As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Enrichment] Set Your Resolution.

IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
Set Your Resolution.
>>Enrichment Directory<<
bmdhsv63o61g.jpg

This Monthly Enrichment is super simple. Get in here and talk about your goals.

Look, I know it sucks. Sitting down and asking yourself where you want to be next year can feel like you are setting yourself up for failure, but listen, I'm going to try and help you out. I have some talking points for you,

1. Reflect on your growth so far

If you tend to be down on yourself, practice cutting yourself some slack. Look at your work with a critical eye, but also try and carve out the positives, where did you improve this year? Try to take a step back from the emotional investments you had in the moment, and look at everything you did with fresh eyes.

2. State some new influences

You've had a whole new year of lookin' at shit. So, what new things did you see? What new artist have you developed a crush on? If you haven't got something for this, its probably a good time to tell yourself to look at more art, and try to retain more information about things you see.

3. Choose a technical thing to work on

Instead of saying "IM GOING TO DRAW EVERYDAY" or "I WANT TO IMPROVE ALL OF MY THINGS", pick something you know you are weak at and decide to focus on it. Perspective, Light, Form, all of the basic building blocks are intertwined, but sometimes choosing one thing can make it seem less daunting. Focus in on one thing for a few weeks, and then let time do the natural thing of guiding you to the next task.

4. What is something you'd like to experiment in, you know, for fun?

Remember when art was super fun? Art is super fun. Think about some bullshit that you are going to do that is totally unrelated to your career goals and whatever else you do. Trying to become a concept artist? Well, maybe you think it would be cute to knit a beer cozi for a week. Glue some macaroni to some construction paper like a 5 year old. Give your self a few minutes to not care.

5. Make a long term goal

That standard looming resolution. We are all going to make them. Remember that you can plan a trip but you cant predict the weather. Set your sights, work as hard as you can towards them, and do everything in your power to not make yourself miserable in trying to achieve that goal.

That's it!

If you don't want to use this helpful format, that's fine! If you want to do one of those weird deviant art improvement memes you can do that shit too.

Iruka on

• Options
    edited June 2014
    About Monthly Enrichment:
    Enrichment activities aim to encourage you to tackle a small but useful assignment every month. They are either multifaceted, or loosely defined, giving you the option to mold it to help you reach previously held aspirations. They will mostly be assignments that you can fulfill in whatever media, and commit whatever time you feel benefits you.

What Do I Gain From Participating?
    If I'm at all qualified, I will try to provide crits and support to the people who participate. I hope that people in the thread also engage in a little more cross talk when they are working on the same assignment. I will do my best to not let anyone's work go un-commented upon. I will also try and load the OP with resources for everyone to draw from on the topic at hand.

May I post an old work if it fits into the topic?
    You may post work that you are currently working on, or plan to revisit during the month. Don't post old work if you have no intention of touching it. If I spend time commenting on year old work and then you never do anything to it within the activity, I will shun you.

May I post inspiration and links even if I'm not going to really participate?
    So long as this aspect doesn't get in the way of people posting work for actual crits, this is a great place to just throw up some art that is related to the topic and you think its helpful. Link the source, and spoiler images so they don't detract from people working on assignments.

May I suggest a topic?
    Sure! If a bunch of people have something they want to work on, I'm happy to make that the next assignment. Just try and keep it something that all artists can do (like color studies) and not something that requires materials that are inaccessible to a large percentage of members (like ceramics, or metalwork) If there is something that members would like to do and it has a fairly low material buy in, like sculpey maquettes, I'm cool with that too.

Deadlines
    I will pretty much rotate these out monthly without exception. Perhaps if there is a popular one I will let it run for two months.

Previous Threads:

JAN-BrandYourself
    FEB-Simple Shapes
    MAR-Show Your Work
    APR-Color Studies
    May-Hands and Feet
    JUN-Still Life
    JUL-Character Construction
    AUG- (off month)
    SEP- Perspective and Environments
    OCT- Thumbnails and Silhouettes
    NOV - NatCoWriMo
    DEC - Secret Santa.

JAN- Resolution
    FEB/MAR- Anatomy
    APR-Color Theory
    MAY- ??????
    Jun- Finding Inspiration

Iruka on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    short-term goals:
    - work on facial expressions
    - work on cleaner, more emphatic light and shade, to improve solidity

long term, I've had this graphic novel idea booting around for like a year and a half now and I would love to actually start it properly (I did, like, a page).

oh, another short-term goal: fix whatever the hell bug manga studio popped up with which means I can't export any images.

• Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    I definitely improved, but not as much as I would have liked. My line work and sense of color probably changed the most.

Maris Wicks! Wilfredo Torres! Stephanie Buscema!

Form -- I want to work on my lighting, and as usual, the human form. I struggle a lot with shoulders and torsos.

I want to do more exploring with hands-on crafts, like sculpting and paper art.

5. Make a long term goal

Finish a goddurn freakin' comic. I did one serious 8-page comic in 2013. That is not enough. I want to start tabling at conventions. I also want to follow through with my plans to get my 2+ year comic idea started. Overall, my resolution is to just commit more of myself to producing more than just signs for work and sketches.

• Options
    skyturtleskyturtle Registered User regular
    Choose a technical thing to work on

Backgrounds/Perspective. I tend to draw a lone figure or bust floating on a colored gradient. I want my figures to have somewhere to stand.

What is something you'd like to experiment in, you know, for fun?

Water colors or even just pen on paper. I don't do anything non-digital right now.

Make a long term goal
    Go through all the Noah's Art Camp assignments. I usually cop out on the still life/plein air parts, and I find the imaginative drawings to be very discouraging. (Maybe also less fan art more original stuff? Might be too soon for that though.)

• Options
    I spent 80% of the last two years trying to get things around me to feel more stable. That is sort of reflected in the work I did, lots of material studies and concepts that were meant to round out my portfolio. I feel like I tightened some of my rendering skills, but I'm excited to keep pushing forward in that area.

I read all of riceboy this year and I was super inspired to get into comic making.

Form. I need to try and break that 2D feel that my work has. I'd also like to work on composition, and get back into making narrative illustration.

I think I am going to give sculpey another shot. I have no talent for it, but I like the idea of it.

5. Make a long term goal
    Finish my NatCoWriMo comic before the next NatCoWriMo.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular

I definitely leveled up this year, thanks to the camp threads and enrichment posts. I'm really lousy about actually posting things looking for advice and suggestions, but i'm finally starting to get my confidence back, and I think that's pretty huge. I'm almost to the point where I think I want to resume my sculpture portfolio, and that's also huge. I'm hoping 2014 can be a lot more of the same and then some.

Leyendecker and a bunch of the other master studies have been teaching me whole hella new things. I've been browsing art and illustration on Tumblr and have found a lot of ideas and inspiration there. I am also infatuated with the dreamy sketchy qualities of Lois van Baarle.

I would like to improve on my working anatomy understandings and work at being better able to work from imagination and reference (drawing what I *think* I see is a big handicap.) I should also work on lighting study; I feel like that would go hand in hand with some of the sculpture work I'd like to do this year as well. Honestly, the thing I want most in terms of technical is being better able to sculpt faster. Right now I'm feeling creatively blocked enough that I have a frustrating tendency to fret and pick at something for weeks or months instead of hours or days. I think "being able to move onto new projects" probably qualifies as a technical thing.

I have a pile of half-finished custom action figure mods that really need to be finished. Or um, in at least one case, started. I also have this idea where I would like to do more art related to my writing; illustrations and so on. Not quite on the level of doing a comic again, but definitely, say, spot illustrations...

5. Make a long term goal

hm, I don't know that I necessarily want anything more than "be more betterer." Like, sure, I have lots of small art goals, but I feel like, for the most part, my interests are still too disparate to really be specific beyond not giving up or being frustrated. I think I tend to be too down on myself for no reason and that's something I ought to be more assertive about changing.

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    I've become better with colours and a bunch of comics stuff. More efficient at writing longer scripts

Alexandre Diboine, Lilli Carré, Joe Dunthorne, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and Noah Baumbach.

Constructing characters. I skip this shit too much and just eyeball it and that's how I got ants...

I want to make some more masks, they're fun to do and actually look pretty professional when I'm done so that's cool.

5. Make a long term goal
    Alright, fuck it, let's do this shit. I hereby promise myself to churn out 1 short story, prose or comic or film or anything, each weekend, shouldn't be that hard? Think again m3nace you stoopid fuck, I want these to be quality short stories. Bitch, they better have meaning. Shit prose can be excused, as long as you edit it at the end of the month. AND post at least one of them in the WB each month, mkay? You know your prose is embarrassing, but you need more than just your ugly ass eyes to evaluate those words.

• Options
    SpaceMooseSpaceMoose Registered User regular

I improved a ton this year. I spent most of the year drawing through Fun With a Pencil and I'm just about finished with it. I think my drawing of faces has greatly improved. Feedback from this community has helped immensely even if it came from another thread, and by keeping my thread up to date and participating a bit in other threads I've stuck with drawing longer than I ever have before.

I've been following Jake Parker and Scott Robertson a fair bit this year. I admire the work that they do and the styles that they use. I'm always a fan of posts from @McJohnstable, I'm just in awe of his style. I've recently discovered that I'm quite fond of the works of Alphonse Mucha and Monet.

I spent most of my drawing time this year working on cartoony faces in Fun With a Pencil. I'd like to continue that work into more realistic faces and spend more time on the human body as a whole. I'd also like to take the time to do some still lives (lifes?). While doing those two things I'd like to do some work on value as I've been mostly just doing line work.

A couple years back I spent a bunch of time writing and almost finished writing a book. I stopped in frustration after not getting any bites on short stories I was submitting to publishers. I'd like to dig up my writing and take it up again, finish the book, and see if I can blend both art and writing in some type of sequential art by the end of the year. Maybe I owe myself a visit to the Writers Block.

5. Make a long term goal

Just to keep drawing and keep having fun, and not let myself get frustrated and quit because I can't draw as good on paper or digitally as I see things in my head.

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »

I posted in the art section of PA. I am seeking help on reaching my goal, I guess my big improvement, is I decided I wanted to work on this, not just say, someday. As I haven't been drawing, I can't say anything on that. But I did pick up a pencil and start some forms tonight. And boxes.
    David Willis (dumbing of age) & Tim Buckley (Ctrl+Alt+del)
    I want to do cartoons, and I have been reading them. Besides great stories, I like there style. Not sure what you call it, but I like it.
    Forms. As I stated I wanted to cartoon, I was pointed to look at that. Hence, me picking up a pencil and drawing. I'm lucky in having a whole art box from HS. I have hard to soft pencils. Color pencil. I have paints both water and oil. So, I should have lots of stuff to work with, and not spend money.

I want to do a cartoon on the computer animation style, but if I should learn forms on an old piece of paper, who am I to say, hey I'm smarter than all those people who have done this for years.
    Illustrator? I like doing vector art. But as said above, am willing to sit down with pen and paper to learn my forms. Seems as good as spot as any to start.
    5. Make a long term goal
    Get a theme for my cartoon. A few characters. Get my first one done. Find something to draw in Photoshop and Illustrator. I don't know what is good pen device, but figure something is better than a mouse. Sure people here know too.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    mageormikemageormike Registered User regular

I made a thread finally, after a year or more of dreading it. I feel this year that I've finally been able to make some serious progress, thanks large in part to reading posts from folks on the forum and taking part in Noah's Art Camp.
    Overall I think my work has improved in a lot of areas, though just enough to get an understanding of what I still need to improve on.

Pretty famous and perhaps over-used, but through the course of the art camp I've found that Thomas Moran/Frederich Church for color, Mead Schaeffer/NC Wyeth for composition, and John Singer Sargent for people are all amazing. I have a few more recent influences but I probably need to branch out a bit more to keep my art from looking a little samey.

My edge work and rendering are probably the weakest at the moment. I'll be focusing on that, plus actually finishing a piece for once.

I'd love to learn how to properly make referential maquettes like those that James Gurney uses for his paintings. It costs a lot of money though, perhaps I should try learning Zbrush instead?

5. Make a long term goal

Continue to create frequently, to not let work or life get in the way of my art and getting me off track. Also I'd like to create a concept project along the lines of "The Skillful Huntsmen" book.

• Options
    Devilboy999Devilboy999 Stockton, CaliforniaRegistered User regular

I've only been back at this for a week, but I feel that my most significant amount of growth would be that amount of confidence that I feel when I get ready to draw, and afterwards, when I've completed a piece, my ability to feel content, if not with the quality of the piece, then at least that I performed to the best of my abilities (at the present) and that I feel that I can improve.

Brandon Graham, and Jim Mahfood. I've really fallen in love with the heavily stylized pieces they create.

Figure drawing, with a special emphasis on proportions, and positioning, (Not to mention consistency as well).

I'd really like to create some short films and experiment with various aspects of cinema production.

5. Make a long term goal

By the end of the year I would like to begin illustrating my first draft of my project (KA) as a graphic novel.

• Options
    no_toastno_toast Registered User regular
    Past year I focused mainly on doing life drawing regularly and now I'm seeing the results as more confidence and speed doing any kind of drawing.

Recently I've been influenced more and more by graffiti and street art culture.

I'll continue on working on improving with the life drawing but this year I'll try to get back to improving my rendering with acrylics and oils.

I'd like to pick up some 3D modeling software and design some characters.

5. Make a long term goal
    Produce a coherent set of paintings for an art show of my own.

• Options
    DversedDversed Registered User regular
    Doing anatomy studies for most of the last year showed when I focus on something it could actually look semi professional.
    Also changing the rules of how I study and not being so rigid makes for better results.

I have a new respect for George Brigman after studying anatomy. I feel like i can understand his books better and his drawings are really powerful.

I've decided to finally learn 3d animation right by applying to Animschool's 3d animation program. So this year I want to learn as much of Maya as I can. Specifically Animation and modeling.

Figure drawing for sure. I still want to study anatomy but I want to learn how to make my drawings have as much energy as a Brigman drawing. I want to have dynamic silhouettes for animation.

5. Make a long term goal
    2014 will be the year of serious study.
    I want 2015 to be the year of employment.

• Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I'll do this too.

At the beginning of 2013 I had basic understanding of some fundamentals. Perspective, form and light were all ideas I thought I had a grasp on, but turned out I didn't. With lots of work I made a few drawings that I'm pretty proud of and still show to people. I had a pretty crushing defeat over the summer, overworking and setting my expectations too high, so the last few days of drawing have been growth as well coming back to what I love, overcoming those negative emotions.
    I really fell for Marc Taro Holmes' watercolor, both in environments and figure painting. He portrays light and shadow in very interesting ways. Also Ryan Woodward's animations and conte figure genstures are works of art.
    also ramon pintor This guy does some cool stuff with collage and oils. i don't quite understand what he's doing, but I want to figure it out.
    Work on light, shadow, and form.
    Color and working from imagination. I'm terrible at both of those things.
    5. Make a long term goal
    Don't quit drawing stuff anymore.

ninjai on
  • Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular

In 2013, I did 275 drawing sessions, ranging from "let's draw freehand circles for 5 pages" to formal studies, and a holy metric ton of doodles in class. I started 2013 thinking that I needed a bit of a refresher and maybe a month of fundamentals so that I could launch into an online web comic. A year later, my art still looks like crap and the thought of drawing fills me with dread. Somehow, in that year of study, all the fun and dreams involved in art leeched away in the face of inability to construct basic human forms.

Disney has been putting out fabulous work lately. I was incredibly impressed with the behind the scenes concept art for the characters of Frozen. Very evocative.

At the same time, I continue to grow more distant from the anime that consumed my teenage years. Studying anatomy only drives home every time a girl has a longcat torso or eyes so far apart they're about to roll from her head. It increasingly bothers me that the current crop of anime faces seem incapable of nuance in expression, too preoccupied with maintaining a perfect moe appearance and regurgitating cliche.

Faces. Faces. Faces. The human face is like a curse. Just when I get the brow right, the nose juts off like the character just took a hit from a hockey player. When the nose is straight, the lips look like a racial caricature.

Ponies. They're about the only thing I can draw right now without the familiar artist spiral of dread, on account of their literally plastic anatomy and forgiving poses. Plus, you know, I like the show.

5. Make a long term goal

A year of daily drawing did not give me at all the result I desired. I really don't know how to follow up on that. Long term goal: Keep drawing, somehow.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    JolliJolli Registered User regular
    I feel like I have grown a bit this past year, but I've really been slacking in the drawing and trying to better myself, a bit due to lack of ambition or just no motivation. I'm gonna be trying to fix that this year and just force myself to draw something everyday and buy more art supplies, so far the only thing I have is a pencil and some paper.

Havent honestly been checking out any artists, atleast not learning their names. I usually just come here for inspiration. Maybe Tam...

Fabric, and how to put clothes and shoes on a form without it looking like part of the figures skin og soaking wet.
    Female Anatomy.
    And Hands, Oh man are hands the bane of my existence.

I've always loved the look of water coloring, something about it speaks to me and I've been itching to do it anyways so thats first on my list.
    After that maybe something with coal, I'm not sure.

5. Make a long term goal
    I want to pump out something that looks professional and finshed, not just a sketch.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited January 2014

I laughed when I read the "if you tend to be down on yourself..." ...you caught me! :P

I started an art-blog for studies. Though I didn't keep up with posting regularly as I would have liked, I still did more art for myself than I have in a very long time...and I managed to finish them! I also started going to figure-drawing classes with my coworkers...and it's very early on, but making the commitment to go to as many sessions as I can has been a decision I was happy to make. I feel like I got a teeeeeny bit better at understanding how to do architectural concepts, which was cool.

Theo Prins
    Eytan Zana
    Jiao Jie Feng
    Edgar Payne
    Thom Tenery
    ...and more!

I became aware recently that my figure drawing knowledge was a bit...dated? I realized I hadn't drawn many figures in awhile, and I hadn't done any figure studies...and that the way I was drawing certain things, like hands, was the same formulaic method I've been using for years, and I know I can do better than that. SO. I'm planning on doing a lot more drawings/studies in figures/anatomy, as well as going back to dabble in architecture now and then, as I still feel that's probably my weakest area.

Uhhh.....can...can I skip this? I don't understand this whole "unrelated to career goals" and "art is super fun" concept. :P (if I'm not back on the forums next week, @Iruka has killed my internet persona and buried it in the depths of SE++).

I think I'd like to do a piece (or a few?) that may not be concepts, but are more "illustrations". I've had a handful of ideas floating around, but I never really allow myself to draw them because I always guilt-trip myself about how I'm "not working on a portfolio piece". So yeah. I'm considering doing that.

Also I am in complete love with some of the more "texture-y" artists that I've found this past year, and though it may not be completely unrelated to my career goals, I'd like to try adding some more of that into my work overall. I switch back and forth a lot regarding what I want my art to ultimately "look like" - there are so many amazing styles and striking pieces that I can never decide where exactly I want to go. SO! I think I will try a bit of everything and try to teach myself to be comfortable with style exploration .

5. Make a long term goal

I would like to complete a handful of character designs. I would like to complete at least one environmental design. I would like to fill much of my year with making anatomical studies and figure drawings.

The character designs and environment design may seem like pretty simple goals, but I tend to struggle with worry about if a piece is "good enough for a portfolio", and I will inevitably end up not finishing it as a result. I have been told to "stop agonizing over not having a completely perfectly varied portfolio, and putting all this anxiety on yourself over perfecting a piece whose subject you're weak in, and just do a bunch of pieces of subjects you feel comfortable in, to start". I keep on forgetting that people who are really prolific don't agonize over this stuff like I do - they just whip these pieces out and learn from them. And yeah, not every single piece is a Grade A winner...but if they do 50 pieces, a number of those will be fantastic...and that's a much better option than being so afraid of failure that you don't produce anything, right?

So yes. TL;DR is "complete things without worrying about if they're good enough...just complete things and be more prolific. Good pieces will come from this process, don't worry about making everything perfect". :)

NightDragon on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    2013 I drew a good amount more than 2012, but still not as much as I wanted. And only about 2 digital paintings in total.

AJ Fosik
    Aryz
    Alex Preston

Perspective, color, more human figures/anatomy, and environments.

Wood Carving - that one's big, I've got the tools I just have to do it now. That said, really, just more sculpting in general.

5. Make a long term goal

My job drains me pretty badly, leaving me not wanting to do personal projects or just avoiding them altogether. To fix that:

Setting deadlines every 1-2 weeks. Show progress as well as to make sure I learn something from every project and apply what learned to future projects.

I never set deadlines with my personal projects and I think that's why I tend to not finish personal things. When I have a deadline, I get things done. So from now on I'm setting deadlines for personal projects giving myself only 1-2 weeks to finish them, every 1-2 weeks, FOREVER. Whether it's a sculpture, photo project, or painting, I'm getting that shit done.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited January 2014

Well, I'm not drawing stick figures and squares to represent objects anymore, but I am lacking in some departments. I'm learning to be okay with that and trying to get over my fear of sucking and just start doing. I did get my minor in studio art, but I don't feel I was pushed hard enough (by myself or my professors) in my painting and drawing classes as I was in my graphic design and photography classes. Lately, I've been pushing myself more, but with the fear of posting my stuff for critique, I'm not getting very far. Took a bit to realize that and accept that.

Erika Moen, Emi Lenox, Lucy Knisely, Gigi D.G. (formerly known as Peachifruit/Hiimdaisy) Liz Prince, Alex Ross, Yoshitaka Amano, Jo Chen. I mostly love slice of life artists as you can tell. I do love fine art, don't get me wrong, but maybe I write it off because it's not what I want to do? Maybe this year I should re-look into some fine art and see what I can get influenced by.

-Perspective
    -Anatomy
    -Environments

I'm mostly hoping to do comic books so I feel like these 3 are really important to focus on right now and to really get a good foundation in as I start this process again. Working on all 3 at the same time makes sense because I need all 3 at the same time.

I also do photography and I would love to really get better at photo manipulations and more macabre type stuff. I also recently saw some animation books and I thought that sounded kind of fun.

5. Make a long term goal

I'd basically like to make a thread here and start posting comics and studies every other Sunday (to start with). I have a comic anthology that I plan to submit to in March, and I'd love to take part in the 24-hour comics event come February 1st. I'd also like to begin posting comics and studies to my tumblr as well, probably with the same schedule. I'd like to begin putting in the work for a mini-comic to place in some comic book stores by 2015. I'd also like to learn how to juggle a "real" job with my comic job so I don't get too tired from my real one so as to make excuses for why I'm not working on comics. While comics are great and some do make a living off of them, I feel as though I'd feel better if I had something "stable" (put in quotes because nothing in this economy is truly stable).

edit: Thread probably won't be up until the 9th as I won't have a scanner until then and cell phone pictures do not cut it.

Mim on
  • Options
    Fuck. I Knew I was forgetting something.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

I think I've improved a lot in terms of line confidence and drawing from the shoulder! My drawing 'stamina' has also gone up quite a bit since I started, meaning I can do lessons and personal projects more frequently and for longer periods of time.

I have some major art crushes from this year:

Yuko Ota of Johnny Wander fame is probably my #1 aspirational influence right now. She's amazing!The dynamic poses! The figure drawing! The facial expressions! The COLOR WORK!!

Hattersarts (Some NSFW stuff, just FYI!) is also great, I love her black and white linework.

Aimkid is a little off the wall, but the sheer animated chaos of their work is a joy to watch.

Oh, also Knights of the Light Table (animation studio)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuHe9lm5vUE

Not a huge fan of the song, but the animation for this vid is fantastic.

I really want to drill down on human figure drawing this year. When I think of all the projects I want to draw and what's holding me back from doing them, the biggest stumbling block is I have no clue how to draw people.

Animation! I'm still mired in the basics of course, but I'd love to experiment with some dumb gifs and such.

5. Make a long term goal

Long term, I'd like to learn painting and coloring. I've picked up the CTRL Paint Digital Painting Starter Kit, but will probably save it for after Proko's figure drawing course. For now, I'll start mixing in some Proko figure drawing lessons as I finish up Draw a Box (getting close now). Slightly longer term, I want to design a Christmas card to send out for 2021.

And I just want to give a big "Thank you" to you folks in the Artist's Corner! It's been tremendously helpful to have you all to talk to as I stumble along trying to learn drawing. <3

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    *Hyperventilates*
    At some point last year before most of what I've learnt went away again I did manage to push my linework and copying skills to a higher point compared to my previous attempts.

It's embarrassing but I didn't get much or any influences which I can recall since I was trying to just work on my personal fundamentals, will try to be more diligent this year about this

Colors! Because I have been doing black lines and greyscale which gets pretty dull to be honest

I want to do fanart for vtubers, mainly hololive

5. Make a long term goal
    Somehow become competent enough to build a world as usual

Peas on