As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Extraction. Exploitation. Tubes. [Satisfactory]

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Just so long as they don't take out the ability to stand on he track and jump into the train right as it's about to hit you.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    If they're gonna make trains more complicated I'd really like for them to also make it easier to put down nice looking train tracks.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Peewi wrote: »
    If they're gonna make trains more complicated I'd really like for them to also make it easier to put down nice looking train tracks.

Or maybe some sort of train station with tracks on both sides, at least.

-edit-

Or one of those platforms that rotates a train around.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    So, I got a little problem (No, it wasn't dying repeatedly in poison clouds because I didn't bother to bring a gasmask, shuttup). My Explorer vanished. I can still see it on the compass, but it's not where it's supposed to be. Checking in the Satisfactory Calculator map, it appears to be -216 meters below sealevel. For comparison, the Truck and replacement explorer are nearby and are -15 and -19 meters below sealevel.

Any ideas on how to get in range of that vehicle so I can deconstruct it and get the resources back?

EDIT: Nevermind, was able to change it's z position in the Satisfactory Calculator. Man what an incredible utility.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    If you want to get prepped for signals and collisions with your trains, I cannot adequately recommend OpenTTD. It's an open-source, free fan-made conversion of the game Transport Tycoon Deluxe. And though it has boats and planes and trucks, it's really all about the trains. There's tons of stuff on Youtube and the Wiki that explain how to do signals properly and have lots of great designs for junctions and stuff too. It scratches a similar itch as this game does sometimes, especially with the mods that make the production lines more complex.

After a hundred or so hours in that game, I was able to jump right into the train mechanics in Satisfactory and build my lovely 2-lane train highway.

• Options
    1. Redo Steel Production
    2. Redo Concrete Production
    3. Build Encased Steel Production (inc. Reinforced Modulure Frames)
    4. Expand Power (Probably not for the last time.)
    5. Redo Oil Refinery (Develop rubber, increase plastic, fuel transport and power plants) *in progress*
    6. Enhance Copper Production for eventual Computer Production
    7. Redo Computer Production
    8. Reconveyer Quart/Bauxite Lines, pump up miners
    9. Build Quartz Production
    10. Build Aluminum Production
    11. Get Supercomputer and Turbo Motor production lines up
    12. Get a SAM harvesting line ready

Workin' on my holiday to do list. Refinery is being a real bear and I've only done one 600/m oil node and I've got two left. (One for more plastic, one for rubber), Might take a break and throw up some holiday decorations.

• Options
    1. Redo Steel Production
    5. Redo Oil Refinery (Develop rubber, increase plastic, fuel transport and power plants)

Boo-yah. Just need about 20 or so hours of ingame time and I'll have full storage containers and will start dunking these things in the awesome sink.

Had to rejigger my oil setup because I didn't realize Rubber produced twice as much heavy oil residue as plastic. (Who knew?). Also I didn't realize lines would get backed up when the power wasn't being utilized 100% so I had to make some run offs making petroleum coke to get sent into a woodchipper.

Also built a small autosorter so I can dump random goods and get them sorted into crates for quick access. Still have several buildings I need to properly wall and maybe color. But yeah, I have the two highest tier items being constantly produced.

Only thing I have left to do is set up nuclear power and tweak my setup. Other than that, it'll just be the long, long task of collecting power slugs, hard drives and mercer spheres/somersloops.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    1. Redo Steel Production
    5. Redo Oil Refinery (Develop rubber, increase plastic, fuel transport and power plants)

Boo-yah. Just need about 20 or so hours of ingame time and I'll have full storage containers and will start dunking these things in the awesome sink.

Had to rejigger my oil setup because I didn't realize Rubber produced twice as much heavy oil residue as plastic. (Who knew?). Also I didn't realize lines would get backed up when the power wasn't being utilized 100% so I had to make some run offs making petroleum coke to get sent into a woodchipper.

Also built a small autosorter so I can dump random goods and get them sorted into crates for quick access. Still have several buildings I need to properly wall and maybe color. But yeah, I have the two highest tier items being constantly produced.

Only thing I have left to do is set up nuclear power and tweak my setup. Other than that, it'll just be the long, long task of collecting power slugs, hard drives and mercer spheres/somersloops.

Oh wow, thanks for this info. Explains a nagging issue I'd been unable to resolve and wrote off to 'that's just how it is'

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Oh yeah do not try to Maximize Efficiency by running production off of your fuel waste or vice versa. Unless something has changed with overflow splitter setups since I played last, There Be Backup Dragons.

• Options
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Oh yeah do not try to Maximize Efficiency by running production off of your fuel waste or vice versa. Unless something has changed with overflow splitter setups since I played last, There Be Backup Dragons.

Yeah, I'll repeat my usual advice as well. Make stuff with oil, or make power with oil, but not both. Excess production should just go into the shredder for tickets.

Otherwise you end up in a situation where you are relying on excess production and something gets backed up somewhere and production stops... and then you got problems.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    I set it up so that the residue gets processed by the fuel refineries first, and then any excess goes to refineries making coke for shredders. If the fuel gets backed up and the fuel refineries stop producing, the plastic and rubber production doesn't slow, as the excess byproduct has somewhere to go now.

Before this I just has a huge resoviour that I dumped when stuff got backed up.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Can we talk about Factorio in this thread too? I got it about a week ago and I've been playing a bunch. I got thoroughly screwed right out the gate, as the first map I tried had a biter nest right across from my copper patch. As soon as I set up a couple of burner miners there I got swarmed by more Biters than I could kill with a handful of respawns. I dumped that save and started again with the Biters turned down a bit (I assume, I fiddled with the Biter-related difficulty settings and there wasn't a nest 5 feet from my starting position). I used a lot of the skills I learned from Satisfactory (as opposed to most people, who I assume went the opposite direction) to get a decent base set up, including a main bus. Much more so than with Satisfactory, I see why it's so important.

That said, the game doesn't seem to have much in the way of in-game documentation, unless I'm missing it somewhere. I started setting up robots last night and the game doesn't seem to tell you how any of that stuff works. I think I'm most of the way there due to trial and error, but it seems silly that the game just assumes you'll know how to set up a logistics system. I fumbled enough with the whole advanced oil processing, basically just rigged everything to make petrogas and lubricant. None of my nearby oil seems to be any good; I've got a grand total of 5 wells between 2 different locations. But I scoped out a huge double patch of oil really far from my base, and I think I'll use that as an opportunity to start a train network.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Tynnan wrote: »

Yeah, I'll repeat my usual advice as well. Make stuff with oil, or make power with oil, but not both. Excess production should just go into the shredder for tickets.

Otherwise you end up in a situation where you are relying on excess production and something gets backed up somewhere and production stops... and then you got problems.

I agree with all of this, though thanks to overflow splitters it is now pretty easy and safe to make extra plastic and rubber from the polymer resin fuel byproduct if you want

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Can we talk about Factorio in this thread too? I got it about a week ago and I've been playing a bunch. I got thoroughly screwed right out the gate, as the first map I tried had a biter nest right across from my copper patch. As soon as I set up a couple of burner miners there I got swarmed by more Biters than I could kill with a handful of respawns. I dumped that save and started again with the Biters turned down a bit (I assume, I fiddled with the Biter-related difficulty settings and there wasn't a nest 5 feet from my starting position). I used a lot of the skills I learned from Satisfactory (as opposed to most people, who I assume went the opposite direction) to get a decent base set up, including a main bus. Much more so than with Satisfactory, I see why it's so important.

That said, the game doesn't seem to have much in the way of in-game documentation, unless I'm missing it somewhere. I started setting up robots last night and the game doesn't seem to tell you how any of that stuff works. I think I'm most of the way there due to trial and error, but it seems silly that the game just assumes you'll know how to set up a logistics system. I fumbled enough with the whole advanced oil processing, basically just rigged everything to make petrogas and lubricant. None of my nearby oil seems to be any good; I've got a grand total of 5 wells between 2 different locations. But I scoped out a huge double patch of oil really far from my base, and I think I'll use that as an opportunity to start a train network.

I can't recommend any, as I bounced off of Factorio (I came from Satisfactory and ended up not liking the 2d aspect) but youtube tutorials are going to be your saving grace here. Factorio is SO fucking deep compared to satisfactory.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Yeah, I thought Aluminum production was so complex that it stopped me from playing the game for months. Factorio would destroy me.

• Options
    Yeah, I thought Aluminum production was so complex that it stopped me from playing the game for months. Factorio would destroy me.

Factorio lets you do blueprints though, so once you have a good design you can save it and copy paste, which is a HUGE time saver.

• Options
    my position on highly-complex production lines (like aluminum) is that if you find something so daunting that you'd rather stop playing, it's fine and reasonable to just look up a good setup on the wiki

I understand if that still isn't what you want though

• Options
    I was his being a baby and set up a spaghetti line to learn how it worked which allowed me to do a more permanent (until update 4 at least) setup when I rebuilt everything.

• Options
    Aluminum, as it currently stands, is really only worth doing if you have the alternate recipe.

• Options
    oh god yes, don't make aluminum with petroleum coke

• Options
    Eh, I needed to do something with the heavy oil residue of my first plastic setup, and didn't need that much packaged fuel. and adding 240 coke a minute to my existing train setup was pretty easy.

• Options
    Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular

A lot of stuff is left to trial and error.

2 Kind of Bots: Logistics will move shit about, and Construction will repair shit and build the ghosts you put down.
    Both kinds of bots will pick up from the 5 logistic chests that you can eventually make, if they are in their "Catchment Area", Orange area logistic bots will operate in and Green area Constructions Bots will operate in (this includes the orange area)

These areas can be linked to other ports, to create a network and bots will happily pick up, build and move stuff within that network, if a chest is in an unconnected Network A, it wont move shit to Network B.

Active Provider Chests either send their shit to requesters or to storage/buffers, passive Providers make their contents available if a request exists, requester chests request and buffer/storage is straight forward.
    Some people replace belts with bots as they work better in Mega Factories and impact your FPS/UPS less.

Resources get richer as you venture further away from your starting area and enemies get stronger the more pollution they're exposed to, while Oil wont run out it will eventually only pump 0.1 units a second, all other resources will eventually run out.
    There are Blueprint sites that people share BPs on and FactiorioCheatSheet that will help you work out ratios, but your first few games just go wild and make some Spaghetti

• Options
    Finally got around to finishing my holiday factory. Turned out surprisingly big! It's like 5 floors high. Running just enough to keep a manufacturer making stars at 250% speed, plus a couple machines making stockpiles of the other holiday items that don't get made as part of that line.

It takes like 32 gift trees to run it.

• Options
    RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    Ok. I have gotten to trains. Now to setup the platforms and trains, load up the cars and move to the desert. I like the availability of Iron and such in the desert along with being mostly flat so I don't need to build to up high. Luckily I am not too far from it in the NW of Northern Forest, need to cross the canyon and bingo.

I'll get to that after work this evening.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    Looks like we'll be blending liquids in Update 4.

https://youtu.be/3GWUBpeSuVI

• Options
    Wonder if that will be how we make stuff like turbofuel.

• Options
    I don't think so, they've been pretty open about what production lines are going to be impacted by update 4 and turbofuel wasn't one of them

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Maybe it's like Blentech and you put everything but liquids in it.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    It looks like there's aluminum going in at the bottom. I'm going to guess it's a nuclear thing, probably tied to that plutonium barrel they showed a while back.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    It looks like there's aluminum going in at the bottom. I'm going to guess it's a nuclear thing, probably tied to that plutonium barrel they showed a while back.

Specifically, alclad sheets... and modular frames. That's interesting.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    my guess is project part

• Options

Ooh new patch, I wonder what they added?
    QUALITY OF LIFE

FICS*MAS related items can now be sunk into the AWESOME Sink

Um, holy shit?

• Options
    don't get too excited, the sink value is 1 point for every item

• Options
    Aw. I was hoping the higher tier stuff would be worth something. Had plans to rebuild my holiday factory for those phat points.

• Options
    Finished Factorio yesterday, it was a lot of fun. It really makes me wish Satisfactory had something like Factorio's robots to help you scale things more rapidly. I recall someone here saying that mass copy paste kills PCs so it's not really an option, but they could maybe do something like placing the ghosts in Factorio and have an automated machine move around and place them one at a time. That way the player could set up the plan, provide all the materials, and then go walk away and do something else for a while and come back to a mostly complete factory.

I got an achievement on completion for beating the game without logistics networks, though I definitely used a whole bunch of red and yellow chests. I looked and apparently I unlocked a few other colors that do things? Based on the achievement, it would appear that these are super useful things. Is there a detailed write-up somewhere about how to use them? Other than just using them to let logistics robots obviate conveyor belts in tihht spaces, I don't really see the point.

For that matter, I'd also welcome a similar write up on the logic circuits. The only ones I used were to pump out heavy and light fuel for cracking when they were about to back up my refineries, and that was after looking up solutions to that exact problem.

I think my next game is gonna be a train world. I used a few towards the end of this game, but I really only needed one for oil. I just added an iron train and a green circuit train because I wanted to.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    WHOA!!

• Options
    Well that seems fun!

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I'd have liked a mention of whether these new nodes will replace existing oil nodes or if the two types will coexist.

If the update breaks fuel power plant setups, that'll be a pain to get fixed.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    I'd have liked a mention of whether these new nodes will replace existing oil nodes or if the two types will coexist.

If the update breaks fuel power plant setups, that'll be a pain to get fixed.

I doubt they will replace the existing oil wells. These new ones seem analogous to natural gas extraction? Naming the new ones "oil" is definitely a source of confusion though.