As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hades] Supergiant Roguelite. Out now! (Switch/Steam/Epic)

• chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    What's the deal with Erebus gates anyway?

It's a room, where there is a variety of enemies and you only get the reward if you don't take damage. The rewards are better than a standard room, like higher chance of a epic boon, pom is +2, more money, etc.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular

If you have the Heat you can enter, but you only win the chamber reward if you are not hit at all. The rewards are better than regular room awards though (hearts give +50HP, gold is +200, boons higher quality etc.)

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    The low-key best part of gates is they always give you 3 room choices coming out of one. I think they can also give you an extra room in an area, if you get one exactly on the room before the final shop/empty room.

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    But if you fail, your reward is you only get healed for 1HP, so only go in if you're good at avoiding damage.

steam_sig.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2020

seinfeld.jpg

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Daimar wrote: »
    But if you fail, your reward is you only get healed for 1HP, so only go in if you're good at avoiding damage.

Any chance "don't get hit" has a different meaning here which means "get hit a lot"? Because if so I'm probably gonna be great with Erebus gates.

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    my favorite thing in this game is spending Gems at the House Contractor to put up Extravagant Decorations and then Dad always makes a snide remark like "BOY, WHO AUTHORIZED YOU TO PURCHASE SUCH A HIDEOUS THING. BEGONE FROM MY SIGHT, NOW." and i just giggle as i put a disco ball in the lounge and then change Dad's throne to be Cerby styled

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
    I love making inspiring speeches to the shades and watching as they roll their eyes at me.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Not getting hit...not even once?

Lol never ever gonna do that successfully.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Not getting hit...not even once?

Lol never ever gonna do that successfully.

I didn’t think I could do it either, but pulled it off several times in the first 5-heat variants.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I just cleared the epilogue!
    it was fun! A happy ending on top of the happy ending we already got. I liked the new art. I appreciated the musings on family and the lies we tell to be good too reach other. I thought it made sense for this weird family.

I did miss a dialogue between Demeter and Persephone. I felt like if Chaos and Nyx can talk then so could those two.

Was it too much of a grind? I'm not sure, but I do feel like I am now completely done playing the game.

• Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Sneaks wrote: »
    In terms of my post-Epilogue goals, all I really have left is finishing Dusa’s material. I even managed to beat…
    Charon
    …twice in a row! (Thank you, Coronacht! I’m sure more skilled players than I have done it, but I can’t imagine beating him with a melee weapon; his reach is insanely long given the size of his arena, and he hits like a freight train.)

Dealing with him in melee is mostly just a matter of learning his patterns and the windows you can attack in. Make sure you're bringing double dash so you can clear out in a hurry.

• SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Road Block wrote: »
    Sneaks wrote: »
    In terms of my post-Epilogue goals, all I really have left is finishing Dusa’s material. I even managed to beat…
    Charon
    …twice in a row! (Thank you, Coronacht! I’m sure more skilled players than I have done it, but I can’t imagine beating him with a melee weapon; his reach is insanely long given the size of his arena, and he hits like a freight train.)

Dealing with him in melee is mostly just a matter of learning his patterns and the windows you can attack in. Make sure you're bringing double dash so you can clear out in a hurry.

Yeah, extra dashes would be a must, I imagine.

Sneaks on
    Welp. I'm big dumb, because in the 188 hours that I've played Hades, I literally didn't realize that Achilles Aspect also increased Cast damage. I thought it was Attack and Special, like Hades Aspect, so I was like "why would I ever pick this one hmmm"

Reading is hard. And so,

Ep5cyrDWMAEY-uH.jpg
    Ep5cypZW8AAPP6L.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bo2SpJzysA

I think this is probably the highest DPS build I've ever played. Absolutely fucking insane. The most fun run I've ever had. Crystal Beam just ripping away Dad's healthpool like a hot knife through butter.

DNiDlnb.png
    Dibby wrote: »
    Welp. I'm big dumb, because in the 188 hours that I've played Hades, I literally didn't realize that Achilles Aspect also increased Cast damage. I thought it was Attack and Special, like Hades Aspect, so I was like "why would I ever pick this one hmmm"

Reading is hard. And so,

Ep5cyrDWMAEY-uH.jpg
    Ep5cypZW8AAPP6L.jpg

I think this is probably the highest DPS build I've ever played. Absolutely fucking insane. The most fun run I've ever had. Crystal Beam just ripping away Dad's healthpool like a hot knife through butter.

That was a crazy final fight, although I must admit, I'm a bit disappointed you didn't show us what fish you caught after the run. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Dibby wrote: »

Reading is hard. And so,

Ep5cyrDWMAEY-uH.jpg
    Ep5cypZW8AAPP6L.jpg

That was a crazy final fight, although I must admit, I'm a bit disappointed you didn't show us what fish you caught after the run. :)

A Sturgeon!!

DNiDlnb.png
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I remain steadfast in my belief that the sword is the worst weapon in the game. Going through and doing heat runs, and every other weapon was a breeze for heat 1 clears. The sword though? I just hate it. Maybe I should spend some blood and try different aspects and see if that helps. Haven't unlocked the secret aspect for it, so that one is out for now.

• EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    I remain steadfast in my belief that the sword is the worst weapon in the game. Going through and doing heat runs, and every other weapon was a breeze for heat 1 clears. The sword though? I just hate it. Maybe I should spend some blood and try different aspects and see if that helps. Haven't unlocked the secret aspect for it, so that one is out for now.

I was exactly in the same boat. Now I enjoy all the sword aspects, and it is one of my more reliable weapons. I think in general a couple of things helped me 'get' the sword. First was that you want to dash while using the special to reduce the window you are vunerable, secondly you want to dash-attack or attack more frequently and not just spam the special.
    The upside of Poseidon is that it allows you to build around not using the sword as your primary damage source, which might be perfect for you.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Unlocked the final prophecy of the epilogue. One more push and I can be free by Christmas!

MhCw7nZ.gif
    And done! And going to leave it there. The only significant plot points I had left were Achilles' plot (which seems to be turning out very similar to Orpheus and Sisyphus so I can probably guess how ends) and any of the romances, which to be honest I wasn't really feeling with any of the characters anyway.

Fabulous game.

Not letting myself do any more runs (because it is addictive as well as fabulous and I want to stop) so can any one spoil me on if anything much happens post epilogue?
    Like does the winter scene for the Hades battle warm up? Or any references to Demeter removing the eternal chill?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/sy8GU_19V4E

12 Hour Hades Yule Log for your celebratory needs.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Not letting myself do any more runs (because it is addictive as well as fabulous and I want to stop) so can any one spoil me on if anything much happens post epilogue?
    Like does the winter scene for the Hades battle warm up? Or any references to Demeter removing the eternal chill?
    There is no visual change. Dialogue describes changes to the greater world but lampshades the fact that the battle arena itself stays snowy.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    The best amount of Darkness:
    l5rapzninn8d.png

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

I've only had a few clears so far - two rail, one bow, one fists but I don't really hate the sword, just find it's mediocre.

I don't expect to win with it especially since it didn't come together the way I wanted, but my active run is a Cursed Slash + Flurry Slash build I put together where I focused on dodge / damage reduction and all possible 'on damage' boons along with an epic Hermes Swift Strike and a rare chaotic attack boon . The goal being just face-tanking pretty much everything and letting everything proc when they do land hits.

I think it would be viable on if I got the Ares / Zeus 'trigger revenge every 3 seconds' boon to supplement taking damage but it just didn't roll.

I saved at Hades so I'll see how it goes after work. Haven't burned a single deaths defiance so far and barely did any dodging - mostly annoying shit like the crystal lasers or poison in styx.

I wish the Pact of Punishment had an option to add more rooms (thus more poms / boons) per region though. One thing I really liked about Risk of Rain is it lets you loop back through and stack your items to ridiculousness and Hades would be v. fun if you could do the same. Sometimes it feels like a build is just coming together and you're already to the end.

zagdrob wrote: »

I've only had a few clears so far - two rail, one bow, one fists but I don't really hate the sword, just find it's mediocre.

I don't expect to win with it especially since it didn't come together the way I wanted, but my active run is a Cursed Slash + Flurry Slash build I put together where I focused on dodge / damage reduction and all possible 'on damage' boons along with an epic Hermes Swift Strike and a rare chaotic attack boon . The goal being just face-tanking pretty much everything and letting everything proc when they do land hits.

I think it would be viable on if I got the Ares / Zeus 'trigger revenge every 3 seconds' boon to supplement taking damage but it just didn't roll.

I saved at Hades so I'll see how it goes after work. Haven't burned a single deaths defiance so far and barely did any dodging - mostly annoying shit like the crystal lasers or poison in styx.

I wish the Pact of Punishment had an option to add more rooms (thus more poms / boons) per region though. One thing I really liked about Risk of Rain is it lets you loop back through and stack your items to ridiculousness and Hades would be v. fun if you could do the same. Sometimes it feels like a build is just coming together and you're already to the end.

That seems a good build, hopefully works out for you!

I did solve my hatred for the sword, though. Turns out the Poseidon Aspect is fun as hell! Just zipping around, blasting dudes with magic and then grabbing those crystals right back with the special.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Posidon is indeed hilarious. Especially with the Artemis "dropped casts hurt enemies" boon.

Went for that in my last run. Instead the game kept giving me +attack bonuses. By the time I was done the third hit in the sword combo was smacking for ~700

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

I did solve my hatred for the sword, though. Turns out the Poseidon Aspect is fun as hell! Just zipping around, blasting dudes with magic and then grabbing those crystals right back with the special.

Going full-bore Poseidon is actually pretty hilarious. By the time you get to the end you just kill stuff by running into it and slamming it against the nearest wall over and over again. In the temple corridors you just throw a single cast or ranged attack and stuff dies on its own because the rooms are so small.

Going full-bore Poseidon is actually pretty hilarious. By the time you get to the end you just kill stuff by running into it and slamming it against the nearest wall over and over again. In the temple corridors you just throw a single cast or ranged attack and stuff dies on its own because the rooms are so small.

I also love going Poseidon/Demeter for the crazy water/ice spam. Pair their duo cast with the boon that makes full stack chill enemies explode out nova damage is just...so much screen spam.

• flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Mannnnn the secret boss reward is NOT worth the fight, fun battle though

y59kydgzuja4.png
    Mannnnn the secret boss reward is NOT worth the fight, fun battle though

It most definitely is, when you can do the fight reliably.
    300 coins PLUS a 20% off discount on all future Charon purchases (incl Wells) is extreeeeeemely good. Super duper good. The 300 is enough to get two Boons right off the bat and still leave you with a solid chunk of change after. It's always been worth it in my runs!

DNiDlnb.png
    I mean yeah, if I was good at it then the reward would probably be worth it. But I fought him for the first time in Tartarus with like no boons yet so he ate all my DDs and most of my health. In that case it definitely hurt me more than it helped in that run.

y59kydgzuja4.png
    I mean yeah, if I was good at it then the reward would probably be worth it. But I fought him for the first time in Tartarus with like no boons yet so he ate all my DDs and most of my health. In that case it definitely hurt me more than it helped in that run.

To be fair, that's probably going to happen to anyone the first time they face him. Much like every boss and enemy though, you'll learn the patterns over time, and boy is his reward nice.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I'm pretty risk averse in this game, I avoid miniboss rooms and rarely do troves as it is. I just don't see myself potentially sabotaging an otherwise successful run by attempting a very difficult boss fight for that particular reward. If it was for a bonus hammer or something, maybe.

y59kydgzuja4.png
    edited January 2021

To be fair, that's probably going to happen to anyone the first time they face him. Much like every boss and enemy though, you'll learn the patterns over time, and boy is his reward nice.

Yeah...
    I'm at the point now where I know I can finish a given run pretty consistently while I'm climbing Heat, but I'm more than happy to pick Charon early to learn the fight properly. I've only done it three times so far and I definitely don't have his pattern down - the first two times I barely got out while losing Death Defiances in the process but the third time I just got straight bodied because I took him in Tartarus without a good boon. I'm pretty sure you can avoid nearly everything he does if you have enough practice.

Inquisitor77 on
    edited January 2021
    Edit: Oops wrong thread

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

Yeah, the run after my first clear I was like 'huh, borrow 300 coins?' don't mind if I do when I had like...a hammer and two boons at that point? Of course I was going to give it a try.

Got slaughtered as would be expected.

I can definitely see where the coins and discount really pay off once you're able to reliably clear him though. I assume the discount also applies to his shop in Styx? I've only had one run where I was able to clear him out and get the diamond / titan's blood he has for sale so far, somehow I got a chaos boon, ocean's bounty, and side hustle all in Tartarus and had like 2500 coins to clear him out by the time I made it to the top.

I realized the magnetic fists are great with Slicing Shot, create blade rifts then pull enemies right into them.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I realized the magnetic fists are great with Slicing Shot, create blade rifts then pull enemies right into them.

Hunting Blades duo boon is essential for Slicing Shot imo.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    The magnetic fists run was going so well until goddamn armored giant rats. Fuck I hate those things. I feel like the final, larger chamber at the end of "normal" satyr tunnels is often harder than the miniboss tunnels. Like, 4 waves of armored satyrs, giant rats, and snakestones, plus poison gas and flying sawblades, really?

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    He is MUCH EASIER if you only ever fight him in Elysium. I'm not skilled enough to dunk on him in Tartarus so the ONLY time I go for him is if I see him up in Elysium.

Ironically with your strat of avoiding miniboss rooms, you're going to be more likely to have opportunities to fight him -- his money bag doesn't appear in the room right before the final boss, only if you run into him elsewhere.

He's still EXTREMELY worth it to fight up in Elysium, because that discount applies to the store in the Cerberus room where everything is crazy expensive. Meaning: if you think you're going to botch the run in Styx, you can still afford to buy the Titan Blood or Diamond, and you'll probably have enough to buy some of those extra-powerful boons to give yourself an edge.

I'd say if you run across the money bag in Elysium and your build isn't total pants, give it a shot up there. And then keep in mind the advice we've given elsewhere in the thread, namely that he's v e r y slow and telegraphs very big even if he hits like a truck.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/