

I havent shot half my guns.

Mostly due to Covid....

Oh don't worry I'll talk myself back into it as soon as it's in stock

edited January 2021
    Went indoors with an old work buddy this morning:

[img][/img]oyNLCP5l.jpg

Untimed 11 rounds at 7 yards, which is what my state has us qualify at for your CPL. The rental Glock 19 Gen5 agrees with me.

Hammered pairs and a couple mag dumps don't look as impressive on paper but I can keep them all within the 7 ring. I had a good exercise just taking individual shots from a low ready, too - low ready, present, shoot; repeat.

SummaryJudgment on
    The new PSA GF5 popped up as available, so I snagged one. Got tired of waiting for a ZPAP and I don't really care about import vs domestic.

I think I got just about the last one in stock.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Doing some target practice with a buddy and man what I wouldn't give for a 150rnd box of 223 or 556.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Doing some target practice with a buddy and man what I wouldn't give for a 150rnd box of 223 or 556.

Every time I want to go to the range, I talk myself out of it due to the availability of ammo :(

Even though I am sitting on several thousands of rounds.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      TimFiji wrote: »
      webguy20 wrote: »

Every time I want to go to the range, I talk myself out of it due to the availability of ammo :(

Even though I am sitting on several thousands of rounds.

I'm right there with you. .22LR accounts for ~75% of the ammo I've shot since April. Fortunately I had a nice little pile of that.

It's grim, but I kind of want to start checking out estate sales. I suspect that most estate sale companies don't sell ammo to the general public, though. Especially in my overwhelmingly blue area.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
      edited January 2021
      Kel-tec is releasing a 5.7x28 pistol that takes 50 round P90 mags. Like, actually releasing it, this year, soon.

Pm8n38S.jpg?1

https://www.keltecweapons.com/firearms/pistols/p50/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp9zEz4UnrQ

:edit: Also it has a 9.6 inch barrel, putting it just slightly under the original P90's 10.4 inch barrel. So you'd be getting almost the full originally designed velocity out of the 5.7 round, from a pistol, without needing to SBR.

matt has a problem on
      nibXTE7.png
    • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
      edited January 2021
      It's dumb as hell but I really want one. I think I'd want a vertical front foregrip on it.

webguy20 on
      How is everything Kel-Tec makes stupid and awesome at the same time?

How is everything Kel-Tec makes stupid and awesome at the same time?

Right? I'd love their KS7 single barrel bullpup shotgun too.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
      edited January 2021
      That is not the most ridiculous gun I've ever seen but it's definitely close.

Like, am I wrong or does that thing load from the front.

Phoenix-D on
      I've never shot 5.7. I wonder how the pistol handles.